TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

3. Is this something that interests you?

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

1. This is a great new business venture for TPR that could help curb the high costs of running such a great site. but I do have some reservations on some of the perks and how it will turn out.

2. I think it's fine what you have presented.

3. Honestly? No, not the way it's currently being presented.

4. My biggest fear and concern would be the priority seating for the trips. Your trips are amazing and are becoming more and more popular (That's a great thing!). I fear that down the line, you will basically need to become a premium member in order to just go on any of the trips. That would be amazing for the site and revenue, but very bad for any new potential customers (or some older ones). It's already been somewhat mentioned, but also the added bonus perks on the actual trips would make me feel really left out and like a "2nd" class trip participant if there were things that I couldn't do on a trip that any of the other trip participants were doing or getting. Especially at the already high costs of the trips, not that they are not an excellent value relative to what you get to how much you pay, but it's still not cheap.

Also, aside from supporting the site, most of those perks really don't apply to me in the next few years. Maybe in a few years I might feel different, but this is as of today.

5.I think I already covered it all in the other answers.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I don't like it that much because I don't have that much money to begin with to pay for all of the memberships I have.

2) Nothing.

3) Not really.

4) I don't really do trips and when I do go on trips I always go with my parents and they're not that fond of rides and coasters.

5) Can't think of anything.

1. I am rather new to the forum and I was wondering how you could put so much effort in something you didn't charge for. I thought it was very nice but I wouldn't mind becomming a premium member of TPR if it means you can make TPR even grander then it already is.

2. I think you could involve premium members even more into TPR. Maybe indeed through private boards. You know premium members are serious about TPR and can help for example with trip planning. Not to hid you in the head Elissa, your doing a great job, but if a trip is going through an area where a member lives he/she can help by pointing out attractions, restaurant, hotels or other quircks that are not well known of but great to do. (just a thought) And by direct contacting that member it won't spoil the surprice for the rest of the trip go'ers.

3. As I am seeing now I would sign.

4. Not interested?!?

5. Experience wise it will be the next step into TPR evolution. If you do this, welcome to the experience economy. I think it is fair to charge for TPR membership to help in development of TPR. Cyberspace does cost something and you put a lot of work and time into TPR. This may also be your 'hobby' way of life, but I think it is fair to receive more then our great appriciation for this.

Vuurvogel

Much of what you're saying seems reasonable; I've no particular views there one way or another. However, some brief thoughts -

"Special access or additional perks on a TPR Trip"; I thought one of the nice things about TPR was, to paraphrase George Orwell, that "all animals are equal". Introducing a "some animals are more equal than others" has the potential to harm the nice dynamic you have on the trips at the moment.

Also, I can't say I've got any real interest in $15 of TPR store credit. That's not a perk for me TBH; I have a few of your videos at home and never watch them, and I'm phasing out my nerdy t-shirt collection. I'd much rather pay less for membership (presumably you're eating profit margin on this one, so $10 less perhaps) and NOT have store credit. Unless that same credit could be used against trips perhaps?

Just my, er, international $50.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

1) $15 TPR store credit means very little to me. I'd personally MUCH rather have a lower price point than $40 in trade for the credit. Trip perks also don't mean a whole lot because I can't afford the trips, but even if I were to do one, I'd make sure I did everything possible to get myself on the list and not have to fall back on the Premium Member placement perk. I'd also feel a little guilty about taking someone's trip spot just because I spent a little bit more than that person (or family).

I'm a little confused about the "park sponsored events" bit. What's stopping TPR members from having access to them now? How does charging TPR members $40/year change things? Same goes for "park discounts and other perks."

2) Something regarding cruises? Others have mentioned they'd like to see TPR offer something cruise-related in some shape or form.

3) Honestly, no. There's just not enough in it for me to justify a $40 price point, or a $25 price point given what I would likely use and not use out of the list of offerings. Moreover, I simply do not like the idea of tiering memberships at TPR & all the wonderful "I'm better than you" thinking that comes along with it. It changes the TPR dynamic in a way that I'd prefer not to see.

4) For reasons stated above, and because in reality there's no possible way non-PM's will NOT be affected at all by the existence of a premium membership. While nothing's being taken away initially, many opportunity costs are being created that non-PMs will pay. These include, but are not limited to, whatever parks non-PM's miss out on on a TPR trip because of the PM-only trip (i.e. Non-PM's won't be going to Tokyo Disneyland in an Asian trip because the PM-only Japan tour already went there recently, or something to that effect.).

Finally I'll just ask this question. Is it a good idea for people who don't travel a lot, but do frequent parks around where they live (daycationers) to become Premium Members? If so, why? If not, why not?

