TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The TPR Cookbook

jamesdillaman

so here's the recipe for donkey bites.

a couple of steaks (sirloin or ribeye)

cream cheese

jalapenos

turkey bacon (can be substituted for real bacon)

shrimp (optional)

you basically want to cut the steak into small squares, maybe about 2 inches by 2 inches, then slit the side of them. You then stuff cream cheese and a jalapeno inside. If you have shrimp, put it next to the meat, then wrap with the bacon. I use toothpicks to keep them together. Cook until the bacon gets crispy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought I would share this one with the group:

Corn Pudding

2 - 11oz can corn, drained

7 tbsp butter

3 tbsp flour

1-1/2 tsp salt

4 tbsp sugar

1 egg

1 cup of milk

> Beat butter, flour, salt, sugar and egg together

> Add milk and corn

> Bake in greased casserole dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

> Yield: 3 to 5 servings

I know that corn and pudding in the same sentence sounds gross, but this has become an instant favorite with the family at Thanksgiving dinner!

Hmmmm... A Chef needs to speak up I guess!

Breakfast Burritos for a fast-and-easy start to your day (Especially since they can be made in advance and easily re-heated...

You will need (Makes 10 'burritos')

10 Pack of Flour tortillas

8 medium eggs

1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese

1/2 cup Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup Red Pepper, Diced

1/2 cup Sweet onion (MUST BE SWEET!)

Insert your favorite Breakfast MEAT here- I prefer a good Chorizo-

Scramble eggs to a -soft- state- not runny, but not rubbery, and place evenly in the middle of the tortillas. Sprinkle cheese, peppers, onions on top, then the chorizo.

Meanwhile, have your oven/toaster oven set at 400 degrees. Pop said burritos into the oven for about 5-8 minutes, to melt the cheese and finish cooking the eggs.

Eat.

This sounds crazy, but try it, it's really good! It's sort of a breakfast bread. You can use any flavor of ice cream. Just make sure you don't use low-fat or fat-free ice cream because it won't work.

Ice Cream Bread

1 pint (2 cups) ice cream, softened

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Stir together ice cream and flour, stirring just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

I just made this with Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream. It's very good but isn't as sweet as I expected. Yes i have a swwet tooth. Next time I going try it with a half cup of sugar added.

I really want to try some of these! In return ill put my most yummy cake recipe (no measurements but its really simple)

Pineapple upside-down cake:

All you have to do is spread a reasonable amount of sugar (light demerara) and butter mix onto the bottom of a cake tin, then put some tinned pineapple rings and glace cherries on the top of it. cover with your bog standard cake mix and cook according to the amount of cake mix you used! (be careful that the yummy, sticky, gooey base doesn't stick to the bottom of the tin when you turn it out!)

I find it impossible to wait until its cool to try some!

heres a photo (not made by me though, its from google)

^I added a 1/2 cup of sugar and a 1/2 cup of Hershey Dark Chocolate Syrup to the batter and it turned out awesome (tastes like a brownie now), except for the fact that it needed to stay in the oven longer now. It collapsed like a bad souffle in the movies when I removed it. It was a little undercooked, but yummy. My test tasters said it needed to cook a little longer, but they kept nibbling at it.

I'm going to try again on Wednesday night by cooking it an extra 15 minutes and using a toothpick this time to test it before taking it out of the oven.

Yum, I love Corn Pudding!!!

I was getting out my recipes for Thanksgiving and thought I would post this one. It is sooooo good and although time consuming, not necessarily difficult to make. It also makes quite a bit so it is good for big families or groups.

Sweet Potato Pie

The Sweet Potato Mix:

10 c. sweet potatoes (about 9-10 med/lg sweet potatoes) - Note: if the amount of sweet potatoes you prepared yields more than 10 c., that's ok....just be a little more generous with the brown sugar and butter. If less than 10 c. ...then reduce the sugar/butter just a tad....you can't really ruin it.

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 cube butter (melted)

4 eggs (beaten)

Milk....only to bring potatoes to desired consistency if needed. Potato mix should be thick and creamy, but not too thick and definitely not runny, so.... the need to add milk really will depend on your own preference. Just add a little at a time to avoid making the mix too runny.

