TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Let's be real: whatever coaster Knott's is getting is going to be ultra-compact because the space they have is very limited.

The problem with a Raptor is that the capacity isn't big enough for KBF plus RMC is probably already booked with both RMC conversions and projects at Kennywood and Silverwood.

Let's be real: whatever coaster Knott's is getting is going to be ultra-compact because the space they have is very limited.

The problem with a Raptor is that the capacity isn't big enough for KBF plus RMC is probably already booked with both RMC conversions and projects at Kennywood and Silverwood.

Remember we don't know if the coaster at Kennywood is going to be an RMC.

^I haven't seen anything anywhere confirming the Silverwood RMC rumor either, nor have I seen anything about how many coasters RMC is capable of building in a season especially when you factor in the long timelines for Hurler and Mean Streak. I also see no reason why anyone would say with certainty that the new Knott's coaster has to be compact (look what they did with Silver Bullet) or that Knott's doesn't want a low capacity coaster when they have a shuttle coaster, an Intamin launch coaster that only runs one 20 passenger train, a Wild Mouse and 2 family coasters that holds 16 riders per train each.

Every single thing in that post is speculative bullsh*t presented as fact.

So, random thought that is likely in NO WAY related to the current conversation... Does anybody else ever wonder if the kid from Coaster Studios has an account here on TPR, and posts? Just curious...

He probably does but no never thought about it. Don't see the point of this question. Probably wrong thread too.

No not this time. No way that was a joke. Seriously? How is that a joke?

The joke was that some users here post rumors/speculation with absolute certainty, which is similar to what Coaster Studios does on his channel. (ie. AstrumSpark's last post does this multiple times)

Remember we don't know if the coaster at Kennywood is going to be an RMC.

It 100% will be. They have been at Kennywood many times.

I agree with Bill. Just because someone has said they saw RMC people there doesn't mean they actually did. But even if there have been doesnt mean the next coaster will be RMC or even anytime soon. Same goes for Silverwood. But even if it was what makes you think the number of projects limits them? Any RMC projects currently in progress were obviously finished as far design goes well before actual work started. Hurler at the very least has been in the works for several years. RMC like most companies contracts other companies to build a lot of their installations so manpower isn't an issue. And I'm pretty sure there are different design teams for woodie conversions, ground up woodies and even for the steelies. Conversions probably take the longest to figure out and those are both underway so the design is finished freeing up that team to begin the next one. As for the steelies they've been working on that for several years. Pretty sure that design is complete as well. We just don't know. I like to speculate and sometimes say I'm pretty darn certain. But even I have never said anything as fact. I'm pretty sure Knott's is getting a Raptor/T-Rex but I wouldn't stake money on it. Would you stake money on yours?

Want to clear this up a little bit from my memory of the Q&A.

Rob Decker made an interesting comment at Coastermania. He stated that they saw something at IAAPA last year which caused Cedar Fair to purchase one on the spot.

I don't recall that Rob said which year of IAAPA it was.

I also believe what he said was that a company came to them with a proposal that was so good they "pulled out the checkbooks" (which is probably a slightly euphemistic phrase in and of itself).

Rob didn't give any indication as to which park it's for, what year it was purchased in, what company the attraction is made by, or what park it's going to. However, it was strongly implied that it's not something that's just an off-the-shelf model the company was showing on the floor. This was a custom idea. With that in mind, it's pretty much impossible to speculate on any details -- yeah, I know, you're all going to try anyway.

I agree with Bill. Just because someone has said they saw RMC people there doesn't mean they actually did. But even if there have been doesnt mean the next coaster will be RMC or even anytime soon. Same goes for Silverwood. But even if it was what makes you think the number of projects limits them? Any RMC projects currently in progress were obviously finished as far design goes well before actual work started. Hurler at the very least has been in the works for several years. RMC like most companies contracts other companies to build a lot of their installations so manpower isn't an issue. And I'm pretty sure there are different design teams for woodie conversions, ground up woodies and even for the steelies. Conversions probably take the longest to figure out and those are both underway so the design is finished freeing up that team to begin the next one. As for the steelies they've been working on that for several years. Pretty sure that design is complete as well. We just don't know. I like to speculate and sometimes say I'm pretty darn certain. But even I have never said anything as fact. I'm pretty sure Knott's is getting a Raptor/T-Rex but I wouldn't stake money on it. Would you stake money on yours?

Where are they going to find the space for a T-Rex? Boomerang sits on a really small plot of land. On the other hand the Raptor has awful capacity

You are forgetting Rip Tide. Both rides sat on a plot of land about the same size as Xcelerator. And Xcelerator dosent use a good portion of that space. Wrap the ride around Sky Tower and/or go over the lagoon and add even more space. From the renderings TRex and Raptor look very compact for their size.

^

With all that space, they have enough room to put in a T-Rex coaster. Heck, they could possibly cram a Raptor in Boomerang's old spot alone. Besides, if a T-Rex or Raptor RMC is what Knott's is getting next year, I'm 100% sure they've already found a way to fit it in.

Want to clear this up a little bit from my memory of the Q&A.

Rob Decker made an interesting comment at Coastermania. He stated that they saw something at IAAPA last year which caused Cedar Fair to purchase one on the spot.

I don't recall that Rob said which year of IAAPA it was.

I also believe what he said was that a company came to them with a proposal that was so good they "pulled out the checkbooks" (which is probably a slightly euphemistic phrase in and of itself).

Rob didn't give any indication as to which park it's for, what year it was purchased in, what company the attraction is made by, or what park it's going to. However, it was strongly implied that it's not something that's just an off-the-shelf model the company was showing on the floor. This was a custom idea. With that in mind, it's pretty much impossible to speculate on any details -- yeah, I know, you're all going to try anyway.

What are the odds he was just talking about a lunch consisting of Beaver Tails? From what I've heard, they're the Cinnamon Bread of IAAPA. And it would also send us into the frenzy we're currently in.

^

With all that space, they have enough room to put in a T-Rex coaster. Heck, they could possibly cram a Raptor in Boomerang's old spot alone. Besides, if a T-Rex or Raptor RMC is what Knott's is getting next year, I'm 100% sure they've already found a way to fit it in.

Coral is Xcelerator's footprint. It is approximately 435 feet by 195 feet or about 85,000 square feet (I rounded up).

Yellow is roughly Boom and Rip's old footprint. It is approximately 420 feet by 145 feet or about 61,000 square feet.

Light blue is probably the max room they have to work with. It is approximately 540 feet by 245 feet at the two widest points of the "L". I'm not going to figure out the square footage.

To compare, Silver Bullet sits on a fat roughly "L" shaped piece of ground that's about by 515 feet by 405 feet at the two widest points of the "L".

I'm therefore not concerned about them fitting a decent sized ride in that area.

559471456_KnottsGiga2.thumb.jpg.41a52321f56f823a09dd119565d94a60.jpg