TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

This looks like an excellent (and unexpected) addition. Good for them!

I have yet to ride a new-generation Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster, but they seem to be leaps and bounds better than the ones from the early 2000s.

They are way better than any ride with a 39" height requirement has any right to be. Vekoma has really turned a corner as of late.

• 3 months later...

Been a bit, I hope everyone is safe & sound during these times. I've got around visiting Coney Island seeing I haven't been there since mid 2019, I'm looking forward to see these new attractions comes to fruition. Speaking of new attraction, I bet most of you heard that Wild River is completely gone and went to ride heaven or ride hell depending on how you viewed the ride. Now there's some new attractions that taken up the space that Wild River use to be, and a little development on the water attractions take a look at these photos.790290272_20210326_1812151.thumb.jpg.eac28f80633a241e8c9f28bba6fd0e34.jpg829221102_20210326_1812391.thumb.jpg.d9f537e08d8089bc8c129670fdab698b.jpg1199010281_20210326_1812531.thumb.jpg.ff771ddde8ee8bc7c9ab8ee951cb1a19.jpg1410450631_20210326_1813361.thumb.jpg.69bd75ed8b0cde7644116a4dbdbbb999.jpg1982697967_20210326_1825231.thumb.jpg.70bbb866af84654840f5b4a131bf3e81.jpg359466135_20210326_1826571.thumb.jpg.d9b8d3eb1880891a9b6d226b2f333e63.jpg514394759_20210326_1818011.thumb.jpg.2584e1030ce9a160808561b0da603bac.jpg1509461759_20210326_1817571.thumb.jpg.6f813efcebc5ee4581ac54a7713d871e.jpg1022295227_20210326_1818561.thumb.jpg.fbca7d5cd4ffa2403d8937f8445aedcf.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update of the construction on Phoenix at Deno’s. Photos taken earlier today. 

Overall, Deno’s was running as per usual except for the limited access. I attempted to ride the cyclone on the way out, but they wouldn’t accept my Luna Card from 2019! Looks like I’ll be arguing with customer service. I’ll be back next weekend to check out Luna Park. 

022D835A-E740-4E48-BC0E-978AF6ABFBB2.jpeg

57D29A02-9F14-4E23-963E-8B663F97B2D2.jpeg

I mean, there's no reason to be arguing with customer service. Luna Park has made it pretty clear on their website that they are not doing individual rides this season, you can only purchase wristbands for timed access. I'm not personally a fan of it and probably won't be visiting this season because of it, but I get why they are doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coneyislandchris said:

I mean, there's no reason to be arguing with customer service. Luna Park has made it pretty clear on their website that they are not doing individual rides this season, you can only purchase wristbands for timed access. I'm not personally a fan of it and probably won't be visiting this season because of it, but I get why they are doing so.

That’s not entirely true. You can still pay individually to ride the cyclone and thunderbolt. Since the “thrill” wristband disappeared from their website, I’m assuming they will also go that route for the rides in the Scream Zone. 

Not to mention the ticket is only good for 2 hours!  I have never been to Luna Park, so I don't know how lines are, but that seems a bit rushed to me.  Deno's has the same policy- wristband only and 2 hour time limit - but their park seems a bit easier to get through in 2 hours than Luna.  Heck, I'd be perfectly happy riding the Wonder Wheel and Spook-A-Rama for 2 hours!       

I ended up stopping by Coney Island this past weekend.  The park is now offering a Thrill Wristband.  They say it's good for 2 hours, but it was actually good a little over that (the remaining time shows when you scan on your first ride).  It's good for everything in the Scream Zone plus the Thunderbolt and Cyclone.

The park severely limited attendance, so I thought it was a great deal.  Sling Shot appeared to be the longest line (roughly 8 groups waiting), but I stuck with the coasters.  Cyclone was a walk-on.  The only issue there was that they would not allow you to sit in the back car unless the front two were filled.  This was a policy I first encountered in 2019 and it seems like it's sticking around for now.  Thunderbolt was the longest coaster line at 10-15 minutes.

I also stopped by Deno's and noticed Phoenix construction is moving along quite quickly.  I'm looking forward to seeing this ride open later this year and finally give that park an adult coaster.

And for the credit whores out there, Deno's and Luna Park have each opened their new kiddie coasters for 2021.  They're among the smallest kiddie coasters in the world, but adults are more than welcome if they're willing to pay.

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

The owner of Denos was on a podcast and he talked about proposals from RMC, Intamin, and a Chance Hyper GTX. I really hope he posts on here or somewhere what they looked like. A Hyper GTX would have been great on the east coast!

I agree something like that would be great as a thrill-seeker, but most of the crowds I saw at Deno's this past weekend were kids and families.  The Vekoma suspended thrill coaster is a great fit since it appeals to all ages and has a very low height limit.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:48 AM, grsupercity said:

The owner of Denos was on a podcast and he talked about proposals from RMC, Intamin, and a Chance Hyper GTX. I really hope he posts on here or somewhere what they looked like. A Hyper GTX would have been great on the east coast!

did he just mentioned them or went into some details about them?

On 4/16/2021 at 11:40 AM, BitterOldHag said:

Not to mention the ticket is only good for 2 hours!  I have never been to Luna Park, so I don't know how lines are, but that seems a bit rushed to me.  Deno's has the same policy- wristband only and 2 hour time limit - but their park seems a bit easier to get through in 2 hours than Luna.  Heck, I'd be perfectly happy riding the Wonder Wheel and Spook-A-Rama for 2 hours!       

