TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

And here's 90 minutes of unbelievable coverage that a family and their young son took at the park...

This has pretty good video of Pirates, Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, Peter Pan, Soarin Over the World, the Snow White Castle Walk-Through and more. I think Disney hit this one out of the park... (and there is tons of room to expand - could you imagine this park in 10 years?)

Pirates may be the best dark ride out there - it looks great in video... can you imagine how stunning it must look live?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU2NDM3MTA5Mg==.html

Truthfully, it looks like they overdid the projections. They are used beautifully in the transitions, but also for a lot of the action. However, I can't tell from the video whether or not the projections are the "hologram" (musion) style or just normal projections. If all the projections are "hologram" style with actual depth, then I imagine the final product still looks amazing and realistic.

Wow I am in awe about Pirates of the Caribbean. Absolutely blown away and that's just from watching the video!!

I really wish someday I will be able to make it out to Shanghai to experience this park. It looks amazing!

(BTW...on the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto...the outdoor segments...it looks like there will need to be a lot of upkeep to keep the figures clean/not faded...unless they are like water/weather/sun proof and can keep its color and structure forever)

So... is everyone using smartphones the entire time on dark rides normal these days? I will be visiting Disneyland for the first time in over a decade soon and that would be incredibly annoying! That shouldn't be acceptable just like flash photography is not. I can't understand why people don't just absorb the experience themselves and enjoy the ride instead of worrying about their smartphone captures and uploading it all to social media or whatever.

As for Pirates, let's be real, it's far too dependent on projections. It reminds me a lot of CGI vs Practical Effects in movies to be honest and we all know what is best.

My god! That full POTC video is to die for. I can't believe that, this is hopefully the future of theme park attractions. I think this ride might do what Spiderman did so many years ago. I honestly don't even like POTC and that ride looks amazing! Hopefully Avatar's boat ride will be similar. I think its the perfect balance between physical sets and screens. I know some people hate to see screens but this is just proof that you can only accomplish so much with animatronics.

Edited by colinx

^ Well, okay. Still, I haven't heard the word used that much in this site, these past several years, sorry.

And....was "musion" supposed to be fusion? Might as well ask about that, too.

the_more_you_know.gif.2c379c37ec9c83e87c2d1a60594b3a8d.gif

Haha, no sorry, my fault, I should have explain it first.

And no, Musion is a brand, and a Musion Eyeliner is a thin metalized film that is used to make people appears on stage for instance. Or think of all Harry Potter cast appearance in their rides.

Thanks for the explanation King.

To think they're still yet to open Roaring Rapids with that giant monster animatronic too. I had underestimated the scope and originality of this park... but I guess when you're in a country with a billion people you can afford to make it big and bold! Cool stuff.

Hmmm, I wonder if the style of the Pirates ride is what they are going to use for one of the Star Wars rides when it opens in the U.S. Wasn't one of them supposed to be a ride through the movie scenes? We may never get a new Pirates clone ride in the U.S., but perhaps something that uses a similar style. Or a mix of the trackless Winnie the Pooh ride in Japan with Shanghai Pirates big sets and film screens. The Avatar boat ride at Animal Kingdom will most likely be the closest to Shanghai Pirates though in it's technology.

This footage elicits a much different reaction from me than when DCA or HKDL opened. In both of those cases, they seemed like parks I'd want to visit way off in the future once their attraction roster improved.

It wasn't until HKDL added Mystic Manor and the Big Grizzly Mountain coaster that I felt a visit would be worth the expense.

With this park however, I'd book a trip today if it were feasible. The attraction count is low, but everything looks cutting edge and original.

Loving the Pirates footage. It looks like a good mix of physical elements and screens. I can see this being put to use in the Star Wars ride, which I was under the impression will use trackless vehicle. If they don't do something similar for the Avatar boat ride, I may just lose all faith in Disney's willingness to wow us Stateside.

In the words of Borat... WAWAWEEWA! After viewing the videos of Tron, Peter Pan and Pirates I am seriously impressed!!! Here's to hoping that Avatar's boat ride utilizes the same immersive and incredible system and they do something great with Star Wars too. Looking forward to more videos, pictures, TRs as people get to SDL!

None are musion I guess, they are just using squinching.

I'm pretty sure "squinching" is only for correcting 3D images while moving. And unless they paid royalties to Universal, they wouldn't be able to utilize it because Universal has a patent on that method that is valid for another 4-5 years.

Hopefully they utilize some of the same technology for the Avatar boat ride... but I'm not expecting anything near what we're currently seeing with Shanghai pirates. Have you seen the footprint for the boat ride? It is quite small... in fact - I'm wondering if they're really not pushing a lot of advance word on it as they don't want expectations to be too high. I'm expecting a Living with the Land type of experience but with the nighttime bio-luminescence and some animatronic animals... Something the whole family can ride in Pandora since there will be a height limit for the Banshee ride.

Now... Star Wars Land's Battle Escape attraction is a different story. Have you seen how massive this show building is going to be? I can truly see a lot of the same technology implemented here, despite it not being a boat ride. You could still utilize similar effects and use trackless technology. It could be the perfect blend of POTC: Battle of Sunken Treasure and Pooh's Hunny Hunt!

I'm pretty sure "squinching" is only for correcting 3D images while moving. And unless they paid royalties to Universal, they wouldn't be able to utilize it because Universal has a patent on that method that is valid for another 4-5 years.

I have no idea about any ownership of the tech, but Disney does currently achieve the effect in the Racers ride at California Adventure. Its when you enter Ramone's Paint shop. So, they either are paying for it, or thy have found a way around it in the past.

Also, I am not sure what universal actually owns. But I can't see a "camera movement" in projected images, mimicking realistic movement, being something that a company could "own".

Either way, they do it. So that's that.

I have no idea about any ownership of the tech, but Disney does currently achieve the effect in the Racers ride at California Adventure. Its when you enter Ramone's Paint shop. So, they either are paying for it, or thy have found a way around it in the past.

Also, I am not sure what universal actually owns. But I can't see a "camera movement" in projected images, mimicking realistic movement, being something that a company could "own".

Either way, they do it. So that's that.

Radiator Springs Racers and Shanghai's Pirates of the Caribbean do not utilize 3D projection - just standard 2D that is carefully in sync with the motion of the ride vehicle.

In comparison, both Universal's Spider-Man and Gringott's does the same thing, but in 3D. There is a BIG difference in technology requirements between 2D and 3D projection - particularly when using 3D projection with a moving focal point of the viewers (squinching).