TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

As we spoke earlier about a donation of some kind I think that this a perfect way to support TPR and let them know that you really appreciate the things they're doing. Even if you never would go on a trip..!

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

So far the description and the benefits are clear. I don't know how many members from Europe are involved, but hopefully you can set up some things for us too in the parks over here (Netherlands, Germany, England)...!

3. Is this something that interests you?

This is something that interests me and hopefully put an extra dollar in the Theme Park Review fund too...! Being on a trip once and certainly not the last one sounds this plan as music to my ears.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

EXACTLY..!! ;o))

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

So far so good..! Where do I sign up ;o))?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm chiming in a little late, but as an international member of TPR I strongly support this step. It seems logical to me, as TPR has grown well beyond just a 'forum'. And if it helps us establish even better relations with theme parks around the world, then all the better.

I'm going on a trip next year, which make the perks all the more appealing, but I'd still be delighted to support upgrading to premium membership as I think it's a great way to support the work Robb and Elissa are doing. It is so cool to visit a website like TPR during my 'downtime Downunder' when I'm far away from theme parks. Doing so inspired me to get on a trip in the first place! So yes, absolutely, 100% support from where I'm standing!

I think this sounds excellent! Which is strange because I've never had any real urge to join a "coaster club" before but somehow, once the TPR name goes on it I'm all of a sudden VERY interested!

I know a lot of people will have different reasons for wanting to join but for me it's about supporting TPR and thanking them for all the amazing stuff they've done for me over the years. If I get some park benefits and stuff out of it then even better!

Yes!

The only reason that I might not be interested in this would be if I was in trouble financially and I couldn't justify the costs. But seeing as I've been making financial sacrifices in my life to fund TPR stuff for years now I'm pretty certain I'll be taking up this scheme.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

It's interesting that a lot of the international members seem to be slightly more resistant to this than the US members. I'm wondering if it's maybe because the concept of a "coaster club" with entrance to park sponsored events and the like is a bit more of an less known concept outside the US. I know the ECC exists but I've never really encountered an event in Europe where you had to be a member of a club to attend. So I think that's why some of the international members are not completely seeing the value in this.

I think these members should have a look at how much Robb and Elissa champion the non-US parks, especially compared to any other US based enthusiast circle. TPR have always offered great value for money. Even if their products aren't the cheapest on the market you ALWAYS get extra quality back in return for the higher pricepoint and that's why I'm always happy to pay that bit extra for TPR offerings. So if Robb says that there will be great stuff on offer to international members then I trust that the value for money will be fantastic.

I'm looking forward to the next stage of TPR's evolution.

It's interesting that a lot of the international members seem to be slightly more resistant to this than the US members. I'm wondering if it's maybe because the concept of a "coaster club" with entrance to park sponsored events and the like is a bit more of an less known concept outside the US. I know the ECC exists but I've never really encountered an event in Europe where you had to be a member of a club to attend. So I think that's why some of the international members are not completely seeing the value in this. .

I would like to disagree with you on this one. I think there are enough examples of meeting organised by for example FKF, Themepark.nl, EP-fanclub, etc. Also some european parks have decided some years ago to not deal with all these clubs separately but to organise one fanday per year. So I would think most european fans at least have a good idea of what a park sponsored event would look like.

ECC have some discounts for some parks, and they organise trips.

I think these members should have a look at how much Robb and Elissa champion the non-US parks, especially compared to any other US based enthusiast circle. TPR have always offered great value for money. Even if their products aren't the cheapest on the market you ALWAYS get extra quality back in return for the higher pricepoint and that's why I'm always happy to pay that bit extra for TPR offerings. So if Robb says that there will be great stuff on offer to international members then I trust that the value for money will be fantastic.

Yes you have a valid argument here, but initially I, and some others , thougt the focus would be mainly on the states. Robb has explained that he is also looking at parks in europe and other parts of the world. So thing seem to be looking up for us.

Still if you see the premium/spongebath/membership as a "discount"card instead of a way to fund TPR the overseas members get less bang for their buck. More events and discounts will be available to stateside members than overseas members, and the price is higher. While this is perfectly understandable, I would think it is also understandable if the overseas members are less enthusiastic than the people who would get more for less money.

This being said I still think the whole idea is a sound, an good, one even if I myself would probably not participate. But that decision will be taken after the final plan will be revealed. Robb has indicated more than once that the whole thing is still very much "under construction" and is being revised influenced by feedback constantly.

Still if you see the premium/spongebath/membership as a "discount"card instead of a way to fund TPR the overseas members get less bang for their buck. More events and discounts will be available to stateside members than overseas members, and the price is higher. While this is perfectly understandable, I would think it is also understandable if the overseas members are less enthusiastic than the people who would get more for less money.

All very valid concerns and all ones that we WILL address!

As far as park discounts go, I already have an equal amount of international parks as I do US parks that said they are interested. Mind you, I've only heard back from a handful but that's mostly due to getting automated "I'm on hoilday until Jan 4th" emails!

