TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

-A lot of greats perks that I'm sure everyone would enjoy. I think this gives a good chance for the "active" TPR members to really shine and show their support for this great website.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

-You're already offering a lot, I can't think of anything else!

3. Is this something that interests you?

-Yes, as a TPR member who's been around for a while and been on a trip now, it seems like a step in the right direction.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

-Well, I think there might be disputes between "Premium" and non members...that's it really. Who doesn't like bags of crap?!

And with so many parks that are fans of TPR, I can't imagine what perks a Premium Member might get!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see benefit also for people who live closer to major parks.

Pufferfish,NC'Coaster Lvr and I live in a Hub between Carowinds, SFOG, Dollywood and a few other great major parks. Also a few hours north is BGE/KD.

I myself also wouldn't hesitate to use it in travels to parks like Cedar Point.

Majority ideal also. When I travel I have California's Great America and SFDK sitting in my girlfriends front door step. I also have SFGADV,Dorney park,Hershey park and such sitting on my friend from NJ's doorstep.

So that park list I have shown above is MORE than justifies my means.

Added- A.C.E alone is typically $65. The way I see it, TPR will offer better and more perks for a lower price and help support its awesome community. It has my support!

Seeing as I don't live in the US or UK I have very little use for any of the other perks, so I feel if there was premium membership you'd basically be telling me "Pay $50 or get B-listed".

I agree with you Flipdude. But I'm happy to pay. It's great value for money, and works out to less than $5 a month. Can't expect these things to remain free....

I'm sure Robb would come up with a trip placement that was fair to premiums and non premiums. That being said, if there was a trip I was keen on, I think I would sign up fpr premium membership...

Isn't that bad of a deal...Great perks for the price offering each year

Maybe parking at certain parks at certain times of the year in the parks perk deal

Yes this is something that interests me very much...Its a great deal

At the moment not right now...Saving money up for WCB this year

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Nothing I can think of at the moment...Sounds good to me

- It sounds good. For me it really depends on the list of events offered

- Perhaps a newsletter/magazine with TPR news mixed with roller coaster news.

- Yes I would be interested in this

- If the event list didn't cover any of the Ohio park events

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

- Nothing at the moment

I'd rather send my coaster club dollars to a site with a top notch bulletin board such as TPR. This would simply be a shift of funds from one business to another (capitalism in action). Although it would be an increase, I would pay it to help keep a high value site in the black.

Also, I was relieved and not at all surprised to see Rob mention a family membership option.

More controversially on the subject of cliques, they exist in any large grouping. If everyone is equal at TPR, some are more equal than others. That's life. A paid club won't change it.

-Sounds neat, although I don't have the money to go on trips, I would still join it to help the site out.

-I like the idea of the magazine that someone else had

-It does.

-Like I said, I don't have the money to go on the trips so that part doesn't mean too much to me at this time.

-Everything sounds great

I think this is a very good idea, even for people who would not be going on TPR trips. The idea of having early admission at parks and discounts would be ideal for me. That's the only reason that I'm still an ACE member, especially because the events aren't that exciting.

So basically my answer is that I would get a TPR premium membership if park perks/ events were offered with it.

Great idea

1. What are your initial thoughts? I totally love the idea, and have been waiting for something like this this for a while now.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering? No, not at this point.

3. Is this something that interests you? YES!

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this? There's not a chance I wouldn't be interested.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here. Ignore me if you explained this and I missed it, but...

I'm not able to afford any of the larger trips TPR offers, but events like you've done some in the past year where TPR members can pay a fee and join the traveling group at a park for the day are great. Would information/access to events like that be included in a premium membership?

Also, would someone wanting to use their premium membership for access to a park sponsored event, (example: Holiwood Nights), be able to bring a guest along with their TPR membership?

Robb, to answer your question to those who wanted a monthly newsletter, I think the benefit is that I would sign up to just get it.

I've been signed up to ACE for a long time and I haven't been to any events in 4 years. I enjoy getting the magazine. Also, it was stated before that it's sometimes hard to digest all the information on this site. I personally don't spend more than a minute looking through the forums and updates each day. I mean it's great to know that if I wanted to see pictures from a specific park I could search for it in your database, but as for news, etc. it will be at the top of page 1 in the forums on the first day, but by the next week it will be on page 2.

