TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't post much, but I read this site a few times daily. I would happily pay $40 to be in Club TRP. I haven't been on a trip yet, was going to this year but real life is currently in the way.

One thing I'd like to see, and this may already happen, but when the trips roll through towns where members may live, if they are members they can join up at their local park for the ERTs and fun events for the day. Like I said that may be the case, but if not, would be fun. I'd join up for the WoF, Silver Dollar City and St. Louis stops.

Anyways, count me in.

I just feel so isolated from the theme park world out here in Colorado, and we all know TPR isn't going to come to Elitch Gardens any time soon. My concern is my location (my problem, not TPR's). I mean, the nearest legitimate park is a solid 7 hour drive and I still can't rent a car due to age, so travelling to any of the events would make it difficult. So, yes the idea is awesome, but it just seems less feasible for me.

I do like the possibility of park discounts, since I travel a lot on my own, I just foresee a difficulty in getting to all the club TPR events. I'm still voting yes for interested though since there seems to be enough offered for even people far away from a theme park.

I too was thinking about joining ACE but I've, so far, purchased products from TRP. So I would make this club my first choice. I also agree with the other post about the specials for one's own home state for the ERT's and fun events. I'd love to meet club members when In Georgia, until I can travel with the group.

So far everything with this group is Top's!! I've stated a RC's in the Raw collection and saving for volume 4. love you guys

2. Could you consider calling it NOT 'Club TPR' ?

And we quite like the name "Club TPR" as oddly enough, it's what we've been calling it for short for a long time and then I noticed other people started randomly using it to!

--Robb

For the record...I like "Club TPR", I just want to know when the video game will come out. I'm a penguin fan, but I'm sick of all the Club Penguin love from the kids in my life. I think a Club TPR game with a little TPR trip flair would be awesome!

Also, I'm catching up on posts. I've noticed some saying to send little or no stuff with the membership. I also want to go on record saying I'll be happy to get whatever TPR bags of crap you want to send me! I love free stuff and I love TPR stuff...mail that is not a bill in general is pretty exciting to me!

The $40.00 is still a bargain, I'm still happy to pay it, and I'll look forward to getting some more TPR mints and a name badge whenever you're ready!

--KerryB

I personally have very mixed feelings about this, but ended up voting YES in the poll.

For me, this site is about two things;

1. DVDs which we use extensively to plan trips, and

2. TPR trips

I have a few thoughts to pass on;

1. TPR Plus sounds better than Club TPR - less cliquey and more about what is being offered.

2. Don't upset the currently fair system of trip allocation - as I see it the fair way would be past trip participants > premium members > non premium members.

3. Participation in a trip = free premium membership for 12 months.

4. I for one would resent a two-tiered trip experience where premium members would have a better trip experience than non premium members. Given the $ involved in a trip, especially for families and OS participants, this seems an inappropriately harsh penalty for non members. A way around this may be to mandate membership to even be considered for a TPR trip.

Great feedback Michael! Some responses....

I personally have very mixed feelings about this, but ended up voting YES in the poll.

For me, this site is about two things;

1. DVDs which we use extensively to plan trips, and

2. TPR trips

I have a few thoughts to pass on;

1. TPR Plus sounds better than Club TPR - less cliquey and more about what is being offered.

2. Don't upset the currently fair system of trip allocation - as I see it the fair way would be past trip participants > premium members > non premium members.

3. Participation in a trip = free premium membership for 12 months.

4. I for one would resent a two-tiered trip experience where premium members would have a better trip experience than non premium members. Given the $ involved in a trip, especially for families and OS participants, this seems an inappropriately harsh penalty for non members. A way around this may be to mandate membership to even be considered for a TPR trip.

1. The reason why I'm sory of leaning towards something with "club" in it is mainly it's a concept parks understand and can get behind. And if I think that we can get more with a name that will resonate with the parks, it will be a good move. I'd say that's my #1 reason for going with "club."

2. We won't upset the fair system. We will make it work. At the end of the day we have a very, very hard time turning away people for trips. If we have enough people to either open up another bus, another trip, or come up with other options we will.

3. I see your point, but to be honest we would probably just end up raising the trip price by $40 to cover the cost of the membership.

4. There would absoultely not be any "two tiered" thing going on. To give you a couple of examples - at Holiday Park I was told we could have a couple of people climb the lift of GeForce - in this case now I'd give that option to a Premium member first. At Hersheypark we had the option of having about 20 people go on a quick backstage tour.

