TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My drawing of Hersheypark (with a surprise)

Thanks Chris for the suggestion. After you mentioned about that email address, I figured that's probably the route I should take. Hershey has been using the same map since 1999, but since 2006/07, it's been getting progressively worse (too much space between Boardwalk and Wild Mouse, the SEA-qual doesn't look the greatest, and the path in the Trailblazer area is also messed up, which wasn't before).

Heck, if this thing became reality, even for souvenir purposes, how would the color be added, unless that was done by computer. The reason I never colored any of my drawings was because of the headache it would be when the park would changes different things, thus making it tough to change it on the drawing. Thus why I stuck to regular pencil.

And thanks to all of you, again, for all the support! I may just have to send them an email today.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a daunting task, but if the drawing were scanned in pieces (I assume it's huge) and then opened in Adobe Illustrator and pieced together, it could be used as a template to redraw everything in vectors over top of it. Color could be added in the process as well. And since vectors art is easily edited, rides and buildings could be added or deleted and color changes would be pretty simple.

I re-create hand drawings into vector art on a daily basis for my job, so I know that it is doable...it would just be time consuming (but wouldn't take as long as the original drawing took).

Mmmmpjhhhhp-pmmmmmphmmm!

*Picks jaw up off floor*

There, that's better. Those are incredible. Mere words cannot express how good that art is. Have you considered sending this out to other parks as an example of what you can do?

For that matter... you're good enough to get a career or hobby started doing theme park art. You've very good.

Squid

• 1 month later...

Well it's almost Christmas and that means it's time to reveal my tissue layover of my Hersheypark drawing - Christmas Candylane edition:

Here's an overview of what I've done. As you can see, I simply traced over the open areas of the park, added some decorations here and there, as well as the N.O.E.L. light show. Rides that only operate during the event are shown.

The entrance area. I've added little decorations in there, something that you would see if you visited the park at Christmas.

As you can see, there's no Comet or Great Bear.

Comet Hollow, along with the N.O.E.L. light show, the Kissmas Tree, and one of the Fun Slides they set up under Great Bear's barrel roll.

Santa Clause Lane, the Santa-themed overlay to the back of the park during Christmas.

The Twilight Express, as well as Santa's Stables.

I hope you enjoy the pics. Let me know what you think.

Really? I also went to art school and earned my Associate's Degree in Specialized Technology. The bad thing is, a majority of those good jobs are in the big cities. I don't want to move to the big city. I hate the city - lol! So I guess you can say I'm also an artist/graphic designer. If you have IM, feel free to exchange. Maybe we can chat sometime.

Wow! These are astonishing! Such a fantastic job!

I really admire your dedication and patience... So many times I've tried drawing park maps and ran out of steam halfway through (unless they were on, like, an A5 piece of paper).

I'm also an artist, and I hope that one of my steps on the way to becoming a famous cartoonist will be drawing a map for a park.

(And as long as we're on the subject, I'm a graphic design student too!)

Really? I also went to art school and earned my Associate's Degree in Specialized Technology. The bad thing is, a majority of those good jobs are in the big cities. I don't want to move to the big city. I hate the city - lol! So I guess you can say I'm also an artist/graphic designer. If you have IM, feel free to exchange. Maybe we can chat sometime.

Definitely! Can't we start social groups on this site as well? I think it would be a cool way to post coaster art and regular art too.

• 1 year later...

Thought this might be a good time to revive this topic. I have been working on my Hersheypark drawing off and on whenever I have the time to do so. Right now, I've updated it with the very few 2010 modifications that were done to the park. Hopefully there will be more (along with a new flat) in 2011 that I can make more adjustments this coming season.

As of this time, I'm currently working on the parking lot area. It's not finished but I'm providing you with a few photos of the work in progress. I'm not expecting a completion date as of this time, like as I said before, I'm working on this whenever I feel up to it or have the time to do so.

Now onto some more photos:

1235546815_hp-mapmain.jpg.aa5dc83eaffa028bfc0688b556c8dbf6.jpg

Here is an overview for those of you who have followed me through this project.

hp-map2010.jpg.e1d0d71c7d28387454bf36b30b6af21d.jpg

I know, there are only two changes to the 2010 version...the red circle indicates the new Lemon Drop shop next to Comet's station. The green circle indicates the new basketball game that was installed next to Coal Cracker's entrance.

hp-map2.jpg.476b243be2a05260e9f0697f3560e3ac.jpg

Here is a view of the original park map section, along with the parking lot extension to it. As you can see there is quite a bit of work still to be done to it.

hp-map3.jpg.1d5ed24c8d6ce4262a4092181d3ae05a.jpg

A closer view of the parking lot area. Chocolate World is in the upper portion of the photo and Giant Center (not quite half finished) is at the bottom of the photo. This gives you an idea of what it takes to work on a section of the drawing.

hp-map2012.jpg.aa6dcd9afa11d8876721c8e44c299d39.jpg

I highlighted the area where all the stakes and markings for Attraction 2012 in yellow, so hopefully this will give you an idea of what's going on.

hp-map4.jpg.679b645c392b740044dfff78ab22d7dc.jpg

Here's a better version of the updated area without the circles. Hopefully you'll be able to spot the changes. :)

Edited by HPCrazy

A special news announcement to you all....