I have one more observation, I think it's different to read from a newsletter or magazine than from a computer screen. It seems like I'm just skimming and I'm not actually reading into anything. I love to read books and magazines, by the way.

^ I will say right now that doing a printed publication is not something we are interested in doing.

But creating some kind of newsletter, perhaps in an electronic form either online or a CD that would "recap" the best, recent news, trip reports, features, articles, etc, is something we WOULD consider publishing on a regular basis.

It might be the happy compromise.

I will continue to research because if our members want something, we will do the best we can to offer what they are requesting.

--Robb

1. What are your initial thoughts? I like the idea and the price seems pretty reasonable with the $15 store credit. The priority trip placement sounds cool also.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering? No, not really

3. Is this something that interests you? I'm definitely interested.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this? I'm not located anywhere near parks that would offer discounts or events for this, so that wouldn't be a very usable feature for me.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here. I think that priority trip placement could be a bit unfair to the non premium members, depending on how it's handled. Would the initial selection of people going on the trip still be by lottery if there were too many people who wanted to go?

I selected no based on the costs....The only thing I would be interested in doing is the coaster events at parks. With me possibly buying a home this next year, any expensive trip is going to be out of the question. But if, as said above, you take the 15 dollar store credit out and maybe cut 5 more dollars of stuff out. Making the cost 20 a year, this would be comparable to most clubs out there now (Great Ohio Coaster Club, Wood coaster fan club, maybe even Coaster Buzz), it would be worth it. I have yet to join a club for next year so I can get my discounted HW season pass.

Also, if the price would include chance to get in on ERT (with an extra costs) at local parks TPr visits, I would be for it.

For example, I can't go on the Midwest trip, but if I could do the day thing with TPR at Holiday World, I would buy into that.

As for the publication, when I was in GOCC and WCFC, the newsletters went straight to the storage and I didn't even read them.

I voted "yes"

This is by far the best/most informative site out there as far as I'm concerned, and I want to keep it ad-free.

I'd love it if the membership would get you into events such as Holiwood nights.

As far as the clique issue is concerned: There really hasn't been a clique among the people who have been on TPR trips (I have not) that I have seen. I don't feel left out of any forum discussion or shunned because I haven't had the money for a trip yet. I trust you and Elissa will do whatever it takes to prevent elitism.

-James Dillaman

There really hasn't been a clique among the people who have been on TPR trips (I have not) that I have seen. I don't feel left out of any forum discussion or shunned because I haven't had the money for a trip yet. I trust you and Elissa will do whatever it takes to prevent elitism.

Thank you. And you bring up a VERY good point.

Technically, we currently have 18 private forums for our different trips. Has anyone even noticed? Has there been any kind of elitism at all?

I personally don't think so.

We will prevent any class system. Absoultely. I just won't have it.

--Robb

1. What are your initial thoughts? -

Well, it seems interesting enough and has caught my attention and interest without saying.

Look, this doesn't need to be asked in my opinion. You (Robb) and Elissa work your asses off enough to make us happy and loved. I've been supporting the site with video purchases before the forum and store were even thoughts. That's how much I disagree with question. But, hey I'm not complaining, you have every right to ask.

HELL YES!

The price, but it's a common con.

Well, it's a good gameplan and the features are certainly great. I mean, several coaster groups have similar plans and perks, but besides the price which is abit steep I find it to be excellent and neat to see. Hell, who I am to say otherwise? I've seen what you've done over the years, I've been with the site for along time (2001-02) and I feel this is a way I can give back along with store purchases.

(I'm sorry if it's offtopic, but here it goes): Look, the message from me is that: You guys are the best, this is one of the best communities I've ever been apart of. I've met good friends and people on this forum, which I hope I'll meet on a future trip, I've watched this site grow so much and as I look back upon it. TPR has played a good portion of my teenage years, I was 11 years old when I came across TPR for the first time and then I was looking for POV's in a much more rough around the edges internet at that time.

