TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Captain EO returns to some Disney Parks in 2010

I worked Journey to Imagination in 1989 and therefore saw Captain EO probably a hundred times. Sure it's not nearly as cool as some of the 3D films today, but the kitsch factor is high and we ALWAYS had a crowd for it. Of course, this was 21 years ago, but I think it would still do well to return to Epcot.

And while they're at it, they coud re-open the Image Works upstairs (if there's anything left!)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what you wish for. There's a reason MJ's show glowed away forever... (I don't think Disney really understands the meaning of that final word). Still, its good to see something in Tomorrowland generating excitement (no, not forgetting Ghost Galaxy). Have fun!

Has there been ANY so cal advertising for this at all? I haven't seen any TV spots, billboards, print ads...ANYTHING.

KTLA was reporting live in the 6 o'clock hour. My friend said it was on the news last night as well but she can't remember what channel. Aside from that I don't think they've put out anything official as of yet.

My friend is there right now and she said it was a walk-on. She and her family enjoyed multiple rides on Midway Mania while all the craziness went on at Disneyland this morning.

I read over on MiceChat that there is no fog effects, starfield, or lasers. I was pretty young when it premiered so I don't remember those things and probably wouldn't notice them missing.

However, they did CHANGE THE COLOR OF THE GLASSES!!!!!!!!! They are no longer purple and are instead yellow! The horror! How dare they?!?!?!? Walt would have gotten purple glasses. I want my AP refunded immediately!

I read over on MiceChat that there is no fog effects, starfield, or lasers. I was pretty young when it premiered so I don't remember those things and probably wouldn't notice them missing.

That's honestly pretty dumb. I mean, I realize it's just the "tribute" but really it's just "the movie." That would be like going to see the Muppet Vision 3D and having none of the effects working.

You might as well watch it on CoasterTube:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=eo-1_2[/coastertube]

^ Oh, of course. I still think Muppet Vision is the best 3D/4D movie they've done to date. But EO was the one that basically started it all. I don't think any other "theme park movie" had any "theater effects" before EO did.

IMO, the star field isn't that big of a deal, and the fog isn't either. But not having the lasers would just make the show seem, I dunno, "empty."

I had been in the Captian EO theater loads of times when FX weren't working and it seemed "odd." Remember, Captain EO was still fairly "new" when I started working at the park so I had seen it more times that I should have.

I really "considered" (read for like 5 minutes) going to see it again because, as much as I really don't like Michael Jackson, the movie was actually a fairly decent presentation. Without the effects, IMO, it's not that much different than watching it at home.

FAIL!

--Robb

^From an enthusiast standpoint, I have to agree with you. Without most of the effects that made the presentation semi-impressive, there is little that I see that screams "I must visit Disneyland just for this."

That being said, I am looking forward to revisiting it when I'm there in July, because I do have fond memories of the experience as a child. Back before I knew that I could research the parks on the internet, I had only vague memories of the show, and I remember being quite disappointed to find that the show was replaced with HISTA (which nearly sent me into a panic attack as a kid thanks to the scene where the snake/lion pops out at you). I think the show will do a good job in terms of publicity for the park, as well as a little bit of increased revenue.

Reading reports today, it seems like the initial rush to be there on the opening hour has finally died down, and now the show is without a wait time... I think this foreshadows what will be EO's run. A busy beginning, and eventual end, but the fans won't be enough to power the middle showings like they did with today's opening. Like it was busy to start with today, I'm guessing there will be another fan surge to send off the show in its final day of operation (whenever that may be), and then it will be over. I could be very wrong, but based on today's reports alone, this is what I'm expecting.

^Keep in mind most of the locals are just getting out of school and are still at work SO there will still be a surge of people. But ultimately I agree. Movies (2D/3D/4D/blahD etc...) are no longer special or must see attractions like they used to be, and just a place to sit for a little and be entertained.

I'm also hearing that the movie itself wasn't great and was out of focus. I'm hoping this is just something that needs to be adjusted and not what we can expect for it's duration. In this day and age to have a film with skips, spots or being out of focus is absolutely unacceptable.

We'll be seeing it on Saturday, I'm looking forward to it, but I'm sure it's not something we'll do on every visit.

Um so I'm working down in the parks this week and went over and checked it out after our shooting was done. Basically, it is what it is. There's some lighting effects, the motion base bounces during a few points in the show, other than that, it's a slightly cleaned up print of a 20 year old 3D movie. We had really crappy seats (front row all the way to left) so the 3D didn't quite work, not like it matters. So yeah, Captain EO...see it, or don't.

I just got back from a quick visit to the park, rode in the cab on the monorail from Downtown Disney. Everyone else in the cab was going to the Magic Eye Theater. I only waited about 20 minutes to see Captain EO. I hadn't seen Captain EO before and had no idea what to expect. I wasn't expecting the theater to move as much as it did. It bounces up and down for almost the entire main song sequence which was kind of weird. I was surprised to see that flashing lights were installed as it looks like Captain EO won't be a permanent installation.Overall, I really enjoyed the show. As some have said before, the video seemed a little blurry but that might be something to be ironed out in the near future. The show was received by fans with cheers and applause almost every few minutes. True Michael Jackson fans will certainly appreciate this tribute to the king of pop, and everyday theme park fans should be happy that something finally replaced HISTA, even if it was the show that was there before HISTA was new.

EO.jpeg.f8a5c714a7370a4619d31f3823e5d679.jpeg

Welcome back, Captain EO.

I have way too many awesome ideas for Amusement Parks. I'm saving them up for when Dave buys his own island and we create our own amusement park!

This would be the most glorious park in the history of history.

And I'm "meh" about the return of Captain EO. Though it's certainly better than HISTA. Almost anything is better than HISTA. Except Stitch.

dt

Today I went to go see it at about 4. And there was no line, except for the 10 min pre show area. I don't think I EVER saw HISTA have a full preshow area and theather, even when it was brand new.

And went I first heard about the shows return I didn't like the idea because in my opinion disney would be making off michael's death. But I had never saw it before so it was great to finally see it in the theather rather than on you tube. And finally I thought that the having the simulator in sinc with the music and for the few special effect shots was great, defently not what i was expecting going in.

All I can say is that I can't wait to see what disney has in store to replace EO in a year or so. Mabey something to compete with Terminator 2 3D with with live actors.