TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. A good thing. The store credit would be great, and would effectively lower the membership cost to $25.

2. Other than donkey rides in the Grand Canyon - I think you have got a good start.

3. Mildly, I might join, but we don't go on many trips. We might go to special events in the Mid-Atlantic

4. i have many premium memberships already.

5. It is a very interesting proposition and I will follow the discussion with great interest.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What are your initial thoughts?

"I love the sound of this!"

"I hope something like this wouldn't make TPR too 'clique-ish'"

"$40 is a very fair price if all that is posted is offered!"

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

I can not think of anything else at the moment.

3. Is this something that interests you?

Absolutely!

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

The only reason I would not be interested in this is that after the summer of 2010, I probably won't be able to go on anther trip for a few years and may not be able to enjoy the premiumness.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

To be honest, even if I don't take advantage of the perks, I wouldn't mind sending the $40 anyway as a kind of donation.

It's great if it will help make the site better and by all means give extra benefits to the payed members. I can't afford to go on any of the trips, so this will not effect me either way.

I think you're wrong on this one. I've only been a member for about 10 months and I have never been on a TPR trip but I think this will offer plenty of value to travelers and non travelers alike.

I was slightly hesitant when I first saw this but really has TPR ever screwed anything up at all? I think that it is wonderful they set up this poll which allows all of us to see the voting results and each other's arguments as they unfold. Democracy at its finest. I for one can fully trust the Alveys when they say they will not let elitism take place here. TPR is wonderful, I can't think of many things keeping it from perfection besides that "most sought after credits" feature I've been bugging Robb for.

Going on their track record what do you have to be afraid of???

A little over 4 years ago I sent some guy and his wife, whom I didn't know, a check for $2,500 to take me around England to visit amusement parks. Robb and Elissa had never organized a trip for this many and my friends and family thought I was nuts, with me not knowing these people. I had the trip of a lifetime and learned as long as I trust them and follow some simple guidelines the Alveys would deliver.

Robb knows not every perk will appeal to everyone. That's why he is trying to offer as many perks as possible.

Quite simply I'm looking at it as $40 gets me $15 in TPR merch and the other $25 helps maintain the quality of the site and allows me to attend CoasterCelebration or CoasterMania, which I have not been able to attend in the past.

If I get to meet up at a TPR trip (Bonus), if I get trip priority (Bonus), if I can save $5 on an admission fee here or there (Bonus).

The thing I love about Robb and Elissa is that they are requesting feedback and responding. While the site is not a "democracy" our leaders do want to better everyone's park and website experiences. They realize that although they are experts on the industry, good ideas come from everyone. They btoh build upon successes and learn from mistakes to adapt accordingly.

As a moderator on TPR, the other great thing about the thread is that we are hearing from a lot of lurkers and non-frequent posters. You all constitute the majority of this site's members and we value your opinions very much.

^Well that's your call! We wouldn't offer a discount for international people as we do plan on holding international events. True we will probably never hold an event in Israel, but you do travel.

And think, if we already had this system in place and you were a member you might not be sitting on the trip waitlist right now.

Note: Before I start rambling I'd like to say that if I'm the only one with this issue then feel free to ignore all I'm about to say. I don't expect you to change this thing just for me, obviously. But it's something to keep in mind in case I'm not the only one.

I realize what you said, but considering all of the discounts premium membership will get me are for parks outside my country, which I see maybe once or twice every two years. Or events that I never ever get to go to(considering the chances of them happening when I'm traveling and at the place I'm traveling to are pretty slim), I'm basically being asked to pay $50 for a $15 TPR store credit, a private forum, and avoiding being put on the "B-list" for TPR trips. And while those three things are things I'd love to have, I don't know if $50 seems like a fair price for them.

If it doesn't make financial sense to pay $50 for a private forum, $15 store credit, and a once-every-two-years-park-ticket-discount then I feel like I'm basically being asked to pay $50 or else I get put on the list of people who have even less chance to be able to get on a trip than I do now.

So for me it's not so much a matter of if it existed I wouldn't be on the waitlist. It's more of a matter of, if I stayed a regular member, because of the reasons stated above, I would have even less of a chance of being able to make it on a trip.

