TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

The fourth time is a charm as I finally rode Thunderbolt today. My thoughts.

I love the swiveling lap bar, I this something like this would have made SkyRush more enjoyable for me as is better disperses the pressure.

The hard plastic seats are not uncomfortable, but you are not snug in the upper body part and sway quite a bit. I think the only other coaster where I felt like this with my upper body was the Bullet Coaster in Happy Valley Shenzhen.

Those black shoulder straps probably saved me from cracking my face on the restraint on my lap. Those airtime hills on the return are violent. I ride with my hands up and the coaster tried to throw me straight out of the front of the car. I actually might ride with my hands on the grab bar next time I ride.

The tight turnaround feels like it pulls a lot of g's. One of the most forceful turnarounds on a coasters.

I very liked the second half of the ride, but something was off in the first half. Not horrible, just off. Maybe it was due to my upper body sliding around so much.

People might say it is expensive at $10, but it's a much better deal than the price of some random kiddie coasters.

^Thanks for the review, Larry. This ride has "slipped under the radar," probably because of the opening of so many big coasters elsewhere (such at Goliath and Banshee). I'm looking forward to riding this one during TPR's Mini East Coast Trip.

I am so stoked! Glad to hear the trim brake didn't kill the second half of the ride, could you feel it at all?

I honestly wish this is what Knoebels would've gone with, looks much more forceful than what they're getting.

Let's ride the new coaster at Knoebels before bashing it... since it's at Knoebels it's probably going to be great. Plus you can't fault them for going with a coaster they knew would be good. Because of Zamperla's unique position this park isn't just a revenue generator for them but also an opportunity to try new things and get the attention of park owners without trying to convince them to build a prototype ride from a company that has never proven that they could build anything that ambitious.

Nobody knew what to expect from this ride until it opened. Knoebels is making a big investment and they didn't want to take a big risk on that investment... who could blame them?

The tight turnaround feels like it pulls a lot of g's. One of the most forceful turnarounds on a coasters.

Interesting. Now that I watch a POV again it does look like it pulls some nice Gs but I had totally missed it before.

I just got back from an afternoon at Coney Island. Showed up around 1pm, and headed straight to Nathan's for Hot Dogs and French Fries.

The Cyclone is really running great this summer. I look forward to them finishing the retracking of the ride. I know many people feel that retracking this icon is sacrilegious, but I disagree. I feel like it is making the Cyclone another great reride at Coney Island.

Now, onto Thunderbolt. Man is it a great ride. It is not going to reinvent roller coasters, but it is a great ride. The restraints are very comfortable, and I can tell that the straps might be able to ratchet closed in the future, but for now they just seem to be flying all over the place. The lap bar swivels very nicely, and you feel very safe in the seat. It is not nearly as wide open feeling as I would have liked, but It does look and feel good. The ride from the center seat is MUCH better than the side seats. Enough for me to notice a difference between two rides back to back.

As you crest the lift, you have an AMAZING view of Manhattan, straight ahead is the World Trade Center, and the rest of the skyline goes back diagonally to your right. Before you know it your heading straight down and there is a bit of a jerk right before the loop. The first half of the ride feels huge, flying high in the sky, twisting and turning in ever direction. The turn-around pulls some nice G's as it pulls out and the bunny hops are INSANE! They truly pull stronger negative G's than Sky Rush (which I was on only a week ago).

Hopefully I will be getting back in a few weeks for some night rides, which I have not done on either ride!

They truly pull stronger negative G's than Sky Rush (which I was on only a week ago).

I can't believe I read that! Didn't Skyrush have the strongest airtime on any ride?

Let's ride the new coaster at Knoebels before bashing it... since it's at Knoebels it's probably going to be great. Plus you can't fault them for going with a coaster they knew would be good. Because of Zamperla's unique position this park isn't just a revenue generator for them but also an opportunity to try new things and get the attention of park owners without trying to convince them to build a prototype ride from a company that has never proven that they could build anything that ambitious.

Nobody knew what to expect from this ride until it opened. Knoebels is making a big investment and they didn't want to take a big risk on that investment... who could blame them?

I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, but what does Knoebels new coaster have to do with Thunderbolt?

As far as I know, the coaster at Knoebels is going to be a Zierer (Like Wicked at Lagoon), while Thunderbolt is a Zamperla.

While I like the fact of Zamperla stepping it u a notch with building a bigger coaster, I do have to say that to me Thunderbolt doesn't look comfortable at all (Judging from the POV)

Just remembered this.

1 - ^^^You said the airtime felt stronger than skyrush and that the restraints were comfortable. Was that true for even the airtime hills? Because some people have suggested that one of the reasons why skyrush's restraints are uncomfortable is because with such strong air, it it impossible to be fully comfy. If so, I guess we have the confirmation that it doesn't have to be unpleasant.

