TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2009!

^Probably because Alpengeist runs more like a SLC than a B&M.

But, really, 54 isn't a horrible ranking when you consider how many steel coasters are out there. There might be close to 2,000 steelies operating. I dunno the exact figure.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is how Nitro can be at 19 and rides like Fahrenheit (80) and Alpengeist (54) are so poorly ranked.

Edit: Okay, Magnum is ahead of Fahrenheit! The world is screwed up (stupid Acers)

Fahrenheit was boring. Magnum is about as classic as it gets. Alpengeist is one of those rides that people differ greatly on. I think it's awesome, but others hate it.

I know magnum is a classic but it's just killed my legs and I fail to see how it's likable (It's just my opinion and no I'm not saying it's the worst ride ever)

I also don't see why people call Fahrenheit boring. It's not like it's forceless and it has an interesting layout. I got some pretty good air throughout the whole ride and the pacing is great. If someone could just explain how it's so boring I would be fine with it but I really haven't heard anyone complain about it that way.

^I mean the first drop was fun, and the Norwegian Loop was cool, but after that it wasn't anything that out of the ordinary. A cobra roll with two drawn out corkscrews, turn, pretty good airtime hill, brakes. As far as Hershey Park is concerned, Storm Runner was wayyyyy better and Lightning Racer was wayyyyyy better.

I also don't see why people call Fahrenheit boring. It's not like it's forceless and it has an interesting layout. I got some pretty good air throughout the whole ride and the pacing is great.

See it's all kind of subjective. I thought that Fahrenheit was kind of sluggish, especially being right next to Storm Runner. And there are those that swear up and down that Millennium Force has "ejector air", but to me that's something only a "midwest nutjob" would claim.

^See I don't think MF has ejector air. Well, actually, back row on the first drop and then most anywhere on the train on the bunny hop by the station have some wicked air, but the two hills over the water don't. If you ride in the 2nd or 3rd car, the 3rd hill has some good floater air, and the return hill has some ok floater air. But then again, it's not supposed to be an airtime coaster, so I really don't care.

California can't even crack the top 30 Lol, and there's no way in hell Tatsu should be ranked above X2, where's the representation from the West Coast Nutjobs?!

Why is that? Tatsu is smooth, intense, and has a unique layout for a flyer. X2 just beats the hell out of you.

Overall, I'd say that is a solid top 20. It's clear that people enjoy Intamin and B&M hypers, which is fine by me, since I share that sentiment too!

I've only been on 9 of the poll's top 20, though that should change quite a bit this year. I rate my top 4 woodies ahead of any steel coasters I have ridden.

Probably the one I find surpising to be in the top 20 was Apollo's Chariot, maybe it rides better at other times because it was very sluggish when I rode it.

So how did my top 20 fare:

1. Piraten (Djurs Sommerland) Poll - #6

2. Bizarro (SF New England) #1

3. X2 (Six Flags Magic Mo) #44

4. Maverick (Cedar Point) #17

5. Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point) #31

6. Behemoth (Canadas Wonderland) #13

7. Millennium Force (Cedar Point) #10

8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Geo) #15

9. Ride of Steel (Darien Lake) #26

10. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood Park) #25

11. Nitro (Six Flags Great Ad) #19

12. Mindbender (Six Flags Over Geo) #52

13. Vortex (Canadas Wonderland) #154

14. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point) #69

15. Lynet (Farup Sommerland) #56

16. Afterburn (Carowinds) #35

17. Storm Runner (Hersheypark) #30

18. Kingda Ka (Six Flags Great Ad) #68

19. Fluch von Novgorod (Hansa-Park) #41

20. Flight of Fear (Kings Island) #166

And just because I feel like copying what downunder did......

1. Millennium Force - #10

2. Maverick - #17

3. Storm Runner - #30 (wow)

4. Magnum XL-200 - #69 (sad)

5. Top Thrill Dragster - #31

6. Montu - #18

7. Apollo's Chariot - #16

8. Diamondback - #4

9. Phantom's Revenge - #25

10. Incredible Hulk - #39

11. Titan - #74 (no love for the helix of death?)

12. Alpengeist - #54

13. Nitro - #19

14. Kumba - #28

15. Griffon - #27

16. Sheikra - #24

17. Steel Force - #94 (really?)

18. Kraken - #33

19. Manta - #23

20. Afterburn - #35

Wow, nerd festival:

1. Tele2 Insane - #20

2. Expedition GeForce - #3

3. Bizarro - #1

4. Piraten - #6

5. Maverick - #17

6. Winjas - #46

7. Mindbender (SFOG) - #52

8. Nitro - #19

9. Goliath (SFOG) - #15

10. Dueling Dragons-Fire - #32

11. Dueling Dragons-Ice - #40

12. XCelerator - #38

(Everything higher than this was grouped.)

I guess I don't have anything outlandish in my rankings. I think the most notable deficiency my steel ballot suffers from is that I haven't been on many of the very finest B&M inverts: Nemesis, Katun, and Pyrenees.

California can't even crack the top 30 Lol, and there's no way in hell Tatsu should be ranked above X2, where's the representation from the West Coast Nutjobs?!

Why is that? Tatsu is smooth, intense, and has a unique layout for a flyer. X2 just beats the hell out of you.

Overall, I'd say that is a solid top 20. It's clear that people enjoy Intamin and B&M hypers, which is fine by me, since I share that sentiment too!

I find Tatsu very boring myself actually (apart from the lift hill and pretzel of course), that could be due to riding it too many times, but I honestly have no desire to really ride it anymore unless the line for it is super short. X2 at least excites me, although I agree that it can be pretty rough sometimes, it usually gives me a good ride.

