TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What are your initial thoughts?

I think this is great way to support the site. Also becoming a recognised club for club only events is great, even though I would not be able to go to the events.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

No, I think what you are offering is more than enough. I like that guys idea of using the $15 credit to support charity, or pehaps just forgo the credit to support TPR.

3. Is this something that interests you?

I would probably join.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

It is of minimal benefit to me, mainly because of where I live but I would like to join more on the principle of supporting the site.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

No advertising for premium members, just my opinion - I feel you deserve to benefit from your hard work on the site. In any case I have no objection to advertising, if I'm looking for a cheap hotel room, flight, or theme park tickets, or I want to get something like Firefox I would be happy to do it from a link on TPR and support the site. I stress this is just my opinion and please don't take it like I'm telling how to run things.

I prefer to get any newsletters by email as an environmental consideration but I understand that would open up the newsletter to being easily forwarded to non-members.

It sounds like a great idea that would be a substantial benefit to many members.

You seem to have it thought out pretty well. If I think of anything, I'll let you know.

Not at the present time, but it could be something I would consider in the future.

Primarily because I'm not currently in a position to take advantage of some of the more lucrative benefits. TPR, as it is now, does an AWESOME job of taking care of my current needs and wants from a coaster/park enthusiast site. My not being interested is in no way a reflection on the great appreciation I have for those that make so many great things available to us through TPR and their partners.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

I think this is good move on your part and will satisfy a need that is likely to grow, as the site and its offerings grow as well.

The best laid plans—(fill in your own imaginative ending). Tread carefully on the slippery slope, Robb...

It's not like we just thought this up yesterday and put together a post this morning.

This has been something we have been thinking about and planning for OVER A YEAR now.

I just want to go on record to say I'm a little disappointed that anyone would think we would let TPR become "ACE" or anything like that.

We absoultely would NOT allow our Premium Members to become a clique or a seperate class or anything of that sort.

If we had called this "Club TPR" instead of a "Premium Member" would that have changed some people's minds? Maybe it's our terminology? Just curious.

The fact that we actually had the thought to put up a poll and solicit feedback from our members is already a huge step beyond what other organizations would do.

Give us a little credit that if we were to do this, we would do it "right."

--Robb "Did we really deserve the rolling eyes???" Alvey

I really like the idea of a premium membership. If it gives you these special benefits here and there, whithout cuting back some of the R+E benefits that everyone already got used to, then I guess it will work out.

Sure, I would go for it.

I think nearly everything that will support you guys in doing what are you doing for your members and to make TPR even better and better, is a good idea.

--Soren

The best laid plans—(fill in your own imaginative ending). Tread carefully on the slippery slope, Robb...

It's not like we just thought this up yesterday and put together a post this morning.

This has been something we have been thinking about and planning for OVER A YEAR now.

I just want to go on record to say I'm a little disappointed that anyone would think we would let TPR become "ACE" or anything like that.

We absoultely would NOT allow our Premium Members to become a clique or a seperate class or anything of that sort.

If we had called this "Club TPR" instead of a "Premium Member" would that have changed some people's minds? Maybe it's our terminology? Just curious.

The fact that we actually had the thought to put up a poll and solicit feedback from our members is already a huge step beyond what other organizations would do.

Give us a little credit that if we were to do this, we would do it "right."

--Robb "Did we really deserve the rolling eyes???" Alvey

For all the mocking of ACE on TPR, I now realize that this organization would NEVER turn into anything like that. It's clear, to me at least, that this idea has been floating around for a while, and that with the store sales declining, the state of the economy, and how much free stuff you give away, TPR needs a new direction. Is there any way that this new membership could be "soft-tested" to give people more information to base their opinions off of?

Well, it sounds like a treat if you're in North America / Europe, but I'd have to say no for myself, as I don't think Australian members would get the value from it - I can't see the Aussie parks offering much to members - although the prospect of TPR Goodies do sound enticing.

-Rob.

My initial thoughts are that this is a GREAT idea and a long time coming. Great to see you have thought long and hard about it. There IS always the possibility that forces out of your control COULD turn this into another ACE, despite your best intentions. However, this should be "mitigatable".

