TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Recommend an App!

Wes

Many people have or are getting the new wave of smart phone or personal media device that allows custom apps to be installed on the device. Apple's iPhone/iPod Touch platform is by far the most successful, with over 100,000 apps available.

But with that many apps, it's hard to find the really good ones. So that's what this thread is for. Recommend any good apps you have or have tried. This isn't limited to just Apple devices, if you have an Android phone, Blackberry, or any other device with an app store, feel free to recommend too!

I'll get this started! Hope we get some really good contributions!

---

Ping is a really good app for people with iPhones or iPod Touches who want to communicate without paying for text messages. It basically works like a text message program, or if you are familiar with Blackberry phones, the messenger on there. Simple and easy to use, and works over Wifi or the cellular data network (if you have an iPhone). A good way to send short messages for those who don't have a text plan!

Link

ping-iphone-app.jpg.ec7602e1580f2a541cbd903cd618c194.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a "well DUHHH!" but Facebook for Blackberry is really useful. I post and check updates mostly from this verses my laptop. Also, if you don't have a picture for someone in your Blackberry address book, this app will use that person's Facebook profile pic as a caller ID pic. Also great for uploading the occasional random picture.

"Poynt" for Blackberry. I use it for my Storm, but I would assume it's available other Blackberry's as well.

It's such a handy app. I seriously use it every time that I travel.

You can type in ANY type of business that you want to find and it gives you a bunch of locations starting with the location nearest to you. You can also search for people, and movies. It uses the GPS built in the phone.

It shows the distance between you and the location, the address, and the phone number. It also lets you call the place right from the application which is handy so you don't have to mess around trying to find a pen and paper.

Check it out. It's free!

I tend to use the Google Maps app for my Blackberry pretty often. It is pretty useful as long as it pinpoints your starting location. However, if you have some smarts and driving sense, you can figure out your way if the first step or two is a little mixed up because the beginning location is off by a block or two.

^ I've used the google maps app more for traffic than directions. However, they really seem to be delayed in updating their info (a good 30 mins or so I'd say). I wonder if the new Bing app keeps traffic updated better

My phone is pretty simple: Facebook, Google Maps, Pandora and YouTube. I think I've also tried about every voice-to-text app available too, haven't liked any of them yet.

btw, I like how the first app for the iphone recommended is one to emulate a blackberry. I also get a kick out of seeing an iphone-like theme is one of the top themes on blackberry websites

I guess I'll be the first android user to the party...

My boss is always raving about Sherpa (not available on the Droid yet). Uses your GPS to guide you to restaurants/stores/etc. around you.

I thought this one was pretty cool too:

http://qik.com/

Stream live (well, ok, not live: 10 second delay) from your phone! It does 480p video on the Droid. Looked pretty good when I tested it today.

I just got the Droid yesterday, so I'm sure I'll add more to this as I get time to test more apps.

I like the 'Be Like Lady Gaga' app, you decorate a picture of yourself with Gaga accesories.

How fancy, I must get this. I also enjoy the Gaga Tap Tap Revenge.

Some other great theme park related apps:

Pocket Rockit - For Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal. It just lists all the songs, including the hidden ones with the numbers to use, along with instructions. Yeah, you can find this info online, but it's fun to have in the park.

WDW Dining - Lists the restaurants and menus for all of the places in WDW theme parks and resorts.

TripCase - You can put all of your flight and hotel info for upcoming trips in here. It will notify you if your flight is delayed.

Wishing Stars - A scavenger hunt that so far can only be used at Disneyland.

Toy Story Mania - This isn't my favorite, but it's still cool to play this game if you want to get your TSM fix.

Mouse World Radio - Music from the parks in WDW.

Pocket Rockit - For Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal. It just lists all the songs, including the hidden ones with the numbers to use, along with instructions. Yeah, you can find this info online, but it's fun to have in the park.

It's also just as easy going on Safari over the 3G network they have in the park and heading to here, ioacentral, or screamscape.

Here are some interesting apps:

The Game of Life ($4.99) - Nice app for your friends and yourself to waste some time while waiting in lines. You can have up to 4 players, and the game itself is pretty long. The graphics are also pretty good with it's full 3D environments.

SimCity ($4.99) - A port of the popular SimCity 3000 with full touch interface. You can have multiple cities saved which is a cool feature, and if you need to close the app quickly for a call or IM, it'll save your place in the game.

Chipotle (Free) - If you like Chipotle, you'll like the app. Order online, pay with a credit card, and choose the time you'll be there to pick it up. You may need some chipotlaway after getting this app.

Rolando 2 ($4.99) - If you like side scrollers such as Mario or Little Big Planet, you'll love this puzzle solving platformer. Easy tilt controls and touch interface with many levels in the game.

Pandora (Free) - Listen to the music you like, whenever you want. It's Pandora! For your iPhone!

RadioBox ($.99) - Search through thousands of online radio stations through popular clients such as ShoutCast or import your favorite online stations straight into it and stream whenever you'd like.

UrbanSpoon (Free) - Don't know what to eat? Shake your iPhone and have UrbanSpoon choose for you. You can pick your location, style of food you're craving, and how expensive. Perfect for those late night moments where you can't figure out where to get your munchie foods.

