TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

I like the card making TPR an official coaster enthusiast club. That's the biggest advantage to me.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

A certain discount on trips would certainly be attractive. I do realize that the trips are probably already at cost and can't be discounted any further, but this would sweeten the deal. Also, spouses should be included (and given a card) either for free or for a very small fee.

Also, a list of known perks that theme parks give to coaster club members would be nice, even if just for information's sake.

3. Is this something that interests you?

Yes... with reservations, however (I voted yes on the poll)- see below.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

I really only have one local park- Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. They've just opened a new coaster this year with a pre-season building preview. Card-carrying members of a coaster enthusiast club were able to come in while the park was closed (in the snow, even) and see the new coaster being built (and saw the park behind the scenes in the process). Exceedingly cool to me, and this would be my primary reason to join. However, I don't know if this is something that happens often enough to make the money worthwhile. I know that WoF does host a few other coaster enthusiast events, but they happen during the season and I'd still have to buy admission like non-club members. Maybe a list of past events/amusement park perks would help to sweeten the deal.

Also, I am considering a trip eventually (although granted, not for a while), but I would need to be sure my wife was extended all the perks I was receiving.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

A "pay-by-the-month" fee might also be attractive, even if that means paying more annually ($5 a month, for example).

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes on the premium option...I've actually been surprised that there wasn't some type of a fee for all of the great things that TPR offers. I understand the concerns people have been stating, but I really don't see the base website experience changing. It has been an oddly cozy feeling that TPR is free to everyone to this point...but it would be much less cozy if all of the sudden TPR was gone due to rising costs both financial and time-wise for R&E.

I'm most likely not going to go on a TPR trip this year, but I'm still ready to send my $ to help the site. I was thinking about donating after the Christmas dust settles, but of course I prefer getting something for my donation! Looks to me like a win/win situation.

I think the biggest issue would be for the international members. It would be good if they could give you some actual/valid ideas of what would make a premium membership a good value for them.

I joined ACE because it was the first coaster enthusiast group I came across. I have kept my membership up for the magazines, but I don't really read those either! I was excited when I found TPR and was surprise when the site was free. I am perfectly happy to replace the ACE membership completely with the TPR membership! I'd much rather support a group that I have traveled with and that I want to see continue to grow.

One other thing...I know many are against the two bus trips. I really don't have an issue if the trips grew back to two buses. I think it actually lets the personalities kind of separate into like minded bus riders! And it was kind of cool to have a greater mix of people. I wouldn't want the trips to get out of control big, but I think they are just going to keep growing in popularity. I would rather a few more get to experience the trips than to never be able to get on one.

I think people shouldn't rely on a premium membership to get on a trip. You have to act fast and send in that deposit! I don't think that is what Robb is saying anyway. New guys have just as good of a chance with getting on a trip as everyone else. You just can't wait and see, you have to respond to the trip offerings immediately as they are going to fill up.

So basically, I'm good with this decision. I don't have any real suggestions for improvements thus far, but I'll think about it and get back to you if I do!

Not that I can think of, maybe monthly discounts in the TPR store. Like Jan. is 5% off DVD's for members, Feb. is 5% off t-shirts, something like that.

Well, I really wish we could do this, but as it is now, $10 DVDs, $8 T-Shirts, and $3 downloads are about as low as we can possible go!

--Robb

Yes, but I just couldn't not (double negative yay!) suggest anything haha.

After reading everyones post now some additional concerns to add.

I do feel that making the PM-only forum worthwhile will include posting stories or videos exclusively, and while not technically taking away something NPM's would have, it would be in reality taking away because normally it would be there for all to see. Now if you post a video there first and then to the regular forum later that is ok by me as the PM's would get the benefit of the first look at a new video or story.

If you do things like, interviews or ERT on trips for PM's only then I am also against it as it would be excluding those NPM's on the trip. I am not against a PM only trip though that is ok, but a trip that is for everyone should have everyone getting every perk on that trip. (Aside from discounts on trip pricing or priority seating in the waiting list.)

A last question about that as well. If a NPM signed up for a trip and was say the first one to do so, his spot is guarenteed correct? Waiting list priority is fine but if you kick out early birds for late PM's then it would be bad too.

Ok I'm done, my vote is still a yes as it stands because from your posts everything seems honky dory and when I get a chance to go on trips I would absolutely take advantage of this.