Is the $40 fee for just one person? If not, will there be a "family" option like ACE does/used to have?

The park perks would not be as beneficial to me if there was only a fee-per-member option. (see #2). I travel to parks a lot with my whole family and for me to get extra ride access without them would not be a good idea.

Make sure the payment is via Paypal, that there is an automated renewal option, and that the coaster count view is updatable from TPR (unless this already is an option and I just don't know about it).

I would want this solely for priority placement on trips.

Yes as long as it is linked in with premium trip features.

If premium mebership did not give any added benefits to trips.

An exclusive TPR trip sounds awesome. Depending on location i would be interested.

Where do I sign up?? Really, I think it is a great idea.

Not at the moment. Free fanboy lessons??

Yes it is.

Can't think of any reason.

Not at the moment.

I think it's a good idea and I would definitely join. You guys always put so much effort into making TPR a great community. I'm sure that an addition like this to the site is something that you've put a lot of thought into.

It looks like you've got it all covered!

Yes.

N/A

I don't think that a newsletter is necessary. Updates through the message boards and emails like they are now seems good to me as it is.

I voted "no". However, this is not due to negative feelings towards "Premium Membership". Instead, the decision was purely situational. If I lived near a sufficient amount of parks (heck, even one major, or decently sized park), I would pay for the premium membership without any hesitation. The perks are fantastic, and I don't have to join ACE to get them. Unfortunately, the closest park to me is SFDK, which is 3-4 hours away. Furthermore, I wouldn't really get a realistic chance to use premium perks, as getting to a park where an event is happening would require the purchase of an airline ticket...to say nothing of hotel, rental car, etc. In addition, I don't see me going on a TPR trip anytime soon (unfortunately). This is why I voted "no".

However, if my situation was different, I would gladly pay for premium membership. The perks are fantastic, and it looks as though the forum itself will remain largely unaffected. In short, I think that the "Premium Membership" is a great idea...I'm all for it! Unfortunately, my present situation would not allow me to take advantage of it. As a result, I would not purchase this option.

-Doug

I voted a hesitant yes. I love the idea & the perks are great & the fee is less than what ACE would charge & you get a LOT more! But my hesitant thoughts are this: since I haven't been able to take any trips yet (although I always plan to) what if finally there was the one time I could finally go & had to be put on a waiting list, but not as a premium member, just to be turned down in lieu of a premium member. While I do understand the significance of being a premium member getting priority, would you not also see if the premium member had been on a trip w/you before & allow a newbie to go instead, to have that chance even if I were not a premium member as of yet? Or how about looking at how long a non-member has been on the waiting list -vs- the premium member who maybe just been placed on it considerably later than the non-premium. Would that still be fair if a non-member had been waiting longer? Just passing along a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind. If anything were to be added as a suggestion, though, would you have special events at parks in different areas or just going with what a certain park is offering already & work around that? That part wasn't too clear. Thanks for listening.

Well I voted no because with everything else I have to pay for every year (Season Passes, ACE member ship plus bills) I just can't add the $40 in anywhere. Now TPR is a really great club but I have a longer and very good relationship with ACE.

TPR has mostly nice people, and some nice looking trips but with my budget I doubt I will be able to afford a trip anytime soon.

ACE works better with my budget with smaller regional events which don't cost too much and most offer alot for my money.

If TPR could work in some small region events I would consider TPR.

Plus everyone I have encountered from ACE are always very friendly and will invite you into their group unfortunately most but not all TPR members I have meant have a negative attitude are not as friendly.

But TPR does have some awesome features and is alot better than Coaster Buzz in my opinion, plus the nice TPR members I have meant were really nice and welcoming. So if I find and extra $40 lying around I really don't think I will hesitate to sign up for premium membership!

Those were just my thoughts

Hey Robb,

I'm happy to support anything you guys wanna do within reason but as has already been said, living in the UK allot of the perks would be lost on me but doesn't mean I wouldn't join.

I understand how much time and effort you dedicate to this site and it's it very much appreciated by all I'm sure.

