TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

To be honest, I have never been on (against?) a Rotor! It used to come along with our annual fair's added rides,

but I never even tried. The whole thing and set up, I guess at my then young age, looked intimidating to me.

And it stayed with me, and now I can hardly find one in the world to try out, heh. I do know there are some out there,

but it's all about timing and such.

First one I find, I promise, I'll ride it!

Here is a cedar fair discussion thread . . . HERE That it can probably go into. But yea, I was posted in the carowinds post.

Dave - thanks for posting, I was wondering what happened on CFs pick.

Thanks Jarvis, I moved Dave's post into he but of course discussions of the additions to Carowinds and Worlds of Fun can also be discussed those threads.

I can't wait to see what comes back from Japan.

No problem.

What sticks out to me is that they are searching HARD for these old rides! The article did mention the older ones are build sooo sound that if you take care of them, they will last forever. I wonder why newer rides aren't as reliable? I also never really thought of japan when I think of flat rides. Guess I need to search to see what type was big there!

No problem.

What sticks out to me is that they are searching HARD for these old rides! The article did mention the older ones are build sooo sound that if you take care of them, they will last forever. I wonder why newer rides aren't as reliable? I also never really thought of japan when I think of flat rides. Guess I need to search to see what type was big there!

Swinging Pirate rides, Rock and Roll (similar to Knoebel's Looper not a Music Express) and Big Wheels are popular rides in Japan, but if you look you can find practically every classic flat.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-coasters-20150827-story.html
What new coasters are on tap for Cedar Fair parks?

One of the biggest challenges amusement parks face is maintaining aging wooden coasters. In recent years, Idaho-based Rocky Mountain Construction has solved the problem with wooden coaster renovations that turn existing rides into wood-steel hybrids with looping inversions.

“The revitalization or rejuvenation of wooden coasters is probably a card that gets played for the next 10 years,” Ouimet said. “We are obviously looking at our whole portfolio just to decide what we do with it.”

Cedar Fair has more than two dozen wooden coasters in its vast collection from manufacturers like Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters and Great Coasters International, but none of the rides has ever gotten a Rocky Mountain makeover. Cedar Fair has several uncomfortably rough wooden coasters -- including Cedar Point’s Mean Streak -- that have long been prime candidates for renovations.

“The industry has developed some very good, solid players these days,” Ouimet said. “Rocky Mountain is a good example, GCI is a good example. We’ll probably work with all of them before we’re done.”

I reread this article from August, and this section stood out to me. Obviously they have been working with GCI in retracking some of their coasters (GhostRider, Shivering Timbers), but it looks like they've confirmed that they may work with RMC in the future! I even heard that RMC had a bid for the GhostRider project at one point.

What's the earliest that you guys think Cedar Fair will decide to build an RMC? What park do you think would build the first one?

I even heard that RMC had a bid for the GhostRider project at one point.

I read that in the Knott's thread. RMC only bidded to do the engineering work, and not include a RMC style track. They lost out to GCI because their bid was only for the engineering work and not the actual construction work since they are already stretched out for this year. GCI bid included both, engineering and construction, therefore they won.

Also worth noting from the article . . .

Jasper hoped to even pick up a sturdy old coaster if found one he liked.

So not only are they looking for flats, they are also considering coasters! What SBNO coasters are in japan that are in good shape???

Loving the new rides for Worlds of Fun. We have one of the most unique flat collections in the chain (if not the country) so a Condor will really add to our already stellar collection. I mean how many parks can say they still have a rotor, Flying Dutchman, or round-up? PLUS some new Flying Scooters and a Troika too? WoF is a great park for classic flat ride lovers.

No problem.

Think of muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's... Same reason why people will pay +$500k for some of the cars from that era... My guess is that they were more "mechanical" than "electrical" in their composition... But the rides from that era are becoming a rare find, hence the urgency in their search....

the same reason for electronics... we live in a consumer based society... if you build something to last forever, you will only every purchase once... if you build something that last for a limited time, eventually you have to purchase another one.

That's why I get frustrated at smart phones, its 2016 but smartphones are essentially built to fail when we have the technology to make the longest lasting of devices.

