TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

If this rumor has done anything its reminded me

1. how insane coaster enthusiasts are and 2. how stupid enthusiasts are.

I absolutely don't think this will happen and that its nothing to get excited about, but really I do hope this happens just so a few enthusiasts kill themselves (videos of them burning their platinum passes will suffice).

Love it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew if I posted that the Melt raves would start coming in.

OK so besides Melt, Auntie Annes and Knotts chicken?

Of the CF parks I have been to lately, the addition/partnering with quality chains has offered better food than served by generic food stands at Six Flags or Cedar Point.

Chick-fil-a chicken strips (KD, CP and KI) are far superior in taste to "Flags Famous Strips"

Chickie and Pete's additions are popular at Carowinds, Cedar Point and Dorney and I don't even like Crab Fries

Famous Dave's at Cedar Point Marina

Tom and Chee's at Kings Island

Cedar Point, Valleyfair and WoF still have Panda Express

Pink's is overpriced but offers interesting options

Do any Six Flags parks have Starbucks?

Whatever happens, happens. I have passes to both and I like both companies for different reasons but the only thing I'm really thinking about is that at least if six flags buys them we could ride millennium force in freezing cold temperatures in December for holiday in the park lol

This will suck for us. We're pretty big Cedar Fair fans. The atmosphere is much more adult and the parks are better maintained. Kings Island is our go-to out of town park. I can only imagine how bad Six Flags will ffck it up. Six Flags Cedar Point? No thanks. I really hope this doesn't happen.

I'm not 100% sure about that. Have you been to six flags fiesta Texas or Discovery kingdom? Those parks are beautiful.

Yeah. Looney Tunes and Super Heroes. Trains wrapped in advertisements. Beautiful.

This will suck for us. We're pretty big Cedar Fair fans. The atmosphere is much more adult and the parks are better maintained. Kings Island is our go-to out of town park. I can only imagine how bad Six Flags will ffck it up. Six Flags Cedar Point? No thanks. I really hope this doesn't happen.

I'm not 100% sure about that. Have you been to six flags fiesta Texas or Discovery kingdom? Those parks are beautiful.

Yeah. Looney Tunes and Super Heroes. Trains wrapped in advertisements. Beautiful.

The rides are themed to superheros...yea. Just like a lot of the rides at cedar fair parks are to snoopy. Fiesta is a beautiful park. I just posted a bunch of random pictures from around the park. I don't really see any crazy advertising. I do remember that the boomerang and spinning coaster both had wraps on the trains...But so what? That has zero effect on my day, nor does it change the ride experience. The only loony tunes that I recall at the park were on the tv's while in line, and a few meet and greets. A few of the rides were loony tune themed as well. Again....how is that different than what cedar fair is doing with snoopy? We are actually loony tunes fans, and wanted more.

I mean...if you are into concrete, garbage cans, and sterol invirements, than cedar fair parks are great. With that being said, I still have fun at cedar fair parks as well, because I don't go to a park to nit pick everything. I go to have fun. This is why I don't hang with too many coaster nerds. They nit pick too much.

20170703_181810.thumb.jpg.290133c0119de2ee3e1127091e1c778c.jpg

20170704_154151.thumb.jpg.43590455499d1c2f3f4a59297f1026cb.jpg

20170703_174514.thumb.jpg.7e446cd75ea6fd2b2234b9b2c325a0d2.jpg

20170703_175047.thumb.jpg.654f8457b2e05e37e6c8d03a15d3800c.jpg

20170703_174910.thumb.jpg.4fc8108900f64996296d9218cc8dfe4c.jpg

How is it nitpicking to say I enjoy the clean lines and atmosphere of a Cedar Fair park? I'm not overly analytical when it comes to parks, because I pretty much don't give a shit about every minor detail. If I cared I'd probably go to Disney. But, I'll say that in my experiences Cedar Fair parks generally feel cleaner, better maintained, less juvenile, and the crowds are usually better behaved. As adults, my wife and I feel less out of place at Cedar Fair parks. She's not a "coaster nerd" at all. I also really like Cedar Fair's Fastlane system vs. any other skip the line options I've encountered. Cedar Fair also has a much more forgiving weather policy when it comes to closing parks early. It also seems like operations are better at Cedar Fair Parks. All of this comes with a higher price tag.