I decided to put the current drawing project on hold for the time being and here's why.... I came up with an idea of re-transforming my drawing of Hersheypark. Right now, I've been showcasing the park in its entirety and how it looks today in its current form. I've been thinking of how a lot of us may like to see how the park looked in the 1980's so I sat down and gave this some thought. I would like to do a vintage 1989 version of the drawing showcasing of what the park looked like during that season.

Here is what the drawing looks like right now (or from page one of this thread):

What I plan on doing is tracing over the park to where it stopped at the time (Western Chute Out and Canyon River Rapids), leaving blank areas where former rides were located/relocated. After this stage is done, I'll draw in the removed/relocated rides and structures in those areas, followed by the final stage which would be to retrace it via carbon copy paper onto a final sheet of paper that would roughly fit that area of the park onto it. As of right now, I'm in the beginning stages of the first step which consists of tracing a rough sketch over the drawing onto tracing paper that I can transfer to the final sheet of paper. I'm creating a list of all the changes I can think of regarding how things were in 1989. Feel free let me know anything that can be added or changed and I'll edit this list when possible:

RHINELAND:

-Sky Ride

-Small kiosk inside the main entrance that is no longer there.

CARROUSEL CIRCLE:

-Giant Wheel

-Tilt-A-Whirl (old location)

-Starlight Arcade

-Carrousel Cone

-Old shade arbors

-Small kiosk that was located between the Craftbarn and Dutch Fudge shop. The Get the Picture booth resides a few feet from where this kiosk existed.

MUSIC BOX WAY

-Old Music Box Theatre

-Starship America (old location)

-Earthmovers

-No Milkmen stage (can someone help me out as to what was in this area around this time)

-Cyclops

COMET HOLLOW

-Rotor

-Whack-A-Mole stand looked different, more like how the game stands out in Music Box/Midway look like now

-No Great Bear...weeping willow trees that used to reside along the creek

-Mini Golf Course that used to reside where Great Bear's barrel roll and S-turn are now

-Comet's old exit

TOWER PLAZA

-Name of whole area changed to Minetown in the 90's but was still referred to Tower Plaza I believe prior to that

-Himalaya

-Coal Shaker (does anyone know where I can find a pic of the ride building)

-Old Penny Arcade/Minetown Restaurant

-Sky Ride

-Coal Cracker's old exit and on-ride photo booth

PIONEER FRONTIER

-No Sidewinder (what was here before it was built? My thoughts were a catering area?)

-No Storm Runner (area was off limits to the public)

-Rodeo

-Canyon River Rapids

-Western Chute Out

-Wells Cargo

-Conestoga

-No Food Court (although all the buildings were there, several housed kiddie rides, food and other things I believe)

If anyone can help me out via photos or direct me to sites that have photos from around this time period, your help would be greatly appreciated! I do have some photos that were donated to the old HPCrazy site that I've kept and I'll use those as reference (as well as a few of Minetown 1996/97 with the old Skyride station and Coal Cracker exit).

As I complete each stage, I'll try to provide some photos of the progress leading up to the completed project. When completed, this will also be a permenant version of the map as there won't be a need to update yearly as I'm doing now with the current version. As recently said, there will be updates throughout this project to completion. Let me know what you think!

• 6 months later...

I don't know the layouts of other parks as well as I know Hershey. I've tried in the past and gave up because I just don't have the resources as I do with Hershey. I'm probably just sticking to this one right now because I know pretty much where everything is supposed to go. Having everything to scale (or really close to it) really helps me out when doing changes and adding new things. I just am not able to go that far with other parks.

I don't know the layouts of other parks as well as I know Hershey. I've tried in the past and gave up because I just don't have the resources as I do with Hershey. I'm probably just sticking to this one right now because I know pretty much where everything is supposed to go. Having everything to scale (or really close to it) really helps me out when doing changes and adding new things. I just am not able to go that far with other parks.

Ahh, i see. Well i say stick with hershey, because these are amazing!

• 2 weeks later...