I think it's a great idea that's probably long overdo.

Higher visibility of CoasterTube video's posted by Premium Members?

Yes

???

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Not sure if this was asked (10 pages and all) but is there going to be a limit as to how many people can become premium members? This would probably only be an issue when it comes to trip prioritization.

to be honest

1- if you lowered the price to say $25 each year to start membership, then it could be more appealing

2- have to provide value in terms of real discounts against memberships at theme parks. ie, in SOCAL, i'd like to get discounts below normal season pass costs at

a) 6 Flags Magic Mountain

b) Knotts Berry Farm (including discounted ticket to Knotts Scary Farm)

c) Disneyland and California Adventure.

If TPR can work out a way to save real money from these park operators... then i believe it would be worth it.

but not really for any real reason like $15 in buying things at the TPR store. Nor to get a first chance at a slot on a TPR trip. honestly, I am married with 2 lil ones. so unless the trip would be a local one to the amusement parks in socal. i wouldn't be joining. and i don't think i'd want to have to buy a membership just to do that.

also, if maybe being a member added extra Fast Passes, line passes and discounts at the theme parks. ie, 20% food, concessions, Merchandise and toys at the parks.... could help also.

access to joining Robbie at Press Only events. like the Media Preview of Universal Halloween Nights in Cali. or stuff like new rides opening at Disneyland or such.

my big thing. Save us money = i'll get a theme park review membership.

but you need to help save more money than the price of the membership.

just giving you my 2 cents.

My coaster enthusiasm doesn't really stretch anywhere past watching videos, browsing forums and infrequently posting on them and I wouldn't really get many or enough benefits to justify paying for personally. BUT if I was older, richer and would be likely to go on trips, I would have no doubts about signing up and I'd think paying the $50 per year isn't only justified, but also a bargain!

I'm also apposed to there being an 'elite' class of TPR members who pay, I think that could really divide the forums.
That's my only real concern I have for the whole thing, but what I do on TPR overall would hardly be affected at-all and my personal objections are very minor. My verdict? Go for it! and I really hope it all goes well without any problems, but I personally am unlikely to sign up.

This is a good idea. I am all for it.

As ginzo has previously stated, probably access to exclusive "PRESS ONLY" events.

Without a doubt!

As previously stated, priority seating is a big issue as well.

Not at the moment.

Not sure if this was asked (10 pages and all) but is there going to be a limit as to how many people can become premium members? This would probably only be an issue when it comes to trip prioritization.

This has been addressed:

Priority Placement on TPR Trips - This means that if we have a trip that has sold out and you are on a wait list, someone who is a premium member will have priority over someone that is not a premium member. Same thing also goes for during sign ups, if we have 50 spots on a trip, and 55 people signed up, if there is room available, the Premium Members will get a spot on a TPR trip over someone who is not a Premium Member. Please note that this is not a GUARENTEED placement on a trip, but you would be given "priority." If it ends up being that we have more premium members signed up for a trip than we have spots on a trip, well, that's a GREAT problem for us to have! I would **LOVE** to be in the position where we'd have to find a solution for this, and please trust us, we would find a solution that would be fair and make both premium members and non-premium members very happy!

The priority on TPR trip seating. Since those things fill up so fast and Premium members get their own trip anyways, it seems unessesary to hog the spots before people that save money for these things all year can even get a shot. I'm sure that there will be atleast 55 that make the premium change, and if they always take priority then there really wont be any new members making any trips...

I've tried to address this best I can...

Priority Placement on TPR Trips - This means that if we have a trip that has sold out and you are on a wait list, someone who is a premium member will have priority over someone that is not a premium member. Same thing also goes for during sign ups, if we have 50 spots on a trip, and 55 people signed up, if there is room available, the Premium Members will get a spot on a TPR trip over someone who is not a Premium Member. Please note that this is not a GUARENTEED placement on a trip, but you would be given "priority." If it ends up being that we have more premium members signed up for a trip than we have spots on a trip, well, that's a GREAT problem for us to have! I would **LOVE** to be in the position where we'd have to find a solution for this, and please trust us, we would find a solution that would be fair and make both premium members and non-premium members very happy!

As previously stated, priority seating is a big issue as well.

Hopefully this will help address that concern:

I think it's a great idea.

One thing that could also sell it, For those of us who live near a park or seven (Orlando), if you have a trip down here but we can't do the entire trip but want to meet up for a day and pay a fee if need be, we can.