There is clearly a different feel between the two chains and both have different strategies. Six Flags cashes in on more benefits for members, cheaper season passes, and they add at least one new ride to each park every year. Their business strategy is killing it, but that doesn't mean it caters to my tastes. Not everyone has to like Coke over Pepsi, dude. Saying that just because I prefer one overall experience that one brand offers over another is not nitpicking. Maybe I didn't articulate it well, because I didn't care to. But, these are my reasons based on my experiences.

Edited by prozach626

I've been going to Cedar Point literally my entire life (sans the first three years of it, if you want to be super literal), and as a general rule, have preferred Cedar Fair parks over the years. However, I also have had many great days spent at Six Flags parks, including just this past weekend at SFGAm, and I am one of the more vocal critics of how CF operates as a company, and does business at times. While I've seen SF become more well rounded, and a better run company over the years, I feel like CF has become more corporate, and detached from the consumer, and customer service (not entirely, but in a number of ways.) Now, that doesn't mean I don't still love CF parks, and am glad that they've been in existence over the years! Overall, I still prefer CF to SF. However, I definitely don't hate SF, and I do think it's become absurdly cliche to rip on them about any number of perceived shortcomings these days. I think both park chains have their strengths and weaknesses, and I think they each have established a nice niche in the world.

So that's the perspective I'm coming at this possible M&A by SF from. I don't automatically think this is is bad news, and signals the death of Cedar Fair as we know it. Honestly, as others have alluded to, being a part of Six Flags would obviously be a boon for smaller parks like MIA, VF, DP, and WoF. It also doesn't mean the larger parks won't still get attention, and decent new additions. Heck, the 2020 addition I'm most excited for isn't at a CF, or SEAS park, but a SF park! Sure, the days of large B&M's may end, but even then, there's no guarantee, depending on what impact the additional revenues bring in for SF. So while I would personally prefer that the chains remain separate, and keep doing what they do best (or worst), I also don't view this possibility as some apocalyptic, end of times action, that will doom the amusement industry. You never know... It could even end up being great for all parks involved, in the long run!

However, my 15 year old son who is an up and coming enthusiast may disagree, and is not taking this news too well at the moment! But he'll come around, and hopefully calmer heads will prevail, and nobody will stay too worked up over this. We don't even know any details, and there is a very strong chance that nothing comes of this, and the status quo will be maintained. And even if SF does succeed, and take over, there's no assurance that they won't take on more of the CF management philosophy, and actual personnel, and we won't have any idea what all will be affected in the different parks for a couple years out at least. So while this is definitely some interesting, out of left field news, and certainly brings up some interesting questions, I think that's all this is at this point.

I've been going to Cedar Point literally my entire life (sans the first three years of it, if you want to be super literal), and as a general rule, have preferred Cedar Fair parks over the years. However, I also have had many great days spent at Six Flags parks, including just this past weekend at SFGAm, and I am one of the more vocal critics of how CF operates as a company, and does business at times. While I've seen SF become more well rounded, and a better run company over the years, I feel like CF has become more corporate, and detached from the consumer, and customer service (not entirely, but in a number of ways.) Now, that doesn't mean I don't still love CF parks, and am glad that they've been in existence over the years! Overall, I still prefer CF to SF. However, I definitely don't hate SF, and I do think it's become absurdly cliche to rip on them about any number of perceived shortcomings these days. I think both park chains have their strengths and weaknesses, and I think they each have established a nice niche in the world.

So that's the perspective I'm coming at this possible M&A by SF from. I don't automatically think this is is bad news, and signals the death of Cedar Fair as we know it. Honestly, as others have alluded to, being a part of Six Flags would obviously be a boon for smaller parks like MIA, VF, DP, and WoF. It also doesn't mean the larger parks won't still get attention, and decent new additions. Heck, the 2020 addition I'm most excited for isn't at a CF, or SEAS park, but a SF park! Sure, the days of large B&M's may end, but even then, there's no guarantee, depending on what impact the additional revenues bring in for SF. So while I would personally prefer that the chains remain separate, and keep doing what they do best (or worst), I also don't view this possibility as some apocalyptic, end of times action, that will doom the amusement industry. You never know... It could even end up being great for all parks involved, in the long run!

However, my 15 year old son who is an up and coming enthusiast may disagree, and is not taking this news too well at the moment! But he'll come around, and hopefully calmer heads will prevail, and nobody will stay too worked up over this. We don't even know any details, and there is a very strong chance that nothing comes of this, and the status quo will be maintained. And even if SF does succeed, and take over, there's no assurance that they won't take on more of the CF management philosophy, and actual personnel, and we won't have any idea what all will be affected in the different parks for a couple years out at least. So while this is definitely some interesting, out of left field news, and certainly brings up some interesting questions, I think that's all this is at this point.

