TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of days ago, ShDL posted photos of the first beam going up for ZOOTOPIA.

Vertical construction has started!

And as usual with a lot of these projects, workers and cast members signed the first beam going up.

And they included a nice little banner from "The City of Zootopia," in the photo. Nice touch.

Zootopia10.jpg.7091cb6471312f9a14df7e58ef506d70.jpg

And in back, a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train rolling by!

• 1 month later...

Saw this the other day, I had no clue BT (known for some trance/EDM hits back in the day... and produced a lot of pop music (dirrrttyyy pop!) for those going huh?) wrote some of the scores at Shanghai Disney. Thought that was pretty neat.

Facebook Video:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A new Virtual Reality experience, SoReal will open in Shanghai Disney's DisneyTown in 2021, taking over the Lakeshore building where the Boathouse Restaurant previously operated. 

SoReal Shanghai Disney DisneyTown Announcement

1089659471_ScreenShot2020-10-19at1_23_21PM.thumb.jpeg.ecbd035af672502f24747e4b0eaf3df7.jpeg

Today, management representatives from Shanghai Disney Resort and SoReal attended a special celebration ceremony. Joe Schott, President and General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort, became the founder of Beijing Qitian International Cultural Technology Development Group Co., Ltd. , CEO Qi Xiao presented the golden key representing the lakeside architecture of Disney Town!

With the official handover of the building to SoReal, construction work is about to begin. This new SoReal super-body space experience is scheduled to open to tourists in 2021.

Since its grand opening in 2016, Disney Town’s unique shopping experience, delicious world cuisine, and wonderful live performances have continuously brought surprises to visitors. With SoReal settled on the lakeside of Disney Town, Disney Town will further bring visitors a rich entertainment experience , giving visitors the opportunity to experience the special fun of leading technology!

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 1.24.18 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 1.24.03 PM.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Shanghai Disneyland just posted photos of the "topping" of the massive show building for ZOOTOPIA's main attraction. The final steel roof piece was signed by officials of the Resort and those involved with the building of it.

By the way, since it's rumored to a be a "police chase" of some kind, this may be the main entrance into the attraction....

....The Zootopia Police Station. Just a guess. 🚨

Zootopia17.png.65ec56a2a4f09cabb4e8ddfc10e5f1cf.png

The all-important officials' group shot, before signing the roof piece.

Zootopia16.png.1e200ad58366d5f49dd5993e1553aa89.png

Lowering the signed piece into position. Photos from Disney.

Zootopia18.png.2348bbd232530e41c176877f8244d16d.png

What the Police Station looked like, in concept artwork c/o Disney.

^ Someone also rumored earlier, that this could possibly be a Test Track kind of ride. Like Journey/Center/Earth in Tokyo DisneySea?

With the way trackless ride vehicles work, as we've seen so far (flat levels only), it does seem to me that the Test Track way could be the way for this attraction. With "regular" driving speed, speeding up (i.e. The Police Chase) plus going uphill and down (like Journey), it seems more applicable. Trackless vehicles need elevators to travel on different levels, like RotR. So far.

We'll all find out, eventually. 😀

P.S. I also thought that it could be designed and built like Indiana Jones in Disneyland/DisneySea, is.  This too, could work. IMhO.

5thAnnyLogo.png.df3942c8370149c728065d5ce6b55d35.png

They just revealed, during the park's New Year's show, the new logo for ShDL's 5th Anniversary coming up.

5thAnnyLogo01.png.46812b366acae7ae68d88061e42247a0.png

The logo revealed on the castle during the 2020-2021 New Year's celebration. Photo from Disney.

• 7 months later...

So I recently read A RUMOR about ShDL "shopping around" coaster companies with an attraction plan involving two launches and at least two switches in the design. It sounds something like the Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Train ride in Hong Kong DL. But that only has one launch to it.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the ZOOTOPIA land they're building there, already. That's possibly test track-style or trackless they're going for IMhO. But you never know, hmm?

And as I started with, it's A RUMOR. But ..... anyone else read about this, or have more information?

• 5 months later...

ZOOTOPIA construction update. Here's a shot of what can be seen, between The Pooh Ride, and The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train.

This will be the entryway (and exit from) into Zootopia, I believe.

Zootopia25.png.5096e9557865f3e285ffa1fdac45a766.png

Photo from the net. Thank you to whoever took this shot.

Zootopia24.png.0b2b973858ce778aed7209f9a0057afc.png

And an overhead shot. And thanks again to "whoever" for taking this shot. It's great!

And I still think that the huge building there (orange crane in front of it), is going to house a Test Track-type attraction. IMhO. :mickey:

Same as "Journey..." over in DisneySea. And Radiator Springs Racers in DCA. The system especially works, for speeding up and slowing down (i.e. Zootopia police car chase?). Basically, it's a Disney "Adult Size" slot car racing set, LOL.

I am interested to see what kind of ride system this attraction uses. Test Track? Maybe, I was thinking something more along the lines of a trackless dark ride like Runaway Railway, or maybe Rise of the Resistance with no height requirement might be the best fit. We've seen what WDI has done over seas with the trackless dark rides, the animatronics they could make for Zootopia this thing could have a lot of potential. 

