TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

I think you will meet a little resistance on the price point, mainly because of the average age of the TPR member, but for me personally the only reason I wouldn't sign up is lack of time in my schedule to take advantage of the offerings.

I think the "average age of the TPR member" versus the "average age of the TPR member who posts on the forum regularly" may be two different numbers.

While I'd say the average age of our forum posters is between 22 and 25, I'd say the average age of members we have on TPR trips is probably closer to 30.

This tells me that the are a lot of older members out there who just don't have as much time as our younger members to dedicate writing on the forum as frequently.

--Robb

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly happens after the poll is compete? Are guys going to cancel the plans for this if more people vote no for it?

I think if you look back through TPR's history you can figure out what will happen.

We have almost ALWAYS asked for input before starting something, or even once something was started asked our members what THEY want. I feel confident this will be something we move forward on, but we will do so taking into account everything that as been posted in this thread. Both the positive and negatives. Heck we've already changed some of the 'perks' based on posts here.

A great example of this is our Trip Questionnaire's. We weren't going to even offer the IntimdaTour trip in 2010, until our members wrote in that they wanted that, so we changed our plans and offered it!

I don't think you will find many 'clubs' as big as TPR that are run the way we run TPR as we really do value and appreciate our members insights, ideas, questions, and concerns.

I really think it is a good idea, and think it will really benefit older members.

The only issue I see is with people who are a little younger, even around my age. I think that people who are in their 20's or older are more able to go on trips and take advantage of those perks more so than people my age.

However, just because some of us can't go on trips doesn't mean that everyone else's fun should be spoiled. I look forward to going on a TPR trip someday within the next few years, as I'm sure many other people do as well. As a result, I think that this is a good option for TPR.

I think it's a great idea. Given the cost of the site, something has to done, and nothing will please everyone, but I think this is the best option. Nothing changes for the regular people, while those who become paid members get a few possible upgrades.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the site will not change, but just more content/options will be added for the premium members. I know that they don't "trust" that things won't change for the future, but knowing Robb, it won't. I think many just saw things like "membership" "$40" and "access" and just wrapped it up as $40 membership for access to TPR. Even though you explain it well, many people don't fully read it and understand it.

The fact that you will keep the normal site the same is incredible. Every website I have been following that changed to a pay site drastically cut things. I saw things like; not able to respond to a post, not able to read a post, to not even able to access the site at all! So for me, this is a great way to do the membership.

I think "memberships" are pretty acceptable now. Not only on the web, but everywhere. There are many rewards programs that cost money, and some that don't, but you do end up "paying" in the end. But with all the reward programs out there, those who "pay" get a much better benefit. Places that charge for membership, like Amazon Prime, offer a great deal for those who use it. I have saved hundreds of dollars on free 2-day shipping. Then there are places that memberships are paid for by frequent use. Like the airlines, hotels, or cruises. They may not charge up front, but you do end up paying a ton of money for the perks. So I think people will be negative at first, but in the end it will be completely understandable. Of course we would like everyone to be on equal footing, but with Robb and Elissa covering the entire cost of the site, and us using the site at their expense, it's not equal to them. Remember, Robb still has a "real" job. TPR is not their job, and they really don't make much off of it at all.

As for being unfair for trip selection, there are still openings for Europe, premium or not! There are always openings for trips. The wife and I signed up for Deep South, AND Texas, only a few months before. So I don't think it should be generalized that only premium members will get trips. Again, I look at other trip companies like cruise ship companies. Repeat cruisers always have first pick, and are able to sign up before others. Same with hotels and airlines. Many of those have better benefits for those who pay (Either by paying directly for a membership, or by "paying" through frequent purchases). Southwest has a basic rewards program that is free, but there are a lot of restrictions, and you have to "pay" for rewards based on how many flights you do. Then they have their freedom awards (an additional cost), that removes all the restrictions. It really is standard practice to have rewards/premium systems now.