Deno’s does not offer wristbands. There is a two hour reservation window to enter the park, but it is still pay-per-ride. 

We were back this past weekend at Luna Park. Granted we were with a kid’s birthday party, so it was slow moving, but with the sanitizing stoppages, the 2 hours goes by fast! I’m not sure you would be able to do everything. The kids waited about 15-20 minutes for the Circus Coaster and the line for The Tickler seemed quite long. Also several rides were having pretty persistent mechanical issues. Hopefully that will improve after they warm up for the season. 

I didn’t make it down to the Scream Zone. Do they let you pay per ride at those rides as they do for the thunderbolt and cyclone?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jarmor said:

did he just mentioned them or went into some details about them?

He didn't go into detail. He said RMC and Intamin proposed a single rail and Chance had a GTX. But Vekoma ended up winning out

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So I am considering a visit to Coney Island this week (Thursday) for the first time ever and was wondering if anyone could help out with a few questions I have.  

1) How hard is it to find parking near the attractions?  The map shows a Coney Island parking area, so I assume that would be a good place, but if anyone else has someplace better, I'm definitely open for suggestions!

2) Luna is offering a 4 hour wristband that includes the Cyclone, Steeplechase, drop tower and Thunderbolt for $52.  Is that enough time to get all the good rides in?  

3) I hate to be the guy that asks "what are the lines like?", but... what are the lines like on June weekdays? :)

4) Deno's looks like the only rides I need to do are Spook-A-Rama and of course the Wonder Wheel.  I would like to do each twice.  Can that be done in an hour?

5) And finally, I was going to stop at American Dream on Friday.  I remember reading someone here saying they frown on single visitors.  Is that still a thing?  I don't want to be chased down by security on my first visit to the NYC area!  

Thanks for any assistance, I greatly appreciate it! 

3 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

So I am considering a visit to Coney Island this week (Thursday) for the first time ever and was wondering if anyone could help out with a few questions I have.  

1) I went a few years ago and parking wasn't bad. There is parking near Cyclone, We went with a payed parking location. I believe there is a couple of those nearby and we payed for a few hours. 

2) You can DEF get your rides in within 4 hours, that's all you need I feel. 

4) Deno's can DEF be done within an hour, maybe less

5) IDK about the single thing but I've heard sketch stuff from American Dream Employees.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

1) How hard is it to find parking near the attractions?  The map shows a Coney Island parking area, so I assume that would be a good place, but if anyone else has someplace better, I'm definitely open for suggestions!

Also worth keeping in mind that if you happen to be staying at a hotel in NYC, Coney Island is very accessible via Subway, with four separate lines terminating right by the park.

• Like 2

^ I had read somewhere here that security was harassing this poster because they were by themselves.  Only thing I can figure out is that since it’s a kid-themed park, they might not like single guys wandering around.  I just don’t want to pre-purchase the ticket only to get kicked out for looking like a creepy old man, although to be fair, I look like a creepy old man anywhere I go 🙄

All I want to do is ride the coasters, drop tower and maybe the Air Race tower (I rode the Unicoaster at Mall of America.  Won’t make that mistake again! ).  I did realize that I have to take I-80 to get to NYC and back, so maybe I should just scrap the mall and go to Knoebels instead!  

Let them kick you out, then make a boat load of money in the lawsuit.  Chances are they won't actually kick you out though, just harass you.  Yet another reason why I refuse to give that dumpster fire any of my business.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

^ I had read somewhere here that security was harassing this poster because they were by themselves.  Only thing I can figure out is that since it’s a kid-themed park, they might not like single guys wandering around.  I just don’t want to pre-purchase the ticket only to get kicked out for looking like a creepy old man, although to be fair, I look like a creepy old man anywhere I go 🙄

All I want to do is ride the coasters, drop tower and maybe the Air Race tower (I rode the Unicoaster at Mall of America.  Won’t make that mistake again! ).  I did realize that I have to take I-80 to get to NYC and back, so maybe I should just scrap the mall and go to Knoebels instead!  

Before the covid shutdown, security would approach anyone alone in Nickelodeon Universe, especially if you took a photo.  I was asked for my ID multiple times.

I didn't have an issue in my last visit inside Nickelodeon Universe, but mall security came up to me in my car when I chose to eat my pizza there instead of in a crowded food court in the middle of a pandemic.

• Sad 1

I think by this point, security at American Dream is used to enough single enthusiasts coming into Nickelodeon, hitting up the coasters, and bouncing. There's so many Youtube videos of people doing exactly that. You'll be fine as long as you're not doing something sketchy like hanging around the kiddie rides and taking video of other people's children.

Just a quick word of warning; I visited the mall with my wife and kids last Friday night to check out the mini golf courses. While they still are advertising parking rates being $2 after two hours, when it came time to settle up at the pay stations before leaving, that number mysteriously jumped to $4. I don't think $4 parking is going to break any banks but just be aware.

• 1 month later...

Visited the park on Friday evening for the first time in four years. Deno's new coaster Phoenix was great. Wonder Wheel was fun, but I feel like we used to cycle two consecutive times without any loading/unloading before... not one. Hard to swallow $10/person. Spook-A-Rama is always a hoot.

The star of the evening was the Cyclone. Got a front row ride at night. Out of nowhere, this ride shot way up my top woodie list. Such an incredible and unique ride. Air time was *solid* and the laterals into each turn is still super aggressive in the best way. I can honestly say I was so impressed and I know I didn't feel that way after my first ride back in 2010. Thrilled to see it running the way it was intended to run (no brakes, etc.)

• Like 1