TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Facebook Etiquette Tips: Photos and Tagging

Yeah, I really don't do Facebook, and am still figuring out Twitter. I mainly use um for updates on parks, because I'm not always home to check the web and my phone has an app for it.

Anyway, it was really weird to see all these notices saying Robb was tagged in pictures. Had to figure out what that meant, and then I go to see the cool picture of Robb doing "something", and I can't even tell if it's him, or it's a picture of him standing there doing nothing. Point being, glad you bumped this topic, I read it last time you bumped it, but this time I actually understand it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Well, based off how many people on FB use these annoying applications, I don't think it will be long till you have like two friends left.

Fine by me! I'd rather have two friends that don't annoy me than 1,000 friends who do.

I've just blocked two more people from my Facebook and sent them this note:

I have blocked you for using the "Top Secret" application. It's nothing personal, I just don't want the crap on my wall anymore and there is no way that I can find to block the appllication, so I have no other choice but to block the user.

--Robb

IDK, Maybe you should just close your account? ...it seems kinda dumb to have a Facebook account if you don't like Facebook 101.

To tell you the truth though, I am awfully saddened by your aforementioned attitude and actions, kinda' like a kid finding out that superman is really just a big jurk. Hay don't worry about it though, i'm gonna remove myself from your friends list prematurely! To help ya out... You know, In anticipation of you removing me (and insulting me, no doubt) for some ridiculous and 'out of my control' reason.

Coincidentally, I think ALL OF YOU need to check out that webpage posted earlier....

Edited by robbalvey

I dunno, I thought one of the reasons to tag someone in a photo was to identify who the person is - ESPECIALLY if it isn't already obvious.

Case in point: the alpine slide pic where you see Rob's back. Someone looks at the pic and says, "hey, cool alpine slide. I wonder if that's a person I know in the pic or if it's just some random person?" and then they see the tag and they know it's Robb.

Crowd scenes where you can't see the person at all? I get that. It's annoying. But identifying someone in the pic (background or not) because it's not immediately obvious seems completely legit to me.

As for the "I look awful in this pic, don't tag me" - get over it. The pic was of you, the subject of the pic was you, and by all other accounts that's a good reason to tag the photo. How is the person supposed to know whether or not you like that pic of you?

If getting tagged in a pic that you don't want to be tagged in is the most annoying thing you can find about facebook, then I'd say you're exponentially better off than most other folks on there.

I don't get why people are even tagging photos where it is clearly not kosher to do so in the first place, let alone contuning to tag them after this point has been made time and time again. Go Robb for this tutorial and I applaud making the FB world a better place, but it's ridiculous he even has to do the "YES" "NO" thing-- use your head, people!

This isn't just annoying to R&E; it seems like after every trip a million shots of Robb's side or back or "Where's Robb?" photos pop up in my feed and while I love seeing trip photos, these ones are pointless. I'm glad that this has been bumped and the point made yet again. Let's hope the people take the lesson to heart.

^ Well, based off how many people on FB use these annoying applications, I don't think it will be long till you have like two friends left.

Fine by me! I'd rather have two friends that don't annoy me than 1,000 friends who do.

I've just blocked two more people from my Facebook and sent them this note:

I have blocked you for using the "Top Secret" application. It's nothing personal, I just don't want the crap on my wall anymore and there is no way that I can find to block the appllication, so I have no other choice but to block the user.

--Robb

IDK, Maybe you should just close your account? ...it seems kinda dumb to have a Facebook account if you don't like Facebook 101.

To tell you the truth though, I am awfully saddened by your aforementioned attitude and actions, kinda' like a kid finding out that superman is really just a big jurk. Hay don't worry about it though, i'm gonna remove myself from your friends list prematurely! To help ya out... You know, In anticipation of you removing me (and insulting me, no doubt) for some ridiculous and 'out of my control' reason.

Isn't this like the head chef/owner of a five star restaurant giving you free dining privileges every day of the year (using TPR), and only asking that you don't complain about simple crap like a dish being served lukewarm once in a while, or a waiter placing your order incorrectly every now and then (annoying and unnecessary tags, apps)?

Seriously, Facebook has become an extension of TPR. Robb utilizes it (like any good business does now) to stay connected to his fanbase (i.e. daily trip report updates from the road, etc., etc.). Is it really too much to ask to abide by his simple "ground rules" for keeping his Facebook experience positive, and eliminating the unnecessary BS that hampers productivity?

Coincidentally, I think ALL OF YOU need to check out that webpage posted earlier....

By the way, who's telling who what to do now? What if I told you I was insulted by this?

Seriously? DId you even look at the pictures that Robb posted above that he was tagged in? He's not even in them. As I said in a previous post, people think by tagging Robb that people are going to look at their pictures. I mean, Robb has like 5 million facebook "friends" (I'm exaggerating of course). But honestly, I think the opposite probably happens. People might click on the picture, see no Robb and then say forget it to the rest of the album. Personally I only look at albums from friends who have tagged people.

Stop tagging Robb, everybody knows it's Elissa we all want to see anyway

Stop tagging Robb, everybody knows it's Elissa we all want to see anyway

This made me laugh!

I'll chime in with my personal policy regarding Tagging Photos. I don't do it. Really - it takes a lot of time and energy and might piss someone off in the long run. If any of my friends want to be tagged - I welcome them to do it. I actually appreciate it because it tells me that they are looking at my pictures!