Come on guys n gals give Robb and Ellisa a break here...

Being from the UK I'd LOVE to come on some of the US TPR trips but it's about having the time and the money to do so including airfare to get there in the first place.. I WILL make it one day though !!

I think this is a great idea! I wouldn't join (voted no) because I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of the perks. I think there would be enough interest that you'd get a lot of members signing up.

I'm in ACE and that is a better "fit" for me. If my situation changed and I were able to join you on trips I'd sign up in a flash, I'd be a member of both clubs with no problem.

This is a great idea. I'm in for anything I can do to support R&E and TPR. Can I sign up now?

To be quite honest, I was very impressed with the benefits. They are well worth the cost. Maybe offer a group t-shirt. I would be willing to pay extra for that or use my store credit for it.

Very much so. I will be joining as soon as this becomes reality.

I'm very interested so this is N/A.

Everything as stated sounds amazing.

I agree with everything the premium membership includes but I voted no because I see it as some sort of fastrack system to have better chance of getting on the trips when in the past priority had been given to members who had done TPR trips before. I think everyone should have a equal chance to get on the trips if they premium member or not.

Not really, but if your doing a TPR trip next year you kinda have no choice but to become premium member as the majorly of participants on the trips will already be premium members so you have no choice but to keep up with the crowd! Its kinda similar to having no choice but to buy Fastrack when you visit a very busy park.

As its like separating all the members into 2 groups and the ones who don't pay up and become premium members might feel guilty for not subscribing later on.

Whatever happens I fine with it, TPR rules! However when I next do a TPR trip I will feel that I'm forced to become a premium member as I may miss out on things or even the trip! In the end premium membership will feel mandatory for trip participants.

In general I'm Ok with the premium membership. I have a few thoughts but I would become a premium member no matter what changes if any were made.

A family membership. Maybe $40 individual, $50 for a spouse, $60 for a family. No matter what level you still only get $15 credit for store/trips.

Make all memberships the same price. $40 for everyone, even if outside the US/Canada. Yes the postage is more but I would think that having a strong base outside the US would be desirable.

Lower the membership to $25 with no store/trip credit. Your selling the stuff at pretty much cost anyway. Might appeal to the people who don't collect the videos, want the t-shirts or use any of the perks but want to keep the sight ad free.

Make renewal a little cheaper. Maybe $30 instead of $40

Not wild about the private forum. I know it will be to discuss trips and such but I think it would just add to the perception of a clique. I think keeping the trips as invite only and a special forum like we have for trips now is a better way. I don't like the idea of buying your way into a trip.

On a TPR trip or event, I don't think PMs should have special perks. You really haven't said what those perks will be yet. If it is priority on a seating for lunch or a time for a tour then I'm ok with that. If it is extra ERT or a special tour then I'm against that and I would not participate. People should be able to have the same experience at a TPR event or trip whether they are a PM or not.

I'm not for a monthly or quarterly publication. Unless someone can come up with an idea that would make it unique and not dated, don't waste the time and money. If you want a publication, join the ECC or ACE. They both have fine publications, they have to because they don't have a web site that comes close to what TPR has. Maybe the weekly Friday update that is e-mailed can be enhanced a little. Add a few pictures with the links.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Howdy,

I'm not sure how useful this info will be or if it will be received at all given how deep this thread is now, however i would like to provide some feedback anyhow.

First of all, i think the idea is quite progressive for such a large community and given all the services and opportunities provided through this website already its a logical step. I voted for "Yes".

Unfortunately however i would not be one of the people who subscribes for similar reasons to other international folk and the reasons they have given.

If you think about this community it is very similar to a typical 'club', ie a car club. By including a paid membership system more can be given back to the active members of the club and the perks suggest are quite appropriate with what one would expect a paid membership would bring.

Its commendable that the amicable route of ensuring that people who choose not to pay for a membership continue to receive such quality free services (ie, access to various trips and media opportunities) and enhancing these through appropriate fees is not an inappropriate or negative thing.

DAAAAAMN I NEED TO STOP TYPING SO FORMALLY!

Cheers