TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Captain EO returns to some Disney Parks in 2010

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Twenty-three years ago, at the height of his phenomenal entertainment career, Michael Jackson joined forces with Disney to create “Captain EO,” a groundbreaking 17-minute 3D film experience.

We are excited to confirm that the classic musical spectacular that thrilled Disneyland park guests from 1986 – 1997, will return for an exclusive, limited engagement at Disneyland park beginning in February 2010!

The attraction’s return to Tomorrowland will provide new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see “The King of Pop” in a rare performance created for the big-screen, just one more time.

“Honey I Shrunk The Audience” will be closing sometime in the next few weeks to make way for the Captain’s return.

Check back here for more details on “Captain EO.”

It seems that this means that Epcot and Tokyo Disneyland won't be getting the film after all. I was always a fan of the film and I look forward to seeing its return when I visit Disneyland in July!

eop220092SMALL.jpg.ad71610b0165f0f32e39a21c1a5d9e40.jpg

Captain EO returns to Disneyland in February 2010 for an exclusive limited engagement.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of either movie, but I'm all for giving EO a shot over HISTA (which outlived its welcome years ago).

Yet I never get tired of Muppetvision 3D or Mickey's Philharmagic. Go figure.

^^Several sites are reporting that HISTA is history following its closure to make way for EO. For better or for worse, people are thinking that a version of the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor will make its way into the theater once Captain EO's run ends.

I don't think the "Magic Eye Theatre" is big enough for Philharmagic unfortunately.

I love that show so much I'd be willing to forgive the fact that there is nothing "tomorrow'y" about it.

As for MILF, I do like the show, but I don't think it would do as well at Disneyland as it is doing at MK.

Gregg "Would REALLY like to see something new, maybe a Wall-E 4D movie or something" C.

Well, as much as I love Eric Idle and the original HISTK movie, the theatre was practically empty both times I saw it. I wish I could see Captain Eo properly, it's just not the same on Youtube.

Also, I can never take Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor seriously now that I've realised its initials are "MILF".

^I'd be okay with that too! MILF has really grow on me since we first started watching some of the terrible early shows!

I liked MILF. The first show was better than my second go round, but I got to be the dancing guy. Which I must, say I rocked the house.

^I'd be okay with that too! MILF has really grow on me since we first started watching some of the terrible early shows!

Plus KT would much prefer Monsters Inc type stuff than annoying Donald Duck!

I would prefer it if they replaced HISTA with MILF (lol), because as great as Mickey's PhilharMagic is, it wouldn't fit with the futuristic theme of Tomorrowland.

The concept of power coming from children's laughter is futuristic enough for MILF to take its place in the Magic Eye Theater.

On the news of Captain EO, I can't wait to see some of Yesterland's past, even if it is for a limited time.

---space "seriously though, screw solar power and hydroelectricity. Children's laughter can stop global warming" mtfan

Don't really care about Captain EO (bored me then, will still bore me now), but anything that gets the horror known as HISTA out of a park is a GOOD thing! Hopefully the removal of this travesty will continue chain wide.

Now if they could only find a replacement for Stitch...

dt

I wonder if they will be using the HISTA special effects, (seats, mice, etc.) with EO. Could add a little bit to it like when the spaceship crashed, or when Hooter blows his trunk(?). I would love to see something new replace EO when it's done, but I think they will just use something they already have like MILF. As long as they don't put HISTA or Stitch(cringe) there, I'll be ok.

I actually think HISTA is better than Captain EO. But it's still a good move, because I'd rather watch EO again right now than HISTA, only if just for nostalgia.

Plus, EO is a better fit for Tomorrowland, being all future-y and whatnot.

And let's face it: It's a cheap "replacement" that they can probably get some good mileage out of.