TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legalizing Marijuana

CGA_88

Despite the arguments against legalizing pot because of the accidents the high people might cause, I think it's legalization is still a good idea.

Making pot legal would really hurt the illegal drug trafficking trade which I think would prevent more deaths than would be created by those under the influence. Think of how many people would switch to marijuana from their current drug of choice because it offers a cheaper high.

Also, the taxes that could be levied on this new crop would be a great help to states hit hard by the recession.

That's not really how it works.. Druggies usually have a drug of choice, and then smoke weed on the side. It's not the kind of drug that someone would choose as their drug of choice.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I question what the effect of legalization would be on the illegal drug market. I have a very hard time believing that instead of dealing drugs Jimmy the Dealer would decide to clean up his act, go to college and become a CPA. What I worry about is that dealers are still going to need a source of income and therefore are going to begin attempting to sell other, more dangerous, drugs. Now to be clear I'm in no way advocating keep it illegal because we need to consider the needs of the drug dealers, but it's just an interesting aspect to consider.

The other point I want to hit is the entire concept of, well alcohol is legal and therefore we should make weed legal. I'm really not a fan of that kind of logic. Can alcohol be dangerous? Yes. Can alcohol be addictive? Yes. Can Alcohol cause accidents when people drive under its influence? Yes. Alright so lets make marijuana legal since it may or may not be as dangerous as alcohol. Should people drive drunk, of course not. However just because people drive drunk and alcohol is legal, doesn't mean we need to go out and make marijuana legal.

The reason why people deal marijuana is usually because they need more friends, they want an easy way to make money, or they need a way to pay for their habbit. When dealing marijuana you generally have to deal with less shady people, however with crack and heroin and that kinda stuff you generally always have to come in contact with really sketchy/dangerous people, so I doubt the small time weed dealers would resort to worse drugs.

Also I agree with that second paragraph. The problem with this thread (And I'm probably gonna stop reading it all together) is there is a low amount of logic and a high amount of ignorance in most of these posters. I feel like people are making false assumptions on marijuana and the type of people who smoke it, and don't know the differences in certain drugs. That being said however, I'm not a hardcore druggie like someone might think after reading that post.

Philrad71 wrote:

...everything else is simply speculation muddled with the typical "fear of change" that most Americans seem to have embedded in their minds.

What?? Have you paid attention to anything that's gone on in America the past few years?

Okay, maybe I should rephrase that......everything else is simply speculation muddled with the typical "fear of change" that a lot of Conservative Americans seem to have embedded in their minds.

There...fixed!

I could give a few examples just by stuff I have read in this thread and conversations I have had with friends, relatives, and co-workers, but I am not a preacher, nor am I going to argue. I have stated my thoughts and opinion on the subject and will let it go at that!

Philrad71 wrote:

...everything else is simply speculation muddled with the typical "fear of change" that most Americans seem to have embedded in their minds.

What?? Have you paid attention to anything that's gone on in America the past few years?

Okay, maybe I should rephrase that......everything else is simply speculation muddled with the typical "fear of change" that a lot of Conservative Americans seem to have embedded in their minds.

There...fixed!

I could give a few examples just by stuff I have read in this thread and conversations I have had with friends, relatives, and co-workers, but I am not a preacher, nor am I going to argue. I have stated my thoughts and opinion on the subject and will let it go at that!

Did you ever take a history class? Do you realize the people who wanted "change" pretty much worshiped and elected a person who is currently in the process of turning America to crap and taking away all our freedoms? I swear you'd fit right in with most people in Germany after WWI. I am completely shocked at how some people don't realize how we are repeating history right now, and their ignorance. You obviously are uneduated about current events, and have no place making political statements...Just like the majority of people my age.

EDIT: Wow you're much much older than me too. I suggest reading a few things about dictators and some history before you go making rediculous statements about conservitives...Meet me for a debate sometime in the chat room or something...I will destroy you with knowledge

^ This is exactly what I didn't want...a flame war.

Let's just drop this at once and say we have a difference of opinion and leave it that peacefully, okay?

It's fine that we agree to disagree, but insulting someone's intelligence because you don't agree with their opinion is simply not a nice thing to do.