2 - I know the trim after the first hill has been mentioned but has anyone noticed the one on the drop?

I can't believe I read that! Didn't Skyrush have the strongest airtime on any ride?

It's strong, I think what felt better about it is how quick the moment was... Skyrush does sustain it longer, but the quick extreme pops of airtime are just insane, definitely the best part of the ride is the turnaround and those two hills!

I know, I'm sure it'll be fun, and obviously I'll reserve judgement till I ride it, just saying it could have had a more exciting layout, like Thunderbolt's, with a couple really strong airtime hills. The layout was more what I was referring to, not manufacturer.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, but what does Knoebels new coaster have to do with Thunderbolt?

As far as I know, the coaster at Knoebels is going to be a Zierer (Like Wicked at Lagoon), while Thunderbolt is a Zamperla.

While I like the fact of Zamperla stepping it u a notch with building a bigger coaster, I do have to say that to me Thunderbolt doesn't look comfortable at all (Judging from the POV)

I was responding to the post immediately before mine.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a quick trip to Coney Island yesterday. I hadn't been there since before Luna Park and Scream Zone opened.

Of course the primary reason was to ride the new Thunderbolt, but there were 4 other new credits for me there.

Parking was plentiful, and I did park right next to the Cyclone, with a great view of all that gorgeous new wood! More on that later...

Since this was a coaster trip, we decided to buy the $40.00/46 credit package- yes this park is EXPENSIVE! It is also very clean, with very courteous employees.

I have been coming here since the 60's (I was fortunate to ride the Tornado, Thunderbolt, Virginia Reel, and Bobsled!), and although much smaller, the Parks are very well run. Even super-clean bathrooms!

Scream Zone:

Thunderbolt- I was very keen to ride this new coaster. No line to speak of, and we sat in the front seats of one of 3 trains, after dropping off some stuff in the FREE "fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo". The restraints seemed very comfortable- almost like B&M clam-shell Hyper Coaster restraints. We were stapled in pretty hard, but there is lots of padding, thankfully.

The vertical lift is very cool- neat to see and hear the brake sections go in and out as you ascend. No real pause at the top and you're off and dropping.

Unfortunately, the rest of the coaster is VERY rough. I was quite surprised, expecting a smooth ride. It is very jarring, and there's lots of vibrations too.

The layout is very interesting, and the train flies along the course. The "Stengel Dive"-like transition is very cool. The turnaround is fast, and the return run is FULL of negative G's and an inversion that really whips you through. I would have liked it a lot more if it didn't beat you up so much.

All in all a good first attempt, but needs some finesse. This would have been the perfect spot for an Intamin Megalite, my favorite, but this is Zamperla-Land, after all!

Soarin' Eagle- Your typical Volare Flying Coaster. I had been on this one at Elitch Gardens, so I knew what to expect. Here, they stop all the trains in the station, which makes the clunky boarding much easier than out in Denver, where the trains were constantly moving.

Steeplechase- A racehorse themed Motocoaster with a flywheel launch. I had never been on one of these, and the launch was quite forceful. The course is full of positive G's, and a couple of spirals. It's also very short.

Luna Park:

Tickler- My first Zamperla Spinning Mouse. It was fun, but the second block brake totally killed the last part of the ride.

I much prefer the Gerstlauer Spinners with their more interesting layouts.

Circus Coaster- A Zamperla Kiddie Coaster. It's always fun to get that kiddie credit. A fun little coaster, that gives you a double circuit ride.

I told my room mate that this would fit in our backyard!

Cyclone- The total surprise of the trip!

I have been following the re-hab by GCI and was wondering how it would be. They have over 2/3 done now, and it's a thing of beauty to see and smell all that new wood. The trains have all new upholstery with LOTS of padding. I wish all trains were this comfortable! We sat in my favorite next-to-back seat.

But how would it be? GLORIOUS! The first drop was so smooth. I never thought I'd see the day! The rest was smooth too, until we hit the last section that wasn't re-tracked, on the lower section along W 10th St. OUCH!!! Talk about being slammed! But then back to new wood and glass-smooth, for a great ending.

Unfortunately no more re-rides where you pay right from the train. It's just so great to see an old favorite getting some TLC!

So all in all a fun trip, where I picked up 5 fast credits, bringing my total to 317!

You guys are going to have GREAT time when you stop here!!!

Edited by glucky11801

Soarin' Eagle- Your typical Volare Flying Coaster. I had been on the one at Elitch Gardens, so I knew what to expect. This one stops all the trains in the station, which makes the clunky boarding much easier than out in Denver, where the trains were constantly moving.

Not sure if you count relocations, since you rode the same coaster from Elitch, it was moved to luna park/screamzone/coney.

