TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Virginia vs. New England

Which parks would you choose?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which parks would you choose?

• Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce
    • Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I vote for the VA option by a long shot. If it was 2008 or prior, SFNE and LC might've been a close option, but it's not anymore. In my opinion, Bizarro has been ruined. It's to the point that I don't even care to go back to SFNE anymore because that was the only ride there that I liked and I don't enjoy it anymore. The new lap bars don't bother me, but the blaring audio, view-blocking headrests, and unnecessary mist which gives you a bath (not a fan of getting soaked on coasters), have dropped it way down in my rankings.

I think the VA parks offer much more overall with many coasters (most of which are very good) and much more atmosphere. Busch is constantly voted as one of the best landscaped parks out there, has above average shows, and offers very good dining options. I think Kings Dominion has a great coaster line-up and every visit I've had to that park has been excellent.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also under the impression that user above me has not even been to BGE or PKD since he has continually said that those rides, "look good"

I have been to KD (In case you didn't know, Paramount sold it to Cedar Fair a few years ago, so it isn't PKD anymore...), and I agree with the user above you that Dominator only looks good. It is rough and really not as good as many other floorless coasters.

The bottom line is this: If you want two of the best coasters in the nation, go to New England. If you want a credit horde, go to Virginia.

If you like flats in addition to coasters, go to New England. If you want atmosphere at the park, go to Virginia (BGE).

It all depends on what you want from your trip. I personally wouldn't miss out on Bizarro, especially now that BBW is gone from BGE. If BBW was still there, I think the decision would be harder. I'll wait until BGE gets a new coaster to replace BBW.

-James Dillaman

Sacrificing a day at Busch Gardens by itself shouldn't be worth driving to check out two coasters that may not even live up to your expectations after hearing all this hype. I understand that people have their opinions but after you ride those two coasters and get your fill, what are you going to do with your days? If you feel like you must experience them than by all means, check out those two parks. But if you want some all day experiences, then please go to the Virginia parks. After all, the poll currently reads thirteen to thirty one in favor of Virginia for a good reason.

^ The main reason is people are voting who haven't been to all the parks...

I love how you can make a judgement call without ever being on a ride. These are the same people that say "I don't like the new coaster that isn't even built yet, it's gonna suck...."

Truth is, more people have been to BGE and KD than SFNE and LC, at least on this forum.

Look at some of the people who voted for the virginia parks: BGEguy, PKDcoaster, kingsdominionlover. And on the New England side: supermanrosfan0810, sros1fun....

Seriously, look at what the parks have to offer and make your own decision, asking a bunch of coaster nerds for advice on what park to choose is like asking a bunch of parents who's kids are the best. Everyone's so biased.

-James Dillaman

Opinions are personal. Just because yours is different doesn't make yours better. Be nice!

If you have time or money restrictions, those two factors may govern your decision. The New England parks will likely be far cheaper for park admission. Flights and hotels can vary depending on the weekend.

The key thing to remember is you won't have a terrible time with either choice if you go into it with a mindset of having fun rather than anticipation because of someone else's opinion. If you go in expecting to ride the most amazingest awesome ride because yada yada yada you will likely be disappointed with whatever you choose.

I voted for SFNE/Lake Compounce because in my opinion that is the better combination. I've actually been to all of the parks on the poll;, I feel like a lot of people who voted haven't actually been to all of these places. I love BGE, but honestly I think Kings Dominion is a crap park that is only worth visiting because they're getting a really huge addition next year.

Superman/Bizarro at SFNE isn't my number one steel, but it certainly has more forceful airtime than any of the B&M hypers I've ridden. If you're looking for the better ride, I think most people would agree that SROS/Bizarro is better than Apollo, it's simply a much more forceful. Boulder Dash is just plain awesome, and honestly Kings Dominion doesn't have any good wooden coasters. Will Intimidator 305 turn out to be a better ride than SFNE's Intamin? Nobody can really say until the ride opens. I'm just saying that based on my visits to these parks Lake Compounce and SFNE will give you a much nicer park experience than KD/BGE.

As Ginzo said, honestly: add Kennywood and Waldameer on instead of New England or Virginia. Nobody can argue that the atmosphere at Kennywood is great, as well as the rides, plus they have a new coaster.

Ravine Flyer II is awesome, and the park is cheap (you can pay per ride if you want). Plus they have a fun classic walkthru and a decent spinning coaster.

Pennsylvania parks FTW.

-James Dillaman

I am also under the impression that user above me has not even been to BGE or PKD since he has continually said that those rides, "look good"

I have been to KD (In case you didn't know, Paramount sold it to Cedar Fair a few years ago, so it isn't PKD anymore...)

-James Dillaman

Yeah, I know. I just like to call it PKD, It is out of habit. I agree with the person above this post. Adding Kennywood and Waldameer, or even just looking for a 3rd option is a good idea. I also agree with an above statement, that asking which parks are better on a coaster forum is a bad idea and just leads to exactly what happened. Go with whatever YOU think looks good. As seen from this topic, you really can't go by what other people say is better.

^ The main reason is people are voting who haven't been to all the parks...

I love how you can make a judgement call without ever being on a ride. These are the same people that say "I don't like the new coaster that isn't even built yet, it's gonna suck...."

Truth is, more people have been to BGE and KD than SFNE and LC, at least on this forum.

Look at some of the people who voted for the virginia parks: BGEguy, PKDcoaster, kingsdominionlover. And on the New England side: supermanrosfan0810, sros1fun....

