TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

That's how things are done in Brooklyn! Zamperla sure is getting the hang of this.

Zamperla may be handling this the wrong way, but I agree with Larrygator. That place was an eyesore. Sure, it was a Coney Island staple, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be very hard to find another vacant lot and "rebuild" there. Anyways, I'm all for Zamperla's Coney Island project, but they need to cooperate with local businesses, not destroy them. If Zamperla wants Coney Island to become nice again, how about they build those businesses fancy-shmancy, new buildings? Probably not going to happen. At least they didn't try to swing a wrecking ball towards Nathan's

Zamperla was given control to decide which existing business in the amusement zone fit into their vision of the new Coney Island. That included Nathan's having to fill out the proper paperwork. Yes, it was possible that Zamperla could have said no to Nathan's but there would have been a much larger uproar, than with the smaller vendors.

On a typical summer night, there is a line at Nathan's right up until the 1-2AM closing time. Nathan's draws people into the area and Zamperla knows the value of having Nathan's bring in foot traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

The newest coasters at Scream Zone will be named Steeplechase Coaster (Zamperla MotoCoaster) and Soaring Eagle (Zamperla Volare). Wording in this article gives the impression that Luna Park and Scream Zone will be run as two separate entities, although I personally hold out hope that a a combo Pay One Price deal will be offered. Funny that the reporter mentions these as the first new coasters since 1927 (probably ignoring kiddie coasters), but forgot that Tickler was built last year.

Names for Scream Zone coasters revealed

Beach weather is still several months away, but Coney Island is already preparing for the addition of its newest amusement park, to be called Scream Zone.

Scream Zone will open in April and include two roller coasters to be named Steeplechase Coaster and Soaring Eagle. They will be the first new coasters in Coney Island since the Cyclone opened in 1927.

"I can't wait for it," said Dick Zigun, who runs the Coney Island Museum and the Mermaid Parade. "It marks the real change from the old Coney Island to the new Coney Island."

Coney Island's developer Central Amusement International is opening a new amusement park this coming April, but the company has recently come under fire for evicting long-time Coney Island businesses like Shoot the Freak. WSJ's Joseph De Avila reports.

Construction on the Scream Zone, located along the boardwalk between West 12th and 15th streets, will begin next week by Central Amusement International, a unit of ride maker and amusement-park operator Antonio Zamperla SpA of Italy.

The company has a 10-year lease with the city to operate Scream Zone and another amusement park, Luna Park, which opened last year on the former grounds of the Astroland amusement area.

The success of Luna Park, which drew 450,000 visitors in 2010, has been credited with helping Coney Island achieve its best attendance numbers in years.

While Luna Park offers family-friendly rides for young kids, Scream Zone intends "to push the envelope of the roller coaster experience in Coney Island," said Valerio Ferrari, president of Central Amusement International.

The amusement-park operator is investing $12 million on the three-acre Scream Zone site, which is now vacant after being cleared of batting cages and a mini-golf course. Overall plans for the new park were announced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg last year, but details about Scream Zone weren't previously available.

Central Amusement International's plans for a new Coney Island have drawn criticism in the past. In November, the company evicted many longtime tenants—including Shoot the Freak and Ruby's Bar and Grill—to make room for new vendors. Some of the businesses are fighting the evictions; a court hearing is scheduled for Feb. 16.

"We're told that there's a new 'vision' for Coney Island, but that vision was never shared with us," said Linda Cronin-Gross, a spokeswoman for the group. "We will continue to fight to stay where we belong—right here on the Coney Island boardwalk."

Mr. Ferrari declined to elaborate on his company's plans for the boardwalk because of the court fight.

"The fact is that the boardwalk is going to be revitalized and revamped," said Tom Corsillo, a spokesman with Central Amusement International. "It's going to be a great experience."

City Council member Domenic Recchia, whose district includes Coney Island, credited Central Amusement International for bringing jobs to the neighborhood and for attempting to create a year-round destination at Coney Island.

"They are looking for new ideas," Mr. Recchia said. "You can't have all the same thing."

Scream_Zone_Coaster.thumb.jpg.9d68b47d604877661815a567d5c17f66.jpg

Artist's rendition from skycraperpage.com

Edited by larrygator

Have they given any time frame as to when Scream Zone will actually open?