I wonder if Valley Fair will get any flats? Wild Thing's turnaround would be perfect for a nice ride that can preferably be able to go upside down! They could use a modern ride that goes upside down that doesn't have extremely uncomfortable restraints! RipTide is great but it is always broken down.

We still have a Rotor in Ohio at COSI in Columbus. I rode it back in 2010. I think it's still there.

I had no idea! Duly-noted, thanks!

I was looking at COSI's website, and i'm not seeing it listed, but that doesn't mean it's not there, since it's part of an outside area. I think that outdoor section is closed for the winter. It's obviously an "educational" ride now, since they teach visitors about centrifugal force.

1620374285_ScreenShot2016-02-06at11_23_50PM.thumb.png.041f17fb68cdc40302f310a0b5c71887.png

COSI in 2010

I wonder if Valley Fair will get any flats? Wild Thing's turnaround would be perfect for a nice ride that can preferably be able to go upside down! They could use a modern ride that goes upside down that doesn't have extremely uncomfortable restraints! RipTide is great but it is always broken down.

They may get some from the Japan trip but according to the LA Times only Carowinds and WOF are getting rides from the Europe trip. 7 picked. 5 to Carowinds. 2 to WOF.

Glad to hear of the new purchases and it's great that Carowinds is getting most of them as I felt that park really lacked in the mid-level thrill/family flats when I was there in 2011.

Hoping the Japan trip will bring us an Ultra Twister or two. I would love to try one of them.

This is awesome news! Guess Canadas Wonderland won't be the only CF park in the chain that can brag about their flat ride lineup.

Really hoping the trip to Japan gives them a chance to check out one of those awesome looking Para-Trooper/enterprise type rides that Robb's posted pictures of on his trips to Japan.

NewsPlusNotes is reporting that 5 of the rides are going to Carowinds while the other 2 are going to Worlds of Fun.

Two of Cedar Fair's parks are going to get a slew of classic flat rides installed sooner than later, the L.A. Times reports.

Some time ago the Times featured a story about Cedar Fair officials heading to Europe to find classic used flat rides that would be installed in the company's chain of parks.

That mission, at least the portion taking place in Europe, is over and officials sat down again with the L.A. Times to go over their results.

Many might wonder why the company would be so interested in 30+ year old rides, however the article features quotes from Monty Jasper, Cedar Fair's VP of Safety and Engineering, explaining how many older rides were built with such quality that they will stand the test of time of given the proper maintenance and care.

The team ended up finding a total of seven rides to bring back, one in England, one in Germany, and five from a used rides dealer in Holland, the article reports.

The rides listed include a Mondial Top Scan, a Music Express from Mack, a Zierer Wave Swinger, and from Huss Rides a Condor, Breakdance and two Trokias. All of the rides will undergo a complete refurbishment, including new paint and electrical systems, before being installed in their new homes.

Jasper and his team are planning at trip to Japan in the near future to look for additional rides. The country is filled with older amusement parks that may prove a gold mine for them.

This is all very interesting news, however what is ever better is that the article reveals which parks are receiving the used rides.

Worlds of Fun is said to be opening a Trokia and the Condor attraction for the upcoming season, which is surprising since they already announced a small Planet Snoopy expansion last Fall.

The story is a little less clear on when the remaining five rides will open (perhaps part of a 2017 expansion?), but they are headed to Carowinds. The story says that the ever-growing Southern park will be home to the Breakdance, Trokia, Wave Swinger, Top Scan and Music Express. Carowinds is already home to a great assortment of rides, but with growing crowds due to their large expansions, these new rides will help with overall capacity.

newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2016/02/cedar-fair-picks-up-7-classic-flat.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cedar Fair is really putting all their eggs into one basket at Carowinds.

I'm very angry right now. Cedar Fair claimed that Valley Fair and Carowinds would be big "Growth parks", and Valleyfair got some water slides and is now getting a little kid flat ride, while Carowinds gets Fury 325 last season, and is now getting Carolina Harbor and more. Cedar Point is getting Valravn, which isn't surprising, but ugh. I wish Valley Fair would get a new coaster already, their most recent coaster is Renegade which is from 2006/2007. It's has almost been 10 years and they haven't added much. Route 76 was relocating 2 rides, opening 1 that had just closed, and opening a new ride. Not that that isn't a good expansion, but they are in desperate need of a coaster, along with Michigan's Adventure.