Preparing the Potatoes: Wash sweet potatoes and pierce with fork. Bake on a baking sheet (line with foil for easy clean-up) at 400 for 40-45 min (or till soft). Peel off skin once cool enough to touch. Use an electric mixer to blend swt. potatoes, butter, beaten eggs till smooth. Add milk if needed, and only a little bit at a time till you get the consistency that you desire. After mix is done, put it in a greased baking dish and smooth out.

The Topping: (can make ahead of time only if using regular flour)

1 cup brown sugar

1 stick butter (softened)

1 tspn vanilla extract

1 cup flour (self-rising is best...gives a fluffier/crusty topping....though the one you ate was made with regular flour. If you do self-rising, you will want to make and add the topping just before you bake the entire thing, otherwise the chemical reactions in the rising stuff (baking soda? Baking powder?) will give the crust a slight salty taste. If you make it and bake it right away, it will be just fine.

2 c. finely chopped pecans.

Mix all thoroughly and spread over potato mix. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. If you made ahead of time, bring potatoe mix to room temp before baking.

^I added a 1/2 cup of sugar and a 1/2 cup of Hershey Dark Chocolate Syrup to the batter and it turned out awesome (tastes like a brownie now), except for the fact that it needed to stay in the oven longer now. It collapsed like a bad souffle in the movies when I removed it. It was a little undercooked, but yummy. My test tasters said it needed to cook a little longer, but they kept nibbling at it.

I'm going to try again on Wednesday night by cooking it an extra 15 minutes and using a toothpick this time to test it before taking it out of the oven.

That sounds really good! Ice cream, sugar, chocolate syrup...yum. Hmmm, I have left over ice cream from my daughter's birthday party yesterday, I may have to make some.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I brought my cookbook to work with me to post my pumpkin pie recipe in my baking thread, I thought I'd contribute some more to this thread too. This is an awesome pie. I'm not usually a big fan of coconut, but I love this pie!

Buttermilk Coconut Pie

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

1/2 cup butter, melted

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla

3 1/2 oz. flaked coconut, divided

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (don't get deep-dish!)

Pre-heat oven to 325. Combine the sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and 2/3 of the coconut. Mix well. Pour mixture into shell. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until set.

*I mistakenly bought a deep-dish crust last time I made this and the middle of the pie didn't set, but I had to take it out of the oven because the crust was burning. So don't buy a deep-dish shell! Also, I don't ever measure my coconut. I just add enough to make it a semi-thick consistency for the filling, and then just cover the top.

One more, for now. This is my grandmother's lemonade recipe. It's the best lemonade I have ever tasted. My husband can make himself sick on it. But be forewarned: It makes A LOT! This is good for holidays and family get-togethers.

Lemonade

About 12 large lemons (you'll have to juice them)

7 1/2 lbs. sugar (yes, you read that right!)

5 gallon bucket with a lid

The night before:

Cut lemons in half and squeeze to make 1 quart of lemon juice. Refrigerate overnight. Put half of squeezed lemons in a separate container and refrigerate overnight.

The next day:

Put sugar into bucket. Add 1 gallon warm water and stir until dissolved. Add refrigerated lemon juice and mix well. Fill bucket to a little over half full with cool water. Add refrigerated lemon peels. Cover. Just prior to serving add a bag of ice to the bucket.

Good with beer..but then again, what isn't?

Spicy Pretzel Mix

Spray large oven roasting pan with Pam and add:

22 oz bag of mini pretzels

2 large bags of Gardetto's snack mix (or any snack mix - Gardetto's is best if you can find it!)

3/4 box of Cheez-It's

1/2 jar of dry roasted peanuts

In a bowl stir & mix:

1-3/4 cup of oil

2 pkg of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry)

2 tsp garlic salt

2 tsp cayenne pepper

Pour oil/dressing mixture over pretzel mix and bake in oven at 200 degrees stirring every 15 minutes. Make sure the pretzel mix is well covered with the oil mixture as you stir it. Cool and store unused portions in a covered container.