15 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

The system especially works, for speeding up and slowing down (i.e. Zootopia police car chase?).

I friggin' LOVE that idea.  You go on a ride-along with Nick and Judy as they go about their day until things get wild.

• Like 1

^ From what I have read and seen of it all, it would be certainly be a better choice of 'transport' for this kind of attraction.

Trackless vehicles still need elevators (and such things) to move them up to a higher or lower level.

Funny thing is, the old Alice In Wonderland ride in DL, is really a multi level dark ride, still tracked, but manages to go up and down, level-wise.

On an angle.

IMG_0993.JPG.cc2de4dce34562ebd05539ad92cbfe4e.JPG

Down we go, heading to that Tea Party Finale. Taken Sept.09, 2019.

• 1 month later...

The whole city of Shanghai will be subject to lock-downs with a spike in cases since China is still pushing for zero-corona. It seems Disneyland has been shut since March 21st. I think a lot of Chinese parks are going to be hurting and it's hard to see if China can keep the zero policy going for the long run. Hong Kong has been quarantining and hospitalizing everyone and those parks will have been closed for 4 months if they are even actually allowed to reopen.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

^ Actually, the construction in front of that massive "warehouse" as you put it,  is where the attraction is located. 😀

That said, they (the D23 weekend) released a lot of concept art for (I think) most of the ride vehicles designed for the new Disney attractions, world-wide. And I must say, the design for the ZOOTOPIA ride vehicle looks more like it would run like Test Track in EPCOT, or Journey in DisneySea. Giant slot cars, lol. Of course, the wheels on the vehicle could be totally fake, and it could still be a trackless vehicle. But reading that there might be a "car chase" in the attraction's route, the slot car track design makes more sense, to me. Trackless vehicles, so far, just amble along w/o much high speed involved. IMhO.

Zootopia30.png.f45f369e71cd74104c1d100f200a70d5.png

I just found a page posted, (all written in Mandarin I believe?), that shows one of the new animatronic figures in the Zootopia ride.... Officer Clawhauser!

Here's the link to the page with the video of him speaking, etc. https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/hfzvmvOXB6U0POGwKuGf0g

Very cool to see and hear, even if I don't understand the language, lol. But they do have an English translation, bottom of the vid screen.

Zootopia31.png.f40fbd8309404a3b58f483f16535d545.png

Isn't he cute?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

People have been locked inside of Shanghai Disneyland due to China's zero Corona policy.

Shanghai Disney has become the latest high-profile venue to shut its gates thanks to China's strict zero-Covid policy, trapping visitors inside.

People have been told they will not be allowed out of the theme park until they can show a negative test.

It comes after Shanghai reported 10 locally transmitted cases on Saturday.

China's controversial zero-Covid policy has already seen millions of people repeatedly locked down, sometimes in unusual locations.

The sudden nature lockdowns have seen people fleeing shops - including a Shanghai branch of Swedish furniture giant Ikea - and workplaces as they try to avoid being trapped inside.

However, those awaiting their freedom at Shanghai Disney can console themselves with one positive: rides are continuing to operate for those trapped inside The Happiest Place on Earth.

As well as the theme park, surrounding areas such as the shopping street were also abruptly closed shortly after 11:30 local time (3:30 GMT).

Videos posted on Chinese social media site Weibo showed people rushing to the park's gates following the announcement but finding them already locked.

Posting on Chinese social media site WeChat, the Shanghai government said the park was barring people from entering and those inside could only leave once they had returned a negative test result.

It added that anyone who has visited the park since Thursday must provide three negative test results over three consecutive days.

No date has been given for when the park will reopen. Shanghai Disney said tickets will be valid for six months and refunds will be given.

The snap closure comes just two days after the park began operating at a reduced capacity to comply with Covid measures.

It's not the first time the park has unexpectedly shut. Last November, 30,000 people were trapped inside after authorities ordered everyone to be tested as part of contact tracing.

Almost three years since China reported its first coronavirus case, authorities across the vast nation continue to impose abrupt and extreme measures in a bid to stop any transmission of the virus.

Millions of people are under 200 different lockdowns in China, as of October 24, as the country of 1.45 billion consistently records more than 1,000 new Covid cases a day. The numbers are seen as relatively small outbreaks in other parts of the world.

However, earlier this month Chinese President Xi Jinping signalled that there would be no easing up of the zero-Covid policy - which aims to wipe out all outbreaks - calling it a "people's war to stop the spread of the virus".

The Chinese government's insistence on the increasingly unpopular policy comes as the economy continues to take a hit as a result, with GDP falling by 2.6% in the three months to the end of June from the previous quarter.

Source

• Sad 1

I really hope China changes their policies at some point in the next year or so. I would really like to go back, but the idea of being locked inside a park (even a Disney or Universal park!) doesn't sit well with me. With my luck it would probably be some scary chinese knock off park we would get locked in!

• Like 1