But I am expecting discounts for our club members to a fairly large amount of parks both domestic and international.

We absoultely WILL be doing events internationally! Starting this year we are hoping to announce our first "bash" event in the UK. We'll see how the planning goes on that. We may also be able to do another one during our mainland Europe trip, we'll see!

We absoultely WILL open some 'tour dates' to Club TPR members both domestic and internationsl as not every tour date we do can be turned into a bash event, but we would be able to open up some dates or ERT sessions to a smaller group. Again, another fine perk of being a club member because it will allow to be to able to offer something that we were unable to previously offer.

I have already started to look into some kind of a "quarterly publication" that we would distrbute. It would not be a printed publication, but probably something we send to everyone on a CD or a DVD and the extra international shipping costs for that would be covered by the additional cost for overseas members.

And we would probably also fill that CD with high res photos, videos, and other information exclusive to Club TPR members.

That alone would eat up the extra $10 per year to international members. And to be quite honest, I figured that $10 would eventually go to shipping costs, which is exactly why it was put in there.

The line about "additional TPR goodies" will pretty much evolve into what I'm talking about now.

As for the concern of the "clique" mentality, I cannot stress enough how much we will NOT allow this to happen! The "club forum" would be mainly to discuss the club, the events for club members, discounts for club members, etc, it would not be a "mirror" forum of TPR's main forum but only for club members. It would have a very specific purpose, just like our trip forums currently have, and you don't see those forums or groups creating a clique within TPR members.

And for people worried about getting a spot on a trip if you're not a Club TPR member. If this ends up being a serious problem, we'll open up more trips or more spots! Just like we did on the Europe 2010 trip! (And there are spots still available, BTW, JOIN NOW!) We *WILL* give priority to Club members, but that doesn't mean that non-club members won't be able to participate in a trip. Remember, it also doesn't guarentee a Club member a spot on a trip either, but if you're on a waiting list, I think you'll have a better chance of getting that one spot that opens if you ARE a club member.

So moving forward, based on the feedback in this thread, you would see:

- More park discounts - domestic USA and International

- Club TPR members invited to park sponored events

- Some sort of quartly publication

- International park events

- Invites to ERT or tour dates for Club TPR members

- Everything else you saw on the front page

What we CANNOT do is lower the price. Taking away the $15 store credit doesn't actually decrease the price of the club membership, it would be taking away a perk that I think all club members would be able to use. Remember that you could apply that $15 to a DVD, T-Shirt, Hoodie, Downloadable DVD, Trip Payment, Event payment, etc.

Anyway, I can't say thank you enough to everyone who has responded to this thread so far.

Your input will help make Club TPR a much better option for all of you because it will be created with your feedback in mind.

I'm not sure too many other organizations can promote that!

--Robb "If this changes anyone's mind you can always change your vote!" Alvey

^Looks really nice, but I'm stuck with two questions:

1. Can we save up the store credit for several years and then use it. For example, you buy nothing from the store, but in 2013 you go on a trip and use the (build-up) credit for the trip.

In other words, does the $15 have an expiration date?

2. Could you consider calling it NOT 'Club TPR' ?

^Looks really nice, but I'm stuck with two questions:

1. Can we save up the store credit for several years and then use it. For example, you buy nothing from the store, but in 2013 you go on a trip and use the (build-up) credit for the trip.

In other words, does the $15 have an expiration date?

2. Could you consider calling it NOT 'Club TPR' ?

Heh, sorry, but that would probably be no on both accounts!

You'd have to use your $15 credit before your annual membership expires. I can see it creating some issues if we allowed the credit to basically "linger" after your membership has either expired or been renewed.

And we quite like the name "Club TPR" as oddly enough, it's what we've been calling it for short for a long time and then I noticed other people started randomly using it to!

I think it has quite a nice ring to it. That being said, we have not settled on a name or if we will actually go through with it at all. Still collecting as much research as we can at the moment.

--Robb

I say yes and I would definitely join just for the fact I would be a offical member of TPR. This is such a great community and it's really the only coaster type club I try to stay in touch with(life is just to nuts sometimes).

$40 is a great price too and I already pay about that much for another club I'm involved with(well 2 actually) and there are more than enough perks mentioned that would make that money go quite far especially compared to the 2 clubs I'm already involved in.

I'd pay the money just for the perks of the coaster club since I have no desire to join any of them. TPR is really the only place I go anymore for Theme Park and coaster related stuff. Mostly because I like the people here and it covers everything not exclusively coasters(I love Disney parks).

With that said I'm in!

Premium Park Review? (although I don't like the sound of 'PPR')

TPR Plus? (So you could have 'TPR Basic' and 'TPR Plus', which could easily allow for various stages down the line like 'TPR Gold' and 'TPR Platinum', etc... like something between the current TPR and Club TPR... or you could have something like TPR Plus which would have $5 store credit and priority for trips; TPR Gold which would be all the stuff previously mentioned and obviously higher trip priority than TPR Plus; TPR Platinum which would have more store credit and maybe even some other perks down the line...)

