TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

I had the strangest dream last night: Kings Island announced a spinning coaster for 2018 and there was outrage everywhere on the internet. Bill even commented "welp, so much for Intamin".

Ironically, this dream is probably one of the most realistic predictions so far. At least the outrage is 100% garunteed no matter what is actually added!

I swear people take this stuff way too seriously. A little speculation and guessing is always fun, but it should stay that way...fun. Once people start adding "sources" and tearing down someone's guess as though they're some expert, we end up here.

Edit: Disregard my original post on this. I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but I found it.

To be fair though, threads like this one and the Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread were generally always more fact-based discussions than fanboy speculation. Since that last conference call this one has totally gone off the deep end so I see why there's some push-back from people wanting facts and sources, but overall I agree with your statement.

It's always possible that Valleyfair gets the Boomerang from Knotts and Great America gets Steel Venom from Valleyfair

Replacing a 14 year old Intamin that runs great with a 27 year old Vekoma ? Possible? Yes. Probable? Highly doubtful and would be one of the stupidest idea's that CF could ever execute.

I was thinking about comments people have made about the fact that there are so many 2018 coasters with Cedar Fair purchasing 2 RMC coasters how much is left for an expensive coaster at Knott's. I believe we are looking at the expenses wrong for Mean Streak. Construction started in 2016 so depositis and initial funding are rolled into the last fiscal year this might be why the only 2017 coaster at a Cedar Fair park was Mystic Timbers. Basiclly I believe overall there is a lot more money in the 2018 coaster budget then some people might be expecting.

I was thinking about comments people have made about the fact that there are so many 2018 coasters with Cedar Fair purchasing 2 RMC coasters how much is left for an expensive coaster at Knott's. I believe we are looking at the expenses wrong for Mean Streak. Construction started in 2016 so depositis and initial funding are rolled into the last fiscal year this might be why the only 2017 coaster at a Cedar Fair park was Mystic Timbers. Basiclly I believe overall there is a lot more money in the 2018 coaster budget then some people might be expecting.

With the amount of space Knott's has to work their coaster won't be expensive regardless.

With the amount of space Knott's has to work their coaster won't be expensive regardless.

Depends on what you consider expensive. Xcelerator sits on a plot of land about 470' by 180' and cost $20 million. Boom and Riptide were on a plot of land about 450' by 150'.

BTW, it's interesting to note that the entire ride section of the park is only 1,575' by 1,240'. Some hypers take up more room than that.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

On the contrary, it often costs more to build in a smaller space with lots of existing development around it. How much more time do you think it would take to finagle coaster pieces through a crowded park like a game of Tetris compared to just building something in an open field? More time and effort also has to be taken when building the foundations for the thing to ensure that existing stuff isn't disturbed or negatively impacted by the new construction.

With Knott's it's not too bad because the area around The Boardwalk is pretty open, but imagine what it's like for Gröna Lund or Tivoli Gardens.

/\ and you have to have the company custom design the thing rather than simply purchasing an off-the-shelf parking lot coaster. Plus Xcelerator sits on about half an acre and cost $20million. Granted it it was a prototype but still.

By the way, how do you guys make that little arrow thingy?

^ Two things. 1, Accelerator is not on half an acre. It sits on at least 5 if not 10 acres of land. Secondly, to make the ^, look ubove your 6. If it is not there, then I guess you will have to make a V and turn it the other way around. Alternatively hack into your computer system and find the American Standard Code For Information Interchange code for the ^ symbol, which seems to be 94 if I remember correctly. Alternatively, /\ works fine for me, and we all know what you mean.

Edited by Henry M

By the way, how do you guys make that little arrow thingy?

to make the ^, look ubove your 6. If it is not there, then I guess you will have to make a V and turn it the other way around. Alternatively hack into your computer system and find the American Standard Code For Information Interchange code for the ^ symbol, which seems to be 94 if I remember correctly. Alternatively, /\ works fine for me, and we all know what you mean.

^ Two things. 1, Accelerator id not on half an acre. It sits on at least 5 if not 10 acres of land. Secondly, to make the ^, look ubove your 6. If it is not there, then I guess you will have to make a V and turn it the other way around. Alternatively hack into your computer system and find the American Standard Code For Information Interchange code for the ^ symbol, which seems to be 94 if I remember correctly. Alternatively, /\ works fine for me, and we all know what you mean.

raw

/\ By that logic, I can fit the ride on my garden, which would be awesome, but impossible. The queue itself would take up a lot of space, then add on plaza around the ride, buildings and the actual coaster, I do not think it can fit on one acre. Unless the stats of my garden are wrong. (I live in the middle of nowhere, so land is cheap).

/\ By that logic.

I didn't use any logic, I simply went to Google Earth, drew a polygon around the outline of Xcelerator, then had Google Earth tell me the area of that polygon. I'm FAR more inclined to trust Google Earth's measured size of the ride's footprint than your "feelings" regarding how big you think the ride should be.

I neither know nor care what the size of your garden is. I also fail to see how the size of your garden has anything what-so-ever to do with the size of the footprint of Xcelerator.

Edited by Steely Dan

/\ By that logic.

I didn't use any logic, I simply went to Google Earth, drew a polygon around the outline of Accelerator, then had Google earth tell me the area of that polygon. I'm FAR more inclined to trust Google Earth's measured size of the ride's footprint than your "feelings" regarding how big the you think the ride should be.

I neither know nor care what the size of your garden is. I also fail to see how the size of your garden has anything what-so-ever to do with the size of the footprint of Accelerator.

You can't argue with the actual footprint of the ride, it's not an opinion.

Yeah sorry. I had my numbers backward. I looked at my pad and switched them up. Oops.

An acre is 43,500 square feet. Xcelerator sits on around 81,000 square feet. By comparison Boomerang and Rip Tide sat on about 60,000 square feet.

Oh and Xcelerator's queue is all tucked neatly inside the ride's footprint. A lot of rides are this way now as well.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

/\ Ok. So we are getting somewhere now. It is about 2 acres, which I can believe if the ride was long and thin, and the queue is inside the foot print, both of the things it is, so 2 acres sound correct. 0.5 acres on the other hand is not.