TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

300 Stuck After Disney World Monorail Breaks Down

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — A power failure stranded about 300 passengers for a couple hours aboard three monorail trains at Walt Disney World.

Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department says no one was injured when the monorail system lost power around 1 a.m. Sunday.

Jones says firefighters used ladders to assist some visitors aboard one train "more out of customer service than as an emergency situation." Other passengers disembarked later when the trains were towed to nearby stations.

The 15-mile monorail service was restored by the time the parks opened later Sunday morning.

An electrical short disrupted the monorail service in September.

Link

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at the Magic Kingdom Saturday night (flying home after a week in Orlando). I will summarize things with the following points. Feel free to comment or inquire furher and I will be glad to expand upon them.

1) The entire resort is seemingly being run on a budget that is "just enough" to keep things running.

2) The free dining promotion *has* to go. It is filling the resort up with fat American and European families who are eating themselves into obvlivion and also pushing and shoving their way through crowds at the last minute to get in front of you to see Spectromagic even if you have been sitting on the curb for an hour. Don't bother trying to reason with these fat families- they are better than you.

2a) Free dining means if you do not have priority seating times at a WDW restaurant before you leave, that you will be eating churros and hot dogs the entire trip.

3) I'll close by saying the situation at the Magic Kingdom Saturday night was downright scary. The park was at least 25% understaffed to my naked eye. Crowd control? What crowd control. With a central plaza 5 times the size of Disneyland's, there was still no order at all. Couple this with arrogant fat tourists and you have the recipe for a magical celebration, indeed.

With that said, we had a decent trip- knowing to work around Extra Fat Tourist Magic Hours, playing the Fastpass game to the best we could, and finding the best kept new ride of the year in Manta. Amazing ride, amazing installation, and best flying coaster by far IMO.

Universal gets the award for most pathetic new installation in Rockit. Unreliable (doesn't open until at least noon everyday) and they haven't been able to run more than 4 trains on an given day (meaning hourly capacity in the 300-400 range leading to 90 minute waits even with the rest of the park dead).

Back to the monorail situation, I am *so* glad we opted to leave around 11 and took the ferryboat.....

^We did the Deluxe Dining Plan last year and each meal was enough food to feed an African village for a year. Even with sticking to mostly two meal voucher experiences, it's more food than any person needs. We wound up wasting several snack credits at the end of the trip because it was just too much food.

3) I'll close by saying the situation at the Magic Kingdom Saturday night was downright scary. The park was at least 25% understaffed to my naked eye. Crowd control? What crowd control. With a central plaza 5 times the size of Disneyland's, there was still no order at all. Couple this with arrogant fat tourists and you have the recipe for a magical celebration, indeed.

When we were there last February, parents were letting their kids hop the fences and run around in the grassy areas during wishes. The only time anyone, ANYONE, told them to get out of there was the photographer. And that was only when the kids set up camp right behind a newlywed couple getting their picture taken in front of his photo little set up. I wanted to go in there myself and start hauling them off.

^ I stopped going to Disney like five years ago becuase of that similar reason, all the fat people that think that they need all the attention along with all the screaming brats that run around there. There was no fun in going anymore because that is all that we did down there, Disney.

On topic, what is going on with Disney now? Am i oblivious or were there no major issues with the parks until this year? With the monorail crash and now this, what is next? I know that they are not related by I have to wonder if there is going to be anymore problems this next year? The last couple of times that I went ,04-05, I would have rather gone to Holiday World and Splash N Safari for two days than the two weeks that we were usually down at Disney.

I have no idea if I just grew out of Disney or if it is me but there is no drawing to Disney feel that I used to have.

It's a power outage. Not the end of the world.

The Slantinel is doing it's usual spin on Disney.

Agreed--sometimes, stuff just happens. The more important issue is how the "stuff" was handled.

^I don't think those two things have any connection to each other. Power outages happen, not a big deal.

I don' think they are either I am just glad I don't have to deal with the monorails when I go to work there

I may be a bit biased since I worked in Monorails for 5 months this year, but Monorails could possibly be the best job to have at Walt Disney World. Yeah, occasionally issues happened like power outages, evacuations, etc., but it was part of the job. Most of these incidents occur over long periods of time and certainly weren't an everyday thing when I worked there. The hardest part of it all was dealing with the people, if a train breaks down in front of you and your stuck in the Contemporary for almost an hour with guests on board, it's rough...trust me I had to deal with that.