I also think the idea of classes is a little "misguided." When I first came to this site I saw, and still see, a ton of "classes," but that will ALWAYS be the case, premium or not. There are the teens, the old people, the "dinosaur," past trip participant groups, roller coaster know it all's, private TPR parties/trips, work party groups, personal friends, TPR movie stars, newbies, and even a few furries! Of course there will be a few premium members who will flaunt it like a badge of honor, but Robb is excellent at calling people out and putting them in their place no matter who they are. In all, I think it will work out fine, and it's too bad Robb hasn't won the lottery so he could just pay for it all!

Just my small 2 cents on the subject

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the site will not change, but just more content/options will be added for the premium members.

The fact that you will keep the normal site the same is incredible. Every website I have been following that changed to a pay site drastically cut things.

And what I want to keep making sure everyone understands is that we would NOT be turnin TPR into a "Paid Site" and what we are proposing will simply be "in addition" to what you are already familiar with.

The more and more I think about it, I feel that "Club TPR" is a much better name for this than a "Premium Member."

Because it will, for the most part, live as it's own entity, much like the TPR trips do each year, so perhaps it having it's own name is the best idea.

I do think what I am most impressed with is that in just a short 24 hours we have been able to get feedback from 500 members during a holiday period where many people are out on vacation.

That impresses me and speaks volumes for this group. I can't thank you guys enough for your input!

--Robb

The more and more I think about it, I feel that "Club TPR" is a much better name for this than a "Premium Member."

Because it will, for the most part, live as it's own entity, much like the TPR trips do each year, so perhaps it having it's own name is the best idea.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that one. The first impression I get when I see or hear the word "club" is that which eludes to the kind of "clique-ish" feel you're trying to avoid. Maybe that's just my initial knee jerk reaction, I don't know?

Wait, will "Club TPR" include stripper poles and premium liquor? If so, then nevermind.

I like the idea of "Club TPR" vs. a "Premium Membership."

Interesting...because the "idea" is EXACTLY the same, just with a different name.

I just don't understand why people don't seem to believe me that this WON'T create any sort of "elitest" or "clique" within TPR when there are ALREADY EIGHTEEN PRIVATE FORUMS BASED ON AN UPCHARGE SERVICE TPR OFFERS!

And this has been going on for nearly five years now!

I mean, let's just say we started calling all of our trip participants "TPR Trippers" and they all get their private forum.

Hey, guess what? WE HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR FIVE YEARS!!!

What I'm really just trying to get through to everyone is this -

Stop focusing on the "clique" or what you think might become of this, and focus on what we have offered.

Don't you WANT your TPR membership to get you into events like HoliWood Nights? Wouldn't that be a great perk of being a TPR member?

That's what we are offering. Extra perks and bonuses for TPR members. Not a TPR Clique.

I would recommend something along the lines of 'TPR Contributor.'

How is that ANY different than any other label that people think will create a special group?

We could call it "TPR Spongebathers" and you'd STILL have some people who would think that the non-spongebathers are some sort of second class member.

Quite honestly, if we move forward with this, you all will just have to trust us that we won't f**k it up.

I mean, have we ever done something with the site that wasn't well thought out and produced of high quality?

--Robb

I really have given this some thought, and I know now that this really is a good idea. I was once part of a group where you had to be invited in, and two people had to second it. So comparing the two, I now realise, for myself, that this wouldn't be 'cliquey' or anything like that.

Tim 'Wondering how much longer before poor Robb blows his top' West.

1. What are your initial thoughts?

I like the idea, and the $15.00 credit makes it more palatable considering this would be in addition to my ACE membership.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

No.

3. Is this something that interests you?

Yes.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

There's nothing that turns me off of the idea.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Good, well thought-out idea.

^^That already happened during Thanksgiving Now he's just in "too beat to fight back mode."

I know Robb would keep everything free if he could, but there is just no way that is possible. I think anything is better than closing the site, and what he is offering with the membership is much better than any other site I have ever seen (TPR not restricting anything that is already offered).

^ TPR is in no way in danger of closing and I really hope no one thinks that is the reason we are doing this.

