TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Honestly, what's more amazing is that the centrally-mounted on-ride video can finally be considered what the ride actually looks like to a rider. Middle seat for the win!

Exactly. And being in the middle seat in the middle row is the closer you can get from being at the center of mass of the train! /nerdgasm.

Going to be heading to the park for the first time Monday. Is there parking near the park? Can I do everything with the 4 hour wristband?

Ā 

Cheapest parking is in paid spot where there used to be meters but now you have to walk to a kiosk (which takes cash or credit card) get a ticket and put that paid parking ticket on your dashboard, but you might have to return to refill as not all machines allow for more than 2 hours of parking. There are some spots on the street a block or two away, but they can be hard to find with alternate side of the street parking rules. The parking signs also don't always make perfect sense. Parking tickets run about $50 in New York and you will be ticketed if parked illegally.

Ā 

4 hours is plenty of time on the wristband at Luna Park. Most rides should be walk-ons as public elementary and middle schools have not let out let. Then again you might get stuck on a day where a public school or two takes a field trip to Coney Island. Although you might not need 4 hours at Luna Park, you could spend more time at Coney Island with the other attractions not on the Luna Park wristband. Deno's WonderWheel park has the iconic WonderWheel and SpookHouse (and a kiddie coaster) Scream Zone has three coasters when you count Thunderbolt. There are a few independent rides like Saturn 6, El Dorado bumper cars and the restored B&B Carousell that are worth trying if you like that type of stuff.

Ā 

To get the whole Coney Island experience try Totonnos Pizza at 1524 Neptune Avenue (they only sell whole pies and it is cash only).

Ā 

And if you are a real credit whore don't forget the Wacky Worm at Adventurers FEC which is only one exit away on the highway.

Just got home a bit ago and managed to get out and ride Thunderbolt today. I gotta say that this ride was really good, exceeded my expectations. It wasn't rough at all and the pacing was really good. Something I found unique and smart was the clamshell part of the restraint is actually on a swivel and swings freely, this allows the entire restraint to be in contact with your lap and makes it very comfortable. Those airtime hills give some serious air as does the turn around, it is a very stellar ride and I would recommend people get out and check it out. Snapped a couple pictures from my phone, the ride was down due to fireworks from the baseball game so I didn't manage to get the night ride I wanted.

image.thumb.jpg.17d48fec6c9a742f4e40f9a74addc589.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.76f685f142a50eee97baea7a98e4cd88.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.d3fad7c8b1e426736d2ab62532919b63.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.dd39e688fb0746fbfb3fbb9aca8a3459.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7f74545dc1e5d3fbcb32830605563a1b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a416928df586fd6f7b13d7820bd28a9d.jpg

Something I found unique and smart was the clamshell part of the restraint is actually on a swivel and swings freely, this allows the entire restraint to be in contact with your lap and makes it very comfortable.

OMG I'm so becoming a coaster designer! (Just kidding) No, really, I had actually imagined that before while I was thinking of a way to "fix" skyrush's restraints. I just wasn't sure it was doable.

Great to hear it wasn't rough as the POV led to believe.

Next week I'm visiting SFNE and Lake Compounce. I'm glad I had a flex day at the end so I could squeeze in a visit to Coney Island to try this thing. It looks awesome.

Ā 

The POV looked great, but it also reaffirmed everything I hate about fisheye lenses on video cameras lol.

I got a chance to ride it yesterday and have to say it greatly exceeded my expectations. Some of the transitions were a bit jerky, but it was still smoother than I expected given Zamperla's history. The turnaround element and the final corkscrew provided some great sensations. I rode in the front middle seat and the final corkscrew felt like I always imagined the B&M heartline roll is supposed to feel - you float and the car just rotates around you. There's also a few great airtime moments and there is a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline from the top of the lift. It's a great addition to the park, and on opening weekend late on a Sunday afternoon, the wait was only about 30 minutes with two cars running.

Thunderbolt did not open today. There were guys from the manufacturer working on it all day. How disappointing to drive all the way there and pay for parking and everything and it not be open.

Ā 

I stopped by on the way home at around 4:30 and I got the feel that it would not open. I didn't bother to even ask anyone. I'll try again later this week.

I just called the park before stopping on the way home. Thunderbolt is day to day right now. The person I spoke with suggested calling before heading to the park. Just a heads up. As this is Zamperla's new showpiece, I'm sure they are working diligently to get it up and running.

Edited by larrygator

I'm going to the NY Aquarium on Saturday and I plan on riding Cyclone after I leave the aquarium. How is the line for Cyclone on a Saturday evening?

Ā 

Normally you might not have to wait for more than a train or two max. But Saturday June 21st, is the Mermaid Parade, Coney Island is very busy during this event so all bets are off on wait times.

I called the park today before I left work at 3PM and confirmed Thunderbolt was running. As I approached the coaster at 4:10 the coaster was running with passengers. When I got to the coaster's ticket booth at 4:15 it had just closed and someone was pulling down the gate closing the ride. O for 3 so far.

Went out to Coney Friday evening, got there around 8:30pm and the Thunderbolt was not running. There were quite a few people in line and along with 4 or 5 maintenance men working on car 1 there was also a full crew of Luna Park employs on the loading platform. We decided to stick around for a while to see if it would open. It reopened up at about 9:15pm and we got our first rice in the front row just as the Friday fireworks were starting.

Ā 

While walking around waiting for it to open i noticed they added one lonely trim brake just after the first airtime hill.

thunderbolt7202014_1.thumb.jpg.2ac6cdfae4821336370b3b58f3c17c0a.jpg

thunderbolt7202014_2.thumb.jpg.aab73c6ac50ae37068211ea93fafb210.jpg

Yeah I totally called that. I'm not too worried since the first hill will be unaffected and by the looks of the videos, they could burn off a LOT of speed with that trim and the last two hills would still deliver solid air.

Ā 

Plus, if the ride was TOO good then it would just suck even more that every reride will cost you ten smackers.