TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

These are some possible coasters they can build:

-Maurer Sohne Mini-Sky Loop Extended

-Intamin Half-Pipe Coaster (perfect for surf theme)

-A compact Zierer ESC

-Intamin ZacSpin (the smaller model would probably be built)

-Zamperla MotoCoaster

From the SCBB Facebook page:

"The new ride replacing the Hurricane is indeed a coaster. And is VERY "Boardwalkish". You're gonna love it!! -ds"

To me, this just screams either a wild mouse, or a spinner.

Mercury News article states this as well, also pushing the idea of a spinning coaster:

When we announce what the new ride will be, people are going to be pretty thrilled with it,” Lipton said. “If you follow Boardwalk history or appreciate amazing thrills, you're going to love this new ride.

Since SCBB did have mouse back in the day, this seems to be highly likely. The "Amazing Thrills" I could see being the spinning element. And since rides seem to be replaced with something similar (Compact coaster Jet Star being taken over by compact coaster Hurricane...).

I'm locking in my guess and going to stick with a Maurer Sohne S-Coaster.

However Boardwalkish could also be some kind of thematic element or they could just be referring to the fact that it will be named along the lines of many of the other rides as something to do with the sea

Possibly something like Sea Rescue at Sea World in Australia

However Boardwalkish could also be some kind of thematic element or they could just be referring to the fact that it will be named along the lines of many of the other rides as something to do with the sea

Exactly what I was thinking. Although bringing back a Wild Mouse-style coaster does seem like a logical possibility, I could also see the hint referring to ocean or boardwalk theming on any of a number of coaster types.

^ That would be interesting. Pandemonium is 177 feet wide, and the Hurricane deck is only 170 feet wide, so unless they made some sort of major modification to the deck, I don't see that happening. Rumor has it that back in the early 2000s when Hurricane was originally supposed to be replaced, the park ran into a similar size issue when trying to fit a wild mouse ride, with the deck being just a few feet too short for the ride. The plan was scrapped.

My vote is on a Maurer SC 2000. The ride is very close in size and height to Hurricane.

Anyone have any ideas on what the new ride will be called? All we have to do is think of a weather-related name that hasn't been used yet! That rules out: Crazy Surf, Cyclone, Hurricane, Riptide, Tornado, Tsunami, Typhoon, Video Storm, Whirlwind, Wipeout (Chance), WipeOut (Huss)

I suppose they could call it the "new" Hurricane... but I hope they pick something more original.

Possible names:

*Windstorm (which would be ironic)

*Blizzard

*Storm Surge

*Tidal Wave

*Maelstrom

Perhaps they can name it Jet Star like the coaster Hurricane replaced though it's not very boardwalkish.

If they were to place a Wild Mouse coaster, naming it Wild Mouse is very boardwalkish and it was a name of a former coaster in SCBB.

Also, I checked Zamperla's websites and these are coasters that are able to fit in Hurricane's location:

Twister Coaster: 138' X 39'. These spinning mice coasters are perfect for SCBB, they also free up a good 30+ feet on the deck, so possibly a kiddie ride or the queue can go there.

Moto Coaster: 159' X 69'. The moto coaster is a nice, small launched coaster, though the launch might give the deck a forward motion that might damage it.

Volare: 169' X 81'. I really hope this won't come to SCBB, but it does give a unique experience to Northern California as it would be NorCal's only flying coaster.

Is there a way to build on to or modify the deck for a slightly larger ride or is that just not possible?

It's possible, but it would be very expensive and wouldn't be worth it.

Also, I found some good videos on youtube reflecting on Hurricane & Jet Star 2:

A commercial for Hurricane in the opening year, 1992:

A POV of Jet Star 2 when it was in Thrillville, 1999:

Screamscape regarding the Hurricane at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk:

(3/26/12) The local news has confirmed that the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has put the venerable Hurricane coaster up for sale (listed at Ital for $500,000) and are currently in talks with several companies about building a replacement attraction. They don’t come out and say it will be a roller coaster, but if your going to remove one, you typically had better be planning on replacing it with an even better one. Plus I’ve heard rumors that SCBB wanted to replace Hurricane for years with something better. I’m guessing we’ll see something along the lines of a compact Gerstlauer EuroFighter style coaster, a spinning coaster or maybe something much more unique like an S&S El Loco would also be a great fit. Stay tuned!

Screamscape regarding the Hurricane at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk:

(3/26/12) The local news has confirmed that the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has put the venerable Hurricane coaster up for sale (listed at Ital for $500,000) and are currently in talks with several companies about building a replacement attraction. They don’t come out and say it will be a roller coaster, but if your going to remove one, you typically had better be planning on replacing it with an even better one. Plus I’ve heard rumors that SCBB wanted to replace Hurricane for years with something better. I’m guessing we’ll see something along the lines of a compact Gerstlauer EuroFighter style coaster, a spinning coaster or maybe something much more unique like an S&S El Loco would also be a great fit. Stay tuned!

Stuff we pretty much already knew or had guessed.