A paid TPR membership has been something we have been thinking about for well over a year.

TPR as a community is huge now and there is no reason why our members shouldn't be albe to participate in some park sponsored events or park discounts, extra perks, etc.

But the reality is that most parks won't extend an invite or many of those offers to a site for free or that practically give them away.

Because if that was the case then anyone can pretty much print out a "free coupon" that can allow them quite a few discounts and entrance to special events.

That kind of cannibalizes the relationships the parks have with other groups they are partnered with for promotions.

I have already received emails from parks that are happy to see that we aren't taking the route of underselling our membership to be the "cheapest" but instead to offer something really compelling.

And we're not done. What you see on page 1 is our "start."

I have a feeling once we announce what parks we will be able to offer events and discounts to no one will question the price. And yes, I've already heard back from international parks.

My goal is to have this appeal to everyone. And that's why we posted this thread in the first place. Put the idea out there and see what people want.

And that's what we'll end up giving you.

--Robb "We would like TPR club members, premium members, spongebathers, whatever, to be able to attend 2010 park sponsored events." Alvey

Call this donkey membership club card spongebather thing what ever you want to, I know for me the day this is officially offered I will be happily paying TPR $40. The list of perks are all ready sounding well worth $40, I'm actually a little surprised membership isn't costing a bit more with all the offerings. Anyone who has attended any event or trip put on by TPR knows you well get your money's worth. I wouldn't expect anything less out of this in the long term investment.

Shawn "Can't wait to be a card carrying spongebather" Smith

Can I just buy a TPR club membership already?!?!

I would ask that we try to have an event at SFoT when Texas Giant reopens. I don't really know why but I am rather partial to that coaster.

In all seriousness, whenever you offer whatever it is that you are going to offer, I will be glad to purchase a member card. I still have my member card from Rideworld that I use for several events. Although the price was much lower the services offered cannot compare with what you are offering and the TPR experience is very familyish and fun which is why I liked Rideworld. Now that TPR wants to add even more perks, I am all for it. There is no way in hell that I would consider other clubs perks and be able to compare it to the TPR experience.

Did not notice the select questions before so let me redo this.

This sounds like a really great thing but as an East Coast member and someone who can't afford TPR Trips I kinda feel left out from many of the benifits the club will offer. Yeah you have the in park discounts and what not but I really only Travel for ACE events which atleast one can be found and nearly everypark here on the east coast every year.

More small events at different parks across the country especially for us on the east coast and who can't afford TPR trips.

Maybe if my thoughts above were addressed.

I get all this and more through ACE

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Sounds like a neat idea and really hope it takes off but just don't feel I'd get to take full advantage of this. Good Luck Though!

More small events at different parks across the country especially for us on the east coast and who can't afford TPR trips.

Well, I know we don't have that many...BUT...each year we keep adding more and more...

We did do Behemoth Bash & a Hersheypark day in 2008.

We opened up our Texas days in 2009.

We had our first Bay Area Bash in 2009.

And we are planning at least one Mid-West, one East Coast, and one UK event for 2010 in addition to West Coast Bash & Bay Area Bash.

--Robb

I think it's a great idea.

Offer a non-traveler's version. A person like me who cannot travel rigorous itineraries would have no use to the group trip benefits.

Yes, I would support it even as a non-traveler.

If this is only geared for those that want to do TPR trips, then it wouldn't benefit me personally.

This is, in my opinion, the BEST theme park related site out there. Having a club with perks beyond what's already offered here to help support it is a long time coming. I commend you guys for not trying to take away what you already have for free, and not using ads and such.

I can't afford this!

Free membership... Just kidding

Once again, I can't afford this!

and again, I can't afford this!

It's great if it will help make the site better and by all means give extra benefits to the payed members. I can't afford to go on any of the trips, so this will not effect me either way.

Enough of my negativity, I just come here for the entertainment and to get information on parks I might be visiting. So keep up the great job everyone and as long as I can see your vacation photos and videos I can plan where to go on my vacations.