Regarding the last few posts: I think we can all agree that when it comes to theming and visual appeal, Fiesta Texas is more the exception than the rule. I've not been there, and I havent been to all that many parks compared to some of you, but I've been to some, and that looks easily like the best looking Six Flags park. I'm hoping to make it there in November, so we shall see.

Also, I keep seeing how it will be good for parks like VF, MA, and WoF. I can't say I agree, at least with WoF. I havent been to the other two, but I've been to WoF at least once a year for 3 or 4 seasons now, and I can't see it becoming a six flags park as an overall positive. WoF has gotten a number of "new" rides in recent years. Sure, they have been classics like the troika and condor, but it's not like the park hasnt gotten anything. And it's a very pretty park, with the rides all nicely painted. They just redid the front gate and the town square area(or whatever its called) in the last few years as well. I cant imagine six flags would have made those improvements, and also cant imagine them keeping these areas, and the park in general, looking as good as it does.

And I agree with Zach about the DC characters. It's annoying to see almost every ride named and "themed" after a comic book character I could care less about. Especially when they are just dropping these into areas with established theming with no regard for the cohesiveness of the area and theming. I can't wait for them to drop Harley Quinn spinsanity into the Africa section, or joker into the Asia section of WoF.....

Just my 2 cents.

Regarding the last few posts: I think we can all agree that when it comes to theming and visual appeal, Fiesta Texas is more the exception than the rule. I've not been there, and I havent been to all that many parks compared to some of you, but I've been to some, and that looks easily like the best looking Six Flags park. I'm hoping to make it there in November, so we shall see.

Also, I keep seeing how it will be good for parks like VF, MA, and WoF. I can't say I agree, at least with WoF. I havent been to the other two, but I've been to WoF at least once a year for 3 or 4 seasons now, and I can't see it becoming a six flags park as an overall positive. WoF has gotten a number of "new" rides in recent years. Sure, they have been classics like the troika and condor, but it's not like the park hasnt gotten anything. And it's a very pretty park, with the rides all nicely painted. They just redid the front gate and the town square area(or whatever its called) in the last few years as well. I cant imagine six flags would have made those improvements, and also cant imagine them keeping these areas, and the park in general, looking as good as it does.

And I agree with Zach about the DC characters. It's annoying to see almost every ride named and "themed" after a comic book character I could care less about. Especially when they are just dropping these into areas with established theming with no regard for the cohesiveness of the area and theming. I can't wait for them to drop Harley Quinn spinsanity into the Africa section, or joker into the Asia section of WoF.....

Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree. The landscaping has really stepped it up the last couple of years at WOF. And they have seemed to bring back more of the theming. I would hate to see WOF lose all of its charm. I live in Mid-Missouri and am able to visit both parks and definitely love the feel of WOF over Six Flags, although SDC has them both beat. I really don't think it would be good for WOF.

Do any Six Flags parks have Starbucks?

Darien Lake (although not technically owned by Six Flags) has Tim Hortons, which one could argue is superior to Starbucks.

It's not an argument I would make... but you know... someone could I suppose

Darien Lake (although not technically owned by Six Flags) has Tim Hortons, which one could argue is superior to Starbucks.

Tim Horton's is the greatest coffee shop to ever grace this earth. Wonderland has one too and it's also the most affordable dining establishment in any corporate park ever. God, I love them.

I have only one con to this merger if it happens and that is the Six Flags love of 1 train ops.

The biggest pro for me is how Six Flags does their passes. The fact they advertise all their parks and give better perks for their higher level passes. Cedar Fair would do better if they advertised their Platinum pass more.

I just don't get the complaints about ride names and themes. The name of a ride does nothing to change the enjoyment of a ride. Weather it's called Batman or flight deck, what's the difference? I am beyond myself how this could even bother someone in the least.

And as far as theming goes, how can you not like a ride that is in a themed environment? And it's not like the rides are over themed. As a matter of fact, most of the superhero themed coasters are basically just named after a superhero and painted in the same color as said superhero. They may have a few random pieces of scenery or theming elements, but it's far from being overblown. It's funny, because you never hear people complaining about an over theming issue at universal, Disney, SeaWorld, Busch, Hershey, legoland, worlds of fun, carowinds, knotts berry farms, Dollywood, silver dollar city...ect...ect. It only seems to be about six flags for some reason. I think it's because it's the "cool thing to do", and not really because you actually care.

