TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

NewsPlusNotes is reporting that 5 of the rides are going to Carowinds while the other 2 are going to Worlds of Fun.

'As well as the main post that prompted this discussion . . .

They have just purchased 7 classic rides from over seas, are are planning on purchasing more. They mentioned that 5 rides are slated for carowinds, and some are going to world's of fun. I find this quite interesting and makes me wonder if the classic rides are better built and require less maintenance costs than the new ones. I also question the choice of parks they are going to. I would think that Michigan's adventure could use a couple of the rides.

Here is the link to the story.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-flat-rides-20160206-story.html

I'm very confused... 7 million dollars??!?!? That better include refurb, transportation and installation. Even then that seems excessive. Most of those rides arnt that rare... Some you can buy brand new! Troikas are rare in the US, but I know with personal experience it doesn't even cost close to half a million to buy, refurb, and install a troika. Just wondering where all the money went. Sounds like they went on one hell of a vacation.

NewsPlusNotes is reporting that 5 of the rides are going to Carowinds while the other 2 are going to Worlds of Fun.

'As well as the main post that prompted this discussion . . .

They have just purchased 7 classic rides from over seas, are are planning on purchasing more. They mentioned that 5 rides are slated for carowinds, and some are going to world's of fun. I find this quite interesting and makes me wonder if the classic rides are better built and require less maintenance costs than the new ones. I also question the choice of parks they are going to. I would think that Michigan's adventure could use a couple of the rides.

Here is the link to the story.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-flat-rides-20160206-story.html

Now we know what the rides are and which park is getting what and when.

I'm very confused... 7 million dollars??!?!? That better include refurb, transportation and installation. Even then that seems excessive. Most of those rides arnt that rare... Some you can buy brand new! Troikas are rare in the US, but I know with personal experience it doesn't even cost close to half a million to buy, refurb, and install a troika. Just wondering where all the money went. Sounds like they went on one hell of a vacation.

It said it averaged out to about $7M per ride. That doesn't mean each ride cost exactly $1M each to buy, refurb, transport, install.

Now we know what the rides are and which park is getting what and when.

Many of us have known this for over 24 hours and have been discussing it in the Carowinds and Worlds of Fun discussion threads.

Some of these rides are no longer manufactured and if they are, the older rides were built better.

It is also a good idea to revisit and read the article about the intent of this project to fully understand what is happening.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1616425#p1616425

Edited by larrygator

I'm curious if they will be serious bidders for the Miracle Strip rides. Many there seem to fit in perfectly with what they were looking for in Europe.

Also, not knowing exactly what all is included in the $7 million figure it doesn't seem all that outrageous if it included all travel cost, purchase of 7 rides, refurbishment of the rides and transportation back to the states. I will assume it doesn't include installation back here stateside.

Here is my dream list of flats to search out:

Bayern Kurve

Tumble Bug (though these are very, very rare)

Double Ferris Wheel

Traver Catepillar (even rarer since they came out in the 20's)

Kangaroo

and the piece de resistance:

Schwabinchen!

With Valravn announced for Cedar Point in 2016, and based on recent trends, here is what I predict for Cedar Fair in 2017...

Below are the new major additions since Cedar Fair acquired the Paramount Parks:

2008 - (CW) Behemoth

2009 - (KI) Diamondback

2010 - (Car) Intimidator

2011 - (KD) I-305

2012 - (CW) Leviathan

2013 - (CGA) Gold striker

2013 - (CP) Gatekeeper (winger)

2014 - (KI) Banshee (invert)

2015 - (Car) Fury 325 (giga)

2016 - (CP) Valravn (diver)

8 out of the last 10 have been large-scale B&Ms. Also, the last 4 have been a record-breaking B&M in a different category. Based on the sequential Paramount park treatment, and the current B&M trend, I predict that King's Dominion ought to receive a record-breaking B&M Flyer in 2017. Any other ideas?

Here is my dream list of flats to search out:

Bayern Kurve

Tumble Bug (though these are very, very rare)

Double Ferris Wheel

Traver Catepillar (even rarer since they came out in the 20's)

Kangaroo

and the piece de resistance:

Schwabinchen!

The old Myrtle Beach Pavillion had a Caterpillar ride when the park closed in 2005 (or was it 2006?). I wonder what ever happened to that one...

With Valravn announced for Cedar Point in 2016, and based on recent trends, here is what I predict for Cedar Fair in 2017...

