TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

I'm probably dead wrong (as usual), but when I hear "deepening the pool" I'm not sensing Intamin, but rather Mack or Gerstlauer. There are several of their coasters that have yet to make it to the US, including the Gerstlauer Infinity, Mack Big Dipper, Powersplash and Launched spinning coaster.

I remember watching the POV of Gold Rush in the Netherlands and thinking what a perfect ride that would be for a park like CGA. I'm not sure an Impulse coaster in 2017/2018 would have as much impact.

Edited by Manic Monte

Knott's does not need another low capacity coaster. Raptor has 8 person trains. Euro-fighters also have 8 person trains and most of them seem to have a capacity of less than 800 riders per hour. That's too low.

Well then just make the Raptors duel, put the Windjammer name to a good effect, and all the capacity problems are solved.

I'm probably dead wrong (as usual), but when I hear "deepening the pool" I'm not sensing Intamin, but rather Mack or Gerstlauer. There are several of their coasters that have yet to make it to the US, including the Gerstlauer Infinity, Mack Big Dipper, Powersplash and Launched spinning coaster.
Mack was the first manufacturer to come to mind that would deepen the pool, but the quote also mentions that it would be someone they've worked with recently.

Those notions seem to contradict each other.

I wish CF would buy Wild Waves already. The park has so much potential.

The park has a 75t Height Limit, Is on 70 acres, and according to Six Flags 2006 Reports- Has less than 5 million people within 100 miles. Where's the Potential?

100 miles? What an arbitrary distance. Within 170 miles you hit both Portland and Vancouver. That's another 5 million.

Well then just make the Raptors duel, put the Windjammer name to a good effect, and all the capacity problems are solved.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Knott's does not need another low capacity coaster. Raptor has 8 person trains. Euro-fighters also have 8 person trains and most of them seem to have a capacity of less than 800 riders per hour. That's too low.

How many rides do they have that exceed 800 pph? Silver Bullet, and maybe Ghostrider on a good day? That hasn't stopped them from putting in lower capacity rides even in recent history.

That'd be awesome actually

As far as the question about the manufacturer that they are returning to, what about Chance Rides? After all they did work with Chance (Morgan at the time) on the three hyper coasters. Those Hyper GTX's that they are selling now are very good for the price and have potential capacity similar to that of a RMC.

I was thinking Zamperla myself as a lot of the Planet Snoppy rides and Disk-Os are from them and they do make coasters that are not Volares such as Thunderbolt at Coney Island. That was really the manufacturer that came to mind instantly when they said they bought from them before and wanted to add them to their coaster manufacturer list. Unless Larson or Mondial has started making coasters, Zamperla seems to be my main choice.

Infinity coaster trains are not limited to only 8 persons. They can be anywhere between 2 and 8 cars long. The vertical lift can accommodate trains as long as 4 cars. (source: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/infinity-coaster/) Just because we haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

The park has a 75t Height Limit, Is on 70 acres, and according to Six Flags 2006 Reports- Has less than 5 million people within 100 miles. Where's the Potential?

100 miles? What an arbitrary distance. Within 170 miles you hit both Portland and Vancouver. That's another 5 million.

It's still a small park with a low height limit

This is fantastic news all around. I think Coasterbill said it perfectly a few pages back. Cedar Point and Kings Dominion are obviously getting the RMCs, CGA is likely getting the Intamin Impulse ("renewed relationship" coaster), leaving the "brand new coaster type" to presumable Knott's. I can't wait to see what happens, but it's pretty difficult to speculate with so much up in the air. However, I feel like this eliminates B&M... unless B&M introduces a brand new coaster type.

It would be great if Cedar Fair introduced large new coasters to both CGA and Knott's in 2018. That would be a great one-two punch for visiting the state. Sorta like 2013 when we got the Boardwalk, Full Throttle, and Gold Striker. Definitely keeping my eye on this! Such great news.

Mack was the first manufacturer to come to mind that would deepen the pool, but the quote also mentions that it would be someone they've worked with recently.

Those notions seem to contradict each other.

Actually, not at all. They have recently worked with both be it flat ride or coaster. But the quote also didn't put a specific time frame on when they last worked with the undisclosed company.

