TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

The loop looks like it has a lot of supports, just like Parque de Atracciones' Tornado.

By the way, I still don't get the point of having a 90º lift hill when you are not going to have a 90º (or plus) drop.

By the way, I still don't get the point of having a 90º lift hill when you are not going to have a 90º (or plus) drop.

It saves a lot of space compared to a traditional lift hill, and it's more exciting to a bunch of people too.

^You're right but I kind of get what he is saying. I'm okay with a 90º lift + 90º drop but I think having a vertical lift and a less than vertical drop would just look, well... weird

That's what I think about The Smiler's second lift (even though that is sort of different because of the roll thingy)

The rain stopped just as I got to Coney Island today so I took some photos, but I was overcast and foggy, so I don't have to apologize for the crappy photos this time.

I really hope this ride delivers more than the Volare models did.

Seriously! A flaming bag of pooh would deliver more than a Volare model.

IMG_20140516_160845.thumb.jpg.61b7da7a0bd9d5f0aa2dfa22c4c4e8ff.jpg

Rumors of the loop being completed are true.

IMG_20140516_161121.thumb.jpg.1fd8bd6879152486a244e3d500b420d1.jpg

A crane was moving part of the sign, but I didn't stick around to see the results.

IMG_20140516_161008.thumb.jpg.8441abc13f598a0e275c82f4995856df.jpg

I took photos from all possible angles, except the angles blocked by preparations for tomorrow's Brooklyn half marathon.

IMG_20140516_161129.thumb.jpg.c7ec86e8bd538a4f7b4d4b62cf233ccb.jpg

I would estimate that 80% of the supports are in place along with 60% of track pieces. Pure estimates.

IMG_20140516_161501.thumb.jpg.f047e214109048bd8aa31bee042053be.jpg

Supports for the turnaround are practically against the existing sidewalk on Surf Avenue.

IMG_20140516_161616.thumb.jpg.294ef47f355daa92fa44136346102ae6.jpg

One last glance looking out to the ocean.

^You're right but I kind of get what he is saying. I'm okay with a 90º lift + 90º drop but I think having a vertical lift and a less than vertical drop would just look, well... weird

That's what I think about The Smiler's second lift (even though that is sort of different because of the roll thingy)

HRRR at Universal Studios Orlando has exactly that - a 90º lift with i'd guess a 70º drop. It does look rather strange but rides fine.

HRRR at Universal Studios Orlando has exactly that - a 90º lift with i'd guess a 70º drop. It does look rather strange but rides fine.

Yeah, I totally forgot about it. It does look strange, to me. (although not as strange as a vertical lift with a... let's say swooping drop would look)

^but the X-Car has lapbars and with that you can excuse some roughness. Unless I am mistaken Thunderbolt will get OTSRs...

So far, everything points to overhead lap bars like on the newer El Locos.

Isn't thunderbolt supposed to have lapbars too? Seeing the drop and the loop (which seems very tall and circular, meaning that there could be hang time on the top) lap bars would take advantage of them. Anyway, they're getting it up fast.

Seeing the drop and the loop (which seems very tall and circular, meaning that there could be hang time on the top)

Yeah I noticed that too. Given the height of the drop it looks like there will be some hangtime (or, at least, weightlessness) in the loop.

Isn't thunderbolt supposed to have lapbars too? Seeing the drop and the loop (which seems very tall and circular, meaning that there could be hang time on the top) lap bars would take advantage of them. Anyway, they're getting it up fast.

These seats were shown at IAAA last year. Looks like lap bars to me.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400336138.019254.thumb.jpg.8bd78601d43f201eff38ba619b9da4cc.jpg

This is just perfect. I really want to travel to NY and check it out when its opened! I though Zamperla wasnt good with coaster stuff, but this one definitely changed my opinion. Cant wait to ride this coaster! Has the perfect combination of inversions and airtime, and the cars look wonderful

^They do look similar, in a way. I actually also noticed that, but they are a bit different (even if you exclude the fact that they are attached to the seat rather than the floor)

Honestly, I figured a flaming bag of Eeyore would be better.

But I don't get what people don't enjoy about Volares. I've been on two (Canada's Wonderland and Coney Island) and I actually thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Are they world class? No. But I enjoy going on them, and I love staring at all the exposed mechanisms for the ingenious spiral lift system. It's not like I don't have anything better to compare them to, I have almost 250 credits under my belt and I have gone on a big chunk of the top 5 Mitch Hawker steel and wood coasters.

Either I'm insane, or most enthusiasts are overly picky about the smoothness of a ride. Oh well, less lines for me.

But I don't get what people don't enjoy about Volares. I've been on two (Canada's Wonderland and Coney Island) and I actually thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Are they world class? No. But I enjoy going on them, and I love staring at all the exposed mechanisms for the ingenious spiral lift system. It's not like I don't have anything better to compare them to, I have almost 250 credits under my belt and I have gone on a big chunk of the top 5 Mitch Hawker steel and wood coasters.

Either I'm insane, or most enthusiasts are overly picky about the smoothness of a ride. Oh well, less lines for me.

Im with you, I didn't find it a bad ride. Pretty fun really. The spiral lift is really cool.

^ and ^^ I will refrain from calling anyone stupid or crazy.

However, saying that a Volare is "thoroughly enjoyable" or "pretty fun" should never be uttered by an intelligent and/or sane person.

Ok, i'll level it down a bit from pretty fun, to just fun. Better? I honestly didn't think it was a bad ride. I don't get the hate.

Im with you, I didn't find it a bad ride. Pretty fun really. The spiral lift is really cool.

I don't hate them either. There's plenty of worse coasters (SLC, Boomerang, Ninja @ SFOG, Mean Streak) and I think the main dislike of them is that the bars hinder the view when riding. I imagine that if someone made a spread out layout version of a Volare (Flying Superman) The transitions could be much smoother and better.

I don't hate them either. There's plenty of worse coasters (SLC, Boomerang, Ninja @ SFOG, Mean Streak) and I think the main dislike of them is that the bars hinder the view when riding. I imagine that if someone made a spread out layout version of a Volare (Flying Superman) The transitions could be much smoother and better.

A Woman Once Told Me "Some Men Like to be Beat." Different Strokes for Different Folks! lol Personally, I'm not a Glutton for Punishment. lol

Some update from the Thunderbolt Rising facebook page

10296917_816098118417624_5475604128160682258_n.jpg

Thunderbolt signage is up

10363337_816124211748348_9216258779046849992_n.jpg

Work on the Stengel dive. Was probably finished this day.

The only parts need to be done are the dive loop and one of the bunny hop.