I went to Coney Island with my family on Friday night and we had a pretty good time in spite of the crowds. We actually didn't have to wait very long for anything, although that may be explained by the fact that the rides are indeed very expensive. There's a 4-hour wristband option, but it doesn't include "extreme" rides as they call them, such as Thunderbolt or Cyclone.

Thunderbolt was really good, and it's nice to see more rides like this that prove steel coasters don't need to be 200-400ft to have great layouts. However, I agree with the sentiment above that it is kind of rough, especially for a new coaster. If you don't mind being thrown around a little, then it's definitely worth riding.

The trains have all new upholstery with LOTS of padding. I wish all trains were this comfortable! We sat in my favorite next-to-back seat.

But how would it be? GLORIOUS! The first drop was so smooth. I never thought I'd see the day! The rest was smooth too, until we hit the last section that wasn't re-tracked, on the lower section along W 10th St. OUCH!!! Talk about being slammed! But then back to new wood and glass-smooth, for a great ending.

Unfortunately no more re-rides where you pay right from the train. It's just so great to see an old favorite getting some TLC!

I was there on 7/8, and I can reiterate! Great work has been done on Cyclone.

Seriously.... SO. MUCH. PADDING. It was like sitting on a couch seat. Knee pads, lap-bar pads, cushioned seats and backs all were included. The ride was very well done until the last couple hills where you will greatly appreciate the padding.

As far as thunderbolt goes, this ride kicks ass. Such an intense layout packed into a tight footprint. Very comfortable restraints although the nylon shoulder straps (barely) seemed out of place. The airtime hills were especially awesome. I didn't think it was as rough as the above two posters though.

So...this is 2014. And I would LOVE to know why it still seems to be so hard, at least for some companys like Zamperla, to create a coaster, that is at least a "little" smooth in the first year of operation

I mean...is it REALLY that hard ?

Okay....Zamperla and others may be a lot cheaper than....say a B&M or a Mack....but there seem to be lightyears between those companys when it comes to precision and quality...

Let me say that I DO think that Thunderbolt kicks A$$. And it has a great layout as well, cramming lots of excitement into a small footprint.

I'm at a loss why the trains tracked so roughly. There was just such a powerful vibration and jerkiness. Not what you would expect in a new Steelie...

So...this is 2014. And I would LOVE to know why it still seems to be so hard, at least for some companys like Zamperla, to create a coaster, that is at least a "little" smooth in the first year of operation

I mean...is it REALLY that hard ?

Okay....Zamperla and others may be a lot cheaper than....say a B&M or a Mack....but there seem to be lightyears between those companys when it comes to precision and quality...

I'm sure it really is difficult, actually.

Roller coaster design is easily imitated, and rarely perfected. It's relatively easy with the right set of programs to draft up a layout and do various code checks, but when you get down to actually designing how to handle vibrations and deflections so that they have minimal impacts on riders, that gets expensive quick. It takes either a lot of engineering hours, or more materials, or both.

I have a suspicion Zamperla did a lot more imitating than start-from-scratch designing on this system. It seems like there's been a lot of sudden convergence in coaster design lately...

Living 15 minutes from Coney Island/Luna park and visiting the park frequently, I can say that what Zamperla has done with the place is great. They have really breathed some life into a place that was dilapidated and run down. The Steeplechase is a fun, intense ride for it size, although a bit short. The Volare flyer I prefer to Superman Ultimate Flight, I kid you not. It is just more fun to me. The Cyclone is still the masterpiece it has always been and the re-tracking by GCI has only made it better, it almost feels new.

A little less then two weeks ago I rode the Thunderbolt for the first time. I saw the construction of the ride in previous months and waited anxiously for it to open. The layout looked great and I couldn't wait. The three row trains looked less awkward then I expected and the seats where quite comfortable. The restraints took me off guard as I never experienced anything like them before. Although they were quite comfortable and gave you plenty of freedom to move, the restraints felt quite cheap, being that they were plastic. The vertical lift hill was awesome having enjoyed them on Fahrenheit and HollyWood Rip Rocket Ride. The first drop was fun, although I expected a bit more airtime. The vertical loop was forceful which I loved, then the train made its way through the zero-g which is where it shuffled a bit an was a little painful. The Stengel Dive and Funky turnaround were awesome with a lot of forces. Now, the best part of the ride came after the turnaround. The first airtime coming out of the turnaround....Holy Sh**! All three airtime hills were great as well as the corkscrew.

Yes the ride isn't a game changer by any means, and it is a bit rough, but a good rough. It lets you know you're on a ride. I think what Zamperla did for Luna Park with this addition was great and I'm excited to see what the future holds for Luna Park. Overall I would say the Thunderbolt is a solid 7.5/10