TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

I think it is a good idea and I am all for it!

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

I think someone else mentioned a bag-o-crap?

3. Is this something that interests you?

Yes

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

N/A

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

* I had thought about joining ACE before I found this site, but since I enjoy reading the trip reports and people's posts, I have not really thought about ACE since. Plus, I really enjoy posting my own trip reports and reading people's comments they leave. I don't believe ACE has anything like this, do they?

* If it keeps the pop-up and banner ad's off the site, I am definitely all in!

* You guys do a great job of managing the website...keep up the great work!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Awesome! I've always been interested in being a member of a coaster club and $40 a year is VERY reasonable. TPR is probably the only coaster site I'd pay to become a premium member of.

2. Someone else said a newsletter and that's about all I can think of.

3. Definitely, I'd be proud to be a premium member of TPR.

4. Most of the benefits don't apply to me because I don't see myself making it on a TPR trip anytime soon and my location doesn't warrant a high amount of coaster events.

Seems like a good idea, I'm sure a lot of people will get a lot out of this.

I would really appreciate a semi-platinum poor person membership at a cheaper price. I'd rather support you guys than cbuzz, but their club is cheaper. I will most likely only use the club as a way into the bigger park-sponsored events, so if there was a cheaper option which allowed me to do so; I would buy that no doubt.

Yes

Costs more than the CBuzz club without any added benefit to me, personally; aside from supporting a site I enjoy more overall.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Nope

Remember that with each $40/$50 membership you would instantly be getting $15 of that back in TPR Store credit!

Thank you for your feedback, it is all very, VERY appreciated!

--Robb

I think it's a great idea and I hope it works out well. You guys run a great site with a lot of benefits for your members, and it's great to see you keep growing!

1. Capital idea. I've always wondered if and when TPR would get a Premium Membership, and based on all the approval so far, it looks like that day is fast approaching!

2. You guys offer so much for so little (and often nothing) in return; there's absolutely nothing else I can think of that you guys could do better with these membership offerings.

3. Definitely interests me; I've always wanted to be a card-carrying member of TPR!

5. The TPR store credit is an awesome touch, especially because I've spent well over that so far; as Larry said, the membership in that case averages out to an even MORE affordable $25. I really do hope you go through with this!

Would hope it dosent split the forum into paid and unpaid members with the unpaid members on the outside of the 'in' group

No

Not really

Casual user of the site, love the updates etc but wouldn't attend any events (would love to though!) haven't brought anything from shop and would probably only buy a dvd if i had been on that trip for hardcore members it sounds like an excellent idea

Would hope it dosent split the forum into paid and unpaid members with the unpaid members on the outside of the 'in' group

That was also what I was thinking, and what a lot of people have been worried about. Maybe by the time this is put into effect, I won't feel this way, but as of now I'm not interested.

I voted no, I feel the benefits would be too US centred. Which is clearly where your target market is.

A lot of the all coaster club benefits I get already by being a member of a UK based club, which due to exchange rates and shipping rates works out cheaper. The purely TPR premium benefits left don't appeal to me to justify paying to join another club. So I feel I'd be better off sticking with a more local club that caters more to my part of the World.

But good luck with it if you go ahead.

Great. Count me in.

Like somebody else already said, maybe the ability of changing your title by yourself.

Everything but nothing in particular.

Can't think of anything.

Go live with this next Friday

If this will allow this site to continue to grow then I like the idea. The 15 credit is nice but as others have said, maybe a premium member hoodie would be better instead of 15$. I don't think I would get much use out of the trip side of things but just knowing what is coming ahead of time is great. I also like the idea of a news letter or possibly a special E-magazine linked to in the premium forum would be fun.

As previously stated, priority seating is a big issue as well.

Hopefully this will help address that concern:

If it ends up being that we have more premium members signed up for a trip than we have spots on a trip, well, that's a GREAT problem for us to have! I would **LOVE** to be in the position where we'd have to find a solution for this, and please trust us, we would find a solution that would be fair and make both premium members and non-premium members very happy!

This still doesn't solve the problem for non-premium members who have less of a chance of making it on a trip to begin with. Regardless of if the trip is full of premiums or not.

Seeing as I don't live in the US or UK I have very little use for any of the other perks, so I feel if there was premium membership you'd basically be telling me "Pay $50 or get B-listed".

I think this is good idea. It may make the forums for the paying members a bit different, but I think that is okay. I like the idea and $40/50 really isn't that much

Maybe a list of specific discounts - ie - Cedar fair will give XXXXX, Busch Gardens will give XXXXXX etc. That way people will know how to maximize the use of the club membership.

Maybe a quarterly E-zine that focuses on specific parks or coasters, ride reviews, manufactures etc. - kind of like what ACE offered, but maybe centred around TPR trips etc. - you can even tap into member talents to produce this

Yep - I think it would be great!

If you don't use the benefits, it could be a waste. BUT, people who really want this will pay and those who don't won't

TPR is great. I have been following TPR for 10 years or so. From back when it was a small site with Robbs first trip reports! I love the site and any additions you make are great and it you need a bit of money from membership to improve it, great! I understand that this is not Robb's full time job, but it certainly could be with the amount of work that goes into this site!