Easiest fattening ACER Truffles.

ingredients.

1. A square of Philadelphia cream cheese.

2. A bag of Bakers chocolate or special dark can be used.

3. Any toppings such as almonds , sprinkles , or any of that art to taste.

Preperation-

1. Melt the chocolate of choice and you may wish to crush up some of it before hand with a hammer and plastic bag.

2. Add cream cheese to a medium bowl and begin to pour the melted chocolate into the bowl mixing as you do.

3. Add the crushed or shaved chocolate to the mix and let it melt.

4. The easiest mold to use is an ice cube tray but you can be creative.

5. Pour it into each mold and be generous the mix is creamy as heck!

6. If you wanna pull holiday pranks add cayenne pepper to it, well its not a prank, it can be mayan hot chocolate truffles.

Chill Freeze and Serve!

Oh what the hell, though I'm no Acer, here is the turkey gravy recipe I do every holiday.

After you baked your turkey, pour off all the drippings into a container and store it in your freezer until the fat on top starts to harden.

Take 4 tablespoons of that turkey fat and mix it with 6 tablespoons of flour.

Place the mixture in a nonstick pan and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula on high heat. This is the Roux that you will use to thicken the gravy. Stir constantly so it doesn't burn. First the mixture will look like a liquid and then it will clump up and look like a dough. Just keep stirring and eventually it will break back down into a liquid again. At this point it is nearly done, just wait till it begins to smell like toast and then pull it off the heat.

Skim the rest of the fat off the turkey drippings and place the liquid in a small pot over medium heat.

Stirring with a whisk, add the roux tablespoon by tablespoon to the drippings (be careful, the roux will roughly be the temperature of HOT LAVA). Make sure each tablespoon is fully incorporated into the mixture before adding the next one. Go slowly because you don't want to over thicken it.

Once the pot is boiling and it is at the thickness you like, stop adding the roux.

Add salt and pepper to taste and you are done.

Edit- If you do over-thicken it, add some chicken broth to thin it.

This sounds crazy, but try it, it's really good! It's sort of a breakfast bread. You can use any flavor of ice cream. Just make sure you don't use low-fat or fat-free ice cream because it won't work.

Ice Cream Bread

1 pint (2 cups) ice cream, softened

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Stir together ice cream and flour, stirring just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

I took Brandy's Recipe and created a PTR. The cook did not win an award at my the Annual bake-off at my company but myself and all the chocoholics loved it.

12069769_PICT0256(Medium).JPG.d258c21b9e5b81f502b3e3466c58cb3f.JPG

Fait d'accompli.

1123852931_PICT0254(Medium).JPG.f392b09574f7dc8b3f9ba33c02ac49c1.JPG

The baking has commenced.

2134122570_PICT0253(Medium).JPG.9027445a0775e590440aedeb3fe6b5e3.JPG

This was my dinner for the evening.

1222281623_PICT0252(Medium).JPG.e67acd1b2913c89fe0d5628a9d134275.JPG

Pour in rest of batter and top with more chocolate chips.

1982905900_PICT0251(Medium).JPG.b635a78459d9d3029f8e7d3676b6dedf.JPG

Dan close your eyes, more chocloate chips.

981305224_PICT0250(Medium).JPG.1a8df4fe945f8be33b9d8e5db686b676.JPG

Pour layer of batter into pan.

1234663330_PICT0249(Medium).JPG.630508211efcaca2a7837ef17e0f5970.JPG

Hey, batter batter batter. Swing batter batter batter.

810714129_PICT0248(Medium).JPG.1ef2f5947730f62806f3d8f82f9a1b8c.JPG

At the last minute I decided to line the bottom of the loaf pan with crushed chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chips as a crust.

1536513474_PICT0247(Medium).JPG.ecd26c1f9a314ceaa8395079a6acf8d9.JPG

Extra ingredient alert. Chocolate Syrup.

1408779690_PICT0246(Medium).JPG.0e40903cd5c48d1f9f0e1e0056b3ff98.JPG

Bring on the ice cream.

1947418408_PICT0245(Medium).JPG.0d04e352467dc976535158c47e6eacd9.JPG

Sugar and Flour in the mixing bowl. Exciting stuff.

