TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Is the sports complex being entirely funded/developed/operated by Cedar Fair or is that a joint venture of some type? I haven't heard much about that project since it was announced.

I know they're footing a major portion of the bill but I'm not entirely sure. That's a question for someone like DirkFunk who knows way more about this type of thing than I do.

I don't know the specifics of who owns what, but Sports Force is building and (to my knowledge) operating the facility while Cedar Fair provided them the land to do so by buying the old airport. My guess is that if the Sports Force finds that it isn't working for them, ownership would turn to Cedar Fair and they'd do something-something.

One thing that is important to understand about this move is that it opens the door to Cedar Point extending its season in the Fall by adding in weekdays much as it does now in May. Maybe not full tilt operation, but kinda like a Legoland where it is open more Thursdays and things like that.

I am so looking forward to mobs of teenage sports teams traveling the park in groups of 15 attempting to traverse the midways 10 abreast and then abruptly stopping to chat about what they want to do next without a clue to the world around them.

This will be like Christian Concert Day all season long.

I am so looking forward to mobs of teenage sports teams traveling the park in groups of 15 attempting to traverse the midways 16 abreast and then abruptly stopping to chat about what they want to do next without a clue to the world around them.

This will be like Christian Concert Day all season long.

There, fixed it for ya

Not exactly sure if this is the best place to post this but, I have noticed that it looks like cedar fair has done away with fright lane without skeleton key. Since they haven't released all of their haunt sites yet, I was wondering what the price points for fright lane are now compared to last year. Are they priced to the old regular fright lane? Old fright lane with skeleton key? Or are they somewhere in the middle? Just trying to figure out how much to budget for haunt(WOF) this year.

Not exactly sure if this is the best place to post this but, I have noticed that it looks like cedar fair has done away with fright lane without skeleton key. Since they haven't released all of their haunt sites yet, I was wondering what the price points for fright lane are now compared to last year. Are they priced to the old regular fright lane? Old fright lane with skeleton key? Or are they somewhere in the middle? Just trying to figure out how much to budget for haunt(WOF) this year.

I know WOF is keeping their regular Fright Lane (without Skeleton Key) in 2016, unless plans have changed since my Scare School training last week.

So seems like all announcements are in

Cedar Point: New waterpark name and theme, new slides, hotel expansions and renovations

CW: New water slides and new flat ride Soaring Timbers

Carowinds: New fair section, carolina cobra retheme and new flats

KD: Planet snoopy expansion

DP: New shows,Troika , and bumper cars

WOF: Winterfest and 2 new flats

VF: sky flyer

MIA: 7 new kiddie water slides and kiddie area retheme

Knotts: New waterslides

CGA: Vortex transforms into the Patriot floorless coaster

GL: closing down

KI: Only announced new coaster so far in Mystic Timbers

Please feel free to correct or add if needed

So seems like all announcements are in

Cedar Point: New waterpark name and theme, new slides, hotel expansions and renovations

CW: New water slides and new flat ride Soaring Timbers

Carowinds: New fair section, carolina cobra retheme and new flats

KD: Planet snoopy expansion

DP: New shows,Troika , and bumper cars

WOF: Winterfest and 2 new flats

VF: sky flyer

MIA: 7 new kiddie water slides and kiddie area retheme

Knotts: New waterslides

CGA: Vortex transforms into the Patriot floorless coaster

GL: closing down

KI: Only announced new coaster so far in Mystic Timbers

Please feel free to correct or add if needed

Worlds of Fun is also getting a new front gate/plaza, which is probably the most expensive part of their 2017 investments.

• 2 weeks later...
Attraction wise, 2017 is pretty lacking. But, looking at what Cedar Fair is doing with the hotels and Sports Park, this may be their most expensive year yet. So, I'll give them a pass for 2017 on attractions.

Very true. They know what they're doing with capital, but being me I would rather see more coasters. Nevertheless, Mystic Timbers looks awesome and am exciting to ride. 2018 2019 and beyond..

Attraction wise, 2017 is pretty lacking. But, looking at what Cedar Fair is doing with the hotels and Sports Park, this may be their most expensive year yet. So, I'll give them a pass for 2017 on attractions.

Very true. They know what they're doing with capital, but being me I would rather see more coasters. Nevertheless, Mystic Timbers looks awesome and am exciting to ride. 2018 2019 and beyond..

I know it is not a stretch to say there will be more coasters in 2018 than 2017 for Cedar Fair, but with improving financials at the comapny I really do expect some big announcements for 2018.

^Agreed! Especially since Ouimet has taken over, CF's moves at the various parks all seem to have a "chess match" sort of feel to them, planning-wise. Setting up things piece by piece, before striking for a big move. It does seem like a lot of pieces are setting up at different parks for 2018 to be a big year. I would think we'll see no less than three new coasters in the CF chain, and probably four.

• 1 month later...
Cedar Fair promotes Richard A. Zimmerman to president

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. (NYSE: FUN), the Sandusky-based operator of Cedar Point and 10 other amusement parks, has given chief operating officer Richard A. Zimmerman the additional title of president.

The promotion "is an acknowledgement of the significant role Richard has played in the success of Cedar Fair," said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair's CEO, in a statement.

"He is one of the most talented senior executives I have ever worked with," Ouimet said. "His deep understanding of the industry, our operations and our business model has enabled him to positively impact every meaningful decision we have made over the past five years."

Ouimet said Zimmerman's role as president "will be to bridge strategy into execution – sorting to the things that will have the biggest operational impact and turning good ideas into operational reality."

Zimmerman has 30 years of experience in the leisure and hospitality industry, Cedar Fair said in a news release. He has been Cedar Fair's COO since October 2011.

Prior to entering the amusement park industry, Zimmerman worked for Paramount Communications Inc.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20161028/NEWS/161029816/cedar-fair-promotes-richard-a-zimmerman-to-president

• 6 months later...

http://ir.cedarfair.com/investor-home/default.aspx

Cedar Fair Quarterly Earnings Statement, Confirms 4 new coasters for 2018

Big details:

-California's Great America already has markers showing up for their 2018 addition. Plans should be finalized by beginning of next year.

-First of its kind coaster coming to the chain.

-RMC Mean Streak hinted at, along with RMC Hurler

-Previous Manufacturer is coming back for a project. Plenty of options to choose from (hopefully Intamin).

-Demographic studies completed at 6 of their parks so far and has helped increase satisfaction and attendance at those parks as well.

-No confirmation on what parks will be getting hotels just yet, but at the moment they want to roll out the sports complexes quickly.

It's not posted in the media release, but was discussed in the Conference Call which is connected with that link for the Q1 earnings report.

"completely new type of coaster, a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters and a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we have worked with in recent history that will add another coaster and deepen our pool of ride manufacturers." -From Matt Ouimet

Big details:

-California's Great America already has markers showing up for their 2018 addition. Plans should be finalized by beginning of next year.

-Previous Manufacturer is coming back for a project. Plenty of options to choose from (hopefully Intamin).

-Demographic studies completed at 6 of their parks so far and has helped increase satisfaction and attendance at those parks as well.

-No confirmation on what parks will be getting hotels just yet, but at the moment they want to roll out the sports complexes quickly.

It's not posted in the media release, but was discussed in the Conference Call which is connected with that link for the Q1 earnings report.

"completely new type of coaster, a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters and a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we have worked with in recent history that will add another coaster and deepen our pool of ride manufacturers." -From Matt Ouimet

I hope this means Intamin. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing CF work with Mack more too.

Big details:

I hope this means Intamin. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing CF work with Mack more too.

or Gerstlauer Amusement Rides GmbH . . .