TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Very comfortable restraints although the nylon shoulder straps (barely) seemed out of place.

They look like they're there to keep the upper half of the riders body upright and prevent them from smashing their face on the metal hand holds.

So...this is 2014. And I would LOVE to know why it still seems to be so hard, at least for some companys like Zamperla, to create a coaster, that is at least a "little" smooth in the first year of operation

I mean...is it REALLY that hard ?

Okay....Zamperla and others may be a lot cheaper than....say a B&M or a Mack....but there seem to be lightyears between those companys when it comes to precision and quality...

This was a 10 Million dollar coaster... which for only 2000ft is NOT cheap. Source - RCDB

The ride seemed average in terms of smoothness. It reminded me a bit of Rip Ride Rocket in that aspect.

• 1 month later...

I really try to be positive most of the time or at least stick with the "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all".

I *LOVE* what Zamperla and NYC have done with Coney Island. It's clean, you can go to the bathroom, there are fun attractions, and it's safe. I'll totally go back many times.

That being said...

Thunderbolt was one of the WORST coasters I have ever been on (and that says a lot). It was painful in multiple ways and didn't even seem entirely safe. I really hope something can be done over the off season to fix this ride as the layout has promise. If nothing is done, I hope they don't sell anymore to other parks.

I have to say, riding it the week after it opened and then at the TPR event, it amazed me how much it changed since opening... I know we brought it up to the engineer who was there, who tried to turn the conversation into something positive, but it know I wasn't alone.

I can also say that doing a few back to back rides as we did that morning, there is definitely a good train and a bad train already, and any outer seat was significantly worse than the center seats...

I hope Zamperla has learned a lot from this ride, and tries to fix it over the off season, as well as learn for its future rides...

I have to say, riding it the week after it opened and then at the TPR event, it amazed me how much it changed since opening... I know we brought it up to the engineer who was there, who tried to turn the conversation into something positive, but it know I wasn't alone.

I didn't realize anyone else in our group had ridden it earlier in the season when I asked the engineer that question. Personally I was embarrassed that it was running so bad, since I raved about it to Robb/Elissa after I initially rode it.

I really try to be positive most of the time or at least stick with the "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all".

I *LOVE* what Zamperla and NYC have done with Coney Island. It's clean, you can go to the bathroom, there are fun attractions, and it's safe. I'll totally go back many times.

And that's why I want them to get the Contract to takeover Rye Playland (And other parks)

Thunderbolt was one of the WORST coasters I have ever been on (and that says a lot). It was painful in multiple ways and didn't even seem entirely safe. I really hope something can be done over the off season to fix this ride as the layout has promise. If nothing is done, I hope they don't sell anymore to other parks.

I'm curious, which aspects of the ride didn't seem entirely safe?

^Interesting. I actually imagined they would be a step forward from intamin's skyrush restrains with the swivelling feature. But yes, the belts do look like they were installed in a rush.

^ No. This ride is a classic case of "what could have been". Terrible restraints, a rough ride, and hard plastic headrests are not a successful combination. My head slammed so hard into the headrest I don't know how I wasn't concussed.

^They feel exactly the same as the SkyRush "put all of the pressure into one small spot on your thigh" restraints...and then a bit worse!

You thought the restraints actually hurt worse than the Skyrush restraints? Personally I thought they were a huge improvement.

In any case, it's really a shame that whoever designed the cars was clearly not up to the task. The layout is great, but the cars make it rougher than an SLC. I still enjoyed the ride a lot but was hugely disappointed in the roughness. But is anyone really surprised given they also made that horrid flying coaster sitting right next door? Talk about a death trap!

But on a more positive note, how about that new Spook-A-Rama?? I loved the crap out of that thing, if it didn't cost an arm and a leg I would've ridden it over and over. They did such a great job with the renovation, it's easily my second favorite dark ride I've ridden (second only to Knoebels). To anyone who hasn't been recently, make sure you don't miss it.

I went to Coney Island this past Friday and I had a good time. I was on a bit of a time constraint so luckily the coasters were walk ons. First up was Thunderbolt. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it was going to be average based on the layout. I was wrong and Thunderbolt was a lot of fun. The best parts were the zero g roll and the airtime hills. I can't wait to ride it again. The restraints were strange, but comfortable. I didn't understand the purpose of the very loose shoulder straps, but it didn't hurt the experience.

I don't think I have read a positive review of Volare's, but I made a point to ride Soarin' Eagle. It was a weird experience, but fun. I didn't find it rough, but I can see why others would.

I rode Cyclone for the first time 2 years ago and it was great. I didn't enjoy it as much this time because I had to sit in the middle car. It was still fun and much smoother.

I also decided to check out the freak show, which was decent. I have seen better shows at other parks, but I can't complain too much for $5.

I, too, was a little taken aback by Thunderbolt. The middle seat in the front was a pretty good ride, but in the back it was very "shuffly," and awkward. I hope that they get the trains tightened up or whatever they need to do to get it right, because I really liked the layout and the airtime was great. I also liked the last corkscrew.

As far as the rest, they have done a great job cleaning up Coney Island and making me feel like I won't get Chlamydia from touching things. Part of me kind of misses the "seediness" of the area - but the bigger part of me appreciates the great work that they have done.

With TPR a few weeks ago - Thunderbolt was rough but okay. Cyclone....OMG. They have done a great job with it! Ended up riding twice in a row in the back seat (right of passage ) and three times in the 2nd. If you had told me I would take 5 rides in a row on the Cyclone a couple of years ago I would have said you were crazy. Yes - there is still the "death drop" but otherwise it was running great!