1. Not really a fan of this move, but I guess if there's a lot of support of it, you might as well do it. I for one have always liked TPR's completely "free" appeal. Anyone with any income and any age anywhere in the world can join and do everything all members can. The sort of exclusivity of ACE and even Coasterfanatics premium membership has always turned me away from them. As far as the exclusive trips, it seems kind of odd that you would have to be BOTH a premium member AND gone on a trip in the past to go on them. So on top of paying for a previous trip, you also have to pay $40-50 dollars a year (and pay for the trip)?! Seems a little much to me.

3. No

4. Would not want to pay for it, because I wouldn't benefit me enough.

5. As said before, I like TPR because it is free, yet amazingly good, and like it enough that I've paid over $2100 for trips, add on days, and DVDs. I think this move will make TPR more like ACE and coasterfanatics and less of the way it is now. And I don't see how it is possible to not create new "cliques" after this.

Anyway, if this post seems totally negative, it is not meant to be, just trying to share my thoughts. And if enough people buy into it, it will be a great way to raise money for TPR.

Personally, I wouldn't right now buy this premium membership - I am in school and do not have the time to travel around the country/globe on TPR trips (wish I did though!). In any case, I can see it as something I would pay for in future years, most notably for the exclusive park-sponsored events and park discounts.

1) I think this is great! A Premium Membership for only $40 a year doesn't seem like a bad deal. And signing up gets you $15 credit for the TPR store, which pretty much means signing up gives you a free DVD. And even if you're not a Premium Member, it wouldn't hurt you in any major way.

2) I think you've about covered everything. The only thing I can think of is that Premium Members will be able to order their TPR hoodies earlier than non-premium members. Or immunity from being banned from the forums (jk, it's just a joke )

3) There are quite a few things that would interest me, such as exclusive trips, park discounts and perks, the additional goodies, $15 credit for TPR store, and a signature banner.

4) The only thing that I'm NOT interested in is the whole "Premium Members get priority over non-members". It would suck that a non-member has the money to go on a TPR trip, but he couldn't get a seat in a crowded bus because he's not a Premium Member.

5) I think the price is great for everything you will be getting. I have the money right now, so I wouldn't hesitate to get a Premium Membership for TPR.

I really love the idea. But sadly, I can't afford it at this time.

I think what you're offering is genuinely better than most premium membership offers elsewhere.

Yes, but again, I just can't afford it at this time.

Finances are tight right now. Maybe later in a few years.

Keep up the fabulous job of sharing your information & trip reports/pics/videos on the parks throughout the globe!

I would join. I visit this site daily, it makes total sense to join and contribute financially.

-I think it would be cool if you had something special for the initial people that sign-up for this. Even if it was just a title or something. I think I am number 112 to join TPR and I feel like that is pretty awesome. A lot of people will wait to see what the actual perks end up being and then decide to join.

Yes

I really hope TPR doesn't start having giant avatars or signatures. I hate those on other sites. That said, ads don't really bother me.

- I have been a part of other sites with no type of exclusive boards or premium memberships and cliques have still developed. I think some might argue there are cliques already on TPR. Cliques are a part of ANY normal group of people, it is just part of the dynamics of any group. Those with common backgrounds, specific interests, similar age, etc. are going to gravitate towards each other. Some people probably don't even realize that there are already exclusive boards for those going on trips together.

- I like the idea of priority access to trips.

- I do feel bad for all the younger members or people that would not be able to afford this; not because the site would change (I believe Robb when he says it will not) but because I know some of them would just like to join. I would be totally willing to kind of "sponsor" some of the younger members that are important contributors to the site so that they could join.

What are your initial thoughts?

I remember this being mentioned in the past, and I thought it was a pretty cool idea. This price is a bit higher than I had been thinking, but not so high as to necessarily be a deal-breaker. Whether I do it or not at this price may depend on whether there's actually some event I plan on going to (Holli-wood Nights, say). Whereas, if were $20, I would probably do it regardless of my plans for the year.

I think it is a great idea!

I am both ACE and TPR and though TPR does have a cool online community, ACE has you pay which gives you a lot of cool stuff that you get. Also, ACE's trips are cheaper, so based on all this knowledge, ACE is better than TPR. If TPR were to add a paid membership that gives you a bunch of cool stuff, like ACE, than TPR would be better. I would still be an ACE member though because there Roller Coaster magazine and ACE News publication is cool. I would also remain an ACE member because I like how there trips are cheaper and one thing that TPR doesn't have that ACE has which TPR should have, is that ACE has roller coaster designers speak at some of there ACE days or trips (I've never been on a TPR trip so they might have that) and they auction out roller coaster parts, which is cool, plus they have just single ACE days at parks, where TPR has all trips (from what I know). It would be cool if TPR also had some of those things. But TPR also has better merchandise such as Roller Coasters In The Raw.

I'm not saying that any of the two coaster clubs is better than the other, I'm just saying that ACE has a lot of cool features that TPR does not and that if TPR had some of those cool features, it would be way better than ACE.

I think it sounds like a terrific idea, and $40 seems like a reasonable price.

However, I don't think I would personally spring for the extra perks, as I don't get the opportunity to travel that much. In fact, one of the reasons I check out TPR is to live vicariously through the stories and videos!

I personally think it is a great idea. I think it is important to realize the cost to run a site like this and to help support something we all get a lot of enjoyment out of.

I don't know about you guys, but the enjoyment and entertainment I get out of reading TPR, watching videos on CoasterTube, etc. is worth WAY more than 3.33 a month.