TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

That first picture is probably the reason that I'm not working in roller-coaster construction or maintenance.

10390469_10154156689030573_7128680357581801972_n.jpg

The ride looks good, though.

Edited by cfc

That first picture is probably the reason that I'm not working in roller-coaster construction or maintenance.

Haha! I actually would like to try something like this

^in the New York weather?

New York can get very hot in the summer. Already we're having a lot of days in the 70's and 80's. In June, July and August it's in the 90's or above more often than not. It can get very humid too, especially in August.

okay, I mostly visited so far in May/June and while it sometimes was nice there were also days were it was raining cats and dogs - so reminded me a little of North Sea climate here in northern Europe. Did not know it gets that warm in high summer...

And I personally would like to see more rides than a waterpark...

I can see how Luna Park could make some serious dough on a water park. But is it a good idea to have a water park that close to the stadium?

And another thing: Since Luna Park is basically Zamperla's big test site, does a rumoured water park mean that Zamperla is going into the business of water slides? Or will they just have a few water slide companies like Proslide come in and do the job?

I think about this stuff way too much

I can see how Luna Park could make some serious dough on a water park. But is it a good idea to have a water park that close to the stadium?

You bring up a good point, but the New York Penn League almost exclusively plays night games. This year the Cyclones only play 2 day games at home all season (they do that every once in awhile so they can have camp-days and school groups go). They do have a few 5:00 starts on Sundays but for the most part they only play when the waterpark would be closed anyway... and like I said earlier it's rare to see a home run with any distance. They usually just end up being wall scrapers as most of the players are rule 5 draft guys who are used to metal bats, have no plate discipline and are just getting acclimated with the league. If the park threw them a little cash or even bought a few signs in the outfield it probably wouldn't be a big deal to make them start every game at 7:00.

It's actually a fun league to watch but the skill level is only one step up from rookie ball.

And another thing: Since Luna Park is basically Zamperla's big test site, does a rumoured water park mean that Zamperla is going into the business of water slides? Or will they just have a few water slide companies like Proslide come in and do the job?

I think about this stuff way too much

I see them outsourcing it to a waterpark manufacturer like Proslide or Whitewater or NBGS or whoever. They did bring GCI to retrack Cyclone. Mack brought B&M and GCI to design rides they didn't design before. The flume at Luna Park was Arrow I believe.

Everything you hear about the remainder of the plot of land between the Thunderbolt and the stadium is pure speculation.

My understanding is that when NYC sent out the RFP and leased the land to CAI it was only for the footprint of the Thunderbolt.

NYCEDC today announced the release of an RFP seeking the development and operation of amusement rides, game booths or other entertainment attractions at a vacant site located along W15th Street, between the boardwalk and Surf Avenue, in Coney Island. The site, which is approximately 45 feet wide by 860 feet long, is located in the heart of Coney Island’s amusement core and sits directly between the newly expanded Scream Zone and the under construction Steeplechase Plaza. NYCEDC anticipates leasing the site for a term of 10 years, although proposals may suggest other terms. Here's a link to the original press release soliciting proposals. LINK

If the becomes a waterpark it will have to be a small one (more likely a few water play structures) and I expect a vast majority of the visitors will take public transit or walk to the park. It gets oppressive hot in the area and the reason people have flocked to Coney Island for years is the beach. The beach gets packed during the dog days of summer and a tame waterpark would be a safer option for the little ones than the ocean.