TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Captain EO returns to some Disney Parks in 2010

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in the park yesterday and also noticed the painting going on, as the queue monitors were covered with plastic. I am interested to see the show as I only moved to California a few years ago and never got a chance to see it. I'm really sick of HISTA, and I'm sure many other people are too.

According to my cast reference guide, the official name of the attraction is "CAPTAIN EO Tribute" and from what I've been hearing, the Captain EO film will only stay in the theater until Star Tours 2 is completed. I wonder what will come next for the Magic Eye Theater... I've also heard that there were some pretty neat effects in the theater back when the show first arrived at Disneyland, but if the rumors are true that EO is only making a temporary stay, I have to wonder if they will bother reinstalling them.

• 3 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Since we first announced the return of “Captain EO” on the Disney Parks Blog, there has been an incredible response from fans, and we’ve received many enthusiastic emails and phone calls asking exactly when the classic “Captain EO” attraction featuring Michael Jackson will reopen. Today, we are excited to give you an update on the Captain’s return!

On Tuesday, February 23, as a tribute to the magic, music and messages of “Captain EO,” the 3-D musical adventure is returning to the Tomorrowland theater in which it debuted. While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997.

Check back on the Disney Parks Blog next week for more updates. We’ll also share a special “Captain EO” announcement on Twitter early next week. To be the first to hear it, follow us on Twitter: @Disneyland.

eoo986681SMALL.jpg.b464c25448a2fac79a584df8e8595efa.jpg

1986 photo of “Captain EO” characters at Disneyland park.

While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997.

Do they realize how stupid that sounds?

You can no longer replicate effects from 24 years ago? Just admit it's something that you either can't do in today's litigious society, or didn't feel like spending the money. I'm sure all of the effects COULD be replicated!

^ I mean, how difficult could it be? They has some lasers, a fog machine, a flashing green light, a flash light effect...hmm....I think that may have been it!

If there was one effect that MUST be part of the show it's the lasers. They certainly would make the movie feel less interesting if they were gone. The fog machine only seemed to work about 1/2 of the time, and I'm not even sure more people noticed the green flashing "beacon" or the flashlight effect when Major Domo was seaching around in the dark.

There wasn't anything "complex" like a moving theater or effects in your seat like Honey, I Bored the Audience or Tough to be a Bug has.

--Robb

When I was at Disneyland last week they had all of the side doors open to the theater so you could see inside, and they were moving the floor up and down. Perhaps they will incorporate some of the effects from HISTA into Captain EO.

I'm going to try to stop by the park on Thursday, so I hope it will be running that day.

While it’s not possible to replicate some special effects elements from the original presentation, it will boast a new 70mm print of the film, and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997.

Do they realize how stupid that sounds?

You can no longer replicate effects from 24 years ago? Just admit it's something that you either can't do in today's litigious society, or didn't feel like spending the money. I'm sure all of the effects COULD be replicated!

I agree, it's total BS. They should have said something like "due to us wanting to get the show quickly into the theater some of the more complex special effects from the original presentation that were removed won't be returning." I think they're mostly referring to the star field effect in the opening.

Photos of the overnight addition of signage for the Captain EO Tribute have been posted here:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/132504-eo-signs-up-today.html

I have attached a few photos from the larger collection to give you an idea of what the new signs look like.

IMG_0277.jpg.50868fc20f6a884aadcc6dd304e67a20.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg.319ac06dbef53689aa17183c6ca759ba.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg.be26312ee405cef269ba541cfd4d8a6f.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg.0b417438887acdfd30d802cbf0456ec3.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg.0b253b30ff56e827d70ba501138df321.jpg

^^As of current, there have been no official statements to confirm or deny the return of Captain EO to Epcot, but many argue that if it were to happen, it would have been announced during last week's "What's New? What's Next?" media event.

Not surprisingly, Disneyland has announced that it will offer a line of merchandise to accompany the opening of the Captain EO Tribute.

http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/artofdisneyparks/event/dlr_captain_eo_merchandise.html

Disney enthusiasts will be excited to find special Captain EO inspired merchandise created in celebration of the re-opening of the attraction. Merchandise will include, ladies and men's tees, fleece, military and beanie style hats, posters and souvenir items. In early March, be on the lookout for a specially created Captain EO embroidered nylon jacket. See merchandise and prices listed below.

Captain EO Logo Ladies Tee - $26.95

Captain EO Logo Men's Tee - $24.95

Captain EO Poster Men's Tee- $ 26.95

Captain EO Logo Crew Fleece - $42.95

Captain EO Logo Military Cap $24.95

Captain EO Logo Beanie Hat - $24.95

Poster - $7.95

Captain EO Logo Button - $3.95

Captain EO Embroidered Nylon Jacket - Coming in early to mid-March!

Merchandise will be available at the following Disneyland® park locations and other select locations:

-Emporium on Main Street, U.S.A.

-Star Trader in Tomorrowland

-Tomorrowlanding in Tomorrowland

captain_eo_logo.jpg.f537dc2eb7c0a9e9044d0aca2f68ae31.jpg

Joey, are you a fan of MJ? I could see this having absolutely no appeal for someone that doesn't love his music.

I am excited to see this return, even if just for a while (anything is better than HISTA). I loved Michael Jackson as a kid and was mad when my mom forced me to wear a cutesy dress instead of my Beat It shirt to the first day of kindergarten. I have fond memories of watching this with my friends/family when we went to Disneyland. I have "We are Here to Change the World" on my iPod and it still pumps me up when I have a big meeting or something. I think there are is an entire generation of new Michael fans that will appreciate this. I recently had a 3, 5 and 7 yr. old in my car and the 3 year old started a heated debate with his siblings when he asked me what my favorite Michael Jackson song* was.

I was considering going tomorrow but think I will wait until Friday because I think it will be crazy busy with annoying people tomorrow.

*It's Thriller or Billie Jean.

I don't ever bother to watch HISTA, and I definitely won't bother to wait for this...so it makes no difference to me!

I'm not a fan of MJ and Captain EO scared me as a kid. Plus, as it sounds like in the press release...if they aren't even bothering to "plus" it or restore effects from 20 years ago, it sounds like I won't be missing much!

If the show comes to EPCOT this summer, I'll die of happiness. I've been a huge MJ fan since I was six years old, around the time Invincible came out and thus far, the closest I've come to experiencing the film is listening too "Another Part of Me" off of Bad and "We Are Here To Change The World" off of The Ultimate Collection (and I swear I'm still the only one in Long Island who actually owns that 5 disc set). I even still remember the MJ fans a few years ago who were petitioning to have this released on DVD; a flippin' 16-Minute short film! Since I'm possibly going to Universal Orlando this summer, I wouldn't mind at all taking a quick stop to EPCOT to see the short film multiple times in a row. Even if the admission for one day is sky high, I'd start saving up the minute they announce it at EPCOT.