TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

They have never had a relationship with Gerstlauer. One flat ride in their history is not a relatstionship. It will not be a Gerstlauer coaster. And seven years is an eternity in the amusement park business.

Buying a ride last year IS a relationship, wtf are you talking about? Not saying any of the coasters will be Gerst, but you can't so sure of yourself... You don't know anything.

They have never had a relationship with Gerstlauer. One flat ride in their history is not a relatstionship. It will not be a Gerstlauer coaster. And seven years is an eternity in the amusement park business.

As well as Spinning Dragons and Timberland Twister (now Fairly Odd Coaster).

Nickelodeon Universe has never had any association with Cedar Fair though

I never said they did. They operated Knott's Camp Snoopy at Mall of America up until 2006.

It's probably Intamin. I feel like his quote was not one he'd just make about anyone. Rather, a company that has built some pretty iconic rides for CF. Otherwise why really make that quote at all? I think it was made to build some excitement. A new Intamin would be exciting.

Even something like a refurbished Kanonen would be quite a catch for CGA.

Edited by Manic Monte

I never said they did. They operated Knott's Camp Snoopy at Mall of America up until 2006.

Have a source on that? As far as I can tell MOA shared licensing with Knott's Berry Farm in 1992 (Neither KBF or MOA was owned/operated by CF at this time). In 1997 Cear Fair bought Knott's Berry Farm and used the Knott's name at several SoCal waterparks. They also acquired Peanuts licensing in 1997 with this purchase. Then when the licensing (for MOA) was up for renewal in 2006, Cedar Fair chose not to let MOA keep the Peanuts or Knott's branding, so they re-branded everything. But I don't see CF having any operation/ownership of MOA from 92-97 or 97-06.

Have a source on that? As far as I can tell MOA shared licensing with Knott's Berry Farm in 1992 (Neither KBF or MOA was owned/operated by CF at this time). In 1997 Cear Fair bought Knott's Berry Farm and used the Knott's name at several SoCal waterparks. They also acquired Peanuts licensing in 1997 with this purchase. Then when the licensing (for MOA) was up for renewal in 2006, Cedar Fair chose not to let MOA keep the Peanuts or Knott's branding, so they re-branded everything. But I don't see CF having any operation/ownership of MOA from 92-97 or 97-06.

https://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/cedar-fair-entertains-126-million-guests-loses-camp-snoopy-contract/2

https://books.google.com/books?id=_MoQ_QQ-3_QC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=cedar+fair+mall+of+america&source=bl&ots=tZ8wjmxa90&sig=HeB5PW_h4TD02rEgzBamnvkbqyI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicyanp_-3TAhUU4GMKHUqcD_4Q6AEIiwEwEQ#v=onepage&q=cedar%20fair%20mall%20of%20america&f=false

^So it feels similar to how Gilroy Gardens is technically a Cedar Fair park and when CF bought KBF, apparently KCS came along with it. And when CF dumped KCS, (shortly before the Paramount Purchase), they took the Peanuts rights with them, and Nickelodeon bought the park some time later.

Locals are still very upset that CF didn't renew the contract, but are still glad that a park exists. Sorry, Geauga Lake fans.

Okay, two Gerstlauers in the past 15 years, most recently in 2007 which is pretty much ancient history in terms of amusement parks years and I guess makes a relationship. But we all know the only CF parks getting coasters in 2018 are: CP, KD, KBF and CGA. The first two are getting RMC conversions, Knott's is removing Boom and footing markers have been seen at Great America. I think it is safe to assume that Knott's is getting the new type of coaster while CGA gets the renewed relationship. Maybe that's Gerstlauer maybe it's Intamin maybe it's Chance, not that it matters. The point is that Knotts has a history of unique rides. I don't see any other CF park not named Cedar Point going to have the distinction of getting a "the first of its kind" type of ride. And no Gerstlauer, Intamin, B&M, Chance or Mack is going to qualify. I think it's clear that Knott's is getting an RMC Raptor/TRex.

I'm not convinced that California's Great America OR Knott's is getting a coaster next year. I wouldn't count Worlds of Fun or Canada's Wonderland out just yet.

You don't start mapping out footings if you aren't planning something but maybe planning is all they are doing at this point. I'll give you that CGA is not so certain, but Knott's is. You do not remove a fairly popular coaster prior to the summer rush if you aren't planning on replacing it quickly. Despite all of it's problems Boomerang was very popular in the summer, at least every time I was there. It takes about a year to construct the average steel coaster. Removing Boom at the end of April 2017 makes it pretty clear they are hoping to have it's replacement open by June or July of 2018. It makes zero sense at all otherwise. As for an RMC Raptor/T-Rex you are correct in that it's not so clear, but it makes the most sense. Ouimet said one of the four (two of which are RMC woodie conversions so that leaves only two others) will be a completely new type of ride. I think it is clear that he does not mean new to North America or new to the US or even simply new to Cedar Fair or new to the West Coast/California, but rather new to roller coasters in general. The only coaster that is a completely new type that has been reported is the Raptor/T-Rex. Unless B&M is building a dive wing coaster I don't what else it could be.