According to the Poll, my Top 10 Steel should like this:

1. Diamondback

2. Millennium Force

3. Maverick

4. Phantom’s Revenge

5. Top Thrill Dragster

6. Tatsu

7. Xcelerator

8. X2

9. Raptor

10. Batman The Ride

...But it really looks like this:

1. Millennium Force - #10

2. Maverick - #17

3. X2 - #44

4. Goliath (SFMM) - #63

5. Phantom’s Revenge - #25

6. Xcelerator - #38

7. Diamondback - #4

8. Magnum XL-200 - #69

9. Top Thrill Dragster - #31

10. Medusa - #64

Pretty different considering Tatsu barely makes my Top 50 and Goliath, Magnum and Medusa aren't there. Shows how underrated those rides are (imo).

Joining in with everyone else.

#1. Maverick (17)

#2. X2 (44)

#3. Kumba (28)

#4. Phantoms Revenge (25)

#5. Dueling Dragons Fire (32)

#6. Dueling Dragons Ice (40)

#7. Montu (18)

#8. Behemoth (13)

#9. Incredible Hulk (39)

#10. Sheikra (24)

#11. Storm Runner (30)

#12. Tatsu (37)

#13. Magnum XL 200 (69)

#14. Xcelerator (38)

#15. Raptor (48)

#16. Dominator (71)

#17. Riddlers Revenge (75)

#18. Batman the Ride (61)

#19. Top Gun (CGA) (70)

#20. DejaVu (200)

#21. Millennium Force (10)

#22. Top Thrill Dragster (31)

#23. Raging Bull (51)

#24. Goliath (La Ronde) (14)

#25. Medusa (64)

Magnum at number 69, how appropriate, or inappropriate perhaps. On the midwest tour, I got a couple of fellow Sydneysiders to lose their Magnum virginity in the ejector seat (1.3). Poor Chris, I think he got neutered on Magnum, the on-ride photo was a rictus of pain.

Insane is a funny coaster, it's intense but not a ride I found hugely enjoyable.

My poll should change a lot this time at the top end, with Expedition GeForce, Nemesis, Katun, iSpeed, and Blue Fire among the credits I will obtain.

^I think you'll really enjoy your "extra, extra, extra ride time" on GeForce. It's a great ride to marathon. I think I could sit on it all day and not get bored or want to get off.

Insane brings "high forces" to a whole new level. I can't imagine what that ride would be like without the magnetic braking on the drops. I'm still a little bit scared of that ride. I can't think of any other coaster that's actually a bit scary except maybe carnie coasters, but that's fear through neglect not design. Also, I really liked the random nature of Insane; how it gave a completely different ride each cycle.

I wonder if Diamondback will be able to stay in the top 10 next year. It did get a healthy amount of riders though. Might not be able to pin this one entirely on "midwest nutjobs".

Yeah, there's no way it will stay in the top 10 next year...unless the MCBR is toned down and it breaks in AMAZINGLY well. Unless those two happen, Goliath will be ontop still.

Where did LaRonde's Goliath come from?! I don't remember seeing that in the top 20 before! It must be running very well...just airtime, airtime, airtime. With Diamondback, Goliath, Behemoth, Goliath, Apollo, and Nitro in the top 20, very well done B&M. Are the only others missing Silver Star, Hollywood Dream, and Ragin Bull? Wow, that's when you know you have a good product out.

I've more people complaining about Maverick's roughness than I usually do..I assume that's why it dropped. I had my best ride on it this season to put it up at my #2 steel.

Underrated coasters:

-Shockwave at SFOT...most underrated at #102

-Mr. Freeze at SFOT

-Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach

Winning percentages of those coasters on fewer than 10 ballots:

Scooby-Doo Spooky Coa Warner Bros. Movie AU 12 157 89 62 6 0.5860 1

Magnum at number 69, how appropriate, or inappropriate perhaps. On the midwest tour, I got a couple of fellow Sydneysiders to lose their Magnum virginity in the ejector seat (1.3). Poor Chris, I think he got neutered on Magnum, the on-ride photo was a rictus of pain.

I think it's probably because I'm so used to riding it and know how to avoid the extreme pain, but I could marathon the ejector seat. The employee ride night we had one of my years there I did about 7 or 8 rides in that seat over the hour it was open, and without the trims on the pretzel. INSANITY. But I still love it. It's the original hyper, and will probably always remain my #1 hyper.

I like Magnum, I like agressive ejector airtime, I don't have a problem with the pain - I've marathoned the ejector seat in the past but if you're not ready for it you may have a problem. We should just call magnum the 69'er now, I'm always up for a gratuitous double entendre, "What are you riding?" "Oh I'm doing a 69 marathon". "Alright dude!"

Insane is a funny coaster, I prefer crazy drops, airtime and acceleration - Insane flips you around and gut punches you now and then. It's intense but it definitely didn't scare me, it didn't help I had drank a bottle and a half of wine before the night ERT session, thanks to our gracious and wonderful hosts. Tranan was a lot better than I thought and it shows in the poll.

Piraten and Bizarro were hard to split for me, I need more Intamin hypers and megalites in my credit list. I'm going to approach GeForce like I did Balder last year with a healthy dose of skepticism - Balder exceeded my expectations wildly.

Umm...La Ronde's Goliath better than X2... Not only that but 30 places in front of it!

Sounds about right. I don't recall any problems with Goliath, it's an excellent coaster.

As far as X2. X used to be in my Top 10. This year I rode X2 and I placed it somewhere in the 70-80 range. I no longer enjoy being abused on steel coasters.