It's still a small park with a low height limit

170 miles is a lot more than 100 miles. It's also over 3 hours away from Vancouver and almost 3 from Portland - which is out of day-trip range imo. It's too far out to be in market for wild waves.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Knott's needs another people eater and if they aren't going with B&M, then I hope whatever coaster they get has 20 person trains at a minimum. Knott's need to make a big statement with Star Wars land coming in 2019, and the Raptor concept just doesn't do that. However, if they go with a T-Rex coaster with the standard 24 person RMC trains, then I could see that being a huge statement coaster for the park. The Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster would be another interesting choice as long as they got 24 or 32 person trains.

I feel like we could see B&M as the renewed relationship. Very strictly speaking since we didn't get a coaster from them last year bringing them back would constituents a "renewed relationship". Also, their work on Patriot would fit as recent history with CF. It would make a lot of sense having B&M on a project, especially since theyve done great work for CF in the past.

Personally, I think seeing a hyper at CGA and something brand new at Knotts wouldn't be too crazy. While CF doesn't have an unlimited budget, the hyper at CGA would be a great way to kick off the master plan, and as the only attraction we've seen consistently through all plan documents it wouldn't be too crazy. Plus after taking a look at the area myself and checking the position of the possible impulse coaster they just don't quite line up. We've only seen markers in the invertigarden and when you look at the plan document, the impulse would never even cross though it but instead right behind it and through a building and the 3-point basketball game that exist there already. It would make more sense to see a station for a hyper, maybe even following a layout that has nothing to do with the picture itself. Call me crazy but I just can't see the park putting in an impulse, especially in that spot.

As for Knotts I'd love to see a brand new type of coaster. It would be a great addition for a park with quite a few unique attractions. A raptor would certainly be a cool ride to add, although as mentioned we could see problems as far as capacity. No matter what happens the future is definitely looking bright for CF

EDIT: I meant we didn't get a B&M this year, whoops

Edited by AfrosaurusWrecks

California's Great America is getting Six Flags Great America's Vertical Velocity.

Can't you see?

Personally, I think seeing a hyper at CGA and something brand new at Knotts wouldn't be too crazy. While CF doesn't have an unlimited budget, the hyper at CGA would be a great way to kick off the master plan, and as the only attraction we've seen consistently through all plan documents it wouldn't be too crazy.

For 2018 that's beyond crazy. For 2019 it's highly possible if they don't get a coaster in 2018.

I'm thinking the two unaccounted for coasters go to Michigan and Pennsylvania.

So no coaster for Knott's then?

Infinity coaster trains are not limited to only 8 persons. They can be anywhere between 2 and 8 cars long. The vertical lift can accommodate trains as long as 4 cars. (source: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/infinity-coaster/) Just because we haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it can't be done.

I'm not talking about an Infinity coaster. I was using a standard 8 seat euro-fighter as an example of the capacity that an 8 seat RMC Raptor would have.

How many rides do they have that exceed 800 pph? Silver Bullet, and maybe Ghostrider on a good day? That hasn't stopped them from putting in lower capacity rides even in recent history.

Xcelerator, Silver Bullet and Montezooma's Revenge are all 1,300 plus riders an hour. GhostRider and Jaguar! are both 1,600 plus. Even Coast Rider, Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express are in excess of 900 an hour. But Boomerang was 760 riders an hour. Whatever replaces it needs to be in excess of 1,000 riders an hour. An RMC Raptor or a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter don't do that.

^Going off stats on RCDB isn't accurate at all. Hardly any coaster (unless you're at Cedar Point) reaches its theoretical capacity. The only coaster at Knott's that MIGHT go above 1000 people per hour is Silver Bullet on a good day with good operations. Every other ride is 800 or below, and rides like Xcelerator, Pony Express, and Sierra Sidewinder may only hit about 500 or even less.

But back on topic since this isn't the Knott's thread, since there seems to be 4 coasters confirmed for 2018, I assume a conversion of the Carowinds Vortex won't come until 2019? Unless it's also coming next year, but not considered a new coaster. This is still super exciting news.

^Going off stats on RCDB isn't accurate at all. Hardly any coaster (unless you're at Cedar Point) reaches its theoretical capacity. The only coaster at Knott's that MIGHT go above 1000 people per hour is Silver Bullet on a good day with good operations. Every other ride is 800 or below, and rides like Xcelerator, Pony Express, and Sierra Sidewinder may only hit about 500 or even less.

I didn't get them off RCDB or Ultimate Rollercoasters or even Wikipedia. Those are the numbers stated by the manufacturer as the ride is designed. Of course the actual numbers are always lower. Therefore I want a ride designed to do 1,300 and hour not 760.

Edited by WestCoasterKing