TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legalizing Marijuana

CGA_88

I'm not sure if I would trust that chart though. Everyone is different with drugs. You can't really rate a hallucinogen such as LSD on it's dependancy, for example. It's like putting roller coasters on a dependancy chart. Some people will want to ride it over and over because they like the extreme experience, and some people hate the extreme experience and will never want to ride a roller coaster again.

It is a rather crude chart. I'm sure much of it is up for debate scientifically.

However, by your own admission, there are individuals that use hallucinogens habitually. It is not implausible to display LSD at the lower end of Y-axis on that chart.

LSD "dependence" is clearly nothing like cocaine dependence, but some LSD users might behave as if they are dependent.

If you want to have a real scientific debate, however, the thing to do is not to dismiss the data out of hand. Instead, read through the footnotes of The Lancet article, figure out where their data on LSD comes from, and analyze that paper more carefully. Is it a well-designed study? Etc.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^&^^^ Right. I didn't intend to imply it was a comprehensive, be-all, end-all compilation. I almost said something along those lines in the original post, as there are certainly wide areas of variance. I mean, I'm sure the harmfulness of pot would move around depending on how you take it. Vaporizing is much cleaner and healthier than smoking it, simply by the consumption method. And obviously dependence is on a person-to-person basis as well, and people's individual tolerance.

Sorry if it came off as saying "this is right; trust it". It just provided me with some perspective, and some relative comparisons, so I figured I'd share.

^ Nah, it would be picked up by brands like Swisher and Garcia Vega. I mean pot smokers already keep them in business, Im sure they will cater to their wants!

I'm sure Philip Morris will have their hands in the pot somewhere! Philip Morris IS smoking! Imagine: Marlboro "Green"

For me, it wouldn't bother me if they legalized it. I don't smoke it, but I've seen how it helps people deal with the side effects that their HIV medication gives them. And I definitely deal with a pot smoker better than a drinker!

Terry

I'm fine with it. Never touched the stuff, never will. I just don't like when people use the "Would you want your doctor high while he operates on you?" Approach. If Marijuana became legal TODAY I can all but guarentee there wouldn't be a hike in usage. Making it legally available wouldn't inspire anyone to start doing it that isn't already doing it. It's not like its hard to get your hands on it. Besides, with legalization comes reform and restrictions. Most jobs (competent ones at least) restrict you from comsuming alcohol 8 hours before your next shift. Jobs that would require safety to be a qualification would still drug test. Legalizing it would appease a small demographic of medically inclined patients and stay-at-home couch potatoes. People RIGHT NOW, AT THIS VERY MOMENT are driving city vehicles, public transportation buses, operating amusement rides, bagging your groceries, and cashing anddepositing your checks on some type of drug. Legalizing one more isn't going to make that number and higher tothe point were it would be dangerous....At least no more than it already is.

I have extreme mixed feelings on the matters of legalizing or "decriminalizing" as its said in California right now. I mean it may benefit the mass debt, but do people really need it for recreational use? I mean there are many questions I can ask. Though I look back at the native Americans and how they've used it for many years, they were some of the smartest people this nation has ever seen. I see positive and negative effects and thoughts for this particular drug. Then again I see people falsely acquiring it by getting card for showing medical records.

The only thing I don't like about it is why should you slow yourself down, or make yourself stupid ,for a few hours just to de-stress when the world out there has alot to offer as a de-stresser. Its funny how they also make eatables in this sense like cookies and that's made with butter, which is made from boiling marijuana leaves etc. Which can last in your system for a day or so pending on the fact its made from a stronger strand of it.

Also, for a laugh one of the most odd strands is called a "Pineapple express" yet there is a storm in California or a system called a "pineapple express" which is actually about to hit the state soon.

A benefit I see from such things. If I may interject my own annoyance in this post is it can make clothing thats lighter weight and nicer than cotton, at times. I have a pair of hemp made shoes and necklaces.

The only thing I don't like about it is why should you slow yourself down, or make yourself stupid ,for a few hours just to de-stress when the world out there has alot to offer as a de-stresser.

Um, isn't that what having a nice cocktail and/or drink is all about, when some people come home from a stress-filled day at work, etc.? And there are other activities and ways I agree, that many people do use and take advantage of to help bring their day down to a more calming level. But some people, like myself, don't feel like spending money on a lot of other activities, or leaving the comfort of the home, and having a puff from time to time is nice and easy in it's own way, in my opinion.

And I don't really agree with your statement about "making youself stupid" with such stuff. You're entitled to that opinion, but I must say that on the contrary, the mind can get charged up at times too, with such a 'recreational activity.' The imagination can indeed be influenced by a puff or two. With some good music on the sound system, as well. Better than a drunken stupor, speaking of "stupid," heh heh.

But as we know, a lot of television and/or movies have a way of highly exaggerating things for the sake of either a Big Laugh ("hah hah look at the stoners"), or shock value, which is usually rarer. It happens, and what can you do, except accept the fact that this is not all true, what is being portrayed about such things.