377916195_PICT0244(Medium).JPG.70a66c912dfdc81226bee4546039f199.JPG

Ingredients. Check! Oh I took to liberty of making it richer by adding: 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and crushed Chocolate Chips cookies.

154012559_PICT0243(Medium).JPG.6c9d34a53b7dd0f9e116a3222193decd.JPG

Pre-Heat Oven to 350. Check!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've recently come up with a mac and cheese recipe, and it sucks. Because I can pretty much eat it until I'm about to throw up. Be sure to make an entire casserole dish for each person.

Now what's difficult, is I cook much more by feel than by measurement, so when I come up with something worthwhile, I have a hard time listing specific amounts. But I can tell you what I use, an estimated amount, and the process.

SUPER FANCY AMAZING BAKED MAC AND CHEESE

You need:

Flour

Butter (Just enough of those for a roux)

Milk

Sharp/extra sharp cheddar cheese (white or yellow, or both) 3-4c

Gruyere cheese 3/4c approx.

This is a funky part, at my grocery store (Wegmans!) There's the "fancy cheese section", and they sell plastic containers of a four cheese blend I use, consisting of Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan, and Provolone. So I really have no clue as to how much of each would be in the mix, but I'm sure any sort of cheese combination you could find like this would be good.

1/4 lb (measurement!) prosciutto, thinly sliced.

Pasta of your choice

Some seasnin's:

pepper

garlic powder

mustard powder

SO:

For the slices of prosciutto, I lay them on a cookie cooling rack over a cookie sheet, and bake them for maybe 10-12 minutes, 350 degrees would be fine, (keep an eye on them) just until crispy, then they can be taken out to cool.

I make a roux, starting with a few tablespoons of butter, then adding flour until it's got a very thick gravy-like consistency (can be formed but still flattens out on its own). Butter/flour can be adjusted for right consistency/amount needed.

You can get the water boiling for the pasta and get that in, too.

Cook the roux for at least a minute or so, constantly stirring around, to cook out the raw flour flavor.

Milk will be the base of the white sauce (Béchamel).

I was going to tell you to microwave it, so when it's added to the hot pan it isn't so shocking for the milk. However I just read that the actual definition of a Béchamel is a sauce made with scalded milk. I've done it both ways, really I suppose either is...fine. Warm or don't warm.

I'd suggest maybe 3-4 cups of milk. It depends on how much you'll need, and how much roux you have (Too much milk/not enough roux=thin sauce). Pour in some of the milk and whisk well, then continue whisking in the rest.

Now I add some pepper, a few sprinkles of garlic powder as well as some mustard powder.

The sauce generally shouldn't be left alone, and be sure to keep it moving, if not constantly, every few moments.

When this thickens, go ahead and add each type of cheese (shred the cheddars), one at a time until melted in.

Yumyumyumyumyum.

Go ahead and get a decent sized baking dish, put down some of the cheese sauce and fill with all of the cooked (or even *slightly* undercooked pasta). Crumble in the Prosciutto, and pour the rest of the cheese sauce. Don't try to use it all if you think you've got too much. It's the amount of cheese in the sauce, not the amount of sauce in the mixture, that you want. Any extra sauce can be refrigerated and melted into some pasta for a quick tasty mac and cheese.

Once all incorporated, sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese on top, and bake.

This evening, I did it at 400 degrees, for about 20 minutes. Just until it's all bubbly and good.

Here's the hard part. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes or so. It's MUCH better when it's had a chance to get slightly cakey and solidified.

I just finished a bowl of it now (one of about four), and I feel horrible. A marvelous selling point

Sorry to write such a book, and to be so misguiding. Just take the idea and see what works for you. And be sure to let me know how it turns out.

-Nick

• 11 months later...

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but here is a recipe for a traditional Italian Christmas dessert called Struffoli. My grandmother used to make this every Christmas, in probably 5 times the quantity of the recipe I have posted. Unfortunately, her recipes were not passed down so I created this by trial and error mixing and matching from various recipes I found on the internet.