^What if you only paid for the membership in a year when you are considering going on a trip to other countries or joining a TPR trip, then just not renew it the next?

Its kinda like how I only got the CF Platinum Pass the year I decided to visit 5 Cedar Fair parks. I would normally never pay for all the benefits in a year I wouldn't use them.

Not sure how it Robb is planning it exactly, but I assume there will be a renewal process at the end of every year, and not renewing would just take you back to having everything the way it was before.

Flipdude, I totally see where you're coming from. I'm from Australia and will also not use many of these perks. I think what Elissa is trying to say is that you have two options. Pick one. Perhaps neither is perfect for you, but you have a choice. It is impossible to please everyone.

I think the $50 is worth it. You get random crap, store credit, keep the website running, and priority placement, which is a considerable perk. It makes sense that those who do use TPR more contribute financially, and are thereby afforded privileges.

look, to be honest, the only reason I said no is because I live in Australia. I'll keep buying your excellent DVD's though. I love them, but I'll get no other benefits from joining. I know that sounds harsh but I live so very far away. LA is 15hr's by plane, NY is 20+ even London is 23+ on a good flight.

I am coming to the states next year and if I have the time and you have the space I'd love to come on an adventure with you guys!!!

I am a person who lurks on the website because posting is not my thing. I'm not that interested in buying dvds, and my work schedule prevents me from taking trips longer than 2 days. I have gone to Bay Area Bash, and have met up with Robb & Elissa on a couple of occasions. So other than that, I do not spend much money on TPR.

Having a membership would now allow me to support TPR in a way that fits my situation. Even after little contact with R & E, I see what they do and how they do it. It's obvious that they try to make each situation the best possible.

Support...don't support. Everybody has a choice.

^What if you only paid for the membership in a year when you are considering going on a trip to other countries or joining a TPR trip, then just not renew it the next?

Its kinda like how I only got the CF Platinum Pass the year I decided to visit 5 Cedar Fair parks. I would normally never pay for all the benefits in a year I wouldn't use them.

Not sure how it Robb is planning it exactly, but I assume there will be a renewal process at the end of every year, and not renewing would just take you back to having everything the way it was before.

Hmmm... I guess that makes sense and would be best for all parties involved, considering there's only so many people here in a similar situation.

Thank you.

We could call it "TPR Spongebathers" and you'd STILL have some people who would think that the non-spongebathers are some sort of second class member.

--Robb

Robb, that WOULD create two classes.. Those that will spongebathe just about anyone, and those that would never spongebathe someone's "second class member." First class all the way baby!

If it doesn't make financial sense to pay $50 for a private forum, $15 store credit, and a once-every-two-years-park-ticket-discount then I feel like I'm basically being asked to pay $50 or else I get put on the list of people who have even less chance to be able to get on a trip than I do now.

You're also making the assumption that the perks we listed are the ONLY benefits we are going to offer...almost as though our "hey check this out and give us your feedback" post was actually our "we are announcing this and here is the final deal" post.

I totally respect and want feedback and opinions, ABSOLUTELY!

And we are already making changes to this program based on a lot of the input we have received.

I guess what I don't understand is your multiple responses saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again when I've told you, Elissa has told, other members have told that we have HEARD you!

And I'm actually assuming that when we release the final list of benefits, there might actually be something else on there that might interest you more than what we initially posted.

And you know, there almost might not be, but I can tell you that we WILL expand our list of benefits.

We have heard your thoughts and opinions on this Tomi, absolutely we have. And we will hopefully be addressing some of them, too.

--Robb

A little over 4 years ago I sent some guy and his wife, whom I didn't know, a check for $2,500 to take me around England to visit amusement parks. Robb and Elissa had never organized a trip for this many and my friends and family thought I was nuts, with me not knowing these people. I had the trip of a lifetime and learned as long as I trust them and follow some simple guidelines the Alveys would deliver.

Robb knows not every perk will appeal to everyone. That's why he is trying to offer as many perks as possible.

Quite simply I'm looking at it as $40 gets me $15 in TPR merch and the other $25 helps maintain the quality of the site and allows me to attend CoasterCelebration or CoasterMania, which I have not been able to attend in the past.

