TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CoCo Key Water Resort makes its way to Orlando

http://www.cocokeywaterresort.com/locations/orlando/water-park/water-park-information.aspx

CoCo Key Water Resorts is a chain of indoor water park hotels with locations throughout the U.S. The Orlando CoCo Key will be the first one in Florida. (Actually, it will be the first indoor water park of any kind in the Sunshine State.) Typically, CoCo Key has opened its Key West-themed water parks in northern climes such as the Midwest and New England, offering visitors a simulated Florida getaway. The Key West theme, however, will be right at home in Orlando. Rather than offering a mid-winter respite to frozen New Englanders, the Orlando CoCo Key will give Florida visitors a weatherproof way to have water park fun.

The highlight of CoCo Key will be its medium-sized waterpark. While it will lack the signature attractions found at larger indoor water parks, such as bowl rides, surfing rides, or water coasters, it will offer many of the usual water park suspects. As with the other parks in the CoCo Key chain, it will feature body slides and tube slides with names such as Gator Gush and Shark Slam, the Coconut Grove lazy river, and an indoor/outdoor whirlpool spa. It will also offer the Parrot's Perch interactive water play center with smaller slides, sprayers and other water gizmos, and a tipping bucket.

A zero-entry toddler pool should keep very young guests and their parents happy, while a dedicated teen pool will provide a place for tweens and teens to call their own. Without major thrill rides, however, the park will be ideally geared to families with children under the age of 12.

The outdoor water park attractions, which will be a first for a CoCo Key Water Resort, will have a large canopy over them so that guests will be able to frolic on the slides even when one of Orlando's notorious afternoon showers blows through. Other activities will include an arcade with redemption games.

The business model for CoCo Key has been to purchase existing, slightly distressed hotels in major markets, remodel them, and graft an indoor water park onto them. The Orlando CoCo Key is no different. The company purchased the failed Legacy Orlando Grand Resort condo-hotel, which was formerly known as the Orlando Grand Plaza, and is converting it into the 373-room CoCo Key Hotel. It will be the first hotel in the chain to wear the CoCo Key name. (CoCo Key's other resorts partner with third-party brands such as Sheraton and Holiday Inn.) The water park's colorful Key West theme will extend to the hotel side of the facility, another first for the Orlando property.

The resort is scheduled to open this Spring and based on its predecessors, it looks like it has the potential to do quite well.

Edited by SharkTums

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I personally do not see the need for an indoor water park in Orlando FL. It just does not make sense. Orlando is usually super beautiful. Why would you need an indoor waterpark there? I could see putting another one in Sandusky... But not Orlando... Why?? Sure people will stay there, and use the waterpark, but IMO its pointless.

~Matthew

I totally think there should be MORE of these indoor waterparks. Florida gets a lot of lightning which shuts down parks, also as much as it doesn't get as cold as the north, it still is NOT waterpark weather for nearly half the year.

I'd also like to see some of these waterpark resorts come to SoCal.

The only bummer is that it seems like this is going to be a kind of below average waterpark resort.

The only bummer is that it seems like this is going to be a kind of below average waterpark resort.

There's a Coco Key close to me, and it's really for ages 5-12. They have four "medium thrill" slides; two body and two tube which are both enclosed. Buttt they are all pretty much identical so it's really only two different slides. There's also a small lazy river and kids water play area..that's it. Not much, but also not a lot to do.

It's nothing compared to the GWL that has the watercoaster, bowl, family raft slide, giant water play areas, wave pool, and inclosed/open body/tube slides. I could stay there all evening.

I'd loveeeee to go back to GWL or a Kalahari.

Now that I think about this more, maybe it's even a better idea. Instead of attracting annoying teenagers with crazy water rides (bowls, surfing, etc. that can be found down the street in better water parks), attract families with small children with a smaller nicer place away from the sun, bugs, and teenagers!

O.K. some old Highschool friend of Elissa now needs to post some photos of her running around a Florida Waterpark acting like an annoying teenager. (Those photos must be out there!)

That way she'll recall how she once fulfilled that role, in her pre-Robb/KidTums days.

^Funny, but you won't find it!

In fact, I refused to go to Grad Night at the MK just because I didn't want to be lumped into those terrible teenagers and deal with security all over the MK.