A benefit I see from such things. If I may interject my own annoyance in this post is it can make clothing thats lighter weight and nicer than cotton, at times. I have a pair of hemp made shoes and necklaces.

Hemp rocks! I have a couple of t-shirts and carry bags made of it. And this is an easy example of what additional benefits come from the "evil weed" if legalized... Hemp farms! By the way, from what I have read and heard, the hemp used in such things as clothing, shoes and such isn't even the same strains or type of grass that people smoke. Different varieties. Different uses. Different fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I never touched the stuff until I was diagnosed for having severe panic attacks when under stress.

I had to take anti-depressants as a way to cope with the stress to reduce the chance of a panic attack.

After spending a few months on the meds, I never quite felt right.

Once I discovered I could come home and smoke a bowl, all was ok. It helped me relax and really helped me get a good nights rest.

I've been a staunch advocate against legalizing pot as I was raised in a broken family devastated by heroin users. I never used or abused any kind of drug (except caffine) in my teen years or early twenties. I didn't consume alcoholic beverages until I was twenty-one years of age.

I started dating someone who is/was a hardcore pot smoker last year and peer pressure finally got me.

Pot just makes the real world more tolerable. That's the best that I can put it.

I'm fine with it. Never touched the stuff, never will. I just don't like when people use the "Would you want your doctor high while he operates on you?" Approach.

My response to those people would be "What prevents a doctor from operating on you drunk?"

Alcohol is a legal and more dangerous drug.

And yes I smoke pot quite a bit, but not since as of Nov; I'm trying to get an internship this summer to get a technical certification. Pot has helped me with my social anxiety and clinical depression.

I definitely feel that Marijuana as well as other drugs as I'm also believe you should be able to put whatever you want in your body. While I don't advocate anybody doing any drugs, I don't feel they need to get punished by the government. And while I don't feel wild about paying for their stupidity, I feel that we're paying for many people's stupidity already, why keep it limited. Plus we'd probably just pay for their hospital when they do the drugs anyway.

But that's just my opinion.

Your kidding right........

I punched a kid 20 times. I'll just punch him 70 more times cause... well.... why keep it limited??

The LAST thing I want to do is pay for someone who doesn't work and feels like they are a victim of this country. I don't want to pay for anyone who is using Welfare to buy drugs and booze, and complaining why they cannot get a job.

Like many of these "two sided" subjects: as long as it is controlled, it should be fine. But there are also a mass amount of people who ruins the "tipping point" and messes up the system. (Like those drug heads who are to lazy to work and take money from those who DO work.)

Similar to the thing I disagree with Obama with is 'Spreading the wealth!' I don't want some loser who doesn't work getting my money. Cause then people would quit their jobs since they are getting paid anyways, then businesses would go bankrupted since people aren't there working in them.

-----

As for the drug, sure, legalize it, but I would still keep it hard to get and carefully watched. I doubt people want America to become one big Amsterdamn, (Even though a trip there is amazing) that place is full of wacky people. I do think legalizing it would help the economy and stuff like that.

--James

It's still bad for your lungs. So why do it?

Because it's fun, and the fun you have while being high is worth the slight amount of damage it does to your lungs. I could probably find ten things you do everyday that's bad for you...for example, sitting at the computer screen and posting on TPR is bad for your eyes, and basically the rest of your body because you're probably giving up time that you could spend exercising to be on the computer...So why do it?

There are lots of things in life that are bad for you and I bet you might do some of these:

Drinking alcohol

smoking cigarettes

eating fast food

eating fried food

and if none of those apply to you, I'm sure you masturbate and moms across the world tell their sons to stop doing that before you go blind!

There are lots of things in life that are bad for you and I bet you might do some of these:

Drinking alcohol

smoking cigarettes

eating fast food

eating fried food

and if none of those apply to you, I'm sure you masturbate and moms across the world tell their sons to stop doing that before you go blind!

I don't think he smokes or drinks...If he does, his arguments are worse than I thought! But yes, I'm sure he lives a very unhealthy lifestyle...(most people on TPR probably do haha)

I actually try and do my body some good. I don't eat fast food. I rarely eat Fried food, I don't Drink, I don't Smoke, everyday I run 4 miles, and if I'm not doing the above, I'm usually cleaning or reading a book or something. I'm only on Xbox/Computer/Tv around 2 hours a day.

I actually try and do my body some good. I don't eat fast food. I rarely eat Fried food, I don't Drink, I don't Smoke, everyday I run 4 miles, and if I'm not doing the above, I'm usually cleaning or reading a book or something. I'm only on Xbox/Computer/Tv around 2 hours a day.

So you rarely eat some things that are unhealthy. What about the people who want to smoke maybe on occasions? Like once a month?

...Just trying to open your eyes a little bit.