If I get to meet up at a TPR trip (Bonus), if I get trip priority (Bonus), if I can save $5 on an admission fee here or there (Bonus).

The thing I love about Robb and Elissa is that they are requesting feedback and responding. While the site is not a "democracy" our leaders do want to better everyone's park and website experiences. They realize that although they are experts on the industry, good ideas come from everyone. They btoh build upon successes and learn from mistakes to adapt accordingly.

As a moderator on TPR, the other great thing about the thread is that we are hearing from a lot of lurkers and non-frequent posters. You all constitute the majority of this site's members and we value your opinions very much.

I apologize if I missed it Robb. I had no intention of repeating myself.

It's just that I throughly read the replies by you and Elissa, the first time I thought the reply was accidently overlooked, and the second time I felt that one of my points was misunderstood. The third post was made as clarficiation on that point. It was not my intention to triple-post.

Also, like I said, I fully trust you and Elissa to find a crowdpleasing solution. I have no doubt in you, because I saw first hand how well you two organized the Midwest trip. I was simply trying to present the problem I had in mind so you can take it into consideration while finding said solution.

I apologize if I came off as inappropiate. It really wasn't my intention.

^^I experienced the same reaction from some of my friends when I took the UK trip in '06, although my family's reaction was, "Hey, that trip sounds great!" And so it was.

I think the new membership option is just a logical step in TPR's evolution (just as the site's relationship with the parks themselves has evolved).

Just heard from two more international parks who are on board with offering something for our membership program!

I have a feeling when we are ready to announce our park partners it should be a pretty decent list!

--Robb

I think most "international" members are very curious in what part of the world treats will be offered. Christmass has come and gone but the waiting in anticipation for "presents" is still not done.

^ While I don't want to give away any details just yet, my initial focus are parks all over Europe (assume that every park TPR has visited in the past will at least get the inquiry about a 'premium membership discount') and I'm also contacting a few parks in Asia and Australia.

While I don't expect something from every park we have a relationship with (sometimes the logistics of extending an offer can be difficult) but I do expect we'll get quite a few on board.

The response has already been very positive and I've already had a couple of parks contact me as soon as that email went out. Remember there are a LOT of parks that read TPR, more than you would probably imagine.

--Robb

I have not taken advantage of any of the trips that you sponsor. It is unlikely that I will. (although I would like to!). I live vicariously through you and your fellow travelers.

I would be proud to support your site. Maybe a tiered system for those of us who will not be part of a trip, but enjoy your exploits and reports, and feel that it deserves to be supported. Those members that want to book trips can pay more for the privilege of early access, etc...

I like the idea of receiving a membership so I can get around the "card carrying member" requirement to attend park-sponsered events, although I don't think I would have use for the other features.

How about offering a simple membership for 5 or $10 to cover the cost of making and mailing the card? I have heard of other web sites doing that.

How about offering a simple membership for 5 or $10 to cover the cost of making and mailing the card? I have heard of other web sites doing that.

I have actually been told by many parks that they don't like these "cheap" online clubs because it makes it too easy to just "print out a coupon" for an event.

I have to hit a nice balance of what our members want and what parks will support.

While you all have seen the survey we have posted here for our members we have also sent emails to many parks asking for thier input.

We have been told by many parks that underselling our "club" would get us fewer perks.

And seeing that we already have 340 people who think this is a good idea tells me we are heading in the right direction.

When we are ready to announce final details that will include specific park discounts at parks all over the world, events our members can participate in and most likely some sort of regular publication I think most people who voted "no" will change thier mind.

We are not going for the "cheap" option we are going for the "highest quality" option.

--Robb

As someone who doesn't sit in front of a computer and post to forms much I think the idea is a good one. Things that are free like TPR are never free of cost to someone and it seems like if you don't join it will remain the same. We have been ACE members for some time but find the TPR events much more fun. At the Bay Area Bash we took my mom, dad, brother in law and his wife, our daughter, son and his girlfriend and while some were not coaster or park fans everyone had a great time. While me and my wife have a good time at the ACE events I don't think the others would have enjoyed it quite as much. I for one would pay for a family membership and drop the ACE as we can never seem to make what few events they have up here in northern California.

I also believe in supporting what you use and this is a great way to help out and get something in return.