TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Virginia vs. New England

Which parks would you choose?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which parks would you choose?

• Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce
    • Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I'm currently planning an East Coast Trip for Late June next year, including SFGAdv, Dorney, Hershey, Knoebels, and either SFNE/Lake Compounce or KD/BGW. Can only do one due to time and money, and I'm wondering which you guys think is better.

I'm thinking SFNE/Lake Compounce, just because I want to ride Bizarro and Boulder Dash more than pretty much anything, but i305 is looking pretty awesome and I'd love to go to BGW, so I thought it could make a pretty interesting discussion for those who have been to both areas.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I join in on this trip?!

I'm gonna go with KD/BGW because you'll already get your dose of nut busting out of control airtime and fun with El Toro, so by choosing kd/bgw, you'll be able to add to your variety a bit more, and visit BGW which seems to be a world class park. Plus, I know how much you love Millie, so it'll be fun for you to compare the 2 gigas

Well I305 to me doesn't look that exciting and LC and SFNE are two excellent parks. Bizarro is an amazing ride and not being able to ride I305 won't be that bad because Bizarro would make that up. Plus at LC you have Boulder Dash, the most incredible woodie out there. So you will be able to ride two awesome woodies now because of El Toro.

I have not been to KD or BGE but I have been to both SFNE and LC so that is just my opinion. LC is a very family friendly atmosphere and has some great flats.

I would go with New England. You do NOT want to miss Boulder Dash! It is my personal favorite roller coaster & it is unbelievable. Plus it is a shorter drive from the Pennsylvania & New Jersey area to New England. Virginia is a good 8 hour drive from where I live & New England is about a 4 hour drive so you would save some travel money.

This is my honest opinion...

I really did love Kings Dominion when I went this year. I rode all coasters in one day, even both sides on Rebell Yell. Although I finished the day 20 minutes before closing after riding everything. The staff is very lazy, but it still is a good park. My favorite CF park.

Busch Gardens Europe was amazing. Better coasters then KD, better staff and food and atmosphere. And the lines were shorter even though their were more people. Although Big Bad Wolf is gone, you should still go.

---------

Out of SFNE and LC. It is a shorter distance. SFNE is one of my favorite SF parks I been too, because it was empty. But I went on a rainy day, so I lucked out. But if it is crowded, don't get mad at me.

Lake Co. looks pretty good. But if you want more credits, I recommend the KD option. Maybe consider SFA too, because that is so close to KD.

I voted for KD/BGE. While Bizarro is a great ride and Boulder Dash is the best wooden coaster I've been on, I think KD & BGE provide more quality coasters than the New England parks. After Boulder Dash and Bizarro, there really isn't much. KD/BGE you get Dominator, FoF, I305, Griffon, Apollo's Chariot, Loch Ness Monster, Alpengeist, Drop Tower, Curse of DarKastle and Volcano. IMO, I think that those rides more than make up for Bizarro and Boulder Dash.

Virginia is the better place for steel coasters. New England is the better place for wood coasters. If you are looking at just roller coasters, you should decide if you want some of the best steel coasters in the world, or a whole lot of wooden coasters. My personal opinion is biased by the fact I live in Virginia, and of course my username. Hope that helps.

BGE and PKD are easily better parks. But like stated above Boulder Dash is also my personal favorite roller coaster. And in all honesty, you can get SFNE and LC done in one day while The Virginia parks, you might be able to do in one day (if you're like me) But I'd recommend spending one day each.

I haven't been on Bizarro, I've been on it as SROS. But if it is anything like Bizarro/Medusa at SFGadv, I believe the new effects and sound made it a worse ride. So i wouldn't get my hopes up for Bizarro at SFNE. I have heard that the SFNE version suffered the same problems, the sound being too loud, and just a less fun ride. It makes it not very re-ridable. (this of course is my own opinion so take it has just that, an opinion)

It's really up to you, but the New England trip will be much cheaper and you'll get on two GREAT coasters. I can't say the same to everything else at those parks. So it really depends on the vacation you want to do. You'll have a better time in Virginia but if you're short on cash and just want to get on the best coasters, do the New England trip.

I've always believed in quality over quantity, and it doesn't get much better than Bizarro and Boulder Dash. Though throwing another Intamin into the equation at KD, along with BGW easily being the best park of the four, does make for a much more difficult decision.

