TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

This is great news for Coney Island. There is no doubt that CAI/Zamperla has gone to incredible lengths to revitalize the park and the surrounding area. Sure some of the original surrounding tenants weren't thrilled about being evicted but I think all of the steps taken to this point were justified and have continued to be justifiable to this date.

I loved Coney Island during the day when we visited it in its old form in 2006, but as soon as it got darker it felt like it was time to leave. I doubt I'll feel the same way the next time I get the chance to visit.

I think its been a great match!

To see a revitalization like this to something so historic is nice. They kept the old school feel with the original theming, but added more modern rides. I look forward to seeing how they handle the space over time. I think trading out older rides for newer innovations is perfect, and definitely a way to keep NYers coming.

I do hope for something in place of the observation tower... a nice drop tower would be great and definitely add to the skyline!

I greatly disagree... according to Google Maps (which still has it on there maps) The footprint is about 10m x 10m. The Drop tower at KD is about 12m x 12. SFNE Scream is about the same... I could see some sort of medium drop tower...

491903632_ScreenShot2013-12-21at1_40_59PM.png.3d335245adfc8e1619491029852d9e8f.png

Coney Island

356710994_ScreenShot2013-12-21at1_43_05PM.thumb.png.d15c146b3bb7919e56b7516ac1b27a4a.png

Drop Tower at KD

1860994445_ScreenShot2013-12-21at1_44_03PM.png.51a0d5a8ff8215a446b30ef0261901d1.png

Scream! at SFNE

I greatly disagree... according to Google Maps (which still has it on there maps) The footprint is about 10m x 10m. The Drop tower at KD is about 12m x 12. SFNE Scream is about the same... I could see some sort of medium drop tower...

You are free to disagree but the currently available footprint is only approx. 40 feet by 20 feet. I was curious and measured it myself after the Astrotower came down.

Look at the 10th picture in this post

It would have to be a small drop tower and just don't see them adding another mini drop tower.

The Soaring Eagle will continue to soar all the way to the year 2027.

One of the scariest sentences I've read in a while.

This is great for the park though, even if they can't find more land I can see Zamperla swapping various flats in and out each season to keep the park fresh. And it while it might not happen because it's a different manufacturer, an El Loco would be a great replacement for either Soarin Eagle or Steeplechase.

You are free to disagree but the currently available footprint is only approx. 40 feet by 20 feet. I was curious and measured it myself after the Astrotower came down.

If that's the case, Zamperla could fit a really small family/kids ride in the space. But I would expect a small merchandise/QS food location to go in the space before another ride.

If that's the case, Zamperla could fit a really small family/kids ride in the space. But I would expect a small merchandise/QS food location to go in the space before another ride.

Maybe a 100ft+ Drop Tower?

And it while it might not happen because it's a different manufacturer, an El Loco would be a great replacement for either Soarin Eagle or Steeplechase.

Or a Zamperla interpretation of an El Loco!

Well Zamperla is already building a multi looping coaster with a 90 degree drop, So why build an El Loco?

The same reason I think we will see many things leave before their time is up! Zamparela is using Coney Island to test out new products!

Its a great venue for it, since the History of Coney Island has always been innovation. Plus, us New Yorkers are quite blunt on telling you weather we like something or not...

**Praying for a Drop tower of some sort!**

Zamperla is now also offering invertning frisbee's like the one att Silverwood (only smaller versions so far), perhaps that's what they are plannig to install.

Slightly off topic, but is this inverting frisbee made by Zamperla? I bet something like that could be a good replacement.

That looks pretty neat. I think a lot of smaller parks could benefit from that.

• 2 weeks later...
To get back on the topic; Has there been any construction on Thunderbolt Reborn?

I stop by about once a week on the way home from work for Nathan's

No machinery on site.

Ground leveling has not started.

No construction has been done.

No parts on site.

Just to follow-up on a previous comment I made, here is a map with possible areas for future expansion outlined in red. Of course, the parcels for Thunderbolt and B&B Carousell are no longer available for expansion.

ConeyIsland.png.63cda9efb87d6766e3480f403aa037df.png

Edited by larrygator