TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

I agree that I feel better about Six Flags now than I have in years but I appreciate different things about each company.

This. I just told a coworker about this news and they asked, "Don't you have passes to both? Won't this be a good thing?"

Yes. And a big fat no.

I mean, MIA and Valleyfair might get 4-D Free Spins, but at what cost to the larger parks? Hopefully the source is the Dippin' Dots guy.

Most of all, I want parks that look and feel different.

This is exactly how I feel. I hate the idea of a park like Knott's with great theming and an incredible haunt event being run by Six Flags where both of those things would go to sh*t quickly but I also hate the idea of a park like Great Adventure being run like a Cedar Fair park, potentially opening in May like Dorney and losing everything that's cool about their Holiday event if they actually adopted the Cedar Fair style of management (which is probably less likely to be fair).

Both of those things suck. I agree that I feel better about Six Flags now than I have in years but I appreciate different things about each company.

Imagine you get the worst of both. Six Flags drags the Cedar Fair Halloween events to hell and all the franchised restaurants are closed for mediocre inhouse replacements while seat belts are installed on everything and coasters are closed for Winterfest. I might just do 3-4 trips a year to Knoebels, Orlando, and overseas where they didn't ruin everything yet.

Well... I'm trying to avoid a knee-jerk, emotional reaction right now, as I don't know if this even has a chance of happening...

But it's safe to say that my productivity for the rest of the work day is pretty much flat lined as I am now scouring the internet for any shred of news about this.

If it makes you feel better, despite an initial surge the market doesn't seem to buy into this and neither does Wells Fargo.

Edited by coasterbill

Imagine you get the worst of both. Six Flags drags the Cedar Fair Halloween events to hell and all the franchised restaurants are closed for mediocre inhouse replacements while seat belts are installed on everything and coasters are closed for Winterfest. I might just do 3-4 trips a year to Knoebels, Orlando, and overseas where they didn't ruin everything yet.

Oh yeah, I'd take my ass straight back to Parc Asterix where they have a flying bar ride and unlock invert restraints while standing on a moving floor weaving in and out of a moving train. Now that I've been to a few international parks I feel like I've seen the light.

Potential downsides: Everything

Potential upsides: We can ride Fury, Orion and Leviathan during Winterfest... so there's that.

Well Dorney would occasionally get a new ride, so that's an "upside" I suppose

There is no way this happens

Potential downsides: Everything

Potential upsides: We can ride Fury, Orion and Leviathan during Winterfest... so there's that.

Well Dorney would occasionally get a new ride, so that's an "upside" I suppose

There is no way this happens

ooo. a new "loop coaster"!

Most of all, I want parks that look and feel different.

This is exactly how I feel. I hate the idea of a park like Knott's with great theming and an incredible haunt event being run by Six Flags where both of those things would go to sh*t quickly but I also hate the idea of a park like Great Adventure being run like a Cedar Fair park, potentially opening in May like Dorney and losing everything that's cool about their Holiday event if they actually adopted the Cedar Fair style of management (which is probably less likely to be fair).

Both of those things suck. I agree that I feel better about Six Flags now than I have in years but I appreciate different things about each company.

You forgot one thing in the "worst of both": the Six Flags passes would become one-park, with the all-park pass being exclusive to the new Diamond Super Elite tier.

If the merger were to happen, this would still leave the new SF/CF company lightyears behind Disney as far as revenue, right?

Just trying to work through how this can be a mutually beneficial agreement to both sides and I can't come up with one on the CF side. It's not like they have a black hole of debt, so there isn't a "cash out" option on the table for them.

Didn't Six Flags learn from the 2000's that this is definitely not a good move? They'll go bankrupt again, and all parks will suffer. Not to mention that the brand for both parks are entirely different, and I feel that's how the public likes it.

This would undoubtedly be good news for Dorney and Michigan's Adventure, I'll give you that.

If Cedar Six Flags is anything like Wall Street, they will find a way to combine Dorney Park, Michigan's Adventure, any Six Flags crap, plus all the takeover debt, into some other spinoff company with just enough reserves to last a couple of years before it sinks to the bottom of the ocean. I think they will call it Parques Titanica.

This to me sounds like terrible news for the general consumer and for theme park enthusiasts.

For selfish reasons I'd rather have Hershend buy all or part of Cedar Fair's assets.

Edited by sdcfan88

This will suck for us. We're pretty big Cedar Fair fans. The atmosphere is much more adult and the parks are better maintained. Kings Island is our go-to out of town park. I can only imagine how bad Six Flags will ffck it up. Six Flags Cedar Point? No thanks. I really hope this doesn't happen.

This will suck for us. We're pretty big Cedar Fair fans. The atmosphere is much more adult and the parks are better maintained. Kings Island is our go-to out of town park. I can only imagine how bad Six Flags will ffck it up. Six Flags Cedar Point? No thanks. I really hope this doesn't happen.

I'm not 100% sure about that. Have you been to six flags fiesta Texas or Discovery kingdom? Those parks are beautiful.