I've made it twice this Christmas season with this recipe and it sure tastes like the wonder that last came from my grandmother's kitchen 25 years ago.

Dough

2 Cups Flour

4 Large Eggs

3 Tablespoons Sugar

¼ Teaspoon Salt

1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Glaze

12 ounces honey

1/3 Cup Sugar

Colored non-pareils

1. Place flour in large mixing bowl and make well in center.

2. Add eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla to the well, beat with fork until completely blended, then knead until smooth, add flour as necessary to reduce stickiness.

3. Allow dough to sit for 10 minutes.

4. Roll dough on lightly floured board until ¼ inch thick.

5. With a pizza cutter, cut of ¼ inch strip of dough, then cut the strip into pea size pieces, and roll into ball shapes.

6. Heat vegetable oil in frying pan. Bring to 350 degrees. If thermometer is not available test oil by dropping one ball into oil. When ball rises to top and is bubbling, oil is hot enough. Now reduce heat slightly.

7. Add dough balls 15-20 at a time to the oil, stir with slotted wooden spoon until golden brown.

8. Remove dough balls and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.

9. Heat honey and sugar in a sauce pan over low heat constantly stirring until it comes to a boil. Now lower temperature slightly to keep hot but not boil.

10. Add fried dough, about one cup at a time stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.

11. Remove the fried dough with a wooden spoon and place on a flat plate to cool.

12. Decorate by sprinkling non-pareils on top. (Some people use powdered sugar or cinnamon, so season to your taste).

Be warned, the cutting and shaping of the dough is time intensive. With two people, the whole process from steps one to twelve could take 2.5 hours. It is best to have one person cutting and shaping the dough while the other is in charge of the frying. If doing this as a one person operation the whole process will take 3.5 hours.

Edited by larrygator

I make this a lot and it's enough to feed a small army. You'll have plenty of leftovers if you only have 3 people eating it. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I got bored and threw some stuff together and it came out really well. I guess it's a variant of Cheeseburger Macaroni.

Ingredients

1 lb of ground beef

2 cups of elbow macaroni

1 cup of water

2 cups of milk

1 tbsp of corn starch

1 tsp of garlic powder

1 tsp of onion powder

1/2 tsp of pepper (you can use however much you want, I like a lot)

1/2 tsp of salt

1 block of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (once again, use whatever kind of cheese you want or just use 2 cups of the pre-packaged shredded cheese)

How to make it

1. Shred cheese and refrigerate it until later. Mix cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Brown beef in a large skillet, drain off any excess liquid.

3. Add elbow macaroni, add water, add milk, add dry ingredients mixture. Bring to a boil.

4. Bring it back down to a simmer (low/2-4 for the stove works best) and cover with the lid to the pan vented (otherwise if you turn your back for a second it boils over and that's a huge freaking mess)

5. Simmer for 10-12 minutes. During the last 2 minutes, add the shredded cheese and stir it in until it's all melted.

And that's it. It doesn't take long at all and it doesn't take a ton of work.

Blue Cheese Dressing (Stolen from David Rosengarten's very old FoodTV show):

-1 cup mayonnaise

-3 tablespoons minced red onion

-1.5 teaspoons minced garlic

-1/3 cup minced parsley

-1/2 cup sour cream

-1 tablespoon lemon juice

-1 tablespoon white vinegar

-1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Season to taste with salt and freshly-cracked black pepper.

Great with wings and celery.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a family favorite of mine and it's super easy to make.

MMMacaroni

1 reasonably sized box whole wheat macaroni

1 reasonably large can diced tomatoes

1 medium-large (to taste) onion

Any number of assorted cheeses

1 cup buttermilk

1 spoonful fancy mustard

1 spoonful cream cheese

pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix half can of tomatoes with macaroni. Blend other half can and onion smooth. Mix in tomato-onion sauce. Choose satisfactory amount of cheese and start putting chunks into blender. If your blender can add while mixing, pour buttermilk in during blending, if not add before. Mix in mustard, cream cheese, blend and add to macaroni. Stir in nutmeg. Place in oven for an hour (30-45m convection at 325*). Best served hot or warm in front of The Big Bang Theory with family.