I was always a good girl!

Instead can you post that picture for when you were in a dance troupe again?

• 2 months later...

http://www.cocokeywaterresort.com/locations/orlando/water-park/water-park-information.aspx

COCO KEY WATER RESORT ANNOUNCES NEW GRAND OPENING IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA

Construction on the newest and most exciting addition to CoCo Key Water Resort's portfolio of water resorts and hotels is set to open in April of 2010. Located in Orlando, Florida at 7400 International Drive, the adventure-filled 54,000 square-foot canopy covered and outdoor water park will be the only of its kind in the area and is set to attract families from across the globe.

CoCo Key Water Resort’s colorful décor and atmosphere reflect the tropical appeal of historic Key West and attractions including three adventure water slides – the Boomerango, Surfer Splash and Over the Falls will offer thrilling rides for excitement-seeking guests. Palm Paradise spa, and Parrot’s Perch interactive play island will offer water park fun for families looking for a quieter experience and the new Orlando CoCo Key property will also feature attractions including Minnow Lagoon toddler pool, CoCo’s Beach, and a teen pool, Coral Reef Cove.

The resort will feature various food and beverage outlets including TradeWinds, a full-service restaurant, Callaloo Grill, a food court area in the water park, and Gator’s Grab & Go, a convenience store and gift shop. In addition, guests age 21 and older will be able to enjoy a beverage in the tropical bar along the wharf. The Key Quest Arcade will feature state of the art games for everyone in the family and Parakeet’s Playhouse will offer a multi-function space for parties, events, and more!

A six-foot-tall plush version of “CoCo,” the resort’s fun-loving famous parrot mascot, will entertain guests, make special appearances, and pose for pictures. Conveniently located to all major attractions, CoCo Key Water Resort and Hotel will include 392 completely renovated guest rooms and family suites, the new Gator Grab and Go coffee and convenience shop, health &fitness center and new restaurant/ food court.

concept1.jpg.bb7c86439a8a3879b928288f5f14c2b8.jpg

concept2.jpg.b8291dd8aae8d4e05e88a03a4c374d6b.jpg

concept3.jpg.c64c0c53a1e2d35751a6bc2b651c8e65.jpg

rightCol_CoCoBird.jpg.8f5a41dbe507601f544ee679ca58e54e.jpg

logoSM.jpg.e293b3e77618203c76fadd3b3452ecbf.jpg

We have a CoCo Key just down I-75 from us. We go there 1-2 times a year, and while our is geared more toward the younger kids, their still fun parks. Now is the hotel itself new, or is it an existing hotel getting the CoCo Key makeover? That's what they did here in Cincinnati.

I'm not sure how competitive I see this place being in the Orlando market, it seems sort of bland for the area. I guess we'll see...
I think they have a good chance for people with younger kids, who don't want to spend a ton or commit to staying at WDW or USO for 4-7 days.

^ From the original post:

The company purchased the failed Legacy Orlando Grand Resort condo-hotel, which was formerly known as the Orlando Grand Plaza, and is converting it into the 373-room CoCo Key Hotel.

I would appreciate anyone that has ridden one of these Boomerangos to weigh in on the ride experience. Is it good? Is it a one time experience or something you would ride over and over again. Would you rather ride a Boomerango or one of those mat-racers?

^^ My take on the boomerangos: I LOVED the Boomerango (UpSurge!) we installed at Alabama Adventure in 2009. I am usually more of a ride a slide once or twice and be done with it, but when we had our employee ride night I kept going back and riding it over and over, it was that much fun. IMO, Boomerangos > mat racers, in fact, between all the major style waterslides I have been on I put it second behind MasterBlaster at Schlitterbahn (although I have not been on any of the Proslide tornados or their varients, but I have talked to a couple of people that like boomerangos over tornados) . Also, it seemed to be very popular with our guests, as almost everyday the stairs leading up to it would be FULL shortly after opening even on weekdays.

I would appreciate anyone that has ridden one of these Boomerangos to weigh in on the ride experience. Is it good? Is it a one time experience or something you would ride over and over again. Would you rather ride a Boomerango or one of those mat-racers?

Both myself and Dan had a blast riding the one @ CGA. You get some pretty decent airtime.