TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Doing the loop the loop

RCoasterny

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted them to have a heartline roll on F1 tracks since the cars generate enough down force they could drive upside down. Only problem is if you aren't at speed it doesn't tend to work so well. Cool trick, seems like a knock off show of Top Gear though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've always wanted them to have a heartline roll on F1 tracks since the cars generate enough down force they could drive upside down. Only problem is if you aren't at speed it doesn't tend to work so well. Cool trick, seems like a knock off show of Top Gear though.

But in heartline rolls, you experience alot of negative Gs...

The reason this was a circle loop and not a Clothoid loop is that during a normal coaster clothoid style loop you experience a small amount of weightlessness at the peak of the loop, if this happened whilst driving a car round a loop, the car would fall.

By keeping the loop perfectly circular, the g's are kept high, thus centriple force works correctly!

This was filmed about 5 miles from my home, I drove past a day or 2 after filming and saw the loop, interesting piece of tv though.

btw. 5th Gear is just an alternative to Top Gear, totally different channel, but agreed, definatly not in the same class as Top Gear.

The reason this was a circle loop and not a Clothoid loop is that during a normal coaster clothoid style loop you experience a small amount of weightlessness at the peak of the loop, if this happened whilst driving a car round a loop, the car would fall.

By keeping the loop perfectly circular, the g's are kept high, thus centriple force works correctly!

Not true, even clothoid loops can have a force of +1 G at the top. The only meaning that clothoid has is that the radius goes from large to small and back to large. It has nothing to do with the amout of G's.

For example, if you build a 200ft drop into a 50th clothoid loop, you can image there will be no weightlessness.