I haven't been on Bizarro, I've been on it as SROS. But if it is anything like Bizarro/Medusa at SFGadv, I believe the new effects and sound made it a worse ride. So i wouldn't get my hopes up for Bizarro at SFNE. I have heard that the SFNE version suffered the same problems, the sound being too loud, and just a less fun ride. It makes it not very re-ridable. (this of course is my own opinion so take it has just that, an opinion)

You heard wrong then because Bizarro at SFNE is nothing like what you have at Great Adventure, no offense but yours sucks. The audio was only loud on Media Day and a few days after and gradually it got turned down to where it is now. All the effects are always working and aren't unmaintained like at GADV. In my opinion all the effects made the ride better. Espescially the buildings, why? Because the speed you are going at there, close to the top speed, and weaving through buildings and then finally through one is a great experience. Do not listen to what Medusa1861 said about Bizarro at SFNE, they didn't ride it and are basing facts over what they experienced on Bizarro at GADV.

I actually thought the Bizarro transformation of Medusa was great... I never really enjoyed the ride up to then. All the effects seemed to be something to enjoy other than the ride, and just made the ride all-around better.

At any rate, I generally agree with quality over quantity, but the quantity at KD and BGE is just too much for two great coasters at SFNE/LC, and their quality also seems top-notch. As somebody else said, the NE trip could be done in one day, and I personally want to get to Boulder Dash ASAP while it's in top form, but right now KD/BGE is probably the better trip.

Busch Gardens Europe is one of my favorite parks in the country. However, my favorite wooden and steel coaster (Boulder Dash and Bizzaro) are located in your other option. So I would choose SFNE and Lake Compounce. You can always hit Quassy for and hour or two between the parks as well. I think they are getting a new family wooden coaster for next season if I am not mistaken.

Seriously, you will probably have a better time at BGE than at either SFNE or LC, but you can't argue with the double shot of Bizarro and Boulder Dash. Add in driving times and everything (New England is a lot smaller than the more southern states) and I think you should definitely hit up New England.

As stated above, hit up Quassy if you want, too.

The only reason to do KD and BGE over the parks is if you just want the most credits, because as good as I305 looks, I don't believe it'll be Bizarro good.

-James Dillaman

So let me get this straight. A lot of you would take two great coasters, one at each park in New England, over how many great coasters combined at the two Virginia parks? At least 5 or 6, and then with I305 going in next year at KD you can just add another one. Dominator, Volcano, I305, Griffon, Alpengeist, and Apollo's Chariot. You could even add in Rebel Yell and Loch Ness Monster for some nostalgic greatness.

Add that to the fact that BGW is, in my opinion, far and away the best park on the planet. KD isn't too shabby, either, probably tied with KI as the best of the former Paramount parks.

That's the thing, it comes down to personal preference. In my opinion, Bizarro and Boulder Dash are great coasters (top 3), while Griffon, Apollo, Alpengeist, and Dominator are all very good. ...Just not top 10. As for the rest of the coasters, some are good and others not so good. Again it just comes down to personal preference.

Griffon alone will make me go with the Virginia option. It's such an amazing coaster.

I've never ridden Bizarro but if its a good as everybody says it is (El Toro Good.) I'd have to reconsider. Virginia has a better variety though. You have the top dogs...Intimidator and Griffon then you have Volcano and Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot and Dominator. I'd rather many GOOD coasters as oppose to one or two GREAT coaster. MO!

Seeing and hearing that most TPR members claim that Boulder Dash and Bizarro are one of the best woodies and steelies in the WORLD....I couldn't pass up on that opportunity.

That's why I'm choosing to visit those two parks over VA parks next year! And besides, I haven't heard many good things about KD; and BGE can wait when there's an amazing Intamin on the line

^ KD has decent ribs to eat... There, that's one good thing about KD...

In all seriousness, I do enjoy Volcano a lot, as well as Dominator (although Superman: Krypton Coaster beats it handedly in the floorless department), Flight of Fear, Avalanche, and (this may be only me ) Anaconda and Shockwave. Heck, even Grizzly can give some decent rides. The point is this: one ride on SROS was better than my entire day at KD, with the exception of the Flyers (as I am a big fan), but that's just me again.

Go with New England and you won't be disappointed. Who knows, Intimidator 305 may even have extended amounts of downtime in its first season (wouldn't be out of the question for an Intamin hyper now would it?)

-James Dillaman

Add in driving times and everything (New England is a lot smaller than the more southern states) and I think you should definitely hit up New England.

But NE has terrible traffic. Those short distances can take a surprising amount of time to drive. I guess the OP would also hit pretty bad traffic if he drove south through DC to hit KD/BGW.