Below are the new major additions since Cedar Fair acquired the Paramount Parks:

2008 - (CW) Behemoth

2009 - (KI) Diamondback

2010 - (Car) Intimidator

2011 - (KD) I-305

2012 - (CW) Leviathan

8 out of the last 10 have been large-scale B&Ms. Also, the last 4 have been a record-breaking B&M in a different category. Based on the sequential Paramount park treatment, and the current B&M trend, I predict that King's Dominion ought to receive a record-breaking B&M Flyer in 2017. Any other ideas?

i don´t see anything recording breaking coming to the park rides-wise, but I´m sure KD will break other records next year, including:

1. Most butt hurt fanbase

2. Most toxic TPR thread

3. Least amount of people in line for a giga coaster at one time

4. Most singing mushrooms

(I´m kidding, of course)

Love seeing these classic flats getting new lives here in the U.S. I do wonder why they aren't spreading them out a bit more instead of just sending them to two parks. I am especially excited for the Huss Condor as I think there are only 2 or 3 currently operating here. We rode the "Flying Falcon" at Hersheypark last summer and it was tons of fun, so I think the WOF crowd is really going to enjoy it.

2008 - (CW) Behemoth

2009 - (KI) Diamondback

2010 - (Car) Intimidator

2011 - (KD) I-305

2012 - (CW) Leviathan

Both Intimidators opened in 2010.

Prowler opened in 2009.

So this appears to be heading into a KD thread so I may as well add my addition. I am almost certain Kingsdominion wont add a Flying coaster. Busch Gardens would be a much better place for one! For Kingsdominion though, I see an Intamin hyper coaster, and here's why. 1) There is (the best B&M Hyper) only 1:30 away and I don't see KD trying to compete on that level. 2) Before yall say "Intamin is a day of the past" Pat Jones does not dislike Intamin and more than all likes Intamin. Yes Intamin has had its problems lately but I think the park realizes the 2 most popular rides in the park are their two Intamin coasters (Volcano, I305). 3) it makes sense, no other Cedar park has an intamin hyper, I find them more probable to compete against Six Flags before Sea World so maybe we could see the best intamin hyper? Where's it ganna go? In the section of hurler and ricoshet* (dnt know how to spell it of my head) in that far area down, they could open that up so that some of the parks population can be herded to that area of the park( So everyone isn't staggered in the safari village). Also in the same year (2017) I see Hurler getting some extensive work done such as a new topper track, new chasis or replace topper track with steel (NOT IRON HORSE) and use rmc trains. Alot of money in one year, if not all in 2017 I see the hurler makeover in 2018-2019

They ought to be watching Conneaut Lake very closely. That Tumble Bug would make a great addition, hopefully to Cedar Point. However, the classic rides they do have, like the Scrambler, are run too slowly for my taste. Ride Cedar Point's Scrambler then go ride the one at Waldameer. The difference will amaze you.

So this appears to be heading into a KD thread so I may as well add my addition. I am almost certain Kingsdominion wont add a Flying coaster. Busch Gardens would be a much better place for one! For Kingsdominion though, I see an Intamin hyper coaster, and here's why. 1) There is (the best B&M Hyper) only 1:30 away and I don't see KD trying to compete on that level. 2) Before yall say "Intamin is a day of the past" Pat Jones does not dislike Intamin and more than all likes Intamin. Yes Intamin has had its problems lately but I think the park realizes the 2 most popular rides in the park are their two Intamin coasters (Volcano, I305). 3) it makes sense, no other Cedar park has an intamin hyper, I find them more probable to compete against Six Flags before Sea World so maybe we could see the best intamin hyper? Where's it ganna go? In the section of hurler and ricoshet* (dnt know how to spell it of my head) in that far area down, they could open that up so that some of the parks population can be herded to that area of the park( So everyone isn't staggered in the safari village). Also in the same year (2017) I see Hurler getting some extensive work done such as a new topper track, new chasis or replace topper track with steel (NOT IRON HORSE) and use rmc trains. Alot of money in one year, if not all in 2017 I see the hurler makeover in 2018-2019

It's funny when people say Cedar Fair is done with Intamin's. This could not be further from the truth. I know first hand that Cedar Fair is still considering Intamin's for many of their parks.

2008 - (CW) Behemoth

2009 - (KI) Diamondback

2010 - (Car) Intimidator

2011 - (KD) I-305

2012 - (CW) Leviathan

i don´t see anything recording breaking coming to the park rides-wise, but I´m sure KD will break other records next year, including:

1. Most butt hurt fanbase

2. Most toxic TPR thread

3. Least amount of people in line for a giga coaster at one time

4. Most singing mushrooms

(I´m kidding, of course)

This made me laugh way harder than it should have lol

It's funny when people say Cedar Fair is done with Intamin's. This could not be further from the truth. I know first hand that Cedar Fair is still considering Intamin's for many of their parks.

What makes you so sure of that?

Are they considering them? Yes, they will consider most major manufacturers before building anything. But will they be doing much business with them until they can prove that they've turned things around? Probably not.

While B&M is more expensive, all of the major attractions that they've built for CF over the last few years have been just as popular as Intamins and have had little to no downtime. For them, the extra cost is probably worth the less headaches they will have to deal with. CF is not going to keep dropping big money on Intamin if their products cannot be reliable over the course of years. And this is coming from someone whose favorite manufacturer is Intamin and wishes that every park would build them.

Hopefully Intamin can turn around their reputation with their large projects in Europe, and some of the smaller ones in America.