I love the site, and if this is the price of my support, I'll do anything to support it and see it thrive. Hell, you might even call me a semi-fanboy of the site. But heck, who am I to blame? This site and the people of the forums are simply magic, and my LARGE, and I MEAN LARGE 2nd family.

I love you all, well, not that way (perverts and dirty minds beware!)

But all and all, love the idea, I think it's grand and I fully support it.

*gets off soapbox*

THANK YOU!

Sounds good, especially if it's going to help TPR grow. However, due to my time constraints with school and work (Both fulltime student and employee, such trips are not feasible). On the other hand, I personally think TPR's fine the way it is, though I have yet to go on a TPR trip. My closest to seeing you guys was last summer at CGA.

It sounds like a fair deal to me...$15 credit towards TPR store = win!

Yes but...(read 4)

Time constraints/finances would not allow for this. I'm lucky to be visiting my home parks. Also, I kind of think TPR is fine the way it is. Much like the classic phrase "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!."

Remember that with each $40/$50 membership you would instantly be getting $15 of that back in TPR Store credit!

One aspect I forgot to mention. WCB is an unbelievable value. Everything else TPR offers seems to be the same - incredible values. That definitely earns the benefit of the doubt in my mind. TPR has set a very high bar. Let's see what else they can do.

I voted "yes" because I think it sounds like a great deal! I think all of the perks you listed would be great for the price. As far as what the price turns out to be, for me I can think of it as $15 less because I will easily spend that much and more in the TPR store.

I do like the idea of sending out at least a quarterly newsletter, but I think printing it and mailing it would be a bit much. You could just put that sucker in a pdf format and send it out to all of the members. That way, if anyone wanted to print it out for a little throne room perusing, they would have not problem doing so.

I also REALLY like the fact that for those who don't or can't purchase the membership for some reason, they're not missing out on any of the great service that TPR provides. I personally do not think that there will be a problem with an elitest attitude or members forming cliques. If the exclusive member forums are anything like what I've seen so far on the UK trip forum, the topics discussed are very specific and as others have previously stated, wouldn't really be interesting or of use to non-members anyway.

I must just add that you(Robb), Elissa, and anyone else who helps with TPR do a great job creating a marvelous product. I know it takes time, effort, and money to keep the website running efficiently, which is one reason that I try to make an occasional purchase from the TPR store (of course, loving to watch the videos might have something to do with that too). I must also add that all of the items and service that I've received from the store have always been absolutely high quality, which truly shows that you put your heart into it. Thank you for that.

Oh, and I'll throw in one more reason that I'm interested, the possibility of getting the occasional TPR bag'o'crap. Everytime I order the DVDs or anything, I share the extras with my students, who love that stuff! (except the pens...they're MINE)

I think this is a GREAT idea! Discounts, park perks, priority access, that's all really, really good stuff. I feel that being a part of an organization that lets you in to special events is great. In the past, I have often wanted to attend events, but I couldn't due to my lack of membership with some sort of organization.

The $15 credit, or whatever amount you choose is a really nice bonus. The DVD's are very enjoyable. I do feel that maybe throwing in an "Official TPR Member" T-Shirt would be a good thing to include as well. Maybe not give so much store credit, or just give the T-Shirt and no credit? I only say that so you don't go broke, Robb! Lol.

As stated in the paragraph above, an official member t-shirt. As of right now, I can't think of anything else. You have a very good list of things to offer for premium members!

Most definitely! GREAT idea! I would be willing to come up with the money to pay for it. Yay!

Hmm ... The only thing that COULD hold me back is cost. While it might be cheap, I'm still broke! Lol. I would still try to get enough money to pay.

But creating some kind of newsletter, perhaps in an electronic form either online or a CD that would "recap" the best, recent news, trip reports, features, articles, etc, is something we WOULD consider publishing on a regular

Robb,

Here is my one big suggestion: PLEASE make any potential publication a digital release. You and Elissa already have enough stuff to do with half a dozen trips and events every year; burning a few hundred CDs and shipping them across the world several times a year will cost you way too much time, money and stress.