We would not have "two trip experiences" but if there was a perk that was being offered to me on a very limited case by case basis, this is a way for me to choose who gets to do that. And even still, there is no guarantee I wouldn't just raffle it off, so to speak, to the entire group.

Hope that all helps!

--Robb

Hey Robb, I'm just wondering: is there a percentage of users you expect to become premium vs. those who choose not to? Do you think Club TPR will be the minority or the majority, particularly among active users?

I honestly am not sure. I will say that I'm expecting at least 354 people to sign up for it though!

Seriously, if I thought we couldn't do 500 Club TPR members in the first year, we wouldn't be moving forward with this.

What I am *hoping* is that the perks and the other club offerings would be so compelling that everyone would want to join, but that doesn't mean the experince for non-members would lessen at all.

--Robb

Robb, with the pricing of trips and the pricing of the exclusive club membership, what are the chances that people would just put aside the extra for the membership before buying their trip deposits? It's not an awful lot extra compared to the trip as a whole, even counting it in terms of the separate payments. Would you look back at membership "loyalty" eg. who's been in Club TPR longest or some other way? I know you've probably already thought of this and my apologies if it's been addressed in the thread and I missed it.

Robb, with the pricing of trips and the pricing of the exclusive club membership, what are the chances that people would just put aside the extra for the membership before buying their trip deposits? It's not an awful lot extra compared to the trip as a whole, even counting it in terms of the separate payments. Would you look back at membership "loyalty" eg. who's been in Club TPR longest or some other way? I know you've probably already thought of this and my apologies if it's been addressed in the thread and I missed it.

If people want to join Club TPR right before signing up for a trip to have a better chance of getting on said trip I think that's a VERY SMART idea and buys that person a little additional "insurance" of getting on that trip.

Again I will say this, if we end up having so many Club TPR members that they fill an entire bus and we still have a ton of non-members left over on a wait list, that is a GREAT problem for us to have!

It means we have to come up with a solution to try and figure out a way to get everyone on that trip.

And while we may not be able to accomodate everyone, we WILL make sure Club TPR members have the best possible chance of getting into a trip, but there is still no guarantee. Keep that in mind.

As for if we would take someone based on the length of their membership, that would be on a case-by-case basis. I do see your point though, let's say we have three Club TPR members on the wait list. Do we take the guy that joined Club TPR yesterday or the guy who's been a Club TPR member for three years?

We'll cross that bridge when we get there, but I will say those three Club TPR members would be on the TOP of the wait list over non-members regardless of when they joined.

--Robb "We will make best efforts to get EVERYONE who wants to be on a TPR trip on a TPR trip!" Alvey

1. This is an amazing deal! Who wouldn't want to be a part of it?

2. Nope

3. Yes

4. I'm only 14, therefore I don't have enough and/or any money to join .

5. This club is a great alternative to clubs like ACE it's loaded with many convincing perks. Good luck with this!

At first I want to wish a happy new year to Robb, Elissa and KidTums and to all of you members! Had to work the last days so I didn´t join in these topic sooner.

1. What are your initial thoughts?

Cool Idea!!! And I watching closely these topic.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

...Right now I can´t think of one...

3. Is this something that interests you?

Yes definitively. I joined these TPR-Forum as a member, cause IMO you have the best site worldwide and still offering more and more interesting things here, than all the other real CLUBS offer - especially the ones in Europe!

So If you will check out to be the first WORLD WIDE COASTER CLUB, I would be proud to be a member!!!

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

50$ international is OK and I understand these fee cost problem. After opening topic I would have told you, that I would be happier without the quarterly publication, but after your more detailed explanation I wish to got it I did like your bonus you send me in the last TPR-Shop package!!! So this wouldn´t be a reason anymore to NOT get in.

But, I hope your International offers - for park sponsored events, discounts and some Invites to ERT will be realized, too. Especially not only in the UK. Didn´t read about some on the site til now - excepting on your TRIPS or in the UK??? Wish you can tell more detailed information in that???

In my opinion this will get the biggest potential, cause in Europe you don´t have such a big possibility, to get a Season Passes which gives you a larger range of parks you can visit - OK, excepting UK again... There you have an Option by the Merlin Group, but only for UKers - so you would offer something like an alternative.