Seriously, look at what the parks have to offer and make your own decision, asking a bunch of coaster nerds for advice on what park to choose is like asking a bunch of parents who's kids are the best. Everyone's so biased.

-James Dillaman

Relax, I have been offline for awhile. Then just consider my advice another approach to the question.

I vote for the VA option by a long shot. If it was 2008 or prior, SFNE and LC might've been a close option, but it's not anymore. In my opinion, Bizarro has been ruined. It's to the point that I don't even care to go back to SFNE anymore because that was the only ride there that I liked and I don't enjoy it anymore. The new lap bars don't bother me, but the blaring audio, view-blocking headrests, and unnecessary mist which gives you a bath (not a fan of getting soaked on coasters), have dropped it way down in my rankings.

Those are the dumbest excuses i have ever heard, what coaster doesnt have abstructed views? You either have a high back seat in front of you or someones head unless you ride the front seat everytime. I have ridden bizarro 30 times over the summer and i can say i have never got soaked from the mist, and the audio is barely noticeable while the train is going through the circuit. I guess some people arent happy unless they are b*tching about something.

Which ever park you chose you will have a good time, i for one love all parks because i go there to ride and have fun not to try to rank them as to which ones are the best.

Those are the dumbest excuses i have ever heard, what coaster doesnt have abstructed views? You either have a high back seat in front of you or someones head unless you ride the front seat everytime.

Unless the coaster is traveling on a constant straight horizontal plane the entire time, I'm guessing you'll eventually see something besides the person or chairback in front of you. Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Wizard?

I guess some people arent happy unless they are b*tching about something.

Pot, meet kettle.

I understand that people like to defend their home parks or favorite parks vigorously. But the tone of some of our members in this thread has been out of line.

Present you case politely, then let it go. No flame wars, please.

Thank you.

I'm going with New England. I have the opportunity to ride two of the best coasters on the planet; I'm not going to pass it up. Besides, while BGW does look like an amazing park (and I've been wanting to go to it for years) I can see myself finding the B&Ms overrated.

By the way, yes, I have been to Kennywood...and I would much rather ride Bizarro/Boulder Dash or go to BGW/ride i305 than ride a Premier launching coaster and a GG woodie.

Having Six Flags New England as my Home Park is a serious delight. There is nothing better than a ride on Bizzaro at night. It's smooth, powerful and balanced perfectly. Also Batman the Dark Night is an amazing B&M floorless that offers a complex, compact and technical taste that the park needs to balance out it's collection of coasters. Pandemonium and Thunderbolt are great coasters as well. On the downside, SFNE is always VERY busy during the summer since it's the regions major theme park. Lastly, I've never been to Lake Compounce but I hear amazing things about boulder dash too.

I have also been to BGE. They offer top of the line coasters that are smooth, mostly have short waits, and have a unique element that I can't put my finger on. From my experience Griffon is amazing and you hardly ever have to wait for it less than 10 minutes. The other coasters are great too.

My conclusion is that New England parks are better. They offer more variety in a shorter distance from each other and there are also other parks close to the ones you mentioned. If you are going to be coaster traveling, swing by up here.

The no brainer is Virginia.

I rode both Bizarros this year. I rode SFNE's Bizarro on Columbus Day. The effects are awesome, like going through the tunnels, the cutouts, the LEDs were super bright, as was the fire. I sadly have to report I felt some airtime muted by the new larger lapbars. It's not as wild as it used to be but I love S:ROS/Bizarro S:ROS SFNE was never overrated and that's me a huge NITRO fan saying that

I would go with New England. SROS was my favorite steel coaster when I rode it in 08, and BD is my number 2 wood coaster. Lake Compounce is my favorite park...I think it is pretty much a perfect place, but not many people share that opinion with me.

The VA parks definitely have a greater quantity of good coasters though. Griffon, Alpie, Apollo's, Volcano, Dominator, I305, and Flight of Fear are definitely a good set of rides for a few days.

I would say that SFNE and KD are about the same in overall quality parks, and both BGE and LC are special places worth visiting. LC is obviously more traditional and Busch is more modern.

It's a close call. I would easily pick New England, but I may be biased, because I've been to the VA parks way too much!

There are six coasters I have been on that I rate miles above the other 400 or so I have ridden, the Compounce/SFNE trip has two of those most holy coasters. The other trip has 1 coaster that could potentially join that elite group. LC/SFNE for me.

I really think you should sit down and decide what you like in coasters I can only base quality on my own opinion.

I think if you rated every coaster on the KD/BGE trip out of 10, the average rating would be higher than SFNE/LC but Dash and SROS are amazing.

I'm going with New England. I have the opportunity to ride two of the best coasters on the planet; I'm not going to pass it up. Besides, while BGW does look like an amazing park (and I've been wanting to go to it for years) I can see myself finding the B&Ms overrated.

He's already decided...

-James Dillaman

The no brainer is Virginia.

I rode both Bizarros this year. I rode SFNE's Bizarro on Columbus Day. The effects are awesome, like going through the tunnels, the cutouts, the LEDs were super bright, as was the fire. I sadly have to report I felt some airtime muted by the new larger lapbars. It's not as wild as it used to be but I love S:ROS/Bizarro S:ROS SFNE was never overrated and that's me a huge NITRO fan saying that

The airtime was muted? Are you kidding me? Get the very rear car!

I was flying out of my seat on those camel-backs. I've been on both Bizzaro's too, and I must say that in my opinion, they are definitely not overrated. Though I did feel the upgrades were extremely unnecessary.