5) If you do decide to start up the Premium Memberships, PLEASE do everything you can not to continually throw "you should have become a TPR Premium Member because if you did you would have gotten ______" in the faces of non-PMs. There's nothing wrong with suggesting the upgrade in membership, but there's a line between that and going overboard with it. If I went on a TPR trip as a non-PM, I wouldn't want to see any kind of tiering, or miss out on any parts of the trip because I was a non-PM. Given the cost of a TPR trip, having that kind of barrier for $40 or whatever it is would rub me the wrong way, and as said before, NOT make me want to throw in the extra $40 just to make it go away.

I know that TPR is doing this in order to supplement the costs of running the site. While I can understand that, this kind of change at TPR isn't something that makes me real happy to see. I'd much rather TPR find some way of offering those extra perks for certain fees at the time of the perk, instead of having them lumped into an annual cost such as how the Bash events have been done. Perhaps the PM route is simpler, but I'd prefer to avoid tiering if at all possible. I'm just not a big fan of it.

As a very "fresh" participant of the forum (more of a lurker before), and a citizen of Europe, my thoughts:

For many people who are not living in the states this will probably not be a good thing. For us the price is more expensive. And we, on the whole, don't join in as much trips as people living in the states.

Store credit is not attractive to me personally as I don't buy a lot of stuff.

No, the package you are offering is quite good. But I would be interested in the discounts you would manage to get "overseas" (for you that is, not me.) My fear is that the focus of discounts, understandably, would be on the states.

No, because of the aforementioned reasons.

See above

You are creating a class of "second rate" members. I don't have a problem with that and it could very well be a good step for you. But I think that the threshold for new members to join will be bigger. You will create an "incrowd" that will be less accessible to "outsiders".

If you create a forum especially for premium members and give them special perks on TPR trips (ERT, etc) that other trip participants can not join in, you will further alienate new members who will not immediately join your premium membership.

Maybe I am overreacting, because the price is so low that so many members will join, it will not be very exclusive. But for many people not living in the states I think premium membership will not be attractive enough. As we will not be premium members a lot of things will be less accessible to us, and so we will not be enticed to "dive in further" and join in more. This might lead to less participation.

As said before this still might be a good step for TPR as your focus is probably not on non-Usa residents who don't join in a lot of activities.

But for me personally, as I am mostly an avid reader of the forum, only the creation of a premium-forum would have an impact on me. As I am not aware of what would be discussed in that forum I cannot say how that would affect my being "here".

For me that hasn't had the opportunity to go on any of the trips, and probably won't for at least the next year this doesn't seem to intresting. I'm a member of ECC, and since I don't go on any tips the only reason I find it really worth the money is because of First Drop. I'm not saying you should start a magazine, but as long as you don't have a perk like that for the no trip goers it probably won't be to intresting for us.

From another point, this is really smart from a site perspective, as it would probably bring in more cash to run the site. I can absolutely understand why you would do it, and it would probably be great for a lot of the die-hard Themeparkreviewers. But it probably wont do much for those outside that circle.

It's a great idea & can see the benefits for the majority on TPR

Cannot think of anything at present

Can I say maybe ? As being not in the USA, it would on what 'perks' there would be on the international parks & events. I don't really use the TPR store (sorry)

See #3

Great! I've never been a fan of paid memberships for clubs or websites, but being that this makes me a premium member for TPR, sounds awesome! The benefits that come with it sound like it would be well worth the money.

Can't think of anything right now.

Yes! I'd really only consider something like this for TPR, so I'm glad you guys are exploring the whole 'premium access' deal.

There seems to be a high emphasis on TPR Trips, so a lot of the benefits would be of no use to be being that I probably can't do most trips. Granted, there are benefits for sponsored events and much more, so this problem is hardly relevant.

I think this is a great idea, and I really can't think of anything to improve on. I hope this gets the 'green light', and I can't wait for additional details!

1. My initial thoughts are that this sounds really great and of benefit to those people located in locations that would gain benefit from such a premium membership.

2. No, I think what you have proposed sounds good.

3. No.

4. Personally, as I am located in Australia I see very little chance to take advantage of such a premium membership. As I said above, sounds fantastic for US citizens and I would sign up instantly if I were living in the US or some other countries.

5. No additional comments.

I think it's an excellent idea!

Nothing specific off the top of my head, and I think the price is more than reasonable for the proposed offerings.

Yes-I would definitely sign up.

I can't think of any reason why not.....nothing against ACE but I would sign up for this a lot faster than I would an ACE Membership.

My only possible reservation about the idea is as a few others have posted that those who do not elect to purchase a premium membership could somehow feel left out from some of the perks, etc. or feel pressured in some way rather than enticed to upgrade to premium, which I feel would work itself out but could create some tension initially.

Great idea, though-I'd definitely purchase the Premium Membership, even though I have not yet gone on any of the trips beyond local events-if for no other reason than to support what I feel are the already existing great perks of being a TPR member (including West Coast Bash, Tatsu Media Day, events at Robb & Elissa's, a very well maintained community etc etc.).

Guys,

I voted yes. However, please remember to make it attractive even for non-US residents - like me!