Wolfenstein 3D Platinum ($1.99) - All 60 classic levels are here to play in this awesome FPS with touch interface. Just as hard as I remembered back in the day.

I'll post more if I find any more interesting ones.

Sway - a fun game perfect for ipod touch/iphone.

aircoaster3d - a great coaster simulator that reminds me alot of ultimate ride.

3d coaster - a game where you play a brakeman on a not so realistic coaster, and need to get the best result. It has many versions like jurassic, haunted, etc.

And you cant go wrong with the wooden labrynth.

The most-used app on my iPhone is Yelp. It's a free app that connects to Yelp.com and allows you to search businesses around you. You click on nearby and a catagory (such as mexican restaurants or car repair shops or bars, etc.) and it comes up with a list of nearby places, with user ratings, map and directions to the business, a phone number you can call from within the app, and more!

It really is very useful, and even has a search function. So if you want to know where the nearest Speedway is (to use your speedy reward points for example) and you're in a place foreign to you, this app is perfect!

-James Dillaman

Here are some of the ones that I like the best:

• *Dictionary.com app- for all you smart people and such (or the ones that just can't spell)

*Dog Whistler- THE best way to annoy your friends

*Flixter- Rate movies, get showtimes from nearby theatres and buy some tickets, it even can connect with the Facebook app and your Netflix account. Yeah, it's pretty much awesome.

*Food Network- For ACErs only

*iTranslate- Easy and simple. Just type something and it will translate it to any language you can think of.

*JellyCar- It's a car made out of jelly, that's all you need to know. VERY ADDICTIVE

*myhomework- Helps you keep up with your school assignments and when they're due.

*Photoshop Mobile- Don't expect to win one of TPRs photoshop contests here. It's just a way to touch up some photos quickly.

*Shazam-Don't know a song? Just tag it and it will figure it out for you. It gives you the option to buy the song, watch it on YouTube, gives you an album review, and a biography of the artist.

There's a Jelly Car 2 out for a while now. Some apps I like are...

Echofon- Twitter client, definitely a step above Tweetdeck for me.

Tap Tap Revenge 2 and 3-DDR for your iPod.

Facebook- A godsend for me when my laptop went through a month and a half of repairs (stupid story, one more problem and it becomes a lemon)

Dictionary.com- Good app, able to be used offline.

And random other apps such as checkers, air hockey, and other stupid games.

Many people have or are getting the new wave of smart phone or personal media device that allows custom apps to be installed on the device. Apple's iPhone/iPod Touch platform is by far the most successful, with over 100,000 apps available.

But with that many apps, it's hard to find the really good ones. So that's what this thread is for. Recommend any good apps you have or have tried. This isn't limited to just Apple devices, if you have an Android phone, Blackberry, or any other device with an app store, feel free to recommend too!

I'll get this started! Hope we get some really good contributions!

---

Ping is a really good app for people with iPhones or iPod Touches who want to communicate without paying for text messages. It basically works like a text message program, or if you are familiar with Blackberry phones, the messenger on there. Simple and easy to use, and works over Wifi or the cellular data network (if you have an iPhone). A good way to send short messages for those who don't have a text plan!

Link

I wish that Andriod had something similar(I think GoogleTalk acts like that but I havent played with it yet).

Canabalt is an insanely fun and intense side-scrolling game. You can play it online at the link I provided. I've only made it about 4000 meters, but I know people who've done double that.

For instant messaging I find BeejiveIM to be the best. A little pricey, but worth it (and on sale this week!). It's multi-protocol and even allows multiple logins per protocol (so you can for example be logged into AIM as your personal and work screen-name). Naturally it supports Push, and is highly configurable.

Cameron.

I think Coastermate for the iPhone and iPod touch is pretty cool. It let's you record the g-forces of a roller coaster and then organize them according to each coaster you measured. All you do is enter the coaster information, then hit start and put your iPhone or iPod in a pocket right before you board, and hit stop once the ride is done.

Other random iPhone apps I use frequently:

Kayak - A helpful travel search.

AppBox Pro - Lots of basic useful things all in one app.

MazeFinger - A quick and fun game.

iheartradio - Listen to a wide variety of radio stations.

Dunkin Donuts locator - It's always good to know where the nearest DD is.

Bejeweled 2 - Quite possibly the most addicting game ever.

One I've been waiting for: Stair Dismount. This was a web game around 2001/2002 and was tremendous fun. Basically you push a guy down a flight of stairs, and get points based upon the damage that is inflicted. You choose where on the body to push, and the strength or the push, and then physics does the rest.

You can re-watch your most resent fall, and even send snap-shots through e-mail or post them to Facebook. Hate your boss? Well then just stick his face on the Dismountee and go to town! If all that isn't enough, the sounds alone are .. well .. killer

Cameron.

• 2 weeks later...

Live stream video from an iPhone 3G or 3GS to the web: uStream iPhone App - FINALLY!

Last week I thought about posting a link to the new Knocking Live app, which is iPhone to iPhone video streaming, but I was really hoping that the uStream app would be approved; it's been floating around jail-broken phones for about a year now, but it's finally been approved for the app store.

I hope to see TPR members using this a lot during the upcoming coaster season for Streaming Trip Reports.

Cameron.

PS: It's free, too.