I agree with the sentiment that Boulderdash and Bizarro are both better coasters than anything at KD or BGW. But, BGW is a much better park than SFNE or Lake Compounce, by far. To me, SFNE and LC are really boring credit runs outside of those two coasters. I'd rather spend the day at BGW. KD isn't as nice as BGW, but they do have the new Intamin opening up, which I guess means one thing: Don't go early in the season!

To the OP, have you considered adding more PA parks? Kennywood is adding a new coaster next year and is a great park. Also, you could add in a few more PA parks like Waldameer for Ravine Flyer II, and maybe something like Idlewild and Lakemont/Delgrosso's.

You heard wrong then because Bizarro at SFNE is nothing like what you have at Great Adventure, no offense but yours sucks. The audio was only loud on Media Day and a few days after and gradually it got turned down to where it is now. All the effects are always working and aren't unmaintained like at GADV. In my opinion all the effects made the ride better. Espescially the buildings, why? Because the speed you are going at there, close to the top speed, and weaving through buildings and then finally through one is a great experience. Do not listen to what Medusa1861 said about Bizarro at SFNE, they didn't ride it and are basing facts over what they experienced on Bizarro at GADV.

^ Thanks, I never knew I could hear an opinion wrong. And the bigger lapbars that make the ride less fun, that opinion is wrong too? (This opinion came from a source who has been on way more roller coasters than I have.)

And by the way. Superman: Ride of Steel is overrated. It's a good ride, but I like Volcano more. I also hate sound, I feel it ruins the ride. But I guess you can't take that opinion from me, because apparently I'm wrong.

^ Thanks, I never knew I could hear an opinion wrong. And the bigger lapbars that make the ride less fun, that opinion is wrong too? (This opinion came from a source who has been on way more roller coasters than I have.)

And by the way. Superman: Ride of Steel is overrated. It's a good ride, but I like Volcano more. I also hate sound, I feel it ruins the ride. But I guess you can't take that opinion from me, because apparently I'm wrong.

Yeah I agree about the bigger lap bars but SFNE had to add those, they originally had El Toro lapbars but due to the accident of the obese man falling out they had to add bigger ones. Its for safety. How could you like Volcano more, you just get launched up then do a few barrel rolls, what a bucket of joy that is. And yeah your opinion is wrong. You base your opinion on a ride that is nothing like a ride you've actually ridden. The two Bizarro's are completely different. Medusa-Bizarro is a mess of things, nothing makes sense, which its supposed to be like that. Bizarro at SFNE tells the story its supposed to and the theming is good. It is better than any ride you'd find at KD.

At KD you have Dominator which looks good but rough, then at SFNE you have Batman, all the similar inversion excluding a cobra roll, but smoother.

Bizarro and I305 are similar but personally, other than the drop and first turn, I305 looks like a bore.

Plus at SFNE you have some unique flats like Catapult, well actually now there is only one unique flats. They were all prototypes that broke and the companies no longer make parts for them. You have a good flat to coaster ratio. You could do SFNE in about six hours then drive twenty or so minutes to LC which has the amazing Boulder Dash and a ton of good flats.

SFNE and LC are closer to GADv which will make everything better. I don't know this was just my opinion on everything. However at BGE you have Griffon which looks amazing but other than that nothing else looks to fun.

Ok. To get back on topic. MY OPINION on SROS is that it is not very good. And without telling you what a friend told me about the transformation; I feel that sound, especially the Bizzaro soundtrack makes a roller coaster less fun to ride again and can give a headache. Thus putting these two opinions together, I feel that Bizarro is not worthy of your ridership. Also, my previous experience with bigger lapbars is that the rides are less thrilling than rides with smaller lapbars regardless of this so-called "safety" reason.

Also, I believe that the user above me is making invalid points. I believe that you cannot compare Dark Knight to Knight Flight. The two are way too different than to just say "oh they share the same inversions." I would also like to point out that the user above me yelled at me for comparing a rollercoaster i "hadn't ridden" while he is giving a review of a ride that has not even been built yet. I am also under the impression that user above me has not even been to BGE or PKD since he has continually said that those rides, "look good"

My conclusion is that although Boulder Dash is great, Virginia is the better choice. Volcano: The Blast coaster is superb (my opinion).Apollo's Chariot and Griffon are among the best roller coasters in the world (fact). My previous experience involving the parks proved to me that you can spend more time at both PKD and BGE than LC and SFNE.

Now, is that anything wrong about what I said?