That would be great if TPR could promote ERT and events abroad as well, but facing the management difficulties in doing so, I am not quite sure if it would be possible.

Take care and may you all have a wonderful 2010, packed with great emotions and roller-coasters!

Could you maybe just start with a PayPal (or similar) donate button for people to voluntarily donate a few dollars.

I have seen this used successfully on other sites, and would not split the users into 2 classes of members.

I like to read away from PC's. How about including a monthly printable PDF/ebook newsletter which covers the latest park/ride news & reviews each month.

I joined the European Coaster Club many years ago because of the quality of their "First Drop" magazine and still find it useful for keeping up with the newest rides around the world when I don't have time to keep up with all the updates online.

Not as it currently stands.

Mostly as it does not offer much incentive to the average International member. I'd rather donate $5 and not get anything extra.

Peter.

Cautious optimism.

An actual pub, like ACE's Rollercoaster, ECC's First Drop, or DAFE's Barrel O' Fun. Orlando Attractions is another one, but that's not produced by an organization or club. An online mag or 'zine would bring your production costs down.

I voted yes. We would probably be able to take advantage of at least some of the benefits, we can afford it, and we want to support TPR.

I think it makes perfect sense for TPR to find new sources of revenue. I can't imagine the costs for storage, servers, etc., not to mention compensation for R&E's time. At the same time, there is danger of people perceiving unfairness in the creation of TPR castes, even though I know you'd bend over backwards to keep that from messing with the vibe. But the bottom line is that it's really about you being able to afford to run the site and the trips. I do feel bad for people with lower incomes -- there are a lot of students and such on here. You could maybe have different membership levels, as someone suggested. It makes sense to create some benefits that only paid members receive, with basic or student members getting a basic package, while people willing to pay more or join at a higher level get more perks. Everyone can listen to public radio for free, but only those who join (read: pay) get the tote bag.

Is TPR a club? A website? For profit? Non-profit? I've described TPR to my travel and tourism colleagues as a mom and pop cottage industry website and tour company...with a cult following. Now you have a zillion participants and I think it makes perfect sense that TPR should grow and evolve.

Good idea and I am intrigued as to what the initial membership goodies would be.

Not really, maybe an annual book/magazine showcasing events of the previous 12 months.

It would be of interest if I was heading to the US or managed to find the funds to go on a TPR trip. If there was some events and perks offered with the parks on the Gold Coast it might entice me to purchase.

Number of perks regarding park events and trips would be limited to me based on my location. I know I am not in the best place as far as the world is concerned park wise but I doubt I would get as much out of my $50 that someone in the US would.

I see it as a great idea and a good way of sourcing additional funding to help with running the site. Depending on what is offered "internationally" would determine if I was happier with a membership or supporting through an option like paypal or the store.

Question for some of you that want a "monthly newsletter" from TPR -

At the moment we give you a "daily newsletter." What would be the benefit of re-hashing everything you read on the forum and putting it into another (more expensive to produce) format and then distributing it?

Not saying it's not a good idea, I'm just wondering what the benefit it?

If we did a montly newsletter:

- The news would be old

- The content would be repeated

- A printed publication would be expensive to produce

But if that is something that you all would WANT, we could start looking into it.

--Robb

1. What are your initial thoughts? I think this is a very good idea and would happy to support it.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering? UK only offers !!!

3. Is this something that interests you? Yes

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this? If all the events were in the US

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here

It does sound great but as Monicajar said a family price would be a better for me as 5 memberships at $50 would be a little expensive I do like the suggestion of newsletters,For me it would be more about getting access to coaster events rather than tpr trips as they are way out of our family budget unfortunately

We would absoultely do a family price option.

Remember, this is just early information and throwing some ideas out there.

This is all good feedback.

--Robb

I am not very happy to hear about this concept.

Personally, I would not benefit from this, and if anything, it would hurt my TPR experience to have this created.

How exactly would this "hurt your TPR experience???"

Nothing as it is now would change!

And if we didn't do this, you'll probably see ads all over the site.

So in theory, NOT doing this could impact your TPR experience.

--Robb

I definitely think it is a great idea.

I have not taken a trip with TPR as of yet so am limited on any in-depth type of information that I could give.

Would be concerned that if the membership became too large it would push people out on the priority lists for trips, etc.

Overall think it is a great idea-keep us posted on all the additional plans.

1. I like the perks, but I have to consider the money first. I know it's only $40, but I have to really consider if I want to do that.

2. There seems to be a multitude of things which you already have for a small fee.

3. The priority for trips and the possible discounts at theme parks.

4. Actually it looks like I like this enough as it is.

5. This sounds like a good idea, and a way to keep this place ad free

In a nutshell, I'm not going to pay for something that I already have, seeing as I don't go on any trips. I'm also a little annoyed that I wouldn't be able to get into events without getting this membership, because previously I could with just a regular membership.

I'm also apposed to there being an 'elite' class of TPR members who pay, I think that could really divide the forums.