^ This is exactly what I didn't want...a flame war.

Let's just drop this at once and say we have a difference of logic and leave it that peacefully, okay?

It's fine that we agree to disagree, but insulting someone's intelligence because you don't agree with their logic is simply not a nice thing to do.

Fixed.

But I agree to disagree with you and I'll leave it at that

And it is true: if anyone did "whatever they want" to their bodies, who's going to pay for the inevitable costs for emergency services, healthcare, cleanup, etc.? Everyone else? Why should I pay for your stupidity?

If you're going strictly on a cost basis, all that is surely cheaper than putting druggies in prison. And you're paying for all that stuff anyway. Go spend some time at your local academic health center if you have any doubt.

Drug prohibition is one of the most massive failures in history. It does not deter and it creates a violent black market.

^^ What ^ said. Besides, in some places its almost legal anyway. I know that in Ann Arbor Michigan its a $25 fine (equivalent to a parking violation) for possession, however I'm not positive on the amount. From what I can tell it doesn't matter about the amount as long as you aren't selling.

If grass gets legalized in any country, then the Government stands the chance of

A) getting rid of major drug cartels and (probable run) gang related "business", like massive illegal grow-ops.

Once it's legal, then the it's kind of dumb to try and make illegal profit off of it. They tried that with cigarettes for years, proably still do in small spots across the continent, but its really a non-issue, after legalization.

and B) Profit, profit profit from taxing those little 20-packs or 10-packs (or however they'd eventually figure out out how to sell it)... exactly like they do with tobacco cigarettes. The profit from taxes alone on such stuff would easily cover (or make great stride$ towards) a few long-neglected (and usually greatly underfunded) social service programs found in Any City, USA. Or Any Town, World.

Misuse by the consumer happens with anything and everything imagineable, from cigarettes to prescription drugs, to foods of various kinds, types and portions. And let's not forget good old legal drinking. Major abuse all the time, from "qualified citizens" who should know better, etc. etc.

I have 'smoked' since I was in my 20s and I have had no possible connection between this and anything that has happened major in my life, personally or professionally (when I was working) medically and emotionally. It's always been other stuff at work. Overdrinking has been worse on my system, than a puff or two (or three or four, lol) has over what? Three decades of my life?

Grass is not the same (and has been continually proven so) pill-type or shoot-up chemicals, hard drugs or the like. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for one's system, if properly abused. Over-smoking grass just usually gets you either more hungry or.... sleepy. Or both, lol.

That's my bit on this.

In My humble Opinion.

(EDIT to add and usually when you stop smoking grass, you don't go into withdrawn crap like you do if and when you stop smoking cigarettes. For any give amount of time. It's easy. No big deal.)

I just remembered something I wanted to add. One huge concern I have if Marijuana does become legal, is the production of it getting picked up by the tobacco companies. I would be extremely concerned that they would do the same thing they did with cigarettes and make them more addictive by adding numerous toxic chemicals and nicotine. However, I do believe that a vast majority of people would stop this from happening, at least I hope.

I don't believe that with the vast circulation already going on with the green stuff, that there would be any doubt by regular users pre-legalization, that the 'taste' of a gov't-made smoke could be easily figured out, and such things as "additives and stuff" (and I understand your concern on that - mine too) immediately detected w/o problem.

I thnk there's a few of us around the world, who know, and can taste, better or as good etc. and/or anything "funny" going on, heh heh.

If grass gets legalized in any country, then the Government stands the chance of

A) getting rid of major drug cartels and (probable run) gang related "business", like massive illegal grow-ops.

Once it's legal, then the it's kind of dumb to try and make illegal profit off of it. They tried that with cigarettes for years, proably still do in small spots across the continent, but its really a non-issue, after legalization.

and B) Profit, profit profit from taxing those little 20-packs or 10-packs (or however they'd eventually figure out out how to sell it)... exactly like they do with tobacco cigarettes. The profit from taxes alone on such stuff would easily cover (or make great stride$ towards) a few long-neglected (and usually greatly underfunded) social service programs found in Any City, USA. Or Any Town, World.