The biggest pro for me is how Six Flags does their passes. The fact they advertise all their parks and give better perks for their higher level passes. Cedar Fair would do better if they advertised their Platinum pass more.

I was thinking of how season passes would work under a bigger company.

I wonder if a tier structure based on the number of parks you want to access would work: one-park, three-park, all parks. The three-park pass allows you to pick the parks you want to access, either when purchasing the pass or just "locking" your card after you enter your designated number (once you enter the third park, it only works for those three parks). The mid-level becomes a sort of "regional" pass, but still allows you to make your three parks across the country from each other if you want.

Tim Horton's is the greatest coffee shop to ever grace this earth. Wonderland has one too and it's also the most affordable dining establishment in any corporate park ever. God, I love them.

I prefer Tim Horton's to Starbucks, but honestly don't really like either. I'd prefer to not go to a coffee shop at all, but if I do Tim Horton's in at the top of my list.

Source

Sale is "highly unlikely" per Wells Fargo.

From the article "Analyst Tim Conder comments "We had an opportunity to speak with FUN management post close 10.03.19. While no specific comment was made regarding the Reuters article of SIX making a bid for FUN, management did state that the company is NOT looking to be sold."

Fingers crossed! lol

Big update: The deal is probably dead but the proposal was very real. Cedar Fair has turned down a 4 billion dollar acquisition offer from Six Flags.

Cedar Fair turns away Six Flags

Oct. 4, 2019 12:14 PM ET|About: Cedar Fair, L.P. (FUN)|By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor

Cedar Fair (FUN -2.8%) turned down a $4B cash-and-stock offer from Six Flags Entertainment (SIX +2.2%), sources tell Reuters.

The theme park operator is said to have considered the ~$70 deal price plus some cash as inadequate.

Six Flags is not expected to come in with a new offer.

Cedar Fair is back to $59.26, still above where FUN shares stood when the Six Flags story first broke.

Link

Edited by coasterbill

I just don't get the complaints about ride names and themes. The name of a ride does nothing to change the enjoyment of a ride. Weather it's called Batman or flight deck, what's the difference? I am beyond myself how this could even bother someone in the least.

And as far as theming goes, how can you not like a ride that is in a themed environment? And it's not like the rides are over themed. As a matter of fact, most of the superhero themed coasters are basically just named after a superhero and painted in the same color as said superhero. They may have a few random pieces of scenery or theming elements, but it's far from being overblown. It's funny, because you never hear people complaining about an over theming issue at universal, Disney, SeaWorld, Busch, Hershey, legoland, worlds of fun, carowinds, knotts berry farms, Dollywood, silver dollar city...ect...ect. It only seems to be about six flags for some reason. I think it's because it's the "cool thing to do", and not really because you actually care.

The complaint from many, including myself, is that the current Six Flags installs new rides themed to DC characters without any regard for the theming the park already has. IE installing Supergirl in the Britannia section at SFSTL. Cedar Fair has been working more towards coherent area theming while Six Flags has been moving towards everything being a superhero ride while creating a thematic mashup with the existing themes in areas. I'm much more of a fan of Kings Island putting a spacey themed ride named Orion into X Base than I would be if it were called Superman in X Base, which is almost certainly what would have happened if Six Flags bought Cedar Fair a year ago....

^^ I knew this would happen, but it still would be nice for Dorney and Michigans Adventure to run as a Six Flags park imo

Would it though? Why would Six Flags invest in Dorney and compete with themselves? They would probably have done exactly the same thing that Cedar Fair is doing but for different reasons.

Also I don’t know if y’all are crazy or what but Cedar Fair is NEVER letting Michigan’s Adventure out of its grip. The ENTIRE reason Kinzel even had any interest in MIA to begin with is to make sure Six Flags or another operator didn’t get its hands on it and do to it what they didn’t to Geauga Lake. (I.e. build a ton of rollercoasters and significantly start to compete with Cedar Point for the metro Detroit market). Kinzel protected cedar point like it was his child and FUN still has a lot of that view. That’s why MIA gets little expansion when a bit of growth might be possible there because any further growth would be carving out more of Cedar Point’s turf. Heck cedar point even started marketing in Chicago which is south and west of MIA and MIA is actually closer to Chicago than Cedar Point is to Chicago. I would bet some significant change that nobody from Chicago has ever seen a Michigan’s adventure advertisement.