TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

Here's a couple of early photos in the thread, showing the TRON

indoor/outdoor track and where the 'bikes' enter back into the building...

(Thanks to all who took these early photos.)

TronCoaster2.jpg.31f2397d59038592d38ceb1bf241c504.jpg

First, the earlier leaked layout of the circuit for the ride and how the building (and outside) fit into the design.

TronCoaster6.jpg.9bf164270436638d7a9cd23978b6cc36.jpg

Outdoor track, after launch. And I believe that bottom "hole" in the blue building is where the bikes come zooming out!

TronCoaster6alt.jpg.64ffda048628dc0fe7972cdc2232ce5f.jpg

And where they re-enter the show building.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Looks so awesome!!! We can finally ride on the grid!!

So looks like Disney going to use Vekoma's Booster Bike format to build this ride. The ride vehicles look really similar to other booster bike coasters, but WAY more awesome.

...Has Disney marketed any of their coasters like this before?

Before the www, everything was publicized in print, tv, and such.

(and word-of-mouth after it opened, which has gone www, now.)

I don't think any previous Disney park before Paris and Hong Kong, had

this current opportunity to promote any coaster at that time. But they

could control a lot of the information that they put out back then, unlike

today when stuff gets "leaked" and such.

Space Mountain in WDW did not open until 1975 and DL's in 1977. There was

Disney Magazine/News at the time, that had a nice spread about DL's, but it

was just before it opened. With the model of Space Mountain on the cover on the magazine.

What I remember...

IMG_7346.JPG.9f6c4f07a77b30543e0ddc26c4643e25.JPG

The cover of the Summer 1977, Disney News.

A new Disney park in a country with more than a billion people in its population... if it lives up to its hype this park will be ALL KINDS OF CROWDED.

I'm pretty sure not all billion people live in the same place.

^Oh really??

Anyway, there surely are enough people in Shanghai to keep the park busy at all times. I don't know how popular these things are with the Chinese though. Earlier this year I asked some colleagues in our Shanghai office if they were excited about Disney opening a park in their city. They had no idea what I was talking about...

But I guess its safe to say it will be advertised quite heavily as it gets closer to opening!

I like that this park isn't trying to follow the model of the others...love the unique lands!

Exactly. I'm really looking forward to their new take on Pirates of the Caribbean.

^^They must have expansion plans ready to go straight away, imagine how few attractions there would have been before their additional £500 million investment.

If those crazy Chinese queue 3 hours to get into a Disney Store in Shanghai imagine what they will do here.

According to Disney's own press release....

An income qualified population of 330 million people are within a three-hour travel radius of Shanghai Disney Resort. From 2012 to 2015, the Chinese travel market is projected to grow 34 percent, according to PhoCusWright. The number of upper-middle class and affluent households in China is expected to grow 18 percent annually between 2012 and 2022, according to McKinsey.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2014/04/shanghai-disney-resort-accelerates-resort-expansion#sthash.Uhgns0KF.dpuf

Over 1 billion of the 1.3 billion population live in the east of the country as well so as there wealth grows so will attendance figures.

I am kind of disappointed that the park is not launching with a Space Mountain, but I guess there is always time to add it later. I also really like the new Adventure Isle rapids ride. That crocodile dinosaur thing looks to be added on the long list of "Things at Disney parks that scare the crap out of people"

A new Disney park in a country with more than a billion people in its population... if it lives up to its hype this park will be ALL KINDS OF CROWDED.

I'm pretty sure not all billion people live in the same place.

If I recall correctly, travel within China also isn't as easy as just hitting the road for a road trip as well.

At first glance the initial attractions lineup is a little thin but has some awsome new concepts. I guess when Hong Kong opened it was also a bit limited on the attrations but has since filled out a bit more and I'm sure Shanghai also will over time.

I can't help but think the Tarzan show is a bit odd, I wonder if that's going to be an all new production or something similar to the show that used to exist at Animal Kingdom? I dind't think that franchise was ever very popular but it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Also, the rapids ride looks incredible and is going to make me hate Kali River Rapids even more compared to other Disney rapids attractions.

Wow - it looks like they are really showing the future park off, now!

The detail in the models is really great.

And Mickey Avenue definitely looks like the Main Street of this park, too.