TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

I'm late on this, but I went to Coney Island for the first time ever on Roller Coaster Day, and I was elated to have finally experienced the Cyclone. We rode it twice, and had a smooth ride sitting in the second-to-last row, and a very rough one in the fifth-to-last row. Weird, but whatever. We got a great pic on it, too, which rarely happens.

Thunderbolt might be the worst coaster I've ever been on, and I've been on over 100 or so by this point. At the end, my head hit just left of the headrest and I wondered for about five minutes if I had a concussion. The coaster elements were not that remarkable, either. Eff you, Thunderbolt.

Loved the Steeplechase. Better than KBF's Pony Express, in my opinion. The flying coaster was mildly entertaining.

The only experience more underwhelming than Thunderbolt was eating a Nathan's hot dog. I might've enjoyed the fries more. I definitely wasn't enjoying the indigestion after. But like the Cyclone, I've finally experience it.

I hit my head on the headrest as well, during the Stengel dive. You can see they only padded a relatively small area in the middle and left the sides bare plastic (which, for the record, is extremely dumb). Still enjoyed it though, just not as much as I was hoping.

^ ^^ Ok, that makes sense. It's not something that happened to me during my ride, probably due to my posture. I'm a big guy and was kinda worried about the puny restraint over all those hills. I definitely understand Elissa's comments of the restraints not being "entirely safe" haha.

• 1 month later...

My father had the opportunity to take a helicopter ride around NYC taking off from Floyd Bennett Field, on their return trip they passed by Coney Island he grabbed these picture from about 800-1000 feet up!

Hope you enjoy!!

P.S. Don't make the vertical photo comments, he's not very tech savvy, so the fact that he got them is a moment in its self!

image.thumb.jpg.e172678344f691a7bdcba4a79011be11.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ebcf03eacfa0678543a4bd4c24656d39.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.da570a158a28a2d2da45429aa6fd5612.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.931a05d3861d01c97dd7593a039ce2cb.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.674a28d5e337a3b881adc948cfe5fe35.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I might be going later on today. I just wish it would warm up a little bit. NY is currently in another cold spell, and this chill plus the seabreezes from the Atlantic might make riding a bit uncomfortable. I'd love to end my offseason today as opposed to Friday, but we'll see.

So, it looks like the Cyclone got stuck on the lift hill and had to be evacuated. Nothing major for us, but I guess most people riding at the time were freaking out.

www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Cyclone-Gets-Stuck-on-Opening-Day-Forcing-Riders-to-Take-Long-Climb-by-Foot-297930981.html

I don't even understand why this is news! I feel more and more that people are just being dramatic for the sake of it. I mean, this...

"It was terrifying, because I was up there and everything was spinning," Gabriella Centeno said after she reached solid ground. "I didn't know what to do."
"I'm scared of heights," she said, "but with their help I made it down. ... This was insane."

Give me a f'ing break! They weren't even at the top of the *85 Foot* lift hill!

Another news story quotes a 13 year old like he's some sort of ride expert....

“I was on the ride with my friends and I was excited we were going up. We were really happy. And then it just stopped,” Peter Manjgaladze, 13, said.
“It was a little bit scary because, since it’s wood, the whole ride was shaking,” Manjgaladze said.
“People said this was the first time it ever happened,” Manjgaladze added.

This is what smartphones have done for humanity.

“It was a little bit scary because, since it’s wood, the whole ride was shaking,” Manjgaladze said.

I don't mean to put myself on a higher plane of existence here, but I wonder if anyone noticed that the structure is made of steel?