Would be a great imagination... You´re going to visit a park in Europe showing your TPR Premium Member Card (CLUB-TPR) and you´re welcome, while they would say "Ohhh, A member of TPR... Greetings to the Alveys"

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

I understand the apprehensions some Forum Members posted, but I think we all can trust in you and Elissa - all you have done before was the best for everyones position and I don´t think you won´t do again!

By the way, I didn´t mention these points above, cause I don´t know if it is possible to do so:

- getting HD Material Videos (in the Store)

- organized Ridetime to film official on the Rides (maybe a possible Premium Member Option?)

- Coffee Cup with TPR-Logo

I feel confident you will reach 500 Club TPR members this year!

Why Club TPR and not TPR Club?

Ok now I can't wait to sign up. Thanks Robb for posting the update on the front of the page. Also the Hershey Park backstage tour sounds awesome. I do have one question though. How would family members be handled with club events? Like would you do something like ACE does with guests of members at events or would it strictly be club TPR members? If so, would you offer a family membership option? Thanks again!

Just wanted to post my YES vote!

I'm already happy to feel a part of Theme Park Review and with TPR becoming a volunteer paid membership, for me, it gives TPR a more valid name to the Enthusiast Group or Club, Rather than just a website. TPR stopped being just a website I visited online back in 08 and I don't see that changing.

I think this is a good step forward for Theme Park Review, Robb and Elissa, and us, the members!! I will gladly pay to be a part of Club TPR!!!

I haven't been able to check this topic untill today and I know I am a bit late - most things have already been covered - but you wanted opinions so I thought I should air my views!

I honestly think 'Club TPR' sounds a bit pretentious but after your explanaition Robb I completely understand, if it gets you more recognition from the parks (Although most would already know and love TPR from previous trips) then it is worth it, gives the premium membership more perks.

Can I see myself joining? Honestly?... I think I'd have to wait and see how it pans out in the first year, as an international member (UK) I would worry it is more difficult for you to arrange park discounts etc for us, which I understand, but would possibly put me off as I don't think I'd get value for money.

On the subject of the $15 store credit, I agree for some it doesn't seem a good option but I think if you worded it differently maybe it would have seemed a better deal, for example if you said that included in your membership you can choose a free T-Shirt from the TPR Store or you receive a TPR Hoody in your membership pack or something along those lines people will likely see that as more of a perk. I have to say though that I personally like the $15 idea because it means you can choose whatever you want, be it T-Shirts, DVD's or Downloads.

My main concern is that I don't want to see TPR divided by the two levels of membership. TPR has always been a very friendly and accepting community in the few years I have been reading and enjoying it, I know we have the mods and Robb and Elissa are in charge overall but there has never seemed to be any real hiararchy, everyone's opinion counts.

For example, Robb is quite happy to comment on any subject, add his opinions, share in other people's and on the odd occasion I am sure he would admit when he is wrong - no different to any other member, there is no real bias between a member who has 1000posts or one who has 100 - as long as they enter into the spirit of TPR and are not wasting everyone's time with spam and poor quality posts they are treated as an equal member of TPR.

My worry is that this new system could alienate people from TPR by dividing a close community in two. I know that I won't be joining Club TPR straight away and I would hate to feel like I was a lesser member of TPR because of that.

However, I must also pass on my thanks to Robb and Elissa for putting forward this idea and putting a lot of time and effort into it, I know you are always striving to provide the best possible experience for every possible member and that it is not easy to do this without some kind of financial contribution from the membership of the site and dividing opinions. Thank you for all your hard work, and although I have my doubts and concerns about Club TPR I wish you the best of luck in getting this idea to become a reality.

I hope you can pull this off and create a better TPR for all the members, sorry to not be 100% behind you on this one but I am sure you will do your best to make this idea work for everyone.

Happy New Year to everyone on TPR, apologies for the long post!

Matt

While we are still working through a lot of things, I will say we have had very positive feedback from Holiday World, Beech Bend, and Cedar Point, and it looks as though Club TPR members would be approved to attend their annual events like HoliWood Nights, Rumblefest, and CoasterMania.

I'll have more details soon as we start putting things together.

--Robb "A big thank you to those parks for working with us on this project!" Alvey

That would be AMAZING if we could start to attend those events. I live in Cincinnati, and go to college in Bowling Green Ohio, so I'm no less than 2-3 hours away from any of those parks at any given time. Not to mention that CP has become my "home away from home" park while I'm at school.