Perhaps if I took an amazing picture of someone I might update this policy, but I haven't come across this yet (maybe I'm just not a good photographer )

I think it's kind of crappy to bash on Robb (or anyone for that matter) for asking someone to excersize some discretion when tagging photos of him (or them.) It's not like he's going out there and deleting every friend that does it. He's making a reasonable request that is not difficult to comply with.

Maybe people are forgetting that you are "friends" with someone on FaceBook when you add them as a friend. If a friend asked you to refrain from doing something that just plain annoyed them - wouldn't you?

David

Edited by robbalvey

To tell you the truth though, I am awfully saddened by your aforementioned attitude and actions, kinda' like a kid finding out that superman is really just a big jurk. Hay don't worry about it though, i'm gonna remove myself from your friends list prematurely!

P.P.S. The term 'Facebook Nazi' just came to mind... LOL

Wow, you just got yourself f**king banned from TPR for being a complete asshole! Congratulations! I guess Superman *IS* a dick! Deal with it bitch!!!

Edited by robbalvey

I dunno, I thought one of the reasons to tag someone in a photo was to identify who the person is - ESPECIALLY if it isn't already obvious.

Case in point: the alpine slide pic where you see Rob's back. Someone looks at the pic and says, "hey, cool alpine slide. I wonder if that's a person I know in the pic or if it's just some random person?" and then they see the tag and they know it's Robb.

No, that is not the point of photo tagging.

As for the "I look awful in this pic, don't tag me" - get over it. The pic was of you, the subject of the pic was you, and by all other accounts that's a good reason to tag the photo. How is the person supposed to know whether or not you like that pic of you?

Yeah, sorry, no. You're wrong. That's not how it works.

If getting tagged in a pic that you don't want to be tagged in is the most annoying thing you can find about facebook, then I'd say you're exponentially better off than most other folks on there.

You don't even have a single clue what you're talking about, do you? At some point, check out Facebook. It's a social networking website located at http://www.facebook.com Be a member for about 6 years, update every day, sometimes multiple times per day and accumulate over 3,000 friends and then have one of them tag you in about 500 stupid photos that clog up your photos section on your site as well as get posted to the news feeds of your more than 3,000 friends. See how that works for you and then please come back and speak to us when you're a little more educated on the subject matter.

Look, guys, everyone, it's real simple - if you disagree with me, that's fine. I just ask that if you do disagree with me you go remove me from your friends list RIGHT NOW! Because I do not want anyone on my friends list who thinks what I'm asking is out of line. Period.

Thank you!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^^Those are perfectly acceptable to tag!

BTW, this tagging thing does get complex. For example a lot of the time I'll have people tag me in a photo if it's a photo of KT. (Since she doesn't have a Facebook) At first I hated this, but now I realize that I've missed out on a lot of great photos since I have no idea where they ended up!

Your opinion is your opinion when it comes to tagging, but you should all respect what Robb has asked MULTIPLE times now.

I know.. TPR rules say I should read the whole thread, but I'm busy at work, so if this is a repeat of someone else's post I'm sorry.

I had tagging turned off till our first TPR trip, because my friends/employees/flings would tag the worst photos of me.. If I wanted to remember how bad my skin was in 7th grade, I'd happily upload those photos myself.. It's too bad that facebook doesn't have more privacy options regarding tagging (ie people on a trusted tagging list )....

Also sad that the people who are likely to tag the worst photos are also not likely to read this post.

Your opinion is your opinion when it comes to tagging, but you should all respect what Robb has asked MULTIPLE times now.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts!

I see what you're saying, but you could also just comment and say "Robb going down the slide" or something to that effect, since its not a photo Robb wants to be tagged in.

I see what you're saying, but you could also just comment and say "Robb going down the slide" or something to that effect, since its not a photo Robb wants to be tagged in.

It all comes down to letting that person tag themselves if they want to. If you are afraid that they may never see these photos, tag someone in the posting of the album, e.g. "Great time with @Robb Alvey and @Theme Park Review at East Coast Bash!" along with it, and they will get notifications of that and be aware of the photos (but not be tagged in any unflattering/otherwise poor photos).

It all comes down to letting that person tag themselves if they want to. If you are afraid that they may never see these photos, tag someone in the posting of the album, e.g. "Great time with @Robb Alvey and @Theme Park Review at East Coast Bash!" along with it, and they will get notifications of that and be aware of the photos (but not be tagged in any unflattering/otherwise poor photos).

That's exactly correct. I don't mind being tagged in a photo album that lets me know it has pictures of me, and then I can go in and tag the photos I want to be tagged in.

But really, people are totally missing my point. It's not like I'm saying "DON'T EVER TAG ME IN PHOTOS" I'm saying "USE GOOD JUDGEMENT WHEN TAGGING PHOTOS."

I really am baffled as how this is so difficult for people to comprehend, especially with the amount of examples given, other than I guess some people are bigger idiots than I gave them credit for?

--Robb

Look, guys, everyone, it's real simple - if you disagree with me, that's fine. I just ask that if you do disagree with me you go remove me from your friends list RIGHT NOW! Because I do not want anyone on my friends list who thinks what I'm asking is out of line.

I just want to send a huge thank you out to the people who did remove themselves from my friends list on their own. And to the one person who made some sort of snide comment about it, please understand, I would rather have FEWER FRIENDS than have more friends who are going to be rude and annoying. You're not going to insult me at all by removing yourself.

So again, thank you to the people who removed themselves from my friends list. If anything, you probably saved me the time from having to do the eventual remove myself.

--Robb "Quality over Quantity." Alvey