TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Yeah, no way is there any positive for the consumer here. I certainly hope this doesn't come to fruition. It is nice having some actual healthy competition between the two companies, despite knowing that most guests will only visit their home park. And very few markets even offer a viable park by each company to visit.

We'll see I guess.

Now CF is skipping the B. Riley FBR Annual Consumer & Media Conference, which I assume, is to potentially avoid Q&A discussions on the potential acquisition? At least, based on what some others have said (I am not familiar enough to know what these things mean, if anything).

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3503666-cedar-fair-said-skipping-conference-today?fbclid=IwAR1oIBbFSTNrjZF-yY9r96Y1Z0Qlqsaitso7lT650CUB8lhioOUTQQlXSgk#email_link

NO. F no. How soon we forget when Six Flags bought all those parks years ago, ran them into the ground, and then sold them off.

Cedar Fair does not NEED Six Flags or its management style. If anything, let Six Flags pick up some of the water parks and ruin...I mean, run them.

I'd also wonder what the pricing impact would be. Would Six Flags lower the price of Cedar Fair passes or up the cost of their own passes. I'm leaning towards the latter if a big rival is out of the picture.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but we'll see.

Now CF is skipping the B. Riley FBR Annual Consumer & Media Conference, which I assume, is to potentially avoid Q&A discussions on the potential acquisition? At least, based on what some others have said (I am not familiar enough to know what these things mean, if anything).

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3503666-cedar-fair-said-skipping-conference-today?fbclid=IwAR1oIBbFSTNrjZF-yY9r96Y1Z0Qlqsaitso7lT650CUB8lhioOUTQQlXSgk#email_link

Screenshot_20191003-081713_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0a6f601788e430dc8524936b2425f804.jpg

1525840560_Screenshot_20191003-082258_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c41fe640d86838e8f2594ca4641fac07.jpg

I haven't followed this anywhere near as much as others, but has the prevailing rumor always been that Six Flags was buying Cedar Fair? Has there been any scuttlebutt about the merger possibly being the other way around? Cedar Fair buying Six Flags?

To be a bit fair to Six Flags, buying up all of the parks back in the 90s/early 2000s wasn't the only contributing factor towards bankruptcy, but also the HUGE capital investments the company made into each park. Think about how many huge coasters Six Flags parks added between 1999 - 2003, not to mention all of the SLCs, Boomerangs, and family coasters that sprang up as well. Park operations have been a lot more disciplined with their capex approach in recent years.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. There's a big opportunity for some good and a lot of bad. Definitely continues the trend of big companies becoming bigger. Reminds me of Parks & Rec:

latest?cb=20171030033956

I haven't followed this anywhere near as much as others, but has the prevailing rumor always been that Six Flags was buying Cedar Fair? Has there been any scuttlebutt about the merger possibly being the other way around? Cedar Fair buying Six Flags?

Six Flags is the larger company in terms of market value.

What if this isn't a full merger? Cedar Fair has invested heavily in a select few parks. Maybe Six Flags is inquiring about some of the smaller ones like Michigan's Adventure that haven't seen the big investments.

I could see that being a win for everyone since this would actually guarantee they get a new addition.

Kinda glad I haven't renewed my Platinum Pass yet if this turns out to actually happen. I'm truly dreading this, mostly for the prospect of them eliminating the (IMHO) vastly superior skip-the-line system that CF uses and how the parks will fare in the future. I don't go to Six Flags parks for a reason despite there being two of them closer to me than the nearest CF park.

EDIT: The only way I could see this being beneficial for the consumer is if SF buys CF, but retains CF's entire management team and none from Six Flags, and changes nothing at existing CF parks. Sadly I don't see that happening.

Edited by Mike240SX

What if this isn't a full merger? Cedar Fair has invested heavily in a select few parks. Maybe Six Flags is inquiring about some of the smaller ones like Michigan's Adventure that haven't seen the big investments.

I could see that being a win for everyone since this would actually guarantee they get a new addition.

I still contend that there's no reason for Cedar Fair to sell that park ever (though everything has a price). It's probably worth more to Cedar Fair than it would be to Six Flags given their season pass pricing structure and the fact that Cedar Point can use it as a Halloweekends staffing pool which they need desperately.

Edited by coasterbill

I'd be fine if Six Flags takes over CF if they let the man, Jeff Siebert, take control of the parks!

Also, look at how nice Six Flags has been lately. Giving the lead car of Iron Wolf to B&M Who'd change their mind if they could get a piece of Vortex or Firehawk? I'm sure there will be other old favorites they'd take down in favor of YOLO Coasters

Six_Flags-America.png.c203dfc666d62051df3b8672a19b8d5d.png

Here B&M we're uh, giving it back

^^^^ This!!!

I think it wouldn't be smart for either company to merge or buy one another. It is truly interesting how these companies think this would be smart in the long run. Unfortunately I feel as if companies don't really care about much more than profit and if they think this will work for a long enough period of time to make more money....they will do it.

We all know it won't last and it will be a disaster. Six Flags is so lucky to even still be running at this point.

If this rumor has done anything its reminded me

1. how insane coaster enthusiasts are and 2. how stupid enthusiasts are.

I absolutely don't think this will happen and that its nothing to get excited about, but really I do hope this happens just so a few enthusiasts kill themselves (videos of them burning their platinum passes will suffice).