I'm not convinced that California's Great America OR Knott's is getting a coaster next year. I wouldn't count Worlds of Fun or Canada's Wonderland out just yet.

Yeah Knotts could just as easily add a flower garden where Boomerang was.

Okay, two Gerstlauers in the past 15 years, most recently in 2007 which is pretty much ancient history in terms of amusement parks years and I guess makes a relationship. But we all know the only CF parks getting coasters in 2018 are: CP, KD, KBF and CGA. The first two are getting RMC conversions, Knott's is removing Boom and footing markers have been seen at Great America. I think it is safe to assume that Knott's is getting the new type of coaster while CGA gets the renewed relationship. Maybe that's Gerstlauer maybe it's Intamin maybe it's Chance, not that it matters. The point is that Knotts has a history of unique rides. I don't see any other CF park not named Cedar Point going to have the distinction of getting a "the first of its kind" type of ride. And no Gerstlauer, Intamin, B&M, Chance or Mack is going to qualify. I think it's clear that Knott's is getting an RMC Raptor/TRex.

My thoughts exactly.

However, I could also see Canada's Wonderland getting the prototype ride.

The park removed their TOGO stand-up a few years ago, announcing that they were making room for a "large construction project", and there's been more land clearing/activity in that area of the park.

Combine that with the fact Wonderland's been used as a "test park" for Cedar Fair, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the RMC raptor/T-Rex head to Knott's or Canada's Wonderland.

You don't start mapping out footings if you aren't planning something but maybe planning is all they are doing at this point. I'll give you that CGA is not so certain, but Knott's is. You do not remove a fairly popular coaster prior to the summer rush if you aren't planning on replacing it quickly. Despite all of it's problems Boomerang was very popular in the summer, at least every time I was there. It takes about a year to construct the average steel coaster. Removing Boom at the end of April 2017 makes it pretty clear they are hoping to have it's replacement open by June or July of 2018. It makes zero sense at all otherwise. As for an RMC Raptor/T-Rex you are correct in that it's not so clear, but it makes the most sense. Ouimet said one of the four (two of which are RMC woodie conversions so that leaves only two others) will be a completely new type of ride. I think it is clear that he does not mean new to North America or new to the US or even simply new to Cedar Fair or new to the West Coast/California, but rather new to roller coasters in general. The only coaster that is a completely new type that has been reported is the Raptor/T-Rex. Unless B&M is building a dive wing coaster I don't what else it could be.

They could be replacing Boomerang with flat rides, you never know! I think a pack of four crazy flat rides would fit into the boardwalk a lot better than a coaster.

As for CGA, markings don't mean anything. WOF had markings and flags placed for their new Troika in April of last year.

Yeah replace a popular rollercoaster with flat rides, that makes total sense. And I dont get your point about the troika. They aren't building flat rides at CGA or Knotts.

In addition to this, another reason I am inclined to believe Knott's is adding a coaster next year is the early removal of Boomerang. I don't see why they would remove a popular roller coaster so early in the year--several weeks before the crowds pour in for the summer season. I guess anything is possible at this point with so many unknowns, but this along with CGA's survey markers (again, it's only May) leads me to believe that the two California parks will get the other two roller coasters in addition to Cedar Point and Kings Dominion for 2018.

Simply put, parks like Knott's and CGA are showing signs of large additions next year while other parks such as Worlds of Fun and Canada's Wonderland are not.

My thoughts exactly.

The park removed their TOGO stand-up a few years ago, announcing that they were making room for a "large construction project", and there's been more land clearing/activity in that area of the park.

Combine that with the fact Wonderland's been used as a "test park" for Cedar Fair, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the RMC raptor/T-Rex head to Knott's or Canada's Wonderland.

I agree, except that CW didn't start removing a fairly popular coaster in April before the summer rush hits. Knott's is getting a coaster in 2018. That much is sure.

My thoughts exactly.

I agree, except that CW didn't start removing a fairly popular coaster in April before the summer rush hits. Knott's is getting a coaster in 2018. That much is sure.

Wow, you're so confident in all of your predictions. I think we have an insider on our hands.

Did anyone see the thread subtitle? Geez. I agree completely with Bill. So far he has been the only one with a realistic analyzation and prediction without stretching a single bound what we have been given. Otherwise, ninety percent of the last several pages have been filled with posts attempting to support a prediction based on the given information that has been skewed in such a way that it best fits yours and only yours perfect dream.

Seriously. We have plans for CGA that show an Intamin impulse coaster in the exact spot where markers are today and confirmation from a conference call that CGA has begun said twenty-year plan and (some of) you guys still vehemently disregard and deny that information.

Like Bill also said, the information released concerning the other three rides is too ambiguous to conclude anything about (except we can appropriately deduct two of them are likely RMC Mean Streak and RMC Hurler) but still there has been rampant speculation over the last. Speculation is fun and all but it's pointless to uphold your prediction like some god-given doctrine at this point.

That's just my two cents. I want to come and enjoy this thread to learn more credible information about these four roller coasters but can't when most of it is Dippin-Dots level stuff.