TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

So I was rewatching the animation provided for the ride and I noticed that there seems to be a hold at top of the lift like the ones on B&M dive machines. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Ā 

Ā 

That's the old layout for Thunderbolt. I believe theyre doing the one showcased during the IAAPA below

Ā 

Ā 

and it looks like there will be no pause at the crest like B&M's dive coasters.

I have been pondering a visit to Coney Island this summer as well as catching a Broadway show and a pizza tour. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable (safe and clean) place to stay in the city where parking doesn't cost you your unborn child?

Ā 

Or is it better to stay outside the city limits and take a train or subway in to see and do what you want?

Ā 

Despite the fact that I have lived in NY state my entire life, I have only been to NYC once and that was on a bus trip through work. Basically an NYC virgin here...

A few construction pictures that I took today.

IMG_20140507_164006.thumb.jpg.b0df0a790b8ac6042c7556a005414b0d.jpg

The supports are going up for the loop de loop. The crane in the middle was moving track pieces into place (I couldn't stay long to wait for the money shot). The heavy machine on the far left was moving support pieces. The guy sitting on the orange track is doing nothing.

IMG_20140507_164128.thumb.jpg.b1614aa2852645b717fb40fe029c8249.jpg

Workers were temporarily taking down the construction wall on the boardwalk as I was passing and got this exclusive photo. That's right it is exclusive, try to find it anywhere else.

IMG_20140507_164405.thumb.jpg.9952d580678d99193071e9a983caccf6.jpg

However, I would have suggested taking down the wall before the cement was fresh laid.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable (safe and clean) place to stay in the city where parking doesn't cost you your unborn child?

Ā 

I do not think such a place exists in Manhattan.

Ā 

If you expand your search to Staten Island I can vouch for the Hampton Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn. Both have free parking, in a safe neighborhood and I think they have free shuttle buses to the Staten Island Ferry, but not sure how frequently they run and I think you have to reserve the return trip to the hotel (but it's free)

Thanks for the pictures, this thing looks great! Can't wait to ride it. Ultra stoked its relatively close and accessible via public transit

Seriously, Disney should hire zamperla to build all of their rides. It takes Disney 3 years to build a kiddie coaster. Zamperla knocks out a major ride during a couple lazy weekends. I'm impressed.

Ā 

It wasn't the actual ride that took Disney so long to make, it was the AMAZING scenery. Besides, if Zamperla's track record is any indicator, Seven Dwarves is going to be the superior ride in terms of smoothness as well. Trust me, if there was a faster way to do it, Disney would. Time is money...

Has there been any talk about an opening date yet? I know it's early, and I live on LI so I'm not too concerned, but just wondering!

Ā 

Memorial Day is the target opening but it seems like it won't make it. Then again this is Zamperla, who knows they might finish this thing before that.

So I was rewatching the animation provided for the ride and I noticed that there seems to be a hold at top of the lift like the ones on B&M dive machines. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Ā 

Ā 

That's the old layout for Thunderbolt. I believe theyre doing the one showcased during the IAAPA below

Ā 

Ā 

and it looks like there will be no pause at the crest like B&M's dive coasters.

Ā 

Aww, thats a shame. Still looks like it'll be a fun ride.

Today's update.

Ā 

Progress continues and I could visible see about 50% of the footers in place. There may be more in place as the ride is low to the ground in certain places.

Ā 

Observation. The coaster only takes up 1/3 of the lot it is sitting on. This this completely escaped me until now, not sure what is happening to the eastern 2/3 of the parcel in the future.

Ā 

BTW: The MegaWhirl that Thor Equities was supposedly going to force the owners to move back in November 2012, still sits in the same spot.

IMG_20140512_172503.thumb.jpg.a9d6322b2363ea312358973de29d26df.jpg

Signage has arrived. This excites me and... no one else.

IMG_20140512_172509.thumb.jpg.c52548f86e1e255a19474304c6eee043.jpg

The loop de loop appears to be 63.8% complete. I also never noticed the swoopiness of the hills in the concept art.

IMG_20140512_172527.thumb.jpg.e1fe4bc5f5778d3038ae05dc9fbcca5f.jpg

This view give a good indication of the amount of room left in the parcel.

IMG_20140512_172655.thumb.jpg.4145b566bd728df8d94c7150a5dab651.jpg

Reverse angle shot

Edited by larrygator

This loks like it can be a fun ride. If they manage to get this thing running by memorial day weekend I can get credit for this as I leave NY in early June. Fingers crossed!

Ā 

Keep the great updates comeing.

The ride is looking great! Maybe I was wrong and they will have it open by Memorial Day.

I really hope this ride delivers more than the Volare models did, because I have yet to experience a Eurofighter and I'm hoping Thunderbolt will hold me over until I get around to it.

I absolutely cannot wait for this. That drop and loop looks awesome. I guess because its close to me and looks like a great layout and lots of varied and interesting elements, but while everyone is drooling over Helix, Banshee, Goliath, etc I find myself getting most excited every time there is an update about this. CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE THIS!