On second thought, that might get too complicated

Premium Park Review? (although I don't like the sound of 'PPR')

TPR Plus? (So you could have 'TPR Basic' and 'TPR Plus', which could easily allow for various stages down the line like 'TPR Gold' and 'TPR Platinum', etc... like something between the current TPR and Club TPR... or you could have something like TPR Plus which would have $5 store credit and priority for trips; TPR Gold which would be all the stuff previously mentioned and obviously higher trip priority than TPR Plus; TPR Platinum which would have more store credit and maybe even some other perks down the line...)

On second thought, that might get too complicated

Nice thought but yeah I think Robb and Elissa would go pretty insane.

"My only concern is the sub-forum becomes the most active forum.

I can assure you we would not let that happen.

We absolutely would NOT allow our Premium Members to become a clique or a separate class or anything of that sort."

I guess my question is, how would that work? Would you limit postings in the premium forum areas? How do you stop people from becoming a clique?

Just curious.

Thomas

^ My guess is that there would be some sort of rule or general respect from the premium members that they would not post stuff not related to the premium experience like perks, suggestions for improvements, premium-only trips, etc. in that forum.

For example, when I went to Japan in September of 2008, I was added to a special forum for the trip.

All the posts were more "Hi, my name is x and I'm going on the trip", or "My brother is coming along" or "I heard you can do x in Japan, but it requires a reservation so does anyone know of anything along our tour route" and other trip related stuff... Or, in my case, "hey, I'm stuck in Chicago so I'm going to miss the first day, where can I meet up with everybody?"... lol... nothing about parks, general news, etc.

I think it's high time you offer this to your members, with all the work both of you and hold down day jobs and raise a family! JUst be careful your 'club' doesn't become the one thing you despise the most and that is ACE.

I agree with many of your TPR members and offering a quarterly publication would be nice. Cost wise, would it be cheaper to send it out electronically, on disk, or paper. Something to consider.

Yes, with the $15.00 store credit and a possible publication, even though we have never been on oe of you trips (doubt we'd survive one ) the other benefits along with keeping TPR ad free is worth the cost.

No reason at this point.

It's seems as though you have thought this through before bringing it to the members of TPR. Let us know when we can join.

Remember that with each $40/$50 membership you would instantly be getting $15 of that back in TPR Store credit!

^ Well that sounds limiting. Why join a new, premium forum, only to be told you can't post something. Why not just post all that in the regular - non paying - forums?

Not trying to be snarky here. But, I guess I just saying the whole point of a premium service in its very nature promotes an elite class.

When I go to the MET, I pay a premium price to sit in the box seats for a reason and not in the cheaper Family Circle seats. And I'm happy to pay it. This is America right??

Thomas

I guess my question is, how would that work? Would you limit postings in the premium forum areas? How do you stop people from becoming a clique?

Well for one we'll have moderators and forum rules. If someone that is posted there would be better suited for the main forum or another forum, we'll move the topic.

Just like how we keep the games forum just to discussions about roller coaster games, we will keep the Club TPR forum just to club events and discussions.

Well that sounds limiting. Why join a new, premium forum, only to be told you can't post something.

Because we've been doing this since the forum opened and we know what we are doing. And so far no one has complained. And if anything people have only COMPLIMENTED us on the ability to keep specific forums on topic to their discussion. There will be plenty of on-topic discussion in that forum. But yes, it would be limited to club discussions.

Why would we open up a private forum that includes the exact same content on the main forum? That makes absoultely no sense at all. Why not just post that stuff to the main forum?

It's like I said, we have had "private groups" now for 5 years and if you counted everyone in those private groups I'm sure it totals at least 300 people over the 18 forums that have made roughly 50,000 posts.

Clearly with that amount of traffic there has been plenty to discuss, and has it affected anyone on the main forum?

Trust me when I say we have experience at this and it won't become a clique and it won't detract from the main forum. Nobody wants that, including people who would become Club TPR members!

--Robb

"It's like I said, we have had "private groups" now for 5 years and if you counted everyone in those private groups I'm sure it totals at least 300 people.

Has it affected anyone on the main forum?"

WHAT? There has been people talking in private forums for the last 5 years without me??

Well, that has just ruined my TPR experience. I feel so 2nd class now.

Thomas

(I hope you know I'm kidding right?)

I think it's high time you offer this to your members, with all the work both of you and hold down day jobs and raise a family! JUst be careful your 'club' doesn't become the one thing you despise the most and that is ACE.

Don't worry! We rarely serve gravy at any of our events!

Seriously though, the fact that this thread exists I think is already a step in the direction to show people that the way we do things is different.

At least I hope everyone can see that.

--Robb