Special T-shirts would be cool too, maybe use the $15 credit for that!

I'm all about it. Tell me when and where to sign up!

1. What are your initial thoughts? I assumed something like this was going to happen due to the popularity of the site. I think it's a good idea and completely fair.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering? not at this time

3. Is this something that interests you? definitely

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this? I don't post on my own but my wife does but I would certainly kick in 40-50 bucks a year

My wife belongs to a couple of private boards and the paying or premium membership seems to increase the quality of the posts. FWIW

1) My initial thoughts are positive. This is probably the most popular enthusiast site around, having official membership can only be a good thing. Keeping all the current access available to non-premium members is the most important part of it.

2) If anything, I think you could offer less (and lower the price a bit) and it would still be an excellent deal.

3) It totally interests me.

4) N/A

5) My only comments involve things like "An initial membership packet that will include some nice TPR goodies". My biggest beef always with memberships and clubs is the endless stream of stuff arriving in my mailbox (both physical and electronic). My ideal format for a TPR premium membership would be to receive a simple ID card, but nothing else. I'm not interested in newsletters (typically full of old news), or goodies or anything else (this is true of all clubs, AAA is a really bad offender). I would rather see 100% of the membership fees go towards the site and park/merchandise/event discounts, which are things I actively want. Now I know all this extra stuff is usually very popular, so I'm probably in the minority, but that's fine. It won't change my mind about joining.

Cameron.

Sounds great!

Don't know, it sounds good as it is.

Coaster events with lots and lots of ERT in Europe.

It's REALLY difficoult for me to travel to the US to attend those events but I've seen you wrote about iternational events so it shouldn't be a problem.

Initial thoughts...It sounds like a great idea! I know there has been talk about this for a while, so to finally see this possibly come into reality is great.

As long as there is a TPR pen involved, I'm happy.

If by interested you mean really interested, then absolutely. I know I dont post much, but TPR has led me to make some great friends, and even though I wasnt able to go on a trip in 2009/2010, do to my house, after the fun I had on the mini Behemoth trip, I see myself doing several trips in the future, so this membership would be great.

If when I signed up, my account was deleted, then I wouldnt be happy, but I have a feeling that that doesnt happen when you sign up, so nothing at all really...

Sould I just paypal the money now? : ) This sounds like a great feature and this great site just keeps getting greater!

-All positive thought from me. This is the best idea since the light bulb!

-I saw someone mentioned adding a shirt. I think that would be a great idea. Having our TPR name and all on a shirt would be pretty cool.

-Very much! How soon can we do this?

-For me no real reason. I'm ready!

-No additional feedback as of now.

- I think this could be a good idea

- not really

- It does interest me

- The credit for the TPR store. I haven't purchased anything from it so far, but if that $15 could be counted towards a TPR trip then its all good!

- Im not really interested in a news letter or anything of that sort.

I think this is an excellent idea, the cost is more than fair, and I cannot really think of anything that could be added to it. I am not interested in a newsletter/magazine, as like you said, it would contain old information by the time it gets to you. Plus, a print publication costs a lot of money, which could be better spent on the site. But yeah, this idea is awesome, and I'll be signing up.

Oh, I do think Ice Bat needs his own membership card...

dt

I'm in!

That is a nice list of perks!

Yes. Since I usually buy something off the TPR store sometime during the year, the store credit is a great benefit of membership for me. Plus all the other benefits are great too!

N/A

It probably will give TPR more recognition as a serious "club", and it weren't for what I mentioned below, I would join without any question. On the other hand I don't eat nearly enough to join some of those other (more expensive) organizations out there.

Not that I can think of

Possibly

My interest parks/coasters/etc. has subsided a bit over the last year or so, and without a vehicle (or friends with vehicles) I am generally not able to get out to parks to take advantage of any perks or benefits.

I would personally enjoy doing "Press" events, but they are just that - "Press Only", and that letting just anyone go to them (as others mentioned) could cause problems for TPR (especially with "fanboys") and the parks hosting the events.

Robb , based on all the info and ideas you have given on a "premium" membership I'd definitely be interested. I think it would also give back to the awesome community known as TPR in the long run. I believe sometimes to make something even more awesome than it already is, you need to invest in it. It would nearly be like a classified TPR stockholder lol.