TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Water Coaster VS Log Flume

After trying the search button looking up "water coasters" and having over 1400 results I am going to go ahead and just ask.

What makes a water coaster a water coaster and a log flume a log flume?

The reason I am asking is my confusion as to why some are considered what they are. Rode Journey to Atlantis at Sea World in Florida, its a water coaster, rode Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA and it ended up a water coaster, rode Daredevil Falls at Dollywood and it somehow is a log flume. All three have 2 across seating, wheels w/up-stops and chain lifts. What makes the one at Dollywood a flume ride and the others water coasters?

To me a flume ride uses a conveyor to lift the ride vehicles and a coaster uses a chain. Flume rides only roll on wheels when they bottom out, hit the sides and for the drop. At the top of the lift on Daredevil Falls at Dollywood there wasn't even water just track and it rolled on that track all the way around and down the drop till it hit water and floated again.

So if anyone can explain what's what and why. Much appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A water coaster is simply that it is part water ride, part roller coaster. It has it 's water segements, but it also has good drops, turns, and such, and all on track rather than in water. Thiswas a water coaster.

A log flume is your standard log ride... you sit in the boat, float around in the water, and splash down the drops. This is a log flume.

The major difference is that one has a part of the ride where it runs around on a steel track, and the other is always, or almost always in the water. Hope that helps.

~Matthew

coaster.jpg.b01519ea56b25dfba103956eaca7bf29.jpg

Water Coaster...

log-flume.jpg.523ee2fc91ec63ac73dae083bc928d42.jpg

Log Flume...

Water coasters actually have wheels on the boats with upstops, guide and road wheel assemblies, that at one point during the course thread onto a track.

JTA has an entire coaster section in the dark.

Dudley Do Right's drops are tracked, the logs thread onto the track then detach for the free floating section.

for the DD:Falls, I think they have upstops but they don't thread onto a track they just keep the boat from falling off the drop and jumping out of the splash lake.

The only way this question can be answered is by yourself because it all matters on what you define as being a coaster. My personal definition of a coaster is any tracked ride that has at least 1 section of track where the only thing moving the ride vehicle forward is the force of gravity. I personally don't count Ripsaw Falls as a coaster because if the tracked hill after the drop was all that it would need to be a coaster, then Splash Mountain and countless other log flumes should be counted as well.

I think everythink here excecpt that coaster at silver doller city would be considered a log flume. I was alway under the assumption that this would be considered a "water coaster" Even with the other examples such as Shiekra, Griffin, Matterhorn, Dimondback, are all Rollercoasters with a water element. But at their true base they are a straight up coaster.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering how rides like Journey to Atlantis could be considered a water coaster but rides like the Intamin Super Splash @ Gardaland doesn't. They all have fully tracked sections where the complete train and wheel assemblies are moving from just gravity, and they all have chain lifts.

4ma001b7jt76ph5tm1opg0.jpg.c55fa904991e89d203d01558a9f93bde.jpg

Big.jpg.c68372debc4f0b58b80e323e8376af91.jpg

I guesss it's time I put my two cents in concering the discussion about water coaster Vs log flume. So here is my take on the difference about the two.

LOG FLUME - To me, a log flume ride consists of a boat-like apparatus that travels on a trough filled with water and gets lifted up by a conveyor belt system.

WATER COASTER - As for the water coaster, the train you ride travels on tracks, even when the train touches down in water.

Another difference would be ridership: A log flume can only handle up to four riders per boat while a water coaster train can have up to 32 (I think - since I've never ridden on a water coaster before).

That's my take on the subject.

"Don't look at me: I don't ride those things!"

De Vliegende Hollander at Efteling is a real coaster as its always running on the tubular rails - even in the water.

The Mack watercoasters are more like Bobsled-coasters as they're running inside a steel canal - but as boblsed-coasters count I'd count those Mack-like watercoasters also.

On counting coasters: You're right that everyone counts different. For example on duelling coasters if I ride both tracks those are two credits for me - and I also count bayerncurves as they're powered coasters for me even if they're not listed in RCDB.

I count anything listed on RCDB (plus traveling coasters). I know some people only "count" a ride based on what the overall ride type is, so coaster/flume hybrids and dark coasters aren't credits to them, but I count coasters as credits even if they also fall into other ride categories.

There are also water slides referred to as "water coasters" that are not roller coasters, and some parks describe rides like shoot-the-chutes as "coasters" even though they are not roller coasters.

For me the really fuzzy ones are rides like the Mack Super Splashes. They have definite coaster-like attributes but calling them a coaster seems questionable.

Not a big deal, I like coasters and water rides so I usually like these rides and that's what really counts.

This is just another reason I don't count coasters. Everyone has there own ideas on what the differance is between a water coaster and a log flume. To me the bigger question is, Are they fun to ride?

Yeah I totally agree with this! The most important thing is definitely if its fun or not.

• 3 months later...