The Volare sucked. The Pony Express ride was fun. The mouse was a mouse. Air race is FANTASTIC. Spook-o-Rama is absolutely freaking amazing and the Wonder Wheel was terrifying as always.

I agree that there is an odd shuffle on the way out (particularly in the zero g roll) but I find the turn-around and the return trip to be a blast. I also find the restraints to be a vast improvement on Sky Rush's, which were PAINFUL to my thighs. I do agree, however, that the cars could use a bit more padding.

Not quite the "major" coaster I've been hoping for this park, but still a giant leap forward from the other small steel coasters Zamperla has added to the park.

I, too, was a little taken aback by Thunderbolt. The middle seat in the front was a pretty good ride, but in the back it was very "shuffly," and awkward. I hope that they get the trains tightened up or whatever they need to do to get it right, because I really liked the layout and the airtime was great. I also liked the last corkscrew.

As far as the rest, they have done a great job cleaning up Coney Island and making me feel like I won't get Chlamydia from touching things. Part of me kind of misses the "seediness" of the area - but the bigger part of me appreciates the great work that they have done.

With TPR a few weeks ago - Thunderbolt was rough but okay. Cyclone....OMG. They have done a great job with it! Ended up riding twice in a row in the back seat (right of passage ) and three times in the 2nd. If you had told me I would take 5 rides in a row on the Cyclone a couple of years ago I would have said you were crazy. Yes - there is still the "death drop" but otherwise it was running great!

The Volare sucked. The Pony Express ride was fun. The mouse was a mouse. Air race is FANTASTIC. Spook-o-Rama is absolutely freaking amazing and the Wonder Wheel was terrifying as always.

Wait, which drop is the "death drop"?

I went to Coney Island Luna Park last night on a whim with a friend of mine and I have to say that the Cyclone felt smoother than it did at the TPR event, but Thunderbolt's first three elements were excessively shaky compared to where it was a few weeks ago...

I really hope they have a plan for the off season to fix this problem, otherwise this ride will not age well at all...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I am heading to NYC on the 20th, and have been reading the past few pages, namely about Thunderbolt. So far, what I am getting are mixed reviews, and while that is going to be typical of any ride really, considering it's a new coaster it is a bit worrying, so I am wondering if I should ride it now or go next year and hope they've done revisions? I'll be definitely riding Cyclone - that's the main purpose of the trip - and probably will do the Volare (it can't be THAT bad, can it?).

Questions though:

- As stated, should I wait until next year to see if they've done anything to Thunderbolt or should I chance it and go on it?

- Is the 4 hour wristband enough or should I get credits? Reason I ask is if the coasters are on the wristband.

- Are Scream Zone and Luna Park both included with the wrist band? My intuition says yes but I want to be sure.

- How are the go-karts?

- How is Deno's? So far I'm planning to only go to Luna Park but I want to get the full experience.

- How quick is the Subway? I'm planning it to be an hour trip from Time's Square to the park; also, N line or Q line?

I can answer a few of these. Yes, both areas are included on the wristband. However thunderbolt I don't believe is included in the wristband- correct me if i'm wrong. 4 hours should be enough, especially with the time you're going. And the volare isn't too bad at all. I thought it was a fun ride.

Ok, so I am heading to NYC on the 20th, and have been reading the past few pages, namely about Thunderbolt. So far, what I am getting are mixed reviews, and while that is going to be typical of any ride really, considering it's a new coaster it is a bit worrying, so I am wondering if I should ride it now or go next year and hope they've done revisions? I'll be definitely riding Cyclone - that's the main purpose of the trip - and probably will do the Volare (it can't be THAT bad, can it?).

Just get a lap in on Thunderbolt, the three bunny hops are worth the cash alone if you like airtime (some of the strongest in the state). They say revisions are coming but honestly, having ridden it, I just do not see it getting much better. If it was some simple thing with the cars that needs to be fixed you'd think they wouldn't have to wait for the off season. It's nice to be optimistic, but I wouldn't say it's worth putting off, because you never know, it might even be worse next year. Keep your head away from the headrest and you'll have a good time, unless you're really sensitive.

Also be sure to do the front row on Steeplechase, it's actually a lot of fun and quite smooth. Unless you count credits I would strongly recommend skipping the volare and doing Zenobio (awesome ride) or one of the other flats instead. Soarin Eagle is the most bafflingly awful coaster I've ever ridden. In fact, maybe you should ride it just for the experience... just know what you're paying for, it's violently, terrifyingly rough. That plus you're literally lying down in a prone position (not sitting in a chair that's been tipped over), which hurts your stomach and your hip bones (if you're bony like me), and it doesn't feel like you're strapped in so you're holding on for dear life... the whole ordeal was rather traumatizing.

- How is Deno's? So far I'm planning to only go to Luna Park but I want to get the full experience.

The wonder wheel and Spook a Rama are both historic attractions that are absolute must-dos. Honestly, for me they were the best parts of the visit. The owners have really put their hearts into the place, no one is more deserving of your money. Also, it's right there, and not any more expensive than Luna Park, so no point in skipping it.

- How quick is the Subway? I'm planning it to be an hour trip from Time's Square to the park; also, N line or Q line?

Google maps is your best guide, gives very accurate arrival times. It's a pretty long haul, longer then I expected given it's a subway. An hour sounds about right.