Chris - the article says April, but I wouldn't expect someone from California to pick up on that.

However, that timing is predicated on breaking ground soon. I stopped by the area two weeks ago. For the most part the lot they are building upon is empty, but they still need to rip out concrete from the area where there used to be a batting cage and mini golf course.

I don't think the lawsuit from the 8 evicted tenants in the area will hold up Scream Zone, as it doesn't appear that any of those vendors were within the Scream Zone footprint.

Have they given any time frame as to when Scream Zone will actually open?

Chris - the article says April, but I wouldn't expect someone from California to pick up on that.

However, that timing is predicated on breaking ground soon. I stopped by the area two weeks ago. For the most part the lot they are building upon is empty, but they still need to rip out concrete from the area where there used to be a batting cage and mini golf course.

I don't think the lawsuit from the 8 evicted tenants in the area will hold up Scream Zone, as it doesn't appear that any of those vendors were within the Scream Zone footprint.

Duuuuuumb. Haha, I don't know I missed that cause I read the whole article.

I like how they are trying at least a little not to just throw down a carnival. Although logistically that is what they are doing, I really like how they are getting the motorbike themed to steeplechase or the spinner themed to a tickler, even if it is very low-budget stuff. Makes it nice.

Wording in this article gives the impression that Luna Park and Scream Zone will be run as two separate entities, although I personally hold out hope that a a combo Pay One Price deal will be offered.

RCDB has Scream Zone listed as a separate park as well. I'll definitely have to begin my Road to CP trip early and visit the area. I know concept art can change, but it looks really good.

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_stories/132600/ny1-exclusive--luna-park-developer-takes-over-cyclone-operations

Thrill seekers have been coming to ride the Cyclone for decades. Now as the landmark coaster gets ready to mark its 80th anniversary this year, it'll have a new operator – Zamperla, the same Italian ride manufacturing company and developer of Coney Island's Luna Park, which sits across the street.

"For us, the Cyclone is the coaster. People know this coaster around the world,” said Zamperla president Valerio Ferrari. “Many coasters have been named after this particular one."

In November, Carol Albert, whose family has been operating the Cyclone for last 37 years, told NY1 the wooden coaster was too costly to run and wanted out of the licensing agreement she had with the city. Now she's out and Zamperla says its been given control for a year until the city goes through a formal bidding process for the site.

Zamperla says it plans to make several hundred-thousand dollars in repairs and improvements.

"We're walking into something that we don't know how much it's going to cost," Ferrari said. “We know the ride requires some repair, but once we will do these tests, we will figure it out."

As the logistics for the Cyclone are figured out, Zamperla will also be busy erecting a modern, extreme coaster at a lot on Stillwell Avenue, the site of the new amusement park Scream Zone. Steel tracks have been delivered and next week they'll be erected.

NY1 has also obtained video of the other three rides coming to the park. There's Turbo Force, which spins in full circles 132 feet in the air. There's the Human Sling Shot that catapults brave riders almost 200 feet in the air. And there's the Steeplechase coaster, a throwback to Coney Island's heyday.

"Steeplechase was a beautiful coaster right on the same site we're going to put the new one in,” Ferrari said. “Ours will be a steel coaster. The original was a wooden one, but the horses are going to be beautiful like the original one."

Coney Island's opening weekend is Palm Sunday, April 16th. All the rides, both old and new, are expected to be up and running.

I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers. The trains are retro themed and hey a kid can dream can't he?

I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers. The trains are retro themed and hey a kid can dream can't he?

Millennium Flyers are for GCI designed coasters only! So says GCI. No further discussion needed there.

So based on the article Adam posted and the artist rendering I found yesterday it appears that Turbo Force is slated instead of the original idea of a double level go-kart track.

Edited by larrygator

The evil geniuses behind the Volare running the Coney Island Cyclone? They might not think Cyclone is painful enough already.

On the Cyclone trains, I like them, they seem really well padded which is very helpful, and they are classic. I don't know if it's the track that makes it such a rough ride, in 2008 the train seemed to be bouncing on the track like bang, bang, bang - rather than the classic jackhammering that wood lovers crave.

I say Zamperla add as many credits as possible, I'm going to need them this July/Aug if I want to make 500.

"Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly."

Although they would never ever happen for the Cyclone, MF trains ( ) can go on other coasters according to GCI's website.