Misuse by the consumer happens with anything and everything imagineable, from cigarettes to prescription drugs, to foods of various kinds, types and portions. And let's not forget good old legal drinking. Major abuse all the time, from "qualified citizens" who should know better, etc. etc.

I have 'smoked' since I was in my 20s and I have had no possible connection between this and anything that has happened major in my life, personally or professionally (when I was working) medically and emotionally. It's always been other stuff at work. Overdrinking has been worse on my system, than a puff or two (or three or four, lol) has over what? Three decades of my life?

Grass is not the same (and has been continually proven so) pill-type or shoot-up chemicals, hard drugs or the like. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for one's system, if properly abused. Over-smoking grass just usually gets you either more hungry or.... sleepy. Or both, lol.

That's my bit on this.

In My humble Opinion.

(EDIT to add and usually when you stop smoking grass, you don't go into withdrawn crap like you do if and when you stop smoking cigarettes. For any give amount of time. It's easy. No big deal.)

ditto

I found this interesting. British medical journal The Lancet published this graph of drugs, plotting their potential for dependency and physical harm. With the exception of the oft-mentioned alcohol and tobacco, all the substances are currently illegal for recreational, non-medical use (and then solvents, which aren't intentionally drugs in the first place). Looking at it this way, it seems like tobacco and alcohol are the exception to the rule, being legal, instead of pot being the exception by being illegal (and of course alcohol would be illegal as well if the government had succeeded).

Personally, it doesn't change anything about my feelings (and I'm sure pretty much everyone else is confident enough in their own opinions as well, which is fine). I'd still rather not see it legalized for recreational purposes, but I'm much more open to it's medical uses. Anyway, I just found the comparisons interesting.

380px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_(mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence)_svg.png.2ce713faca812715323bc205086f5ac4.png

And to be fair to both sides, please note that this study doesn't include every harmful substance, like caffeine, sugars, etc.

Then there's always my personal favorite here...

Mmmmm wonder what the "chocolate eggshell" will actually be made of - and taste like, heh heh.

Kid-ding. But - possible, hmm?

KINDERFROMJAMAICA.jpg.592ab60f5df1957c8802d4befa71814a.jpg

Its speaks for itself: "Kinder from Jamaica". Hey hey, mon. But the instructions ... look .... difficult.

i would like to smoke it when Im old and retired with no real responsibilities. Also I'd much rather use thc to numb any pains I have over using addictive pain killers such as oxycotton and codien. But not until then do I require marijuana as the effects of mj would only slow me down and interefere with my young and ambitious life.

I found this interesting. British medical journal The Lancet published this graph of drugs, plotting their potential for dependency and physical harm. With the exception of the oft-mentioned alcohol and tobacco, all the substances are currently illegal for recreational, non-medical use (and then solvents, which aren't intentionally drugs in the first place). Looking at it this way, it seems like tobacco and alcohol are the exception to the rule, being legal, instead of pot being the exception by being illegal (and of course alcohol would be illegal as well if the government had succeeded).

Personally, it doesn't change anything about my feelings (and I'm sure pretty much everyone else is confident enough in their own opinions as well, which is fine). I'd still rather not see it legalized for recreational purposes, but I'm much more open to it's medical uses. Anyway, I just found the comparisons interesting.

I'm not sure if I would trust that chart though. Everyone is different with drugs. You can't really rate a hallucinogen such as LSD on it's dependancy, for example. It's like putting roller coasters on a dependancy chart. Some people will want to ride it over and over because they like the extreme experience, and some people hate the extreme experience and will never want to ride a roller coaster again.

Everyone is different with drugs.

Of every kind, type, make, portion, and on and on...

Some do it/them. And some don't.

Some use drugs responsibly (presrciption and non-) while others continue to abuse.

Large expensive look-sees/tests/long wordy blah blahs into the use of grass is starting to get tired. In my opinion. Everybody says it's either good or bad. So be it.

Use your head. If you don't want to break a law, especially in the USA, don't take the chance. Not worth it for a happy future. Eventually, things will get better (and more civilized about it) and the majority will finally realize that grass is fine and no big deal in the ways of the world... and then legalize it.