TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

I recently went to Brooklyn to visit Luna Park, Scream Park, and Deno's by myself and walked through the area a little bit and did not feel unsafe at all. I had to park a few blocks away so I did not have to pay for parking and I actually liked the area. Saw families outside playing with their kids in the park as well many joggers and people playing in the ball courts.

• 3 weeks later...

http://partnersinpreservation.com/

Ā 

Here is a chance to help in the preservation of the famous B&B Carousell at Coney Island. American Express is contributing to historical preservation. The B&B Carousell is currently in 17th place and the Top 4 vote getters get their full requested funded. This request covers the transportation of the ride back from Ohio (where it is being refurbished) and re-assembly. If you have an interest please sign up and vote.

Ā 

I wish I had seen this sooner but there is still two weeks left to vote. You can vote once per day until May 21st.

Edited by larrygator

One of the vendors kicked off the boardwalk by Zamperla is returning across the street from Nathan's and will include a "Kiddie Park" along with a first of it's kind "Mega Whirl". "Mega Whirl" is ride that combines elements of The Whip and a Tilt-a-Whirl and was developed by GordonRides, LLC and Larson International, Inc.

Ā 

http://pmq.com/news/news.php?id=15842

Ā 

Sopranos Star Opens Pizzeria and Amusement Park Complex on Coney Island

05/16/2012

Ā 

(Press Release) Brooklyn, NY, May 16, 2012-Long time Coney Island personality John ā€œCha Chaā€ Ciarcia , who many know from his role on The Sopranos and as co-host of The Wiseguys Show on Sirius Radio, is back just in time for the kick-off of the summer season, with several different businesses and amusement park lots, after being unceremoniously ā€œbootedā€ off the boardwalk last year in the very public rent/lease dispute with the giant Zamperla USA Corporation, which also affected several other longtime Coney Island business owners.

Ā 

Cha Chaā€™s Coney Island Seafood Bar & Pizzeria, at 1315 Surf Avenue (across from Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs) will have a full menu serving brick oven pizza, various seafood dishes, linguini and clam sauce, mussels, Coney Island crab cakes, clams, oysters and shrimp at the raw bar and will feature live music several nights a week, as well as special events. The new space also has an adjoining take-out cafe right next door, serving the brick oven pizza and various gelatos, frozen custard, frozen yogurt and Italian ices. Ciarcia will keep Cha Chaā€™s Coney Island Seafood Bar & Pizzeria open year round after this summer season.

Ā 

Ciarcia and actor friend Tony Danza will preside over the official launch ceremony on Thursday, May 24th at noon to announce the official grand opening the world debut of new amusement park ride The MegaWhirl, which was just developed and is the only one of its kind in the world, Cha Chaā€™s Steeplechase ā€“ The Fun Place Amusement Park, Cha Chaā€™s Kiddie Park and Cha Chaā€™s Side Show Park, along with Cha Chaā€™s outdoor Club Atlantis Bar, all located along Stillwell Ave. between Surf Avenue and the boardwalk.

Ā 

The official Grand Opening Party for Cha Chaā€™s Coney Island Seafood Bar & Pizzeria will take place on Saturday, May 19th from 7 p.m. with special guest host The Sopranos star, Vincent Pastore and a live performance by Killer Joe and the Mighty Lido Soul Quartet.

Ā 

Memorial Day Weekend will feature Bobby Valli and the Jersey Boys Revue, doing a ā€œTribute to The Jersey Boysā€, on Saturday, May 26th and Sunday, May 27th, with three shows a night at 8 p.m., 10 p.m. and midnight. There is a $10 cover charge and a two-drink minimum, or $25 per person for dinner.

Edited by larrygator

Upon receiving various complaints late last year, the city cleared out the old-school carnival games ā€“ including one booth called "Gangster Cigars" that was caught ripping customers off on a hidden camera by Arnold Diaz of Fox NYā€™s ā€œShame on You.ā€

Ā 

If anyone is interested, I managed to find that clip. Link

• 3 weeks later...

On June 9th, while many other TPR members will be supporting Give Kids the World by riding various coasters at Cedar Fair parks as part of Coasting for Kids, Fran Holz and I have volunteered in a different way.

Ā 

We are sujecting ourselves to a coaster marathon competition on the Coney Island Cyclone. Up to 12 charities will be riding from 11AM - 10PM and it's a winner take all contest. The last team left riding wins $24,000 for their charity. As part of the Cyclone 85th anniversary, Central Amusement International is contesting this contest and supplying the prize money.

Ā 

I am huge fan of Coney Island history and love the Cyclone (even though it sometimes bitch slaps me pretty bad) and Fran's grandparents meet at Coney Island.

Ā 

If anyone is in the area feel free to come out and cheer us on. If you are not in the area "pray" for our safety.

Ā 

http://www.coneyislandfunguide.com/Events/Cyclone-Rollercoaster-Charity-Coasterthon_6_9_2012-3267.htm

Edited by larrygator

We are rotating seats every hour.

Ā 

3 hours in and we are both still riding. Three of the nine teams are down one rider. Wildlife Conservatory lost a rider at one hour mark. American Cancer Society lost a rider in second hour, as did Special Olympics with a puker. New York Cares had a puker in the